August 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/03/09

Hope you're having a nice Monday night. Here's what's on our radar: Could Pres. Obama have to back away from his promise of no new taxes for the middle class? Plus, a custody decision regarding Michael Jackson's children, but questions remain over his estate.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@ Mark Hill

Helter Skelter is from The Beatles back from 1968. First time I here it's from the Stones...

August 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Larry

G'nite you wonderful hosts & bloggers:)

August 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Cessy, Chicago

Goodnight, Erica!

August 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. kayjonescnn

Actually Helter Skelter was written by Paul McCartney and recorded first by the Beatles. I have to admit, I know the U2 version the best!

August 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

Well, that building sure was a stable one!

August 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Mary Walsh

Manson liked the Beatles. They recorded it to.... Also Sexy Sadie....

August 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Larry

@Mark Hill. "Helter Skelter" is a song written by Paul McCartney, credited to Lennon/McCartney, and recorded by The Beatles on The Beatles.

August 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Joe Terrogano

Wrong, it was the Beatles!

August 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Krasi

Mark Hill, it is a Beatles song. My dad has the album from back in the day:)

Good night everybody! Will have to watch the re-run yet again...

August 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Cynthia, NC

@Kathy Chicago – I agree. I can remember watching the movie, Helter Skelter, as a kid, years ago. It scared me then.

August 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night (Anderson), Erica, Survo, Gary T David G, Ed Henry and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with building so tall not enough to blow up too strong just flip-over!!!!!! LOL!!!!! that is so funny shot!!!!!!:D I wish I could see again alll day since this morning on CNN!!! Good shot!

August 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

When DDT was legal, malaria was greatly reduced worldwide. Now that it's banned, we get the results.

August 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  13. sheba

Now that is one man i would never want to meet in my entire life..Manson. I think i would faint at the site of that man – sick sick sick crazy and scary

August 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. tom

beatle song on the white album

August 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

I will keep my fingers crossed for Laura & Euna. good to see you Erica.

August 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Kathy Chicago

Great job tonight, Erica and Gary!

August 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

Kids don't play outside anymore! no sunshine because of video games inside the home..

August 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Mark Hill

Helter Skelter was a Rolling Stones song not a Beatles song. Don't know how your reporter could make that big an error!

August 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  19. Boye Akinyemi

I am a Nigeria and when talking about malaria, I know what it is to have the disease. I think laviciding (Killing mosqutos at the developmental stages) is the answer to the unending malaria issue in sub-saharan Africa.

August 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  20. ericacnn

intrigued by the news re: euna lee and laura ling. hoping for a good update on my BB in the a.m.!

August 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

I hope Bill Clinton will be successful! If they deny him, I don't know what will happen to the relationship between these two countries.

August 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

Just fascinating to listen to Drs Nathan Wolfe and Sanjay Gupta discuss the tracking of Malaria and H1N1. It is ironic that air transportation, generally the ease of transit makes us more vulnerable to diseases and viruses. Communications though help to absorb the impact of the possible rapidity of the spread of pandemic illnesses. It's interesting to think veterinary science and human medical science are so intertwined.

August 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Kathy Chicago

This Manson story is so creepy. I think that I saw a movie about the murders a while ago.

August 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Joe Terrogano

If ever there was a living advertisement for the death penalty, it Charles Manson. A nobody, petty criminal who manipulated a bunch of impressionable women and a drifter. All of the publicity has made this guy something that he is not.

August 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. kayjonescnn

Greetings fine 360 bloggers. Trying to get more info on Pres Clinton's trip to North Korea.

August 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Krasi

Why is he even allowed parole hearings? Honestly!

August 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. ericacnn

ok, better late than never! sorry for the delay. i have to admit, i enjoy talking to the guests in the breaks and then before you know it, it's 10:48!

August 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Sabrina In Los Angeles

Manson is psycho.

What a crazy plan and crazy man.

August 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Fay - California

The circumstances of Sharon Tate's murder are still unbelievably horrific and unimaginable.

August 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Larry

I don't understand why MJ's dermatologist has not been excluded as the biological father of the two children by Ms Rowe; after all, there may be hereditary traits that could manifest in the future and require medical treatment from the closest biological family member.
    Why a paternity test has not been done seems bizarre. Are the Jacksons afraid that they could lose $$?

August 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. gary tuchman

during the presidential campaign, we speculated quite a bit about what bill clinton would do if his wife won the presidency. well, she may not have won, but as secretary of state, we're now getting a definite answer to that initial speculation.

August 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Krasi

Ok, barely made it before the end of the live show! And the first piece of news I see is Charles Manson. People like him scare me since I don't think anything can change them for better.

August 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Tieshla in NY

Mosquitoes after biting chimpanzees then bite human beings,

August 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Mary Walsh

Katherine Jackson wants to be a trustee NOT an executor of the will. Trust governs will. There IS a trust. Your show should watch Larry King.....

August 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  35. ragz

great news for the thousands of young kids of africa. it will be awesome to see a vaccine for malaria .it might be next best thing to penicillin.

August 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

Hi Erica,

You look good in that chair.

Very interesting news regarding malaria. It's always good to hear medical breakthroughs for illnesses that take so many lives.

August 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Jewellyn

Dr. Klein appears to be lost and confused. The custody hearing does not invlolve him. Michael's children will surely grow to appreciate everything he (Dr Klein) did for their dad. Now they will grow up under the care of different doctors. Mama Jackson, please choose their doctors carefully.

August 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. ragz

Finally something to cheer about in the struggle against malaria.

August 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Cynthia, NC

The botched building explosion.....OMG!

August 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  40. tom

Now the building will converted to an upside down cake factory

August 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Gail in SC

Amen Caroline! i totally agree with your point . To try to tie together President Obama to the mess President Bush left behind is wrong.

August 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Isabel, Brazil

The use of the mask is sad, but aburso so necessary in such cases!

August 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Sabrina In Los Angeles

Why does it seem like Africa and Asia seem to have a large portion of the viruses/diseases/infections compared to other nations?

Is it the poverty and unclean situations?

August 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Bernie

Question about the Malaria Mystery, if it can be cured, what are the Socio-Economic Impact to Countries who are currently struggling with both population and poverty.If more lives are saved, at the infant stage, the impacts on population begin to evolve from Health to more Economic/Political issues.Careful what you wish for...

August 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  45. starr formerly known as vincent

Wow, what an amazing story about Malaria!

A vaccine-that would be wonderful.

@Caroline LA- thanks for straitening me out on CA law, i didn't know.

August 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. sheba

I don't buy it -I had malaria in 2000 and was so sick – in GW hospital...however, i don't buy that it comes from chimpanzees. The notion that all these diseases are from animals – is just evading that some of these diseases are man made by researchers...like hiv.

August 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Gail in SC

@ Mr. Gergen How much of the drop in tax revenues be attributed to the unwise tax cuts that President Bush gave while we were in 2 wars? I believe that some of this debt could have been avoided had President Bush not done that. It was not wise.

August 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm betting Clinton returns from Korea empty handed.

August 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Sabrina In Los Angeles

parasite is that small that a mosquito can transfer it?

Yick.

I think there are natural remedies like Garlic...mosquitoes don't like garlic.

August 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Suvro, AC360° & Gary Tuchman!
    YES!!!! I am so exciting for him get our american journalist out of N. Korea, My prayers our journals to remember! Can't wait!!! 🙂

August 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |