July 31st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/31/09

There are stunning new allegations in the murder of a Florida couple. Were Byrd and Melanie Billings the victims of a murder for hire plot? Plus, the spotlight isn't just on Dr. Conrad Murray in the Jackson death investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel, Brazil

I simply love lightning! I think this is a moment of beautiful of the nature, but preferably in a safe place.

July 31, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Renee

Thank God for these snake hunters! Just had a 13 footer caught right near a day care center. It took them 2 months to find her. Apparently the pythons like to hang out in drainage drains and ditches.

Then there was a FL case where the python got out of its cage and killed an infant in her bed!

Really FL needs to banning households having pythons unless they are microchipped and permitted. They IMHO belong in a zoo!

July 31, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson: Fascinating interview with the Python Hunter. Nothing like learning everything you wanted to know about pythons but were afraid to ask. Now, I'm just afraid..... Can't imagine running into a 200 lb. snake....eeek!

July 31, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Jim Miller

Is there a market for Python meat?

July 31, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. tom

I am taking all my snakes to local zoo Saturday. Bet they will love that

July 31, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Sam(antha), Boston MA

It was so interesting to find out that he did that without being paid. I don't really mind snakes but I wouldn't want them near my home or anything like that.

I feel like all my posts are on topics that have already been discussed! I only have a computer in the basement so I have to keep running up and down the stairs to watch the program and then to come on here and comment.

July 31, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Lori, IL

"The Shot" sounds a little scary to me - my grandfather was struck by lightening and killed instantly - so needless to say, I'm very respectful of the weather.....sounds like the person in "The Shot" was lucky.....

July 31, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

Anderson, Larry had sharks and you have snakes. What's going on? Some competition for Friday night nightmares?

July 31, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. LisaL - Canada

studied and killed for the sake of science. it sounds so practical. it would be pretty cool if they found out that some chemical in shed python-skin cured some terrible disease or horrible virus.

July 31, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Dulcie - Denver

It's really a shame, but I'm glad to hear the snakes are humanely euthanized. Pythons can be beautiful creatures but I sure don't want one in my backyard.

July 31, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Why do they have to destroy the pythons? I dont like them, but i wouldnt kill it

July 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Leah

I came from Asia and I used to own this giant snake back home. They are a beautiful animal and they belongs to the wild

US government should make it illegal to own snakes or import any wild animals for pet.
    There are so many people who think that they can handle this giant pet but they cannot.
    It's inhumane to keep them as pet and let them loose once they outgrowth the owner's need.

July 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Jacqueline, NY

Snake soup, anyone?

July 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

I have to say I fear the smaller snakes more than the big ones. But out west we have rattlers, those are venomous..... 😮 eeek!

July 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Zoee - Canada

Humanely euthanized; isn't that an oxymoron?

July 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Jacqueline, NY

We have rats and mice here in NY for the sakes in Florida.

July 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Lauren--NY

Interesting show tonight, 360 team. Thank you!

Anderson, travel safely tomorrow!

18. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

What are all these snakes eating? pets?

19. Lori, IL

Snakes in Florida are amazing - blown in by a hurricane!!!

20. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

Cool python report. I would not want to meet one myself though.

21. Isabel, Brazil

The snake is huge ... How disgusting ... lol ...

22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hi Bloggers! Joining late. The python report is unbelievable! I understand the concern but why do the caught snakes have to be destroyed? Can't they be sent somewhere?

23. Heather - Spokane, WA

This story is another reason why snakes should not be pets. Some people are not smart enough to realize that these animals get very big. It also reminds me of when you find abandoned cats and dogs and other animals, Some people do not want to take responsibility

July 31, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Patty A Banks palmdale, Ca.

@ Erica, rain....is that kinda wet and falls from the sky? must be nice haven't seen any in about 4 or 5 months

25. Tammy Somerville

Why do the snakes have to be destroyed? Can they not be relocated or sent to a zoo?

26. Lilibeth

Murdered couple, pill mills, too many pythons...why does everything happen in Florida?

