July 27th, 2009

Evening Buzz: The Day Jackson Died – Doctor Connected?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/27/michael.jackson/art.conrad.murray.undated.jpg caption= "Dr. Conrad Murray was with Michael Jackson on the day that he died."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. The focus is all on Jackson's personal physician. For the first time officially, Dr. Conrad Murray is being directly connected to the drug that may have killed the "King of Pop." Once again, 360's Randi Kaye is revealing new details on the investigation for you tonight. Don't miss her report.

Also tonight, new developments in the arrest of distinguished Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. The professor and the police officer have two different takes on what happened 10 days ago when Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct after breaking into his own home. We have new insight on what happened that night from the 911 phone call that started this whole thing. We'll play part of the 911 tape for you and let you be the judge. Did cops do the right or wrong thing?

And, the NFL is reinstating quarterback Michael Vick with conditions. After serving nearly two years in prison for bankrolling a dogfighting operation the NFL says Vick's "margin of error is extremely limited".  If he can find a team that will sign him, he must follow these conditions: He can participate in all preseason practices and two preseason games. But he won't be eligible to play in the regular season until October pending full reinstatement by the league. Do you agree with the commissioners decision? Share your thoughts below.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: 360° Radar • Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Melissa

An overdose of prescription drug use provided by a health care giver thats normally only permitted in a hospital is NOT "too much health care". Its a greedy doctor thinking he can line his pockets by providing dangerous prescription drugs to a star just because the star asked for them.

Somehow I'm not surprised and abuse of prescription drugs has got to stop. That means harsher penalties for people like this doctor. Make and example of him.

July 28, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  2. john

Mr, Colson and Mr. Sullivan seem to make judgements based on media accounts of Michael Jackson.s life. An industry who lost its integrity long ago. To judge a man's true heart with gossip and hersay
    is the great tragedy of a country who claims to protect free specch at the sacrifice of individual privacy. Michael Jackson's work is full of heart wrenching lyrics about human suffering. He drew countless millions to an awareness of the tragedy of Aids, the suffering of children world wide, the horrors of war, and the abuses of man to the planet. It's sad to see a man who is well respected in certain religious circles show such blind ignorance and failed judgement. They say Christ died for and suffered our sins. Well Mr. Colson and Mr. Sullivan your rail against a man whose music (Michael credited his music as a gift from God) healed many a broken heart with his music and example is perhaps another sin The Christ had to suffer at Calvary.

Every catholic church has a confessional perhaps you gentlemen
    should find one available and find redemption from hasty judgements of your brother.

July 28, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  3. john

Charles Colson recently commented on the death of
    Michael Jackson and public reaction to it.

"But here’s why they-and all of us-should mourn the real tragedy
    that Michael Jackson’s story is. Andrew Sullivan at the Atlantic
    Monthly blog said it well: Michael Jackson “was everything our
    culture worships; and yet he was obviously desperately unhappy,
    tortured, afraid and alone.” He was, as Sullivan noted, nothing
    but a creature of our culture, which puts “fame and celebrity”
    at its core, with money as its driving force, without regard for
    the person caught up in it or the character he exhibits.

New York Times, “psychologically disabled, to the point
    where he was a danger to himself and others.”

July 28, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  4. paikike

I work in intensive care we use propofol to sedate patients on ventilators. What the hell was he using this for at home, and who
    gave it to him, if the used that truly at home to sleep. Yeah the doctor
    who admitted it killed him, End of subject.........

That doctor should be put in jail, if that is infact what he did, yes he killed him. Not much different from putting a gun to his head. Just
    quiter.

It only takes a few drops iv and the patient is out.

July 28, 2009 at 5:22 am |
  5. Sheletta

Well, I am in agreement with some of the comments posted here. Yes, Michael may had been addicted to painkillers, but as a Doctor who took an Oath to save lives, then yes I beleive within my heart that Doctor C. Murray, is Guily. They should throw the book at him, for practicing medicine without the proper license as a Anesthesalegist, adminstating a shot to an known addicted painkiller addicted, manslaughter. Dr. Murray knew that he done wrong and try to cover his tracts. I bet all of this could truley be cleared must faster if they could find the missing tape from Mihael's room. I am very happy as many viewers may be to know that what we felt about what happen to Michael, is finally coming to the ligt. Hopefully, when all this has finally come out by the end of the week with the toxogolist report Michael can be place to rest, so that his spirit is at ease.

The Professor and the Police Officer, please give it a rest, neither is going to admit that they may had taken thing to far. So let it go and more on Pleasssssssssssssse.

July 28, 2009 at 4:27 am |
  6. Lam

If Michael Jackson selected Dr. Murray as his physician, Did Murray continue CPR on the way to the hospital? Was Murray present with doctors at the hospital to try to revive MJ? Did Murray pronouned MJ dead? If not who did? When did Murray disappear and reappear at the hospital?

July 28, 2009 at 2:22 am |
  7. Bostonblack

Anderson, you're drifting into Geraldo territory by saying authorities believe Jackson died from Dr. Murray administered drug, when the autopsy results haven't even been released.
    Sorry, but using "a source close to the family" doesn't quite cut it if you want to call yourself a "journalist". Sorry, I generally enjoy your reporting but lately, CNN looks like more like a gossip show.........

July 28, 2009 at 2:22 am |
  8. maxine

I have listened and read all the information on Micheal.s death. Now Diprivan can be given by nurses I give all the time to very agitated patients;however the patient should be vented by ventilator if it is given over a duration of time, It will depress you respirations to death, it does not help with pain,patients getting diprivan should be given pain medication. The patient should also be monitored on telemetry and should be watched constantly. What I think happened the good md was not monitoring the pt that is Micheal as he should:If he was watching the patient constantly when he stopped breathing he should have turned off the medication and the patient would have woke up.In the home he needed to be vented. Diprivan shows up in the blood as increase triglyceride.

July 28, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  9. David Bickell

Enough of the Michael Jackson saga. Return to some news Anderson, this is turning into cheap talk show material. Good bye and good night CNN.

July 28, 2009 at 1:43 am |
  10. Tommy T. , GA.

i believe that Dr. Conrad Murray might have covered up the truth. He needs to tell the truth so he might not be considered as manslaughter. As a doctor, he should have known that current forensic science can and will be able to prove his criminal act soon or later. Therefore, i suggest him to tell the truth. it might be late, but still better than hiding his wrongdoings. Again, I strongly believe that there was something going on way before the 911 call. Michael Jackson might have been dead hours before the 911 call. It is a setup because Dr. Conrad Murray tried to hide the truth of Michael Jackson's wrongful death.

July 28, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  11. elizabeth

The news says that two of Dr. Murray's staff were seen cleaning out papers and stuff from a storage unit belonging to Dr. Murray just hours before the 911 call was placed. My guess-Michael was already dead, the quack had hard evidence of drug misuse removed first, then he called in 911. Put the bastard behind bars and leave him there.

July 28, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  12. Pepper

Money. Or should I say love for money is the root of all evil. Bottom line of all that had happened in MJ's lifetime is all about money. Sad but true. Those people who manipulated him, used him, abused his trust and vulnerability, had no conscience, no soul as their intention is fueled by greed!

Surely, Dr. Murray went beyond what his profession required while he was supposedly looking after the best interest of his patient. He went far beyond...

July 28, 2009 at 1:27 am |
  13. Jeanne

I'm an ER nurse. I use propofol all the time in the ER to chemically induce a coma for patients on ventilators. This drug is readily accessible in the ER and is not part of the daily narcotic count. This drug has a very short half life and I'm curious if it will show up in toxicology reports. Let's not pass judgement until we know the cause of death.

July 28, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  14. Claudia

I have said since he (MJ) was killed ....well, hat he was killed. My conspiracy theory is that AEG, who hired and paid Dr. Murray, who forced MJ to commit to 50 concerts (do the math, the 50 concerts would have paid his debt and left him with 10 million)So, back to the theory: AEG hires Murray, gets insurance in case MJ cancels or doesn't show up to concerts, and tapes the whole rehearsal (to sell later for ...yep! again, 50 million). They thought Deprivan would not show in autopsy, and took the chance that there wouldn't be one (doctor present can give death cert., so no need for coroner) But it went wrong.... MJ was dead long before they call ambulance. A question? why none (forensics) at least let us know the approximate time of Mj's dead? through rigor mortis and other things, such as blood accumulating, maybe they can figure out he did not die at 12 or anytime after.Anderson keep up the good work! You must love your life, and your job, it is a privilege.

July 28, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  15. Cheryl Houston,TX

Congrats to Michael Vick. A great come back would be a superbowl ring. Welcome back Vick.

July 28, 2009 at 1:10 am |
  16. Cheryl Houston,TX

I think that Conrad Murray needs to be arrested and the Jackson family needs closure. Why should he be free to watch this unfold while guarded by bodyguard instead of correction officers?

July 28, 2009 at 1:08 am |
  17. raodm

Bleah...! Anesthetic as a pain killer ! It may violate some constitutional right or the other of the doctors who treat celebrities but should n't the A M A maintain a separate register for these MD s? I understand ethics confidentiality are big issues but life is a bigger responsibility for both the patient and his doctor.
    Surely M J is n't the first nor the last celebrity to die as a result of the excesses committed by these doctors. Revoking the license is the least punishment that they can give. Should there be incontrovertible evidence , the doc should be out of circulation for a very long time.

July 28, 2009 at 1:02 am |
  18. Gini Ying

Dr. Murray should be held accountable for MJ's death. It is obvious he did something to Michael that caused his life. We want to get to the bottom of this thing. Sue the doctors for manslaughter is only fair to millions of Jackson fans around the world!

July 28, 2009 at 12:19 am |
  19. Alexes

Anderson,

Please also realize that Dr. Murray is not a cardiologist...he is an internest and had never completed a fellowship in cardiology (3-6 year additional fellowship)...your readers need to be made aware of this. All the information you are protraying on TV, depicts Dr. Murray as a crediable Cardiologist....completely untrue. The coverage of MJ's death has made me realized how poorly reasearched CNN's information really is...

July 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  20. Chantal

I question the whole "concierge doctor" business. These doctors are not really doctors. They are only driven by $$$$$$$. Bottom line. We need to look into it more closely.

July 27, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  21. Sandi

Thank you Meggie I 1000% agree with you! I heard in the very begining the first part of the toxology reports stated that he had 20 pills in his empty stomach. The pills were NOT disloved and if the pills did not dislove then the full strength of those medications would have not have been the sole cause of MJ's death.

July 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  22. Sandi

I wanted to add another comment about Dr Murray, he is a cardiologist, I am very upset the way the CPR was given to MJ. I am no doctor and anyone with an ounce of common sense knows to place the patient on a hard surface to give CPR and you use both hands during chest compressions. My thoughts and prayers go out to MJ's children they are having a hard time right now as well as the rest of the Jackson family. Peace and Love

July 27, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  23. Sandi

I think what has been uncovered through the investigation that Diprivan/Proprofol was given to MJ is very clear. I also don't think that the question regarding MJ's perscription drug use is an issue at this point. As far as the guest speaker commented about it being a case of medical malpractice get out of here Jackson didn't give himself the Diprivan (physically impossible)! I also would like to end my comment by expressing my empathy with MJ and not being able to sleep. I have had a sleeping problem for years fortunately I am able to get sleep with Ambien but there was a point years ago that I to begged for anything to help me sleep "just give me 6 hours of good sleep". I would say that to anyone who would listen.

July 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  24. dale

What kind of message is the NFL sending to our youth. Dog fighting is horrible. When are we going to make the jocks understand they are out of control. Thid type of behavior is unexceptable. I will not be watching any football. What has this country come to!!!!!

July 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  25. Betty

Wasn't there an article that said he collapsed in the living room and they carried him to the bedroom and tried to revive him in there so he did actually wake up

July 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  26. Lizbeth Gonzalez

Hi, Sorry for my english, I am a anesthesiologist from Mexico and I work with propofol everyday, I think it is important to talk about more things about propofol, I dont think that propofol caused jackson`s dead, It is true that patients under it`s effects stop breathing but it`s effects only lasts about 8 minutes or so.

July 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  27. toby

i think we just need to wait for results and see what they show. all in all he was taken too soon from us and it's still sad. I love you michael...wish you could rest in peace.

July 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  28. Anna Jo

I miss Michael Jackson so much. It is still all so sad.

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  29. jane

its so sad how the doctor is to be blamed for mj death its only ovious that the dr. is being set up by the people that is over all mj money the part that upsets me is that the real killers used a black man to be blamed for killing a black man

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  30. Yvonne

Also, could you charge a physician for malpractice if he sees a man who is alleged to have collapsed veins and is alleged to be emaciated? I heard the AEG exec say he had to feed food to MJ because he'd forget to eat. What responsible physician would see a man in frail health and only think he's job was to provide him an anesthetic?

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  31. daniel karpan MS, CRNA, APRN

propofol is a non-barbituate. it s package insert has a warning to be given only by those trained in general anesthesia. it can be placed on a special mechanical pump that can deliver a dose just enough to create conscious sedatio . if you would like please call me i use it on my patients everyday safely, but I'm trained to do so. a small amount goes a long way especially if there are other drug on board. respectfully, dan karpan (985) 519-1880.

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  32. nona

I wonder if Dr. Murray knows Dr. Kevorkian?
    There is so much focus on Jackson, who, what when, where and how about Dr. Murray's other patients?

July 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  33. jerry remedor

Doctor murray should be charged with man slaughter he knew that everything he was doing for jackson was incorrect.

July 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  34. douni

I get the impression that doctors nowadays are money minded and would do anything to enrich themselves ,this is an occular example.Please the state -gov should do something starting with this Dr. Murray

July 27, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  35. jessica ( Toronto Canada )

I think the doctor should go to jail period!!!! He knew what he was doing and knew that drug was not supposed to be outside a hospital setting!!! Also how is that the doctor waited 30 mins to call 911, so he know what will happened after he gave that drug, what medical doctor does that?? He is responsible and he should face the consequence.

July 27, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  36. Yvonne

What I don't understand is what effect does anesthesia have on one's body if used everyday? Isn't it being speculated that Michael Jackson needed the drug to sleep each night? And, although Diprivan leaves the body quickly, would there be build up if used as a drip each night (how else would he stay asleep all night) for at least 8 hours and possibly every night?

July 27, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  37. tanya

I hope that the President, Gates and Crowell will go and have that beer soon. This is getting old.

July 27, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  38. urvish Shah

Can you get the pronounciation of "Propofol" right??? It is not "Propofail"!!!!

July 27, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  39. Betty Sue

After hearing all the sides, including the 911 call regarding a possible break-in, I'm inclined to believe the police on this one. The person who reported what she thought was a possible break-in at a neighbor's home make one reference to ethnicity or race when asked, and indicated she thought Hispanic but wasn't sure. There were no other comments about race in the intial report. Therefore, the cops did not show up with preconceived notions about any potential suspects. Given that 2 persons were reported and only one was accounted for, Mr. Gates, the police had every right to probe for more details. Mr. Gates went off unnecessarily, in my opinion, and was the one who instigated his own arrest. As for Obama...he should have kept his mouth shut. Isn't there a bank that needs another bail-out some place with his name all over it?

July 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  40. Lin

Even if MJ asked this idiot doctor for the drug, he should have used his professional judgement. He did not. After administering the deadly drug, he did not watch MJ for the reaction. He walked away. When he came back to check, it was too late. He deliberately killed Micheal because he knew the effect of the drug that he gave MJ and did not take precaution. Even when he discovered what he did, his behavior was not conducive to his station. As such, premeditated murder is appropriate charge in this case.

July 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  41. Annie Kate

I think the NFL has been more than generous to Vick. To do a full reinstatement automatically would almost reek of an acceptance of what he did to go to jail.

The Gates incident has had its time in the sun; time to move on and cover some other news. Each man has his own perception of what went on and the two perceptions will never agree – that's the way it is.

July 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  42. meggie

To VonBovet:

Yes, Michael Jackson had a drug problem. Thing is, his doctor KNEW that. So why keep supplying him with pain killers? What kind of doctor is that? It;s like your AA sponsor taking you out for a beer!

And this is not only about "drug overdose." This is about an anesthetic. So, MJ asked to be sedated with an anesthetic. So this doctor GIVES IT TO HIM?? What kind of PERSON, let alone doctor, would do that to another human being? It is gross negligence, malpractice, and indeed manslaughter

July 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. eleanor coombs,ga

When Michael cried" they are out to kill me", was he hallucinating or was he being truthful? He was bound to OD if left alone anyway but all the one on one care, he shouldn't have

July 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. MarqueriteVonBovet

Hi Anderson.
    MJackson was an adult. Everybody blaming people around him. Nobody mentions that he probably simply died of drug abuse. He was a drug addict. Maybe doctors around him malpracticed. But MJ is the one that kill himself.

July 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. richard

I worked as an EMT for five years; you don't perfom CPR on a bed, it has too much give.

July 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. laialee

The main objective of any doctor should be to heal within the guidelines of medicine. Clearly, this doctor crossed the boundaries by potentially administering a drug which should have only been used for surgery. The medical professional should always be held accountable for crossing such boundaries.

July 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Isabel, Brazil

Evening Maureen!

Indeed there is much to be explained by the doctor for Michael Jackson. It is sad to know that someone so talented was so desperate and died this way.

For the teacher and the police, a confrontation be discarded?
    Since each has a version of the facts, it might help.

See you later

July 27, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  48. Melanie

Dr. Murray had no buisness administering this drug. As far as I am concerned, he should have his license permantly revoked.

July 27, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  49. antonio from New Mexico

Its' kind of ironic Michael Jackson died from to much
    health care and many people I know do not have
    enough money and enough adequate insurance
    to pay for one doctor visit. People should wake
    up!

July 27, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  50. Cindy

I think we all knew that Murray gave Jackson some sort of drug that may have led to his death. This really is no surprise. We were all expecting it. Now comes the part of proving it or if it had anything at all to do with Michael's death.

This Gates fiasco has ran it's 15 minutes...PLEASE move on!

Vick has just as much of a right to a second chance as anyone else. He did his time and now he can do as he pleases once again. That is how our laws work.

Cindy..Ga.