July 28th, 2009

Video: Why work at an abortion clinic?

Program note: Scott Roeder, alleged killer of late-term abortion provider Dr. George Tiller, is scheduled for a preliminary court hearing today. Gary Tuchman is in Kansas with Lindsay Roeder, Scott's ex-wife. Join us tonight at 10pm ET to hear what they have to say.

Filed under: Women's Issues • Women's Rights
  1. DawnL,CA

CNN. Why in the world would you put his name & where he works on your post? No matter how one feels about abortion, this man could be seriously hurt or murdered.

July 28, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  2. Rebekah

oh dear goodness... hate abortion stories because then people are bound to be all "what about lives of the unborn babies??"
    A.) unborn baby = fetus (aka not a person yet. just a parasite on the mother. it can't think so it's not a little-person/baby)
    B.) that argument is only valid if religion is considered in the case (which, of course it isn't because religion has nothing to do with science, medicine or law)
    and C.) it makes me want to ask the person who mentions "So you'd like to give birth and possibly care for a baby that was created because a horrible man decided he wanted to rape you? and you'd also like to go through the long adoption process for a baby you don't want or can't care for? you want to work 3 jobs to support a child you can't afford? you accidentally got pregnant at 15 and now you want to punish yourself AND the baby for the rest of their lives because you didn't really want it?

Don't support or oppose something unless you look at it from ALL sides.

July 28, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  3. lampe

There is no DRAFT. So therefore how can babies that are not aborted be saved for the sole purpose of fighting an Illegal Foriegn Religious War. And babies that are aboted, have done nothing wrong. Where as Criminals sitting on DEATH-ROW have. You can not possibly compare the two.

July 28, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  4. Linda B., Ga.

I am Pro-Choice.....I am not saying I would get an abortion (that's my CHOICE), but, it should be up to the individual, if that is their CHOICE then so be it.....

July 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  5. Katie

I respect the doctor for how much he cares about his patients, but at the same time he's killing human lives every single day for a living. I don't mean to support murder but it's a tad hypocritical to complain about shots being fired into the office when you kill innocent lives everyday.

July 28, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  6. greg

that's would be a little counter productive don't you think?

July 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  7. susan

I take great umbrage at the moniker "Abortion Clinic." I rather doubt that is their primary motive, unlike "Death Row" in a prison (not a correctional facility – ?what "correction" is provided?)
    Rather, these facilities opt to provide THE FULL THERAPEUTIC RANGE for each and every woman they treat.

In this era of concern for "Choice" in the "Health Care Reform" discussion, the greatest fear is lack of therapeutic options when it is most needed. The restriction of pregnancy termination options (methods or option itself) by these avowed "Anti-Abortion" Advocates are therefore advocating Restriction or Rationing of All-Potential Medical Options for these women. They would like to think that the medical professionals are "unethical." But, I doubt they could come up with a fully logical argument that would not meet with marked flaws or holes in that logic.

A very interesting study would be: Correlation of those avowed "anti-abortionists" and
    a) support of Death Sentence (and its execution), regardless
    b) support for Bush-Cheney interrogation tactics
    c) testing for latent racism or other forms of "profiling", e.g. gender identification and the like.

July 28, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  8. Suzanne

It doesn't tell me why people should work at an abortion clinic.

I have often noticed that proponents of legalized abortion are afraid to show the true nature of abortion– that it kills a fetus. They say the pictures of aborted fetuses online are fake. My question: well, what *do* they look like? They seem to be for "education". Why are they afraid of showing the facts?

July 28, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  9. Vicki

Let's turn the tables, shall we? My father made my mother take every home-rigged measure to try to abort me, a third child. This was in 1971-72. I survived. Fortunately? Not really. My parents split, my sister and brother and I were given to the foster care system and I was molested, assaulted, raped, used for slave labor (seriously, I cleared land for 10 hours a day at the age of 7-9), physically, emotionally, verbally, and psychologically abused until I left at 17.

There's not a year that goes by that I don't wish someone would have made it legal and/or acceptable back then. Although some might suggest I am mentally damaged, let me assure you that I am one of the most "successful" business people my network knows. And – IRONY ALERT – I have raised a wonderful 4.20GPA kid on her way to college, soon. But I have not enjoyed my life and am single and miserable every single day on the inside.

Let the man take care of the women. After all, we DO live in a selfish society where ME, MYSELF and I are first priority, don't we?

July 28, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  10. Sue

Well said Doctor. Women make tough choices regarding what is best for them, their health, and their family every day. No one else has the right to make that choice for them or to force them to continue with a pregnancy. Unfortunately, women are treated as though they are unable to make competent life decisions for themselves. This is very sad this man has to live this way in our “free” society.

July 28, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  11. Kara

This makes me sad for all parties.

I am against abortion but am also against killing doctors who preform them. Pro-life means we protect ALL LIFE even doctors that kill.

July 28, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  12. nc_family_guy

I am not a proponent of abortion; I believe life is something precious to be protected.

However, I get really annoyed at all the holier than thou pro-lifers. You are interested in preserving these lives until they are born – then what? What for the baby born to a mother that can't care for it, because she is poor, or an addict, or has psychological trouble from the rape that caused the pregnancy?

It is funny because the folks usually interested in being pro-life are also anti-socialized health care (to help care for mother and child through pregnancy and beyond) as well as against social welfare programs. Where is the compassion for mother and child after the birth?

Finally, there is generally no understanding of the problems with a position that posits that woman must carry unwanted children to full term. How many of those would then carry our black market abortions where mother and child would die (or does the mothers life not matter at that point?). What about teenage pregnant girls that might take unhealthy actions to try to prevent the pregnancy from coming to term, but resulting only in birth defects or damage to the child before being born.

Perhaps every female pro-lifer should sign a form volunteering her uterus for transplanting unwanted fetuses to. Then we could have transplant clinics instead of abortion clinics, and you could carry the child to full term as you believe is just without legislating how a woman can treat her own body? I didn't think so.

Be a lamp unto yourself. Live an exemplary life. Go to heaven, or whatever. Just stop trying to get the government to legislate your morality on those who disagree with you.
    If you truly believe in the soul, then these innocents are on a dir

July 28, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  13. Melissa

John, in the pockets of people who only care about the unborn so they can kill them in an illegal foreign religious war 18 years later.

July 28, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  14. Melissa

It makes me proud to live in this country that there are people ( men) who put themselves in harms way to protect my rights. thank you and God bless

July 28, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  15. victoria

No matter how is put, Prof. Gate has the right to be angry like anyone else. In my option, the police man could have used right discretion to look through the house to make sure Prof. Gate is in his own home. The fact that he probably used aggressive tactic, triggers Gate to be angry. This should be a wake up call for all policemen to use genuine and fair discretion in dealing with the public.

July 28, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  16. john

Where is the first class medical service for the aborted child.

July 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm |