July 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/23/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. 360's Randi Kaye has uncovered what authorities took from Jackson's doctor's office in Houston. We also have new insight on Jackson's last days.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Suvro, AC360°

@Isabel Unfortunately, we dont have a webcam...we are working on it...

2. Cindy

@ Dona Evans...Gates was disorderly when he went outside and kept yelling and screaming.

Cindy..Ga.

3. Josh- Tiffin, OH

I agree with the pres. on the arrest of the professor.

4. @Dawn

This is what slows the progress of black america nad race relations. There are always people within black america who constantly feels the need to explain away actions taken against minorities in this country always asking us to turn the other cheek and understand the oppressors' position. I have no cheek left to turn...wake up people!

5. Jacqueline

Hi Anderson,

How would America feel if the police officer had been black and the professor white? I think the police officer would have been fired immediately.

Jacqueline

6. Kristen, MD

Anna, yes I read the police report. But just because it's in the police report do we completely discredit what Gates account of this situation is? I just don't know.

7. Joe Terrogano

Who out there would be o.k. with being arrested after producing your I.D. in your own home? Forget white or black. How many can be honest and say that you would be fine with that?

8. Karen

The photo shows other officers at the scene of the arrest of Dr. Gates. What is their perspective of what happened? Especially the African American officer pictured

9. Wanda

Why didn't the officer leave after Dr. Gates showed his identification?

10. Hannah

I think that before they accuse they should know all the facts.

11. debraL

Gates should be crazy mad and out for this officers blood. He was in his own house, asking for badge no as he has a right to and even if he was yelling and screaming at this cop he was after all in his own home and the officer was no complying with him as to who he was......Gates should NEVER have been mug shot – that was egregious on the part of the police dept-

12. Charlene Mullins

If Professor Gates was white, he would have been handed back his id and given an apology, but because he's black he was already a criminal

13. Dee Holman

Why are so many people in denial? If it had been a white "professor" proving that the house was his, he would not have been arrested.
    Secondly, the action was stupid. The action is what the President spoke on, not the police man. If the shoe doesn't fit don't put it on!

14. Bill

Even if Gates was a complete Jerk, HE'S IN HIS OWN HOME!!" You have a right to be a jerk in your own home. This was not about race, it was about power. He arrested him because he could.

15. Travis Tatom

When someone is charged with disorderly conduct, what does that mean? Was he causing harm to the public? Was he causing harm to the officiers? Was he causing harm to anyone? If not, why was he
    charged?

16. Trish Gorham, Oakland

His record reveals the officer to be upstanding. He had the authority to do what he did. But he used serious misjudgment and abused his authority.

17. Ingrid B

Does anyone know If this a college town. If it is then how do u not know where A very well known Black Harvard Professor lives ?

18. SidNickels in Dallas

@Cindy The Police officer was completely in the wrong period. Ther'yre suppose to protect and serve and not harass and arrest people in there on home!!!

19. Thomas Williams

The Gates controversy is not about the President. Its about seeking common ground and embracing our racial differences.

20. Brandon

Seeing how Henry Louis Gates Jr. is not only a Harvard professor but one of the nation's pre-eminent African-American scholars isn't it possible that a lot of his anger and rage towards the police officer came from the fact that he did not recognize or know who he was. Perhaps his ego got to the best of him.

21. jesse

this wasn't racial profiling. Ive seen racial profiling and this wan't it.

22. Autumn

I truly believe that there are 2 sides to the arrest of the Harvard Professor. However, I think its important that authoritative figures such as policeman should be more conscious to the diversity of Americans and how their actions can be perceived by the general public.

23. Tim

Obama crossed the line. He's supposed to be President for ALL Americans, not just his black friends.

24. Rafael Rosado

Regardless of the situation in Caimbridge, the President should not have let himself be drawn in to the frey.

25. Chris

Looking at police report and gates statement . The bottom line is the cop can not explain why he arrested Gates. It was totally unlawful.

26. Franco Valverde

hello AC, in the photo that you see Mr. Gates in hand cuffs, there is an african american police officer in the lower right hand corner, (1)why dosn't anybody ask him if there was any type of racial profiling involed, (2) his view if Mr. Gates was mistreated and 3, if he would have done anything different if he was the arresting sgt.?

27. Erin

Even Harvard scholars lose it sometimes. I suspect this was one of those times.

