July 28th, 2009

Documents: Scott Roeder's letter from jail

Scott Roeder is charged with killing Dr. George Tiller at a Kansas church.

Scott Roeder is charged with killing Dr. George Tiller at a Kansas church.

AC360°

Two weeks after the murder of Dr. George Tiller, Lindsay Roeder received this letter from her ex-husband Scott Roeder in jail.

Click here to read the original letter.

----

6-12-09

Lindsay,

I heard bits and pieces from second hand sources about your interview on the news. Do you care to share what took place during that interview? If you're willing to share with the world your views, and since I didn't see it myself, would you mind telling me what you told them? Although, my guess is that I'll never hear back from you because that would keep in character with being the grown up spoiled brat that you are. You exhibit the same character the hundreds of times you've hung up on me when talking on the phone, in the past.

But my true concern is with our son, Nicholas. I'm afraid he's becoming or already became a spoiled brat, such as yourself. I thought that at least when we were still married we were (at least I) was teaching him the basic things in life LIKE SAYING THANK YOU. Nicholas in the best of my recollection, has never thanked me for taking him out to eat, to a movie, or giving him money. Whenever I drop him off at home, he just says goodbye and I'll see you again. I gave him a fairly decent knife the other day and he did not thank me. When my friend Jared had him work on his computer, after Jared paid Nicholas, Nicholas didn't thank him. These are typical signs of being a spoiled brat and it makes me cringe when I think he's 22 years old now and getting set in his ways. You have had him most of his life and he is just following the teaching you have given him. Another example of you being a spoiled brat was after we...we were married, weeks later I found out you had not sent out any thank you notes for the gifts received at our wedding.

I dropped the ball on sending them out but only learning that you had not sent one thank you note to any of our guests.

On a much deeper note, the fact that you are housing Nicholas and not encouraging him to work is teaching Nick absolutely no work ethic. I'm sorry to say but it looks like you've done a very poor job of raising Nicholas after our divorce.

I would be glad to hear your response.
Scott.

P.S. Also, please read the enclosed material and let Nick read it, also.
If you're an adult, you'll respond. if you're a spoiled brat, you won't.
Ask Nick to respond, also.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Crime & Punishment • Gary Tuchman • George Tiller
  1. Joni Sheriff

Are you kidding me?! He calls his ex-wife and son spoiled brats?! At least they aren't murderers! It's a good thing he's behind bars! Worried about thank you notes?! What about the poor family and friends that have to deal with the loss of a loved one? No remorse what a joke!

July 29, 2009 at 5:36 am |
  2. J.V.Hodgson

I guess, he is a gun toting ( I guess NRA suporter) and clearly anti abortionist extremist as well. The letter seems to say he is selfish and very opinionated and not a good listener.
    Whether he is guilty of murder (as the extrmists in the anti abortion faction are for sure)of the deceased Doctor remains to be seen.
    Either way this was an unnecessary and horrible crime!!
    On another note, ( forgive the pun) I cannot believe this lady gve you the letter for free!!??
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

July 29, 2009 at 2:16 am |
  3. hunter

I think if we would quit airing criminals and making them practically celebraties, maybe it wouldn't be worth their time in doing the crime. Maybe not but, I just don't think it's right in airing anything about them just the victim or something. I'm not a reporter by any means but, I'm positive there is a way to get around airing sorry ass like that.

July 29, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  4. Kyle

Is this how he plans on making the world a better place? And he is bothered by his son not using his manners? It will probably be his ex-wife's fault if his son murders someone too. Is that his excuse for killing Dr. Tiller?

He gives new meaning to the term "conflicted idiot".

July 29, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  5. Arachnae

Well, it's at least clear why he's divorced.

July 29, 2009 at 12:43 am |
  6. scott.

it a shame you cant even see that your actions will affect your exwife and son for the rest of their lives. Your so tied up in yourself and your belief you missed the boat with raising your own family.
    I hope your son takes after his mother for everyone s sake may you rot in hell.

July 29, 2009 at 12:42 am |
  7. Marlene Graham

What a terrible man...he is obvously a man who believe its his way or the highway.....extremely dominant and mentally abusive. I can only imagine how hard its been for Lindsay and I admire her courage for coming forward and bringing this to light. She finally found her strength in not being with him and that must be huge for her. Keep up the good work!

Instead of complaining to her, if he believed that there was a problem, why doesn't he take this effort to find a solution. I mean he is the father ..right? Why didn't he 'be the parent' and remind his son to say thank you. Why??? Because he wanted some more amunition to throw at her! He needs to forget about this vendictiveness and redirect his energies to being a real Dad! Not just one who bad mouths his son's Mother. You know if Lindsay is as bad as he claims she is, it didn't just happen.....why would he marry her! He CHOSE her! Why on earth would you choose to marry someone if you didn't like them???? One word......control!!

July 29, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  8. Steve, Swarthmore, PA

This guy is truly a scumbag.

July 28, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  9. Mark Stoltz

Interesting that he never mentions anything of his crimes and how now his so called "spoiled brat" will have to live with the fact his father is a murderer....

Unreal Anderson

July 28, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

What a hateful letter. Did anyone ever teach this man you can catch more flies with honey than with the sour grapes he is spewing. I sure wouldn't answer him; as for setting a good example how does he justify his jailbird status as a good example?? I would think that the mother was a better role model in this instant than Scott is.

July 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm |