July 31st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/31/09

There are stunning new allegations in the murder of a Florida couple. Were Byrd and Melanie Billings the victims of a murder for hire plot? Plus, the spotlight isn't just on Dr. Conrad Murray in the Jackson death investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. tom

It would be interesting to see exactly how easy it is to get drugs online

July 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. LisaL - Canada

i'm still amazed at how many people seem to be addicted to so many different things. it would be interesting to be able to separate psychological and physical addictions, and how they overlap.

July 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. cheryl

At the pain clinic i go to i have to have drug test whenever they want to test me. it is more strict in canada.

July 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Matthew

yea but theirs always a way around the system

July 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

I dont like taking my 2 meds and 1 vitamin everyday....why would I want to take 20-30 a day?

July 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Rikki

Diprivan doesn't make you "sleep" it puts you into an unconcious state. Quite a difference. No dreams whatsoever. Very bad.

July 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

All those pills disgust me....so sad how easily you can have access to them.

July 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  8. andersoncnn

amazing they havent had a monitoring system in florida.. and that a number of states still dont have one!

July 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Isabel, Brazil

the abuse is impressive with the pills ... as if it were trivial

July 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. wanda collier-abbott

Hey...I feel it...I feel it. The economy to getting better & many people I speak to (family, friends, & clients) have noticed it as well. After years of a dead real estate market here in Sacramento, people are starting to buy again, feel good about spending more, and my phone is ringing much often more now-a-days. Hey President Obama...Now get health care passed w/the public option & I'll love you always!!

Wanda, Sacramento, CA

July 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Jacqueline, NY

How sad. Anderson, I want to stay away from those sleeping aids.

July 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  12. gingersa

Cash for clunkers...looking like a huge success!

July 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Julie - Boston

Spending will stimulate the economy. Cash for Clunkers is great, need more programs like it to get people spending again.

Recession over, no. But, if people start spending, I think it is a push in the right direction.

July 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Lisa

I think the President should have a live discussion on TV with both parties in both houses and go over every line of the healthcare bill. Then maybe we would understand what the heck they're talking about.

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Jacqueline, NY

Pill mills?! Unbelievable!

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  16. tom

David Gergs is one cool guy.Talk about fair and balanced

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Sam(antha), Boston MA

If Health Care reform does actually pass and begin to take affect, would it decrease the quality of care at all?

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Bill

I think we're climbing out of recession. Through my work as an insurance agent, I have noticed that more people were buying cars & houses in the last three months than about this time last year.

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Katie, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

What is it with Florida tonight? All these problems, Murders and pills and snakes OH MY!

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Cynthia, NC

There's no way this recession is over, just look at the number of people who are unemployeed. Jobs aren't being created fast enough to get those people back to work.

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Sarah in FL

The Recession isn't over.

And, I live near Pensacola & the Billings murder case is getting stranger every day.

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

David Gergen rules Thanks for being on tonight you are the best !

July 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Sona, Los Angeles

Unfortunately, I think the recession is still far from over.. we have taken great strides but millions of Americans out there who have lost their jobs and are struggling can argue otherwise... Still have hope for the best though =)

July 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Miranda H.B. CA

Hey ya Anderson,

To borrow from Indiana Jones "snake, I hate snakes". I agree and spiders too!

Miranda

July 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

Good question Anderson, was Michael Jackson's health care coordinated? Did his doctors work with each other? I'd be surprised if they didn't especially if he had chronic illnesses.

Thanks for shot of the Shuttle landing sorry to miss that this morning.

Good to hear the economy is looking up, as charted on the Financial Dispatch blog, current GDP is a strong upturn.

Ali Velshi cracked me up calling cash for clunkers low hanging fruit, but it's kind of nice for the President to score on that one, good to see the theory work. It's interesting that the program could spark demand that quickly.

July 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  26. LisaL - Canada

the Cash for Clunkers program is pretty cool, actually. interesting to see how a relatively low-profile program seems to be doing so well.

July 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Joe C Aston,PA

I am not convince on the economy.. Less bad still isn't good. The GDP number today can and will be revised... What was the revision to previous GDP numbers that came out today?

July 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

I hope David Gergen is right and we can move forward on health care reform. It's good to see him again. I guess he hasn't had much to say about Michael Jackson.

July 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Martina Ilstad Germany

I dont think by a car,only jou get money for the old one,here in Germany Govermant did it,to support the economec,but it was not a good idea,because maybe people will not have more money in the next year to pay their credits back.and that will be the next problem.

July 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Pres Obama has to have the answer for this recession i hope change will happen .

July 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Tim

Health care reform is on the way regardless of the worn out scare tactics of the GOP. No plan of their own but plenty of money to spend trying to defeat reform. Forget bipartisanship because America needs health care reform and the votes are there

July 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yell, thank David!

July 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Jobs are being lost here and the small town will be crushed by the loss of John Deere very soon 800 jobs gone .

July 31, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Jacqueline, NY

Good to see Gergen angain. I missed hearing his sound voice.

July 31, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Lori, IL

I believe President Obama should claim credit when things go right ... he certainly gets blame when things go wrong -

I disagree a little bit with David Gergen - the economy pretty much became President Obama's economy the day he took office. People tend to blame the person in office for their woes -

July 31, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Tammy, Houma, LA

The cash for clunkers is a great idea if people can afford the car note that goes with putting only $4500 down if one only uses this.

July 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Jacqueline, NY

Lord, I hope the prez is right.

July 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Sandra T

I heard today about the new numbers being a sign that the resesion is over, I find it hard to believe that there has been much improvement in 3 months.

July 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Hope

Jobs will be created for the auto industry...

July 31, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Graced by The Gergenator and V$$?

I thought tonite's show was already swell, but now it just got even better. I always enjoy Gergen's commentary.

July 31, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Karin, Ky

My local news said "Cash for Clunkers" would last maybe one more week before they put a halt to it.

July 31, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Hi Anderson and Erica. I'm just waiting for the python story. Now that looks incredible. I don't think I want to comment on anything else. Too sad. Ijust lost my Dad today and that has me quite sad enough. He was of an age and it was expected but it still makes me sad.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Heather - Spokane, WA

After the 'cash for clunkers' deal is over, what are they going to do with all of the old cars?

July 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

yes people do crazy things for money i agree @ Jacqueline . It's sad .

July 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

Thanks for making the economic news easy to understand.

Here are a few points on my list – be informed (e.g watch AC360), use a budget, eat healthy, exercise daily, work towards short and long term goals etc.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

July 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Lori, IL

Love when Ali is in the studio - breaking things down with his graphs.

Not surprised the "cash for clunkers" is going over so well - I know lots of people who were waiting for the program to begin and buying a car because of this offer...

July 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Jen, Albany NY

Happy Friday everyone! TGIF! 🙂 Yes the rain must stop, I'm praying to the sun Gods 😉

July 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

One of the car dealerships in town sold out of their cars on The Clunker program....I was as surprised as the dealer about him selling out!

July 31, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Sandra T

Now I understand why he had so many surgeries it was never about his looks but more about finding ways if gaining access to the protofol.

July 31, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Why would anyone want exotic pets they are not meant for that .They belong in thier natural habitat .

July 31, 2009 at 10:28 pm |