July 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/29/09

We're following new developments in the Michael Jackson death investigation. We now know how many doctors investigators have identified as writing prescriptions for the singer. We also know how many aliases Jackson apparently used to get the drugs. We'll have those stunning numbers for you. And, just how easy is to get your hands on narcotics? 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta investigates.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel, Brazil

I don't like tanning bed, but my sin is walking on the beach.
    Tanning bed I did once and I felt suffocated inside. 🙂

July 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Cessy, Chicago

My AVEENO continous radiance moisturizing lotion just works fine...

July 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. debra (New York City)

You know i always thought that those beds were not safe – imagine a machine that tans your skin – duh!! ofcourse its dangerous.

July 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Lori, IL

Knew there was a reason I never used a tanning bed. My skin is whiter than Anderson's and I would have come out lobsertized!

July 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. libby

Bad news for anyone who owns a tanning center.. but it's good to have the info.

July 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

The lotions they always want to sell you bc they apparently make you tan better, only add carcinogenic chemicals to the mix.

July 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Jim M

What data is available on individuals who have health insurance but whose coverage is far from comprehensive. I have heard of some cases where an individual had health insurance; however, after unexpected major surgery and hospital care they were forced into bankruptcy due to inadequate coverage.

July 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Sam(antha), Boston MA

@Heather in Spokane, WA

I'm pretty much see through as well. I enjoy being pale though. Granted I get quite a few comments about whether I'm wearing white tights or not, I'd still rather have that than burnt skin and Cancer.

July 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Nai, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I think they should definitely ban texting while driving. It is not fair for some people to follow the rules out of courtesy and then see some teenage punk holding his cell phone on the wheel!

July 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Rafael Peralta Bronx.Ny

Good Night everybody

July 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Joyce M

I agree with Candy – this needs to be decided by the people who are uninsured and the underinsured...period. The over insured or even insured should be out of this discussion. Poeple need help out there – I am with the president.

July 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Sharon Hastings

Not many tanning beds in south Florida. We just step outside.

July 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Tanning beds, the old ones, have UVA and UVB rays...the B rays are the ones that burn and cause cancer. Also the Mega and other high level ones tan you in the time it would take to tan laying out 3-5 times!

Too much at once.

July 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I thought that we already knew tanning beds were as bad as regular suntanning... After many sunburns, I've finally just given up on tanning 🙁

July 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

Great show tonight. Everyone have a good evening.

July 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Lori, IL

Great info from Candy - like that the President is out there selling his plan to the American people. He is obviously in tune with what's going on outside the "Washington bubble" - directing his message today to a different sector - this is a very refreshing change from the past administration.

July 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

That tanning beds cause skin cancer is nothing new. Why so upset now?

July 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Renee

@ Jasmine: Do you mean Medicare for everyone? AARP is an organization you join when you are over 50.

July 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I am so confused by health care reform – I don't understand what it means to me, the insured, and what it means to my mother, the elderly uninsured.

July 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Saveena, Pennsylvania

What does this mean to those people who have healthcare reform in regards to their premiums?

July 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Please explain how we can pay for 50 million new people's healthcare and pay less ourselves. It defies logic.

July 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Lisa A. – Philadelphia, PA, I agree. Lucia Whalen is the innocent one in all of this. Gates had no right to berate her and the media should not be ignoring that point.

July 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Peggysue Detroit, Mi

I agree with you cinthia from n.c

July 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

After you subtract people here illegally, Medicare eligible people, and those who have the means but don't buy healthcare there are only 10 million without it out of 310 million. How is this a 'crisis'?

July 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Cynthia, NC

Health care.........wonder if Washington will ever agree on a workable plan? I wish all of them would put the party issues aside and view this as what is best for the American people.

July 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Isabel, Brazil

@Megan Dresslar

I live in a tropical country where sun is almost the whole year and I confess that I quite neglect the sunscreen, but I should not.

July 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Lori, IL

Anderson and Team 360 - please go more on the health care reform issue - it'a important and will effect us all.

July 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

My healthcare plan:

Make AARP for everyone and not old people....

that's a start...

July 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its sad when things like the event in Texas happens and brings in more negativity to our country. We have enough negativity going around as it is

July 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Sam(antha), Boston MA

It's so discouraging to see what was happening in Gary's piece. As an Optimist I really wanted to hope for the best in racial situations once President Obama was elected, but this just further proves how much further people still need to come. My cousin was a skinhead but decided to stop his life style when I was born since my father is Jewish, but I still have a hard time understanding how he got into the lifestyle to begin with. Racism and prejudice do not make sense to me. I agree with Lucia Whalen when she said that you should judge people not by their race or ethnicity but by their character. I will respect and listen to anyone so long as they respect and listen to me. And it's just terrible that the African American people feel as though they need to be violent in order to stop what is happening to them. Whatever happened to non-violent protest? I guess in this generation things like that are just no longer effective.

July 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Christine

I feel badly for this woman. Anderson, thanks for repeating that there is a discrepancy between the 911 call & PO Crawley's report!! It definitely beared repeating!!

July 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Boy, those small town of the USA of the "good old boys" got to get it together with the times.

July 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. gretchen

Anderson,this texas case is awful.Everyone is wondering about home grown terroist,we have always had home grown terroist,KKK,skin heads,gangs of all racist. But the most long lasting terroist are the klan and skin heads,but they won't stop these groups,so now it's the new black panthers.I'm just saying, terroist did not start with Islam,and hate runs deep.Because it's been so tolerated under the "free speech" it will continue to grow.

July 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree some bloggers,
    I used all times sunblock, when I have go to work, must protect my skin without cancer, I had learn own my lesson use sunblock all times!

July 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. jacqueline, ny

Nah, he's not crazy. He's just missing a crew somewhere.

July 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Great report by Gary! He gets people to talk to him because he is so professional.

The Klu Klux Klan, the New Black Panther Party, and the skinheads are the same type of trouble makers and race baiters. None of them deserves a pass.

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Vickie_AR

Wow! A roller skating roller coaster rider. Wonder when happens if he catches a cramp? 🙂

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

i thought you could only do so much with roller coasters to make them more exciting, like not wearing your seat belt, but rollerskating on one?

Count
    me
    in!

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. jack

Hey Erica,
    You're super cool

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Debra

So sad about what is happening in Paris, Texas.

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Why do some people have to be involved in a fight? Fight for jobs, food and shelter for your people – because that doesn't care what color your skin is.

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Isabel, Brazil

@Suvro

Again... Thanks! We can only wait again! 🙂

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. jacqueline, ny

Is man riding roller coaster on roller skates crazy.. Uh, duh! LOL!

July 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Fay - California

Sounds like a very explosive situation in Paris, Texas – I certainly hope something can be done to cool things down to stop more violence from occurring .

July 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Michelle – I agree. It's disheartening that racism continues to be so prevalent in the US.

July 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Minou, New York City

Go Germany! lol..

July 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Those race wars really upsett me cause I see it every single day with the Haitians. They're treated so bad here in DR and the truth is that they're very nice people. It's just sad 🙁

July 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. jacqueline, ny

July 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Anthonia-california

Only 8months in jail? Thoes two men needed to stay longer in jail...! and i cant believe this racism issue is still going on in America...! unbelieveable!!

July 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Larry

Who was the neighbor that asked Ms. Whalen to call 911?

July 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |