July 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/28/09

We have new information tonight on the Michael Jackson autopsy and toxicology reports. 360's Randi Kaye will have the breaking details. Plus, allegations of homegrown terror. Seven men arrested, an eighth wanted. We'll tell you where and what authorities say they were plotting to do.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori

I like the bunny!

July 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Todd Foster - MI

If you can survive the tilt-a-whirl...you can survive anything!

July 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Appreciated Colin Powell's articulate discussion. Nice to hear a calm voice in the situation.

July 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Jacqueline, NY

Guess Michael Phelps led off the steroids this time around

July 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@ Nicole S. - North Carolina

hahaha Good good! 🙂 I did try with the eyeliner once hahahaha Couldn't make it though

July 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Christina, Brooklyn, NY

Did we really need a study on texting while driving? It seems like total common sense to me that texting and driving is a dangerous combination. Good report though!

July 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. starr formerly known as vincent

Love Gen. Powell! Really enjoyed LKG's interview with him.

I think he gave very sould advice to young people with the Police as well as putting the Gates issue in perpective.

July 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Colin Powell is so smart and logical. Keeping a cool head is the best advice of all!

July 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

General Powell hit on the nose.

July 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Heidi Ann Berg

I am going to tell my daughter , if i catch her driving and texing I am taking back the car

July 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Linda-Portland, OR

when i lived in Japan, i remember seeing tvs mounted on the dashboards of cars.....i have no idea why their accident rates weren't higher

July 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Lori, IL

Oh, Anderson with the "magical thumbs" - how did we know you text while driving!!! : )

July 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Allan Dunavan

I passed a woman today while I was driving on a 2 lane highway in central Kansas. She was holding a cell phone in her right hand and rifling through a stack papers she had in her left. She probably thinks she talented, but she's just plan deadly. She's driving to die.

July 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Chris

In today's day and age most teenagers text SO much they can do it with out even looking at the phone

July 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Very important information about texting and driving. Thanks Tom! That will save lives. It scares the hell out of me. I'm showing it to my kids.

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

I knew someone who would text all the time while she drove. She would do it so often she almost hit a pedestrian while the pedestrian was in a crosswalk. She came about a foot close to hitting the person and she is notorious for doing it while she is on the freeway, and that is going 60-70 here in this area. I admit ive done it a few times but after being around her while she is driving and texting at the same time I stopped

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Anthonia-california

@Jasmine- I totally agree! that was a great way to show an example of how texting, putting a cd into the stero, and dialing a number can result into a car accident!

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

When I am driving, I'm driving.

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. karen k

I think texting while you are driving is just stupid. Who is with me on that. I just yelled at my husban about it . I can't even text. I told my youngest if I find out he text while driving he won't ever see a phone

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Josh from Edmonton,Canada

We should pay attention to Tom Foreman's texting report. He gets it- and so should we.

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Dulcie - Denver

I've texted while driving once in a while, but I usually try to wait until I'm at a stop light. Also, it's much easier to text on a Blackberry. Much quicker than using the telephone keypad. Not that it's any excuse.

July 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Jacqueline, NY

Just based on Gary's report you won't text again while driving. First of all shame on you for doing ever doing so, secondly, oh never mind mankind is hardheaded.

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Lori, IL

Good report by Tom Foreman - it's one thing to hear the numbers (23 times more likely to be in an accident) - but the visual was very effective -

I say show this segment in all school driver education classes!

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

Angela - not eyeliner - I'm not crazy! Just gloss. Gotta keep the lips poppin'! 🙂

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank you Tom Foreman for your report.

I'm glad i don't have a cell phone. But even if i did have one, i can't imagine trying to test and drive safely.

Tom's report really puts this issue in perspective.

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Saveena, Pennsylvania

Cell phones and any texting mobile devices or gadgets should be banned for all drivers while driving a vehicle. There should be more cops or cameras on the roadways and highways to try and catch the drivers that do this.

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Beth, London

Just dropped by to say it was a great show tonight.. 4am in London now though, so best be off.

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Anderson – He certainly made a believer out of you quickly! I'll admit, I've only done it once. I was tweeting about the drive actually. But thanks to Gary, I'd now feel guilty, even though I like to think I can just flick my eyes quickly back and forth. 🙂

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Tim, MD

Someone needs to come up for a solution! How about bluetooth keyboard built into steering wheel, so you don't have to look down?! 🙂

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Rafael Bronx.Ny

This is show while driving on the road texting and cellphone should be put to a stop and put away. Then to continue when the person is off the road.

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Anthonia-california

People are still going to text and use cellphone while driving. which is just so sad.. its like as if people dont care about their safety anymore..

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Greg, Austin Tx

After seeing that, I shall never text again. Even when I'm not driving.

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

This is nothing new. I know people who eat (and finish, pray tell) complete meals driving down the road.

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Vanessa TX

so these testing on driving while texting, did they test qwerty key phones or flip phones?? not that it makes any difference, but its harder to text on a reg flip phone than a qwerty key or even iPhone.

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I am a touch typist so I don't look at the keyboard while I have it on top of the wheel so I don't take my eyes off the road.

I am going back to CA so they don't let you do it anyway...so problem solved.

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Teresa, OH

I think all cell phone use while driving should be banned.

@nicole s: It's a good thing the rest of us drivers look out for women who do that. why can't you put on makeup at home?

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Those recommendations might be a little bit over the top... cause what if you have an emergency?!

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Linda-Portland, OR

btw, all the activities i listed, i've actually seen........frightening!!

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Isabel, Brazil

@ Erica and @David

Do you always use the hands free mobile?

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Jasmine

another reason why Tom rocks my socks off.

he's willing to put himself in danger.

I'm glad WA state has a law against it....

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. eleanor coombs ga

Telephone company need to have unlimted talking... texting comes from staying within your minutes.

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Julie - Boston

WOW! I will stop my texting and driving tomorrow. AND use my bluetooth from now on...

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  43. Michelle-Boston

It's really scary how many people text & drive. You would think with all the news coverage and accidents that have been reported people would refrain from doing it. I ride the T in Boston everyday and we've had two major accidents this year of subway operators texting while driving the train. Scary...
    Good reporting on this issue and I'm glad you are reporting on this again. 🙂

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  44. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Oh, I text at red lights. OOps

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  45. karen k

roeder. Thou shall not kill. One of the ten commandments. Did he miss that one.

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  46. Curtis

There is no need to drive and text at the same time. I have done it...Bad choice

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Lori

For some reason, multi-tasking while driving seems more dangerous when Tom is doing it.

July 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Katey in North Carolina

Texting and driving. I have done it and a DUMB thing to do. Oh my goodness I almost killed myself and those around me. Nothing is that important it can't wait. Even looking for the cell phone distracts one enough for very dangerous collision. I think it should all be banned while driving period!

July 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Meg

Yes, don't text & drive!

July 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  50. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@ Nicole S. - North Carolina

Carefull with the eyeliner hahaha

July 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |