July 29th, 2009

Mother allergic to own baby

Telegraph.co.uk

Mrs Mackie, 28, could not even cuddle her new born son James or pick him up because she was in so much pain.

The new mother was forced to cover herself in Muslin cloth before she went near her son.

After a skin biopsy she was diagnosed with Pemphigoid Gestationis, a rare skin disease caused by an allergic reaction to her baby developed while she was still pregnant.

Mrs Mackie was put on a course of strong steroids and after a month the blisters subsided leaving her able to hug James for the first time without feeling pain.

"The idea of not being able to hold James for that long was unbearable," said Mrs Mackie. "At first, when I was told I was allergic to my own baby I thought it was some sort of joke.

Read more...

Filed under: Beyond 360 • T1
  1. pee wee

that,s nuts no one is like that.

August 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  2. Lori

Good evening everyone. i wonder where else in the world this rare allergy is? Are they going to research this any further? Seems like the Dr's diagnosed it very soon after the outbreak, which is great, especially for the baby's needs of his mother touch., and vise-versa. i have just never heard anything like this before. But, ive never heard of Erdington either.

July 30, 2009 at 1:12 am |
  3. Peggysue Boos

I have never heard of this before, learn something new every day

July 29, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

It would be terrible to be allergic to your baby – now to your teenager I understand. I'm glad she got a treatment that worked and she can hold her baby now.

July 29, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  5. Sharon Gomes

Hey Andy hope it's okay for me to call you Andy, I look at your show all the time and I think you are so cute. On a serious note that is so sad that she can't hold her bundle of joy I know she will get through this, just be strong.

July 29, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  6. Christina

I would like to think of something original to say but I come up empty. Like everyone has already stated, this is the saddest story I've ever heard. I am so glad she was able to finally hold her baby. There is nothing sweeter than holding a baby, especially for the mom.

wishing her good luck and a long and happy life with her new baby and husband.

July 29, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  7. Rachelle Hellfire

I'm allergic to my mom. Who isn't?

July 29, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  8. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

This story is very bizarre and sensational, and therefore interesting. I would go with this one. The dog story isn't really attention-grabbing, even if you love dogs as I do. Sweet that its life was saved, but it doesn't have the same impact as stories involving people.

July 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  9. Jess

That's a crazy story! I've heard of women getting allergic reactions, usually during their first pregnancy, but it clears up after the baby has been born, but never heard of an allergic reaction after the baby had been born, very sad.

Thankfully they've found a solution for this new mom.

July 29, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  10. Tracy-louisiana

never heard of this! how crazy,poor mom

July 29, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  11. Jeanine Enriquez

I have a wonderful holistic Dr. here in So. California whom could help her naturally, he is truly an amazing kind, caring Man whom actually wants to cure people. His name is David Karaba he is located in Orange County Ca. Here is his phone number 562-846-8418. I hope a cure is found terrible disease, this is heart breaking.

July 29, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  12. Kristen, MD

That's a sad story. At least she got some medication to help her.

July 29, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  13. Kathryn

Is the allergy permanent? If so, will the steroids keep it under control? Is there any danger from taking steroids long term that would prevent this?

July 29, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  14. candice

that is the saddest thing ever.

July 29, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  15. Aiulu

Wow, yeah that must have been hard on her and what was the cause of the allergic reaction in the first place? Was it something she ate, drink or medication she took during her pregnancy?

July 29, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  16. Aubrey

Wow! Crazy!

July 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  17. Erinski Easy

I still think it's some sort of a joke

July 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  18. Cindy

HMM...never heard of this happening before. Really weird! I bet Mrs. Mackie was totally devastated that she couldn't hold, cuddle or care for her son for a while. Thankfully they cured it and she can now touch her son without breaking out.

I wonder how many times this has ever happened before?

Cindy...Ga.

July 29, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  19. candidgyal

That's a sad story. I can't imagine being allergic to my baby girl.

July 29, 2009 at 4:48 pm |