Lilibeth, WA

27. Nattada, Houston, TX

Good evening everyone.
    How happy could we be when it is Friday!! 😀

Whoww...that is a big snake. What a poor snake!! Did I hear he will be destroyed??

28. tom

Snakes are too creepy for me

29. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Whoa! Now that was amazing!I used to live in Florida, I'm kind of glad I don't live there anymore!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 31, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Julie - Boston

and volunteering to catch those nasty things...god love that man!

July 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Lisa

Hey everyone! Keep your dogs on a leash. That is dessert for the Pythons. Or maybe it's a good thing then the Pythons could eat all the millions of aguanas we have here that people put to the wild when they got too big. I hope I spelled it right.

July 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Isabel, Brazil

I am really very urban ...
    These pythons are too much for me!

Anderson, I think I never could make Planet in Peril ... lol ...

July 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Zoee - Canada

I hope these snakes are being removed humanely. They should not be punished for human mistakes!!

July 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Julie - Boston

Pythons...I don't want to run into one of those at night. or anytime for that matter.

July 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

I have to admit I was surprised at how much vicodin my doctor gave me the other day. BUT I have severe arthritis and am waiting on a hip replacement. I can't even take a whole one unless I want to lay on the sofa like a zombie. Can't even imagine taking dozens of them. I'd be horribly ill.

July 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Jacqueline, NY

Oh, oh, oh, oh! The snakes are gigantic!

July 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Katie, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I saw that 17 foot python on the local news today and they said two young kids found it when they were fishing, scary.

July 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Lori, IL

@Anderson - let's hope that computerized medical record systems can be expanded into this area..... the technology available is not being used to it's fullest potential.... however, if people are using aliases, even this won't work.....

July 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Robert Perin

i believe the pharmaceutical companies will come out the big time winners in health care reform. Their lobbyist are everywhere in Washington I bet

July 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Conrad

The cash for clunkers sucess is not just the sale of vehicles, it also includes federal revenues from the dealerships profits, the comisson of sales consultants salvage yards, parts manufacturers and so forth. It is a good thing to be frugal with stimulus dollars, this administration may not have to spend the entire amount, but if they do let it be targeted towards the hard working Americans across the spectrum.

July 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

Nice to see you David Gergen, if exports and private investment are up that's good. I could see the bailout, intended to loosen up credit have an effect on that.

Heidi, I agree with that point very much, though I guess there is the question of confidentiality and HIPPA access. It would also be the responsibility of anyone close to Michael Jackson to call him on a prescription drug problem if he had one.

July 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. adam

how is every body doing

July 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Jackie Cole

With all the technology we have it is amazing that drug purchases can't be cross checked. I don't like snakes, but I'm with Erica, I might go up in the plane thing.

July 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

dentist!? ugh, I have to go Monday!

Creepy and ironic about the story. Hair color has something to do with pain!? wow....

July 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Miranda H.B. CA

Color of your more pain no way how about the people who dye their hair like me Anderson....Im more in pain seeing the big snake...aaah and ewww

July 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Karin, Ky

I don't like being put to sleep for surgery. I can't imagine WANTING to have it done regularly.

July 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Dulcie - Denver

Even I have considered buying a new car and I've been prepared to hold onto my truck until it's totally dead. Ultimately though, I really can't afford the car payments. I'm a public employee, don't make a lot of money and it's unlikely we'll see any raises this year.

Overall though, I think the economy is a bit better. Let's say that it sucks a little less.

July 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. shane

Anderson, Im in nova scotia canada, with out CNN i wouldnt know whats going on in the world.
    Thank you for keeping them honest.

July 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Kathy Chicago

Yikes, pythons are creepy. I hope they clear them out before I visit in Nov.

July 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Tammy, Houma, LA

I know when I worked inpatient addiction treatment, we dubbed pain management centers "legal drug dealers". My clients would tell me they could get the "trinity" oxy, xanax, and soma easily. And they would go from clinic to clinic with no problem. Plus, there is the illegal street market when the legal one stops dealing.

July 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |