August 6th, 2009

Dear President Obama #199: Report card day!

Reporter's Note: No matter how the weeks add up, I continue my quest to write a letter each day to the White House.

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

Congratulations on reaching another pretend milestone in your presidency; the 200 day mark! Ta dah! (Well, the way I count it, the actual day is Friday, but who is counting?) I’m not entirely sure why 200 days holds any particular significance. This is also your first Psoriasis Awareness Month, and we’re not making a big fuss about that. Just like we completely overlooked your first Ground Hog Day.

Nonetheless, we media types have decided to take stock of your progress at this particular time, and lacking any better hitching post for that task…well, I won’t complain about it any more.

Two hundred days, eh? Seems more like six-and-a-half months to me, but like the old saying goes, “Time flies when you’re writing to the leader of the free world.” I know a lot has changed for you since you raised your hand and took the oath on that chilly day in January. For starters I imagine when you hear someone say, “Here comes the president,” you no longer look around the room wondering where he is. I suppose you have grown at least vaguely accustomed to the Oval Office as “your” office. And perhaps you’ve accepted the rather startling notion that you can now call pretty much anyone in the world at any hour and he or she will not only take your call, the voice at the other end of the line won’t even complain that you just shot a perfectly good night’s sleep all to hell.

On the other hand, (and this is the tricky part,) life for many, many Americans has not yet changed much. This is kind of the same thing I told you after one hundred days and it’s still true. Unemployment is still a bear. The market is doing better, but hardly out of the woods. Housing prices may be stabilizing…or maybe not. And on it goes. We are certainly getting some indications that some things may be looking up a bit, but overall the problems we had when you started are still more or less the problems we have now.

Your critics will say you are spending so much that you are bound to make everything worse. Your supporters will say you are making such bold moves that you are bound to make everything better. All I say is what I’d say to anyone concerned with the march of time: All you can do is take each day as it comes, do your best, and move on to the next.

Rome wasn’t built in a day…or a hundred…or two hundred. Call if you get a moment amid the festivities. And btw, belated congrats on the birthday!

Regards,

Tom

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. meenas17

what does the report card state?Has Obama passed out, or still trying to master the craftsman of a President?What is his score?A semester has gone .Has he got a distinction?Has he done fair?Time has to answer. Till then-–.,

August 7, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  2. Als

I for one do not agree with CNN grade or their so called poll number. This is the hardest working President I've ever seen in my life time and all this man gets is a C. I dont believe that for a moment CNN. CNN can spin stories like a spider but I do not believe the Pres deserves or this administration should get a C. Bill Clinton did not get the jounalist free it was some behind the scenes action being done that took months before this deal took place. Hollywood better have the Pres and Hilary Clinton in their movie because they did the work.I believe the media on your part should get a D grade for being bias and not getting all the stories out their. CNN should get a U grade for not getting their facts right.

August 7, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  3. David Wheeler

I had high hopes for President Obama. I voted for him. However, what i have seen is a descent into the worst kind of partisan politics from Obama who said he would bring forth a different kind of environment in Washington.

Adding to the warping of Washington is CNN, with an obvious campaign of trying to discredit people attending town halls by constantly questioning whether it was all orchestrated. CNN did the same thing with the Tea Parties. I have watched the confrontations and have listened to people describe their participation and the fact of the matter is that many people are truly upset with Obama's reconfiguration of healthcare that will in the end bring about a one payer, universal control of healthcare delivery by the government.

In my opinion, CNN is working hard to provide disinformation about the town halls as if it is all controled by right wing wackos, and I personally find this way of using journalism to manipulate public opinion to be disgusting.

Along with President Obama, this is an attack on citizens who are not interested in constantly singing to the choir and who question a shift to a socialist left. Indeed, healthcare needs to be fixed, but when it comes at the expense of a cooperative effort between the left leaning media and the President, this is another move down in quality that has was a problem with GW Bush and is even worse with Obama taking over.

CNN, stop having a love affair with the President and be more honest about what is going on to truly inform people in this great country.

August 7, 2009 at 7:25 am |
  4. octwen

I want to let the American Public know that my comment's are being changed by CNN. this is not the first Time! I'v done alot of back ground on the comment's I voiced and Wrote. But as B.H.O Lovers's (CNN) they will not let my comment's be shown!. Please Ask them Why?.
    We'll maybe because I'm Trying to let people know that B.H.O is not Doing Right! and maybe because I'm giving B.H.O 4 F- as a score!. He is the most awful Person we've ever HAD! in the White House!!!!!
    He needs to be FIRED!

August 7, 2009 at 3:49 am |
  5. octwen

I give B.H.O 4: F-,F-.F-.F- Num 1: Is He's a Fake. Whose Fooled Almost Everyone!
    2.For Really Bad Decisions & Associations.( Rev.White's Hate for White People B.H.O Belonged 4 over 20 years!, His Choices for seats in Office and Suprm Court Just. " Problems with oweing Back Taxes & Otomyer being against White's and The under previlg.) . 3rd. F is for Fostering Hate against White / Black People. B.H.O is a Biggot himself! He said Michael Jackson Had Problems well shouldn't B.H.O look himself at the Man in the Mirror at Himself 1st? His Dad Cheated on his Mom, then Killed himself later in Life, B.H.O really was Born in Kenya as a Musilim. and then he felt like he didn't fit in with the White social Life. Then B.H.O Did Drugs, Drank, and had Sex with Men & Women. and His Wife is a White Person Hater too!. I can't Belive he's in the White House. Now we have B.H.O Calling the Police STUPID, and Sticking up 4 the Prof. that was Calling the Police Officer Bad Names, and Acting REALLY BAD!.

August 7, 2009 at 3:26 am |
  6. dottie

Dear Mr. President:
    you are not God; it's look as the American people want you to
    perform miracle ; like open up the red sea.like Moses in the
    ten commandments:l think you are doing an excellence job
    keep on doing what you are doing.with good advisor, you can satisfy everyone.keep on pushing for Health care for everyone, and
    pray for guiding on how to jump start the economy,people
    are in need for jobs.l know for a fact that you're merely a man,and
    you will make mistakes,but we learn from ours mistakes.
    we need to see the 1st family attending church on sunday
    morning,just as other President such as President Clintons
    , and we also need to see a bible in your hand. President Obama
    trust me,you will need spiritual incited and spiritual advisors to able to run
    the Country properly.you can not go it's alone,without some kind of
    spiritual guiding. Have you notice for 200 days,the media and
    the public have C's and D's your work performance,as you were attended grade schools.sooo! Mr .President hang in there
    and do good, go get em.

August 7, 2009 at 2:55 am |
  7. Maricela

This MEDIA CREATED 100 and 200 day stuff needs to go away. President Obama was elected for 4 years to do his job - let him do it and stop this "measuring stick" because all it is doing is making Americans turn against each other instead of Uniting. We have enough problems to work on Together without measuring days. Wishing President Obama strength and preserverance to continue doing his job in hopes that it will be fruitful for ALL Americans. God Bless Us All.

August 7, 2009 at 2:54 am |
  8. dottie

Dear Mr. President:
    you are not God; it's look as the American people want you to
    perform miracle ; like open up the red sea.like Moses in the
    ten commandments:l think you are doing an excellence job
    pray for guiding on how to jump start the economy,people
    are in need for jobs.l know for a fact that you're merely a man,and
    you will make mistakes,but we learn from ours mistakes.
    we need to see the 1st family attending church on sunday
    morning,just as other President such as President Clintons
    , and we need to see the bible in your hand. President Obama
    you will need spiritual incited and spiritual advisors to able to run
    the Country properly.you can not go it's alone,without some kind of