July 28th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Homegrown Terror?

Daniel Patrick Boyd, left, and Mohammad Omar Aly Hassan are two of the seven men charged in a N.C. terrorism case.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

It's a busy night here in the 360° newsroom. We're covering several stories for you tonight. We'll start off with the search of the Las Vegas home and office of Michael Jackson's personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. Investigators said they were "looking for a lot of things." This new raid comes just days after officials raided his office and storage unit in Houston, Texas. We'll have the new developments in the case.

Also tonight, federal authorities are searching for an eighth alleged member of a North Carolina group that authorities say plotted "violent jihad" overseas. So far, seven suspects have been arrested on charges of supporting terrorism and conspiracy to commit murder abroad. Tonight a look at where they got their alleged training and find out who the feds say they were planning to target.

And, Scott Roeder, the man accused of killing abortion provider George Tiller, was in court today entering a not-guilty plea. A witness to the murder gave the court chilling details today on the how Tiller was gunned down in a church foyer. We'll have those developments and you'll hear from Roeder's ex-wife about what she thinks of her ex-husband's alleged crime. He sent her a letter from jail. She'll share part of it with you tonight in a 360° exclusive report.

From Kansas to North Carolina and California, join us at 10pm for these stories and much more. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. kimberly ann stanley

I live here in Chapel Hill NC and I cannot beilieve that these people were as close as they were, I know that every time I see a person of Muslim faith in the place were I work I get a litlle nervous and generally do not like to wait on them, I feel as if they don't deserve to live here. I know I don't understand them and I know that is a backwards way of thinking I just can't help it, and now this.

July 29, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  2. Thomas

Let us remember we Americans were the 1st, or one of the 1st, terrorist groups in the World. We fought as gorillas vs. the British. We disobeyed the law!! How funny is this?
    I propose this...no lawyers allowed in Congress, and only one term. Period. And u cannot make over $30,000 a year. No more millionaires in Congress!!!

July 29, 2009 at 7:51 am |
  3. John P

I worked with Daniel Boyd around seven years ago,knew his sons but when I quit we never kept close. But during the time I was associated with him and his family they were good people,devout Musulims.......she never wore the garb shown on TV and he did like beer and smoking pot! But things may have changed after the death of their oldest male child. I wish the best for their family

July 29, 2009 at 1:42 am |
  4. odnalro

Why the surprise of an American becoming a "jihadist" or accepting the teachings of Islam? Americans have always been terrorists. Does the KU KLUX KLAN ring a bell, anyone? The Klan has always terrorized, killed, burned crosses on the lawns Black or African Americans and others.

July 29, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  5. J Martin

The more I hear re: MJ's drug abuse and chaotic state of living- the more I feel the upside is his children are now able to lead a different life. One that is not so bizarre, not so chaotic, no need to hide or cover up their faces, their mouths or their thoughts. It's a good thing- they have been set free of the craziness. They now can go on to lead some type of regular lifestyle- our general world is confusing enough!

July 29, 2009 at 12:23 am |
  6. CarolynM

Anderson, your report on homegrown terrorism deserved more time but I know you're busy reporting on MJ and abortion provider killers. You forgot to mention Pvt Long's murder by a Muslim convert, a homegrown terrorist. And Peter Berg lumps all Muslims in America together, be they Somali refugees who fail to assimilate and desire jihad, to native born Americans who convert to Islam. But at least you touched on the subject, a welcome change from the seemingly 24 hour coverage, still, of MJ broken up only by Obama pressers and what it means to be Black in America.

July 29, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  7. pranav NewMexico

I think here in US, we should not do the same mistake as UK. UK ignored terrorist organization working there to gain financial and ground support against countries like India for 10 year and eventually same organizations turned against them. We should understand that terrorism is a global problem now, and deal it that way.

July 28, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  8. CG

I didn't like how you all kept throwing around the phrase "violent jihad" on the segment. I mean just say terrorist activities or alleged activities or alleged actions. Don't keep drawing attention to Islam, a religion of peace that condemns such actions. You are only fueling islamophobia. But good questions about these indictments; it seems like a case of Bush-era scaremongering to me, but I guess we will see.

July 28, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  9. Dorothy Pipher

This is a very scarey thing to think about. One of them doesn't even appear to be of Middle Eastern origin.

I am sorry but I DO NOT TRUST MUSLEMS!!!!!!! They're whole religion revolves around the fact that all non-believers must die and I guess you gain a virgin in heaven for everyone you take out!!!!

July 28, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  10. Jason William Derkits

seems to me that painting a certain picture is very easy for those in high positions, maybe we r pulling a george washington and treating our biggest patriots and freedom fighters as terrorists and by the way, y don't u try going a day without using the word insurgent, and use the words: father, mother, brother, sister, and child 4 a change............open your eyes

July 28, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  11. Samuel Hahn

I am baffled about why conservative Islamic persons in the United States want to live here and enjoy the benefits of our society and the freedoms of our society and the same conservative Islamic persons insist on wearing traditional Islamic garb (particularly the women) which are symbolic of the denigration of women in Islam and also some of the same conservative Islamic persons in the U.S. are plotting violent jihad against the U.S. which is like biting the hand that feeds one. Why do Islamic persons live in America? Why don't they live in an Islamic country where everything they do and wear will be appreciated. I am quite tired of being politically correct with persons who mean my country no good.

July 28, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  12. leslie

Why aren't these people charged with treason? What is wrong with this country? This is not what my grandfather's fought for. Softness on militants and hand outs for all

July 28, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  13. heather

hi anderson, im really not to judge here but i have to say . that i honestly think whatever has happened had to happen in the fact that i believe that michael jackson was taken advantage of. the people around michael obviously didnt care about michael also michaels family should have tried to help michael a long time ago!!!!!!! i blame the family too! HEATHER , SAN DIEGO

July 28, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  14. Alice, San Francisco

I have not seen this discussed much yet because the focus in the media is the toxicology report and Dr Murray, but AEG * hired * Dr Murray at Michael Jackson's request – and Dr Murray was "working" at the time that Michael died. In a media statement the head of AEG said they had nothing to do with the hiring of Dr Murray, but said they went along with hiring him.. which makes AEG the employer. If AEG did not follow their own hiring practices (used for other AEG employees, including things such as security checks, background checks etc) then they could be liable for Michael's death because their *FAILURE* to follow their own hiring practices contributed to his death. Dr Murray was "working" when Michael died, so I see the possibility for civil charges against AEG and possibly also a California State Workers Compensation wrongful death claim against AEG – the employer... I'm not an attorney ... but I keep thinking about AEG's role here... and don't see discussion in the media - comments?

July 28, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  15. Ann

Regarding the Terrorists' story, what is their incentive or motivation?
    Are they lured by money or paid to engage in such crimes?
    Thank you.
    Ann K.
    N.Y.

July 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Jack Mecham

Please America,
    Let's just get the facts before we stir the pot too much.

July 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Annie Kate

Looking forward to the show tonight. The Scott Roeder letter that was posted on this blog gave quite a view of him and his attitude. He is a very hateful man and very self righteous. I feel for his wife and child.

The violent jihad group sounds ominous – will be watching for this story too.

July 28, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  18. Cindy

I don't see why the police waited this long to raid Murray's house. If he had any incriminating evidence I am sure he has long gotten rid of it. They should have done that right after Michael died.

Well everyone knew Roeder would say he wasn't guilty since he thinks killing Tiller wasn't wrong but justified.

Cindy..Ga.