July 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/29/09

We're following new developments in the Michael Jackson death investigation. We now know how many doctors investigators have identified as writing prescriptions for the singer. We also know how many aliases Jackson apparently used to get the drugs. We'll have those stunning numbers for you. And, just how easy is to get your hands on narcotics? 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta investigates.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michelle-Boston

Are doctors looking at any links between tanning beds and breast cancer?

July 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Debra

Erica
    That is really disturbing about the prescriptions!!!!! Too easy to get.

July 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Maybe the question isn't why would Murray kill MJ cause he needs money but wouldn't he give MJ any drug/treatment he wanted to make sure he stayed on staff?

July 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Renee

Did anyone think pharm. #2 was racial profiling Dr. Gupta? Since he looked clean cut he filled the Rx.

July 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

It is scary how easy it is to get narcotics that easy. Dressed nice or not, that is scary

July 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

What shocks me is that no one recognized a former candidate for Surgeon General...

Um, that's really sad....

Nice job Sanjay!

July 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Sam(antha), Boston MA

I'm not surprised that there is more information emerging about the Cancer risks of tanning beds. They never seemed like a good idea to me. I'm seventeen and other girls my age will use any excuse to go to a tanning bed. They don't even realize how much damage they are doing to their skin. I'm as pale as pale goes, and I try to take care of my skin as best as I can, so tanning beds were never appealing to me. I enjoy being pale and I just wish other people did as well so they could stop harming themselves. They may not see the effects now but unfortunately they will down the road.

July 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

That poor pharmacist. He was clearly embarrassed. Good thing Dr Gupta is so nice and polite.

July 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Linda-Portland, OR

i feel bad for this pharmacist........we need to change the way people get their medicine

July 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Sarah

Thanks Nicole! Omer looks like the Tito's sons from 3T! I really like seeing Gupta's research. Great info...

July 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Isabel, Brazil

@ Anderson

How easy is it to have access to these drugs?
    So easily... it's scared me!

July 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

Hi Anderson, Erica, and bloggers,

Joe Jackson talks too much for his own good. Everytime he speaks he is hurting Michael's memory for us all. He really needs to stop.

I feel so bad for young Paris being at home that day. That shouldn't have happened to her.

July 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Teresa, OH

Who would deny Dr. Gupta a prescription if he showed his ID? lol

July 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sorry,but i am so tiered,i will try to sleep again.
    Will be a buzzy day tomorrow,and all the promisse it ,will be a bad rainy day,too.
    Where is the summer?
    Maybe see you tomorrow
    Have a nice show,and a good night.

July 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

ugh, I can use 60+ SPF sunscreen regularly and I still get tanned.....

I think skin cancer will be the death of me someday....

July 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I can't wait hear what Dr. Sanjay Gupta's reporting in the operation room! I love Dr. Sanjay Gupta........ He is best doctor!

July 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Vickie_AR

I think Katherine is just looking out for the children. After all, when she's gone, the kids get her 40%. So, the kids will have 80% of what? $$$$$

July 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  18. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. Disturbing news coming up from Sanjay re: Rx

July 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Lori, IL

@ Auvro - beautiful sunny day in Chicagoland area - hopefully, you'll get good weather tomorrow. What's up with the 360 webcam? If it's no longer an option, why the link from this page?

July 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Renee

Tanning beds are a NO NO! My concern is sunscreen. How much sunscreen can we put on without poisioning ourselves more? When sunscreens remove nail polish, I begin to get somewhat concerned.

July 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Anthonia-california

I'm still taken aback by the fact that no one really stopped Michael from taking thoes prescription drugs..!

July 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Michelle-Boston

Cancer risks of tanning beds... Well haven't there been studies in the past indicating potential risks? I'm sure there have been.. Seriously it can't be healthy much like baking in the sun.

July 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Melanie

Why has there not been any discussions about surveillance video inside and outside Michael Jacksons' residence?

July 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, evening everyone. For all the new pieces of infomation coming out, we are only getting glances at what might've happened the night before and the day of Michael Jackson's death. Need the toxicology report and the investigation to be released. When will results of the present investigation into Dr. Murray be released to the public?

July 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

How easy is it to get prescription medicine in Las Vegas? Just walk into any clinic and they will pretty much give you what you want.

July 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  26. gayle mccauley malden,mass.

Well I think one thing will surely change.Doctors to the stars will be less likely to give in to their patients wishes and everyone will be healthier for it!

July 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  27. jacqueline, ny

Thank goodness I have a natural tan. 🙂

July 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Murray has $150K per month riding on keeping MJ alive. Why would he kill him?

July 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Financial issues are not a sign of the person.

I was a multimillionaire, never had to work to support myself, lived off family money and trust/stypend. I went through bankruptcy in 2004 due to faulty advice to my family from Leaman Bros (karma). Lost everything.

Trusting people who are scammers are not nice will put you in the poor house.

July 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Isabel, Brazil

@Suvro
    When does the autopsy come out?

July 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Renee

@ Suvro, AC360: Lots of rain here too! Sunny weather followed so I managed ok. Just killed a pair of shoes hitting some puddles! They were my favorite Cole Haans. UG!

July 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  32. JoAnn

Instead of only Dr. Murray being looked at, shouldn't other possible accomplices be looked at as well?

July 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Peggysue Boos

with all them Jackson men, anyone of them could be the father.... I'm just saying

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  34. Sam

What do the Executors earn for taking care of the estate? If the Executors stood down would the Courts take over the estate?

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Fay - California

No, Joe Jackson doesn't make much sense and his ego is so out of control that he doesn't even realize that it would be better for him to stay out of the media spotlight and just keep his mouth shut – he's cutting his own throat.

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Janine from PA.

Good Evening AC 360
    I would think by now the doctor would have been able to destroy evidence he might have had around to incriminate him.
    As for Omar, being that Michael Jackson wanted to be a daddy and loved being a daddy, why would he not acknowledge this person if he was his child? By the way, what ever happened to Joe Jackson's illegitimate daughter?

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Think Katherine is just wanting money or is she trying to make sure her son's estate is handled properly??

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  38. debra (New York City)

Hi Andy,
    She should have rights though...after all 80% goes to her and the kids so why are these lawyers not cooperating with her. This was her son- she needs to know. These lawyers were fired by MJ – so its clear that he did not trust them...so they should include Mrs. Jackson in the decision making and provide her with documents.

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

Anderson - the no contest clause is not in the Will itself; it is in provisions of the accompanying Trust.

July 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  40. Debra

It sounds like if Dr Murray and Micheal Jackson were good friends then that would be unethical for him to treat a friend. He should have just remained friends with Micheal and not a doctor to him.

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  41. shawn

anderson
    do anyone know why micheal jackson had a i v piggy back lodged into his hand if he wasn't in a hospital? and do anyone know what dr. placed this into his hand? it is to my understanding that this was inserted into his hand for several years? is the hype true.

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

I have pretty much blacked everything out that deals with Joe Jackson, and as of this sentence ending, I will have no idea that I wrote it.

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Good evening everyone, hello Anderson! 🙂

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Anais, las vegas

Good evening Anderson and everyone

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Nicky

Regarding Dr. Murray being foreclosed: I live in Vegas and I know a Lot of people who are not paying on their homes and walking away But are not in financial need, simply because the home value and the debt they owe are not even close. When there is a difference of hundreds of thousands between value and debt -would you continue to pay? They are also being told they will not be considered for a reconsideration of their loan until they stop paying for 6 months or more... There are more reasons than just being poor to not paying your mortgage...

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse, NY

As long as you're willing to pay cash for prescriptions, it's easy to get multiple doctors to write prescriptions. It's the insurance companies that catch it. No insurance, no double check.

July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Suvro, AC360°
    I am really pumped, Guess what???? YIKES!!!! Really hotter 103 F degree in Seattle!!!! You're so lucky bring rain down there! LOL!

July 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Peggysue Boos

Anderson, why don't you try and get a interview with this boy Omar. try and get your take on this, and let us know what you think

July 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, You ask how difficult is it to get doctors to prescribe drug after drug. When you have money, almost anything is possible. That is why so many of the rich and famous self destruct.

July 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Debra

I can tell that you really don't care for Joe Jackson. Do you think he is after some money from Micheal's estate?

July 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |