July 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/23/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. 360's Randi Kaye has uncovered what authorities took from Jackson's doctor's office in Houston. We also have new insight on Jackson's last days.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Brenda

Racism in America! Will it ever end? And yes, racism is a two way street, and it seems we've just seen both sides of it....

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Cindy

Anderson..it seems to me that Gates downplays his attitude and yelling. He's trying to blame the cop.

Cindy..Ga.

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Jennifer

I agree Anderson so two very different perspectives so who do we believe?

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. kita Hunter

Racial discrimination in this country is really really bad. I work at a college and it is still wide spread unfairness in every department where I work. And, this supposed to be a professional organization. Please....This country will never treat blacks as fair as they do whites.

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. William Jones

this embodies what the America thinks of African-American. No matter what level of success you may achieve; they still see us a 2nd class citizens. had this been a white citizen, he would have quickly apologized and assited him to get in. African-American(Gates); racial profiling at it's best.

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Brian Moore

It's hilarious to hear how unaware, the majority is of how unfair and slanted the american justice system has always been to ppl of color, and then try to justify that sorted of slanted view point, with jargon, semantics, and misdirection.

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Bill

This issue is real for all people of color. I live in Virginia and I've had this happen to me twice over the past two years. One time in my military uniform and another in front of my home. This is a part of police training and some white officers upbringing. We as a nation need to address this issue head on and come up with some positive solutions.

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. lois

It was not racism, it was testosterone. They were both wrong and the president should stay out of it.

July 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. dee

Why is no one speaking to the fact that the Supreme Court has determined that the peace of a police officer can not be breached? So, how could Mr. Gates be suspected of disorderly conduct (basically, a breach of the peace) in this case? Just because you yell and scream does not mean you are to be charged with disorderly conduct. People yell and scream at police officers everyday. If you can't deal with someone who is irate or screaming, you should not be wearing a badge. He can yell and scream on his front porch all he wants as long as a neighbor doesn't sign a complaint against him.

10. nicole

Everyone knows racism still exists. Prof Boyce said he spoke to the officers to get there point of view and that as viewers we are not looking at the evidence. But he never mentioned getting the professor's point of view. So, his point of view is one sided and just because he is African American he does not represent my point of view.

11. Maryellen

I am a longtime supporter of Pres. Obama, I am sorely disappointed that he has commented on this case. He has certainly made race an issue that he as our President should not have done. He does not need to comment on a case (just because it is his friend) until he has all the facts. Or not comment at all. He has more important things to consider and needs to be the President for "all" people not just black men. This is racism at it's worst because he has the power of the media.

12. knaraine

I believe that Mr martin is right two people can see the same thing differntly i i think we could never know what really happenend in the house but the people who was there so i believe that prof gates is right in he might have been targeted but the police officer could have just been doing his job

13. Jenn

I think that the President can comment on anything he wants and it is funny that people act like he can't have an opinion. Racial profiling is a huge problem. Why do people assume black people can't be telling the truth or are just complaining from no reason? Are we not trustworthy enough? Does our opinion of life not matter? He was arrested in his own home and proving it was his home...UH HELLO. At the end of the day..this is just wrong. White America please get a clue..you can't correct something you don't acknowledge. It is staring you right in the face.

14. addy

I know the police when responding to a false burglar alarm at my house didn't ask me for id. The question is would he have asked a white professor for id ? Personally I think it was a case of living in a nice house while black.

15. Katrina Cathcart

All I wonder is that if everything was on the up and up with the police, why did they drop the charges? Something must not have stood up on the police side.

16. Carter

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. As the chips fall it will come out. Both sides I think are not being totally honest in their remarks.

17. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    Black In America 2 was excellent–well worth viewing the past few nights. Your discussion tonight on racial profiling is very interesting.
    –Your interview with Claire Hoffman–on Michael Jackson–should be fascinating.

18. Alvin

I think the professors words pushed the the policeman over the line. He should not have been arrested, but would not have been, if he had simply been polite.

This was not a case of racial profiling.

19. ivy

I think race played a big part of what happened.

20. andersoncnn

its really interesting to read both the police report, and professor gates' account. both very different perspectives.

21. John Garcia

The officer should have gotten all of his facts together before making the arrest.

22. Redginal

It is also true that it should not take this professor to get arrested in order for this issue to get attention. Blacks are being racially profiled everyday.

23. Ishmael

Officer should have used better discretion, & not arrested Prof. Gates. I think the officer used arrest to retaliate against Prof after confrontation.

24. Tom

I am really sick of all this MJ coverage. I mean, the man was old enough to know right from wrong. He was an addict and this is what happens to addicts sometimes. Enough is enough already.

25. Darell Stewart

With the incident regarding the professor, was there a second police officer there and if so what was his account of the incident.

26. Leroy Cobb

If professor Gates had been white, the incident never would have hit the news.

27. gwen turner

To black americans this is a common occurence. If prof gates was a white man it would've been handled differently.

28. Steve, Petoskey, MI

Erica, you'll love it. Soledad did an awesome job with "Black in America"

29. Shaun-C

Erica it was wonderful. I had my 6 and 8 yearold watching with me.

30. Shamiko

I don't understand why we keep talking about "we don't know the truth about what happend behind close doors!" The fact is the "close doors" are property of GATES. Apparently Gates was right regardless because the police had to get him out of the house inorder to arrest him. If the police was right he would have been able to arrest Gates in his home. The fact is Gates did not get arrested inside of his home because he could act however he wanted inside of his own home. The officer was WRONG.

31. donna

The Gates matter is just once again shedding light on the issues of being an African-American male in America. The shame is that I among thousands of other black mothers with young sons know that racial profiling will unfortunately happen to them at least once in their lifetime.

32. Sedale

@ Tim I agree that he stepped over boundaries but not necessarily for that reason. He and Gates had a personal relationship at Harvard. Of course he's going to defend him, not just because he's a "black friend".

The reason i think he was out of line is because this could've been a much more isolated incident. but Obama's opinion makes it much bigger than it needs to be. That and the police's refusal to apologize

33. charlotte

Hello everyone, hello Anderson. After the whole incident with Professor Gates, what I find most interesting is the fact that the police were even called. Doesn't anyone in the community know who he is? If my neighbors saw me trying to get into my home they would certainly help me.

34. Tim K.

The comments by Boyce Watkins on Gates' arrest were some of the most insightful and fair comments I've seen on a racially-charged issue. It is important to understand both sides of the story before we, as a society, and especially the President, dub someone a racist. Do we give the benefit of the doubt to the police or to the alleged victim? Surely the same standard should apply whether the victim is white or black.

35. Bishop:

Anderson, racial profiling occures throughout this nation on people of color all the time. America needs to accept this fact and not keep pushing this matter under the rug.

July 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Derek Ambrose (Atlanta, GA)

Hello Anderson. The charge was disorderly conduct but if the tables were turned, would the officer expect to have himself arrested? I think if the officer felt the professor was out of order, he should have at least given a warning before he actually made an arrest. Please keep them honest Anderson. Thanks

37. Fay - California

Not all cops are bad, but it's understandable how wary minorities are when interacting with them considering how large a problem racial profiling seems to be. Whether or not the officer apologizes is unimportant, but what IS important is how this entire situation has shed light on a very real problem for many people in this country.

38. Peggy, Atlanta Ga

Profiling under scrutiny....it that a joke or what...they say that the states in blue have banded racial profiling...come on people. I'm not saying that all police officers are bad....but a few bad ones put a black eye on the good ones.

39. Robbin

Who is the guy that doesn't want to admit that racial profiling exists and where is he from? The officer "said" he followed procedure – that doesn't mean that he did. If this had been a white man, once he realized that this was his home, the officer would have apologized and been on his way. And president Obama was correct in stating that the officer acted "stupidly"!

40. Cynthia

I think the President should have use another word instead on stupidly.

41. charles

For crying out loud the police were called of a posible break in and had to be check it out. If it were a white man the police officer would have reacted the same way.

42. luke

the officer abused his power Anderson. The arrest
    Was to much when you take him to police station.

43. vanessa

We must remember that an officer has a responsibility to protect and serve the public. Although Gates was arrested, who is to say that he was taken into custorda simply because of his skin color? We don't know what transpired inside the home . Disorderly conduct is a crime and whether you're black or white, acting flagrant against a police officer is cause enough to get arrested.

44. triple G, Birmingham

If you are a professor you of all people should be professional and file a complaint after the incident occurs. President Obama try to stay out of Local business. No offense

45. Carrie

I would just like to know why the officer didn't speak out until after the President made his remarks. Many people tried to get a comment yet he waited til the President's comment

46. Martin F

It seems the race card is being used on both sides. When it comes to an interpretation of facts, more support is given to police rather than the civilian. The fact that this police officer is not in anyway apologetic shows how skilled he is in race and public relations.

47. Vikita Hunter

Racial profiling in the country will never ever go away. Driving while black is dangerous and now, it appears that standing on your own porch while black is becoming more suspicious as it refers to Mr. Gates.

48. Diane N.

If procedure called for finding out if there where warrents and whether or not the man was suppose to be in the house, isn't that what the computers in the squad car are for? I'm not buying the officers side. I believe he instigated a situation and took advantage of a man already upset by the whole situation. Not even a race issue but a power issue.

49. Bill

The Guy does not need to be a bad cop, to get on a power trip. It happens all the time. Remember the football player in the hospital parking lot. The Cop kept him while his mother in law was dying? I don't think this cop was racest, I think he was mad.

50. Thkisha Sanogo

It is always important to get both sides of the story but we all know that there are really three sides: you side, my side and the actual truth. The actual truth is seldom realized so stop analyzing race as a factor but try to understand people and what their perception of the truth is.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15