28. BackToMath

I enjoy the intellect Roland Martin contributes to this particluar story, however there is a certain air that is asserted when you are of a professional stature. On the other hand profiling is a major issue in America. There are 2 sides and then the truth and I am still waithing for the truth...

29. Cassie

Evening AC,

I've just heard about the Henry Louis Gates news, and I am a bit confused about what has happened. Was he arrested inside his home for something he did in some other location/environment, were the police called because of certain behavior, could you or someone further explain the story.

Thanks

30. Nicole

Hey, great discussion. Yea we know who the victim is...really we do!

31. eunjoli jones

I truely have to see and read all the facts before making my own assumptions? Its to much in this world going on to make EVERYTHING as race issue....

32. Jude DukeQuell

The only thing im going to say is how can the police come to my house question me in my home and then arrest me for disorderly conduct in my home. Skip Gates was made to feel as if he where a suspect of breaking into his own home..

33. Kathy

Give me a break!!! Crowley (spelling??) the cop that arrested Gates taught classes on racial profiling?? That's like saying... "but I have a black friend so I'm not racist." If he really understood racial profiling and history behind it...he would have understood Gates' frustration.

34. Sedale

The victim is the guy that was arrested in his own house...Granted the policeman's job may be in jeopardy depending on the investigation he can get another job. And clearly he thinks he was right so he's not gonna lose any sleep...

35. Deborah

I noticed an African American police officer at the house as well. What was his comment about the incident?

36. margaret

I think there are poor communities where, if you call the police, they are too busy to even show up. The professor should be thankful that he had involved neighbors and lived in an area where police could respond so quickly.

37. Kendall

Even though I feel so empowered from just watching Black In America, I have to take the cop's side on this one, some people are so ready to accuse others of misconduct. I think officers are so trained to be afraid of EVERYONE that their instinct is always handcuffs, taser, gun, in that order!

38. eleanor coombs, ga.

Boyce Watkins talks with common sense. Tho in many cases blacks are profiled, in this case, I thinl the Professor got what he was looking for..."prime time t.v". He may or may not have provoked an arrest, but I'm willing to bet, he knew the outcome of this thing.

39. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

The person making the call only did what any good neighbor should do. Please, if you see someone without a key trying to open my door call the police. I think both sides have to shoulder some blame here and no one does. If both said my fault i am sorry, this wouldn't be national news.

40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why is it that people automatically believe the black participant in these situations? Many times people try to use the race card to their advantage in situations like this. Based on what I heard from Gates, he seems to have a chip on his shoulder.

41. Danielle

it's not about "a white man arresting a black man so he must be racist." the problem goes deeper than that. it is how the situation was handled that is the problem.

42. Lori, IL

I agree with Boyce Watkins - racism is a two way street - looking forward to the day when the color of a person's skin is not a factor - period. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that day is a long way off -

43. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone!

I'm glad to see more complex discussion of Gates' arrest. The simplistic terms in which it has been analyzed by most is disheartening. Given the actual racial lines still dividing our country, I believe Gates has cheapened the dialog by implying racial motivations behind an arrest that was clearly appropriate given his conduct.

44. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! I learned so much watching Black in America 2. Really enjoyed the stories of some very remarkable people!

As far the Gates story goes, I don't think we will ever get the real story because both Professor Gates and the Police Officer appear to be credible people.

45. thephoenix720

i love conversations like this. I'm siding with the cop on this case. I think this is actually blown out of proportion and by the way, I'm black.

46. Steve

Way to go Boyce! Just because you're a white police officer arresting a black suspect doesn't make him or the action racist!!!! Enough said.

47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Nancy, the person who called 911 wasn't a neighbor. It was another Harvard employee who was passing by. That's why she didn't know him.

48. Minou, New York City

There is racism, which is openly debated, and there is also reversed-racism, which is taboo. Both issues need to be addressed.

49. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson, Erica & Team 360.

Hellow fellow bloggers.

I am saddened to see that we are still discussing Prof. Gates.

Although i feel that Prof. Gates was entitled to be insulted when in his own home, i guess the real battle, in the end, is 2 Egos clashing.

Both men need to come to some peace on this issue..

50. Kristen, MD

JoAnn, it's not the callers fault. If anyone suspects someone breaking into my house, please by all means I want my neighbors to call the police. What she did was a good thing.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15