July 30th, 2009

Deal reached for custody of Michael Jackson's children

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/30/jackson.children.custody/art.rowe.gi.jpg caption="Debbie Rowe will not pursue custody of the children she bore with Michael Jackson, a lawyer says."]

Alan Duke
CNN

Michael Jackson's ex-wife and the mother of his two oldest children, Debbie Rowe, has agreed not to challenge the singer's mother for custody of the children, according to a joint statement from lawyers for Rowe and Katherine Jackson.

The agreement does not involve any financial payments to Rowe "apart from the continuation of spousal support payments" that Michael Jackson personally agreed to make to Rowe after their divorce, the lawyers said.

Rowe will get visitation rights with the children and the "timing, frequency and manner of visits shall be implemented according to the best interests of the children, as determined by a child psychologist selected jointly, and paid jointly," by Jackson and Rowe, the announcement said.

Keep reading...

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Michael Jackson
  1. dottie

wait minutes! what are these people talking about.
    the jacksons family is paying debbie Rowe spousal.
    if this is true .l tthink Debbie Rowe is a Gold digger.duh!
    michael is dead, l agree she is 'insane'.. but they want to keep
    those kids,anything to make her go away.
    give her a dollar a day.threrefore she get 356 dollars a years.
    she is a joke, for real.

July 31, 2009 at 4:05 am |
  2. dottie

wait minutes! what are these people talking about.
    the jacksons family is paying debbie Rowe spousal.
    if this true .l tthink Debbie Rowe is a Gold digger.duh!
    michael is dead, l agree she is 'insane'.. but they want to keep
    those kids,anything to make her go away.
    give a dollar a day.threrefore she get 356 dollars a years.
    she is a joke, for real.

July 31, 2009 at 4:02 am |
  3. SandraWI

In such a tragic situation, it's comforting to hear that all parties involved decided to what's best for the children and in this case really mean it. The Jacksons home is where Micheals children are most familiar and at least while they are dealing with the loss of their father, they shouldn't be further tramatized by being removed from that home to live with a mother they don't know and being seperated from their youngest brother, he's got a different mom. Katherine, I know your doing the best you can, i'm sure god will help you.

July 31, 2009 at 2:34 am |
  4. Linda

I think she is tired of her bad name and all the bad media attention and I think it affects her so much that she probably is less focused on money this time. Or she could have made a deal with the Jackson family behind doors regarding money.....and is keeping it so hush hush so that the media does not find out.

July 31, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  5. michelle jones

I wanted to comment about Joe Jackson. First, he should quit talking !
    It's so obvious what he's planning. First his cashcow son dies, so what does he do? Celebrate!! Yea!- how is he? "Fantastic!" he says as he announces his new record label. Then trouble, What – a will??!!! No money?? Dang, O.K. Plan B– The Jackson 3!! "that little blanket can dance!" Then trouble, What- a will??!!! No custody for me?? Dang, O.K. Plan 3- The Hidden Jackson Love Child!!!! "now listen to this, this is a good statement right here!" this kid is a Jackson, he looks like a Jackson, He dances like a Jackson! I could sign him to my new record label as the second coming of the King!! A new kid with authentic MJ blood running thru his veins!! Yea Bingo!!! Can't you just see the poster?? I guarantee Joe Jackson can.

July 31, 2009 at 2:21 am |
  6. Tammy, Houma, LA

I've said since the beginning, an egg donation and uterus rental for nine months don't make a woman a mom. It's ultimately up to the children whether or not they even want anything to do with her in their lives. I am not sure I could love someone who carried me for nine months, gave birth to me, and regarded me simply as a personal slush fund. That is pretty much the state of affairs in this case. The upside is that the children have their grandmother, aunts, and hopefully nanny in their lives who can show them real maternal love.

July 30, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  7. Asta

hmm...she is realy INSANE,spousal suppot while the spouse is DEAD!!

July 30, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  8. lampe

Exactly how do you think she used him, when he was alive? She is the one who carried those children for 9 months, not Michael. And do we really know what went on between the two of them? He could have been the one leading her on," OH Honey, you give me two children , and you and I will be together forever." Michael had millions and millions, he just bought what he wanted, when he wanted too.

July 30, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  9. jen

Cindy..Ga.: You comment on every single article I've seen here. And always with a hint of bile–Seems you won't be satisfied any way they resolved the issue? It looks like the Jacksons and Rowe reached the best arrangement for the kids. What good does it do us to speak badly of Rowe, or the Jacksons or whoever else? It's actually none of our business. Let's just wish them well–all of them.

July 30, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  10. Belinda Oxendine Strickland

Yes! i am glad those children do not have to go thru a custody battle. Their life has already changed dramicatically, and come on...these are children. I am thrilled to know no battle. I believe atherine Jackson will do fine. Michael wanted his Mother to care for his young in the event of his death. She appears Healthy! Rest in Peace Michael & May God bless Princess Michael, Paris, & Blanket!

July 30, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  11. alice NYC

I wonder how much she got. I think her custody should be permanently removed so that she doesn't get to BLACKMAIL the family again.

July 30, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  12. Connie

Hi five to the previous two commentors! The first was conpassionate and the second was logical. Michael Jackson is deceased therefore the spouse can not make payments.

July 30, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  13. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Umm..You are absolutely right Cindy. And that is what that amounts to. Sad but true! I don't know how they feel about it right now, but when they are older they will look at it in a whole different way. Then she will no longer be a winner she will be a definite loser because they may opt to have nothing to do with her Mother or no. What goes around usually comes right back around at you.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 30, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  14. Andrew D. graham nc

I wonder how much is getting this time to stay away.

July 30, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  15. Angela

She used him when he was alive and she's using him while he is immortal. That is classic Debbie Rowe. She is once again not able to distinguish a life from a dollar bill. Man...those are gonna be some psychologically confused kids. And why is Katherine having to pay her spousal support. Last I checked when the spouse died so does the support. This is just insane!!

July 30, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  16. Cindy

UMM..HELLO...the Jackson's are paying Rowe off by giving her spousal payments. Once Jackson died those payments are supposed to be stopped since he's no longer living. Do they think we are stupid or what!?

Once again Rowe is taking money instead of her kids. What a winner she is!! She's a poor excuse for a mother!

Cindy..Ga.

July 30, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  17. Annie Kate

I'm glad for the children's sake that the custody question was handled so well and speedily. Its bad enough to lose one's father prematurely as they have done without the specter of separation and custody fights. I wonder how much oversight Janet Jackson might have with the children, considering her mother's age. I hope family life becomes a little more normal for them; they seem to be well-behaved sweet children.

July 30, 2009 at 5:45 pm |