July 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/28/09

We have new information tonight on the Michael Jackson autopsy and toxicology reports. 360's Randi Kaye will have the breaking details. Plus, allegations of homegrown terror. Seven men arrested, an eighth wanted. We'll tell you where and what authorities say they were plotting to do.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LorenaR

CNN scores another first in this hospital drug scene with Dr Sanjay Gupta. it would have been nice to see him as the surgeon general, but he has been such a valuable part of your news programs.

July 28, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Michelle

Diprivan (propofol) is not just limited to the operating room. It is used in lower doses in the emergency department for sedation in painful procedures. We use it in a dose that is low enough to decrease painful perception, but not to stop breathing.

July 28, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  3. gerry

Hi Anderson,

This doctor with all his education, you would think he would have enough brains delaing with Jackson he would say fine I will give you these drugs you want but you sign this paper that I am not responsible and if you die I cant go to jail or be held responsable!

July 28, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

Oh my God. Watching Dr. Gupta's report. There is no way Murray should have been administering Diprivan to Michael at his home. That is foul on so many levels!!

July 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  5. starr formerly known as vincent

Wow, look how fast the Diprivan works!

And, look at all of the equipment around this patient With a trained professional.

I am truly amazed that if MJ doc was administering Diprivan, that he did not have the same medical equipment in the home and provide Constant monitoring.

July 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Mack D Jones, MD

Because of his obviously severe insomnia, a strong case can be made that Michael Jackson had undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea which under the influence of sedatives, hypnotics, narcotics or anesthetics puts him at a high risk for cardiac arrest.

July 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Sharon Hastings

Remember there is a standard applied to physicians. It's "acceptable standard of medical practice". Certainly administering Diprivan at home is not an acceptable standard of medical practice. But I think that applies to a civil suit or to the doctor losing his license to practice. I think we have to focus on what the legal definition of manslaughter is in California. Sounds like it may apply here and the jury would certainly be primed to deliver a guilty verdict with all the experts on TV "testifying" about Diprivan. In a sense it wouldn't matter what other drugs were in his system IF the Diprivan alone could have killed him.

July 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  8. J Miller

As a health care worker and a individual that had surgery in which Deprovan was the anastetic used it was scary in a hospital inviroment with my Anasteoligist adminstering it in my 3 hr procedure. As they lowering the doseige i could hear the DR and the O.R. Staff talking as they lowering the dose too fast. I could hear the DR. asking for operating tools. "All I Can Say Is It Was Scary"

July 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Rafael Bronx.Ny

I thought that Micheal Jackson was dead before he got to the hospital and pronounced dead at the hospital.

July 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Linda-Portland, OR

is Vincent being put under for a real procedure or just to see what happens?.........kinda creepy

July 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Michael McKinney

I my opinion sombody really knows why Michael Jackson was given the drugs and that's the bottom line period!

July 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Toya

I had Diprovan for a small procedure a few months ago. I told the anesthesiologist that I felt dizzy and then it was lights out!

July 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Denise

Has it been determined that if Dr. Murray gave Michael Jackson Propofol that it was illegal? He is after all, a doctor. It may not have been proper, but was it illegal? Great reporting as always, Anderson!

July 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Isabel, Brazil

@Erica

Why isn’t Diprivan already controlled?
    If someone can be put to sleep and never wake up

July 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Jasmine

had to go under anesthesia and was surprised how fast I became tired. Now that I know how it actually causes you to sleep I find the practice of anesthesiology even more fascinating.

July 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Cervantes Imperial Beach CA

Once his hearth stopped his brain followed by a matter of 10-15 minutes.the rest was cpr on a comatose Michael

July 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Tina O

can someone really be hooked on Dipervan? no one has ever really said. if it's not a narcotic how do you get hooked on it?

July 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Danny

Why has no one answered why diprivan isn't more controlled? It's like when cocaine was easy to access in 19'teens. More control?!

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Dulcie - Denver

@Dante Any practicing physician would trump a paramedic in an emergency situation. As long as he didn't order something really strange, the paramedics would follow his orders. Most paramedics are pretty knowledgeable and would know if something was hinky.

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Tim , IL

Dulcie – I agree with the 'new stuff' popping up everynight comment , this almost plays like a screenplay or TV drama than reality

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Sorry a bit late a busy day here. So Dr. Murray's house was searched today, but seems like we're still waiting for actual findings from the toxicology report. I didn't catch why that report will be released next week rather than this week.

I would want a doctor to follow safety protocols when administering a strong drug like that to me. Would previous use of Propofol outside a hospital setting, if that happened, be a part of Michael Jackson's medical history?

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. fran, Miramar, Fl

so Dr. Murray ordered paramedics to work on MJ for 42 minutes at his house. How about establishing an airway/CPR and cardiac iv meds and getting him to the ER STAT?? I just don't get....this doc screwed up big time..

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@ Sarah Atlanta, GA

Drug addicts don't care about the consequences, they just want them no matter what. He said he can't sleep, that's when the doctor's opinion come to the front. He (the dr.) could've said "NO, this is going to kill you". In my opinion, Dr. Murray isn't the only one guilty in this whole situation because I believe MJ was dealing with lots of problems for a long time.

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Could a doctor keep a heart pumping with compressions even if the patient is clinically dead?

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Christine

I find it crazy that Dr. Murray made the decision to try to revive MJ at his home with EMS present & ready to "scoop & run" with a 4 minute ride to all the medical equipment & medications a hospital ER would have. It is just plain crazy to spend in excess of 40 minutes in a home when he could have been in the ER. Bells & whistles are going off in my mind!!! Something is seriously wrong with this picture!!

July 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Can Murray still be charged with the improper use of propofol even if it did not cause Jackson's death?

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Saveena

I believe Michael Jackson's doctor, Dr. Murray, should have call 911 and insist somehow that this is a life or death situation instead of trying to do anything else for Michael Jackson if he is not the one to administer the drug to Michael Jackson.

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Andrea Gordon-Martin

hello anderson i have a question, who made the 911 call for micheal jackson? please answer thanks.

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Marv

Would Dirpravan have been used in MJ's prior plastic surgeries?

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

Hi Erica. Just because Michael was "pronounced" dead at the hospital doesn't negate the fact that he was probably already dead. Conrad Murray was just covering his butt.

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. sheena

I don't think the doc purposely killed mj. If the doc had not given mj too much meds, mj would still be here today. The doc made a mistake and now he will have to pay some kind of way.

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  32. mariajeancupo

Do you guys think the investigation will stop with Dr. Murray? Or will they keep going back into Michael's past to try and find other doctors?

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Angela

Even though inadmissable, were any lie detector tests taken only to see who is being "credible"? I haven't heard anything about this at all.

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Isabel, Brazil

It's impressive the effect and the speed of this effect!

Imagine something like this at home ... amazing!

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Linda Transou

Your reporting is excellent! My doctor told me that he can check the DEA records and see exactly what I had been prescribed and by whom. Why don't doctors do this very thing so that people can't doctor/drug shop? Keep up the good work!

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Gina

Good evening Anderson,
    I just wanted to say that I hope that all the reports come out, and we see the truth. I think Dr. Murray did play a role in MJ's death, and should be brought to justice.

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Doctor has the degree and knowledge so he should know better...not the patient.

Doctor is responsible for the patient he/she is caring for regardless.

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Toya

I would love to know if there was lividity on Jackson's body when he was found. I'm not buying the timeline.

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Carmie

Don't you think the Dr. would of got rid of any type of medications that would link him to Jackson death by now?

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

If the system doesn't get Murray, some crazy fans will. I see why he's keeping guards on the scene 24/7. This is a bad situation.

July 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Dulcie - Denver

re: how long can Diprivan be detected in MJs system: I think even if the drug leaves the system quickly, there may be metabolites (separate chemicals that make up the drug) that can be detected. It would muddy the waters a bit, since those chemicals might be present in other drugs as well, but the quantities might tell something.

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. ericacnn

hi, everyone

@fred – michael jackson was pronounced dead at the hospital

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. LisaL - Canada

oh Lisa Bloom – very well put - in the absence of so many facts, i suppose an "educated hunch" is all one has to work with sometimes. a little vague, but apparently more correct than not.

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Mileka Groom

i think that he did. he had to have same thing to do with because things don't add up with him as to why Michael Jackson is dead.

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

I completely agree with Bloom!

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Cervantes Imperial Beach CA

playing with human life is" foulplay"with the oath of medicine

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Dante

When the paramedics were working on Jackson for 45 minutes, why would they follow orders from Dr. Murray? Is that normal protocol? How did they even know his qualifications?

July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. mariajeancupo

Doctors are supposed to take care of their patients. It's terrible that for every one doctor that says no, there's one that says yes. Money talks.

July 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Rafael Bronx.Ny

Hey there everybody..........what a good night to be blogging with AC 360 viewers.

July 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Tim , IL

I do not think criminal charges can be brought in this case

July 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |