July 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/23/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. 360's Randi Kaye has uncovered what authorities took from Jackson's doctor's office in Houston. We also have new insight on Jackson's last days.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. george mccormick

when a police man investagate a breakein he needs to make a complete investigation. if he has a problem he needs to take the person down town. to get a complete investigation.. i think

2. mike Bham,AL

race should not matter when the law is being broken, was Mr Gates in his right as owner and identified himself as home owner?

3. Tammy

Why is the arresting cop saying that he will not issue an apology?

4. Steve, Petoskey, MI

Notice the map that was posted in the two shades of blue about racial profiling? That's a map that all local, state, and the federal government need to closely look at.

5. Forrest T.

At this point, unless we were all there when the Gates situation occurred, we don't have enough evidence to consider racial profiling. The issue originally was that Gates was arrested inside of his own home, because a neighbor thought that he was a burglar. It should have been left at that

6. Tony

Racial profiling is very prevalent in this society. I've been a victim on more than one occasions. You don't have to be black, just look different and you can be easily profiled. I am very grateful that our society is atleast addressing this issue. Thanks to the media.

7. David

With respect to the incident, I applaud our President for his statement because if the facts are true, then it was indeed stupid. However, if it is not true, then the individual making the allegations is a disgrace. Forget his color, but judge him on his character.

8. Yolanda

Obama should not have responded to this and secondly Gates should not want an apology. At least I wouldn't want one from him. It wouldn't be heart felt anyway.

9. Minou, New York City

@Erica – I missed the entire thing today and yesterday. I hope I can catch it on the weekend...

10. Marva

I believe the arrest of Henry Louis Gates is absolutely absurd!! Although it has been mentioned that it is "standard procedure," for a situation as this the should have been measures taken to prevent Mr. Gates from having to be handcuffed and going to jail. Once it was discovered that he was actual in his house, the officers should have backed off.

11. Mark

President Obama had every right to state his opinion. If it was inappropriate for him to answer it was more inappropriate for him to have been asked the question. Race is an issue in America. Stop the denial please.

12. Cecilia

Is it a coincidence that this follows the Black in America documentary?
    How poetic, CNN

13. Karen

I don't believe this was racial profiling. I agree with the Professor. If we don't know all the facts, don't judge based on what happened during slavery. Been over for a very long time. Mr. Martin is only expressing his anti-white (or anyone else who is not black) opinion – like he always does.

14. cynthia

I'm glad this incident happen because it allows Professor Gates and all others to revisit this issue and make some serious effective interventions to resolve this situation

15. Ingrid B

Intent and Perception are not always in line. I doubt that if the officers knocked on the door and addressed Mr Gates respectfully Yet being attentive to the possible situation we would not be having this convo. Good Or Bad Cops EGOs sometimes get out of hand. And as a fellow black person who talks back I know they dont like that

16. trenia

where is the 2nd person? .why was he not arrest ? why did his neighbor not know the car r the home owner ?

17. Annie

I personally think there are two sides to every story. So the professor got arrested yesterday it was probably because of protocol. I can remember one time when I locked myself out of my house whenever I still lived at home with mom and dad and they had to go thru all the proper steps before they would open the door for me and I'm a white woman. I think Roland has some serious issues and only cares about himself and his ego. He gets on the defense about an issue before he stops to listen. But in all honesty the officer did what he was supposed to do. For Crying Out Loud the officer that arrested him was chosen by a black officer. When white men get arrested by black officers do you ever hear "Breaking News" NO! Its pathetic. Lets move on!

July 23, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

Not surprised Washington is in the Dark Blue. Profiling in our departments has been an issue.

19. Kamika S. Addison

It is sad but very true that racial profiling is alive and well in the U.S. The only reason that this is getting live coverage is Prof. Gates was a professor because in my area this happens everyday but the only difference is the black man charges are not dropped he has to wear all those charges because he does not have the resources to clear his name its the officers word against his and 9 out of 10 times the officer will win

20. Cecilia

This is getting blown up as none of us were present. However, It seems that the cause of a 'disorderly conduct' would be due to the reaction of the Professor; and it is always best to think before reacting and go the extra step to keep peace as opposed to allowing one's temper to lash out.

21. Aj

If the Proffesor was guilty then why where the charges dropped

22. sharon, sydney, ns

It seems kind of sad. Racial profiling in this day and age. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

23. Corey

It seems that the conversation has missed an important point. That is, "what ever happened to respecting those that wear the uniform and the badge?" Even if you have had bad experiences with them in the past, it does not make it right to profile all of police officers as wrongdoers.

24. den

Racial Profiling is a very serious problem. I want you to know that not because you teach a few racial profiling classes means you are not racists. I do not see anything wrong with the Presidentsaying the police officer was stupid.

America WAKE UP people of colour faces some form of racial profiling every day of their lives.

I think he was not only stupid but ignorant. the officer could have handled the situation differently.

25. Ken

Good evening,
    Racial profiling is so hard to prove. However, I know it happens more ofen than it should.

26. jim - atlanta GA.

i was very impressed with Boyce Watkins tonight.

27. Theo

I feel that the President shouldn't made a comment until all the issue came out. No comment would have been perfect here. I feel that Gates is using the race card for the wrong reason. Of course if you lock yourself out, you would be upset, but th eofficer was right by asking the professor to leave the house for his protection and for gates. I feel that gates was upset, and use angry for his judgment. Another factors is that Gates don't really have a detail statement. But we will get the truth since they have witness.

28. Ellis

The Police officer knew that as long as he was in Prof. Gates, home he could not arrest him. Once he had him come out of the house on the porch, he knew he could get him for Disorderly Conduct. He had to be out of the house for that charge. As long as Prof. Gates, stayed in his home, there was not much the officer could do but leave. .

29. Tim D. Toronto Canada

This is definitely not a comforting feeling. I don't believe that an arrest was necessary. There's more here then just procedure. My heart goes out to young black men that go through this every single day. This is more then just a "local" issue.

30. eleanor coombs, ga.

Roland...the arrest can be added to Gates notes when he does his biography... You must know that this is all reel rather than real.

31. Jon-Tait Beason

I am just appalled by all this; it may take the the arrest of an opponent of Gates, in their own home, handcuffed and removed, to understand what really happened to the man!!

32. lesley k

pres obama didnt comment because he is the pres.. he commented because gates is his good friend. he is human also..

33. Debbie - Maryland

Police officers are trained to defuse tense situations. After officer verified Prof. Gates' identity he should have left his house. That would have defused the situation. Instead he escalated the situation by goading Prof. Gates into leaving his house just so he could arrest him.

34. Peter

Just because the Off. involved in the arrest of Prof. Grant taught classes on racial profiling does not mean he doesn't practice it. What's the saying," It takes one to know one." It's not just African-Americans whom's Civil Rights and Liberties are violated by law enforcement. All people are subject to cops with an attitude. Even pre-school teachers start to sweat when they show up.

35. Tony

In reference to Harvard Prof. arrest:

The two men need to sit down with one another and talk about what happened like adults. hash out the differences in the accounts and then go from there like mature individuals.

36. Winston

I agree that all information needs to heard before speaking on the situation in regards to the arrest of Professor Gates. However, racial profiling does exist as the President stated. I was fixing a flat on my car two weeks ago (south side of Chicago) when a police officer pulled up ran my plates, asked what I was doing, where I work, where Iive and then called for backup. All while I was in a shirt and tie just trying to get to the train station so I can go to work at the law firm.

37. Toni - Charlotte NC

Funny how we can all give our opinion and the President who was responding to a question asked of him, is now out of line...what is really going on here

38. Mac,Houston,Tx

That situation happens all the time in the South

39. judy

consider prof. gates is returning from overseas trip-jet lag, tired...unable to open door of his home-angry, frustrated and then along comes a white officer asking him questions on his front porch...a rush to judgemet, by whom?

40. PWalker

Boyce has a good point, Racial profiling can be a problem on both sides. Professor Gates is an upstanding, national personality. Why was he not recognized?
    This should be the poster child for racial profiling. It is a big problem among black males.

41. Edward

@ Mike from Syracuse: How is a person disorderly in his or her own home? This story has gotten so much publicity because many people in the black community believe racial profiling exists.

42. Yolanda

Cindy

The police report is only the cops side of the story so you can't say who was really in the wrong.

43. Justice

How do you get arrested for disorderly conduct in your own home. trespassing or break and entering maybe. Not disorderly conduct this may not be racial but just an upset officer. This was a violation of his rights

44. Marie

Yes, the President should have answered the question. Both gentlemen are making great points; however, I am disturbed the Officer can take such a pompous stand by saying he will not now or ever apologize. This appears to be an ego issue not a racist issue. Last point, it does not seem to be a racist issue and his resume is not relevant. His current actions are. Most people that do wrong can tell you what is right and even teach it.

45. Noble

There is always 3 sides to a story. The professor, the cop & God. Whatever decision is made do believe our Lord will have the final decision for all.

46. Lori Wrihgt

Would the same thing have happened if Proffesor Gates had made the call on his neighbor who did? Probably not...but we will never know.

47. starr formerly known as vincent

I did want to mention that we (family & friends) watched Black in America 2 and were moved to tears at times.

The experience of the young people in S. Africa was gratifying to watch.

We were also very impressed by the Principal of Capitol Prep School. What an amazing man!

Soledad presented another excellent documentary!

July 23, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Ronnie

Also I like Mr. Boyce point of veiw. He seems to be a man that can think and look at both sides.

July 23, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Cynthia, NC

Hello and good evening. I wish President Obama had chosen his words differently last night when asked about the Professor Gates case. His word choice set him up for all kinds of controversy. Based on the info I've heard so far, I feel both Officer Crowley and Professor Gates could have handled the situation much differently.

July 23, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. victor

I know police are supposed to do their job, but what is the procedure to go into private property where there is no sign of buglary or a gateway car .

July 23, 2009 at 10:15 pm |