July 28th, 2009

The all-powerful August break

[cnn-photo-caption image="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/07/27/health.care.house/art.hoyer.pelosi.gi.jpg" caption="Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, left, Rep. John Larson and Speaker Nancy Pelosi address the news media Monday."]

John Feehery
Special to CNN

The issue was: Should they stay or should they go?

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi thought the House should stay and work until Democrats pass health care reform.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid thought the Senate should adjourn for the summer break and come back after the senators have a chance to meet with their constituents.

Pelosi lost, and House Democratic leaders now concede there won't be a vote before the traditional August recess.

Both paths came with big risks. Had Pelosi's brigade marched off a cliff, taken a difficult vote on a potentially unpopular bill and faced hordes of angry constituents, she would have faced an unruly and upset Democratic caucus come September.

Keep reading...

Filed under: Health Care • Nancy Pelosi
  1. RLWellman

Until they come with a proposal that the whole Government is going to be on nationalized health care, I'd tell them what they can do with that reform bill!

This bill isn't even wrote yet and they want everyone to vote on it! This is like buying a car and signing the papers that will be filled in later. I didn't think the Government was that stupid, but they must think everyone else is as dumb as they are!

If those of you think that signing a bill before it is finished being written, I have a 3000 sq ft house I will sell you for $1.00. The thing is you have to sign the papers first! You don't even have to read them!

July 28, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  2. john

Do you call putting the country in deeper debt work? Please take an extended vacation. W e need true statesmen in washington not politicians and their lobbyists twins.

July 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  3. lampe

What's the big deal. Pelosi has already siad "I have enough votes to get this bill passed." So I say " Pass it already." Let's see if Nancy really does know how to tell the truth.

July 28, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  4. JC- Los Angeles

Perhaps Nancy Pelosi volunteered to stay since she knows she can fly home quickly on a taxpayer funded corporate jet.

Maybe Harry Reid wanted to leave to pursue another fraudulent land deal in Nevada.

July 28, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  5. Rebecca, Louisville, KY

So, if I want to keep getting ridiculously drunk on my birthday I should just win a seat in Congress?

Good to know.

As for the eternal "should they stay or should they go" question, most famously asking in the first person by The Clash: let them go. Maybe a few of the people blocking reform will suffer massive amnesia in the meantime.

July 28, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  6. Michael C. McHugh

I knew six months ago that we would get a millionaire's club version of health care "reform" out of Baucus, Grassley and the Senate. My mother was vice president of an insurance company in New York for years, so I know eery well what kind of "reform" the insurance industry has alaways wanted: mandates for every individual and business to buy private health insurance from them, with no cost controls on premiums. In other words, it will be just like the mandatory auto insurance they got passed years ago, and will be just another huge windfall for them.

Joe Average isn't gonna like this when he finally wakes up here and sees what they've done, and I hope Obama is smart enoughg tp know tha.

July 28, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  7. Patrick Schley

What I find very disturbing about this health care bill is the views the American public has shaped from incorrect information distributed by big business and the far right. While even though some democrats do not support the bill, at least they agree that something needs to be done and are will to proceed with planning that represents the best interest for all people. I feel that some originations, if having a choice would do absolutely nothing in reform leaving 47 million without health care. With ads on the television simlpy asking you to call your Representatives and tell them you don’t support government health care tells me that they agencies do not want a health care bill because they will lose money. I feel that there should be advertising asking the people of the US to contact there congressman with ideas to make healthcare affordable for all others who can not afford it. I’m also concerned that President Obama is rushing this by giving timelines that are not doable based on the expected accomplishment of this bill. We need to take our time and get it right. Look at other models better then what has been portrayed in the media. President Obama said he would not sign any bill that would increase the US deficit or any additional spending. If he does, the reaction of the people would be devastating to the United States. I do not believe that this is his goal. We need to trust that he has our best interest in mind.

July 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  8. Melissa

They should not be allowed to go on break until their job is finished. Nobody else can.

July 28, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  9. Jimmy

August break!! What are they school children? Our tax payer dollars on vacation providing only the best. Please.......Don't send Nancy back home to California, keep her there.

July 28, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  10. Kibaka

Americans need to style up thanks

July 28, 2009 at 11:29 am |