July 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/23/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. 360's Randi Kaye has uncovered what authorities took from Jackson's doctor's office in Houston. We also have new insight on Jackson's last days.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. jeff

Anderson – We have the most important policy debate of our life time going on as we speak and your time slot is showing documentaries / human interest stories. Please get in the game. We need a "keeping them honest" segment on the proposed healthcare bill desperately. We rely on you guys and nows not the time for a summer vacation.
    Help!!!!

July 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. mary e crozier

I think that Prof Gates and Office Crowley are both reasonable men caught up in an emotional reaction with an intense media focus. I would like to see them together inthe future when all of this attention dies down. Then they could evaluate the pros and cons of the situation. It is interesting that Office Crowley has taught about racial profiling for police. And when he was a Northeaseern U cop at 26 he did pulmonary resuscitation on a well known Black athelete, Reggie Lewis, who was stricken and needed help. Officer Crowley, according to those who know , report that Officer Crowley was intensely upset that he could not revive Lewis who died. These guys could have been friends if circumstances were different. Mary Crozier, Boston, Ma.

July 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Pat

Hello everyone, I think we will not know exactly what happened at the Gates residence. I read Nicole S's comment, Nicole you must be pyschic to know the officer was at fault, You are my new hero!!! to be honest my husband is a retired peace officer and my two sons followed in his footsteps. I would pray for those of you that are fast to blame the officer but i just would bet that if you are in danger the first call you make is for a cop... hopefully they will be there to help. Obama was totally wrong ! Nicole Peace girl !!!

July 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. nice

We only heard about this because the professor is a prominent person, this or something similar happens everyday and we hear nothing about it, and if a person of importance experiences this with no results, what do u think happens to a poor black person in the same situtation, he would still be in jail. I take police reports with a grain of salt, it is one sided and written by the officer who has his own best interest in mind.

July 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Eugenia - San Francisco

I absolutely loved Black in America 2, it made me cry a few times. Soledad, I think you are wonderful. But please let me state that even the schools that are in the wealthier communities lack the parent participation and the parents that do volunteer, they depend on them so much. The teachers are constantly paying out of their own pockets for the children to have the things they need. Really enjoyed part 2!

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. charlie

The question 4 me is if prof. Gates were an prominate white male, then would the officer have arrested him under the same or simular circumstances? I don't believe so.

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"That marriage is going to be a rocking and a rolling!"

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Suvro, AC360°

I will admit this...I love tonight's SHOT!!!

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Bill

i think MJ was a great entertainer both singer and dancer...his music and videos are awsome and he will at least in that way live forever!

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Christine from Greenburgh, NY

All, I am a 44 yer old professional single mom (adopted son) and I have to begin telling him to not speak to a police, except to say in the most polite way to please call his mom if he is ever stopped by the police. I work hard and pay a lot of taxes and yet I would be very afraid to call the cops to my house if I am in need..That was Mr Gates home. Why could the police office who was responsible for sensitivity training just apologized and walked away? Someone please explain that to me..

Do you get arrested because you just camr back from China - 20hrs flying and exhausted and want to get some rest in your own home...

Unitl you have lived the experience, you will never understand...

The president haslived that experience so he can comment on it.... why shouldn't he do it... It was a stupid thing to arrest this man in his own home.
    It is such a pity...

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  11. G-Michael

I am an African American and have been a police officer for ten years. I work in a state that requires us to have training on Racial Profiling every year. I was even chosen to be one of the instructors last year. There is no question that all law enforcement should understand good police work vs racial profiling. It is very dangerous continue to sound the alarm of racial injustice without demanding that we all take responsibility for our actions. It is unfortunate that as our violent crime rates rise and we risk our lives to serve and protect more people pull the race card when they are arrested. Is anyone really committing these crimes or what. I just had a car check yesterday where the black male suspect ran from the vehicle. When the suspect was taken into custody the intire blaoc came outside calling me a discrace to my race for arresting a blackman. But the suspect with arrest warrants, drugs, and traffic charges was there hero.

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Sabrina In Las Vegas

OMG, what happened to traditional wedding services with classical music like Pachabel's Canon in D and refinement?

Why is acting improper a good things now?

I don't get it.

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Elizabeth

I have to side with the professor because his identity was verified before things escalated out of control. So the cop arrested him because of...........?

You can bet that when Professor Gates asked the cop for his name and badge number it pissed him off and probably escalated from there. Both men had the opportunity to control the situation but chose to let their egos get out of control. I hardly doubt that Professor Gates would have kept yelling for the officer to give him his badge# if the cop actualy gave it to him. That does not make sense to me.

The officer has a great record, but that doesn't mean that he is not capable of making a mistake.

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Winton

I, too, do not know all the details. Nevertheless, police have a long list of standard operating procedures they must follow because, just ONE slip up and whatever the case might be, will be thrown out of court. Whenever I am stopped for an alcohol breath test (I work on a military base) I gladly participate because even though I am totally sober, I do understand a greater good is being accomplished. Even though the professor did NOTHING wrong, going along with the officer as he's following procedures is all that is needed.

15. Tonya, Bloomfield, CT

KUDOS! To the Principal of Capitol Prep School. With a promise of 100% of the graduating class attending college, that's not only a local success that's a national success in today's school's.
    Hartford, CT is "A Rising Star"

16. Kathryn Robins

Anderson, I think what is happening with the children in Harlem is wonderful and very encouraging. But I am curious, when is our nation going to not only put their efforts into "fixing" the children of today in order to build a better tomorrow, and start educating and "fixing" the parents who are raising these children. I am a fourth grade teacher at an "under-privileged" school and all too often the pressure to succeed is put on the students and the teachers instead of the parents of these children. When are we going to wake up and fix the real problem???

17. Lori, IL

Okay - I'm a Chicago Cubs' fan, but hats off to the Chicago White Sox today!!

About that time - so Goodnight, Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

Enjoyed the chat tonight -

Hope everyone has a good weekend .... until Monday, peace......

18. Darren

Why anyone ever decides to become a police officer, I don't know. If you don't react strongly enough; you or someone else can get killed. If you react strongly; the victim will accuse you of abuse or racist or any number of things. Police can't win. But, the minute any of us feels wronged... then we all demand "Where were the police!"

I won't be signing up for the Police Academy.

19. Rita

If in fact what I know from the media is true about Dr Murray and propofol is true, no doubt, things look pretty bleak for him. As an RN who works with this drug on a daily bases in an intensive care unit, I can attest to the fact that it has absolutely no place outside of the proper clinical setting...Shame on Dr Murray.
    Now...let's look at those who really "pulled the plug!" Michael Jackson's accusers! Those who filed bogus child molestation charges in the past. Personally, I hold them just as responsible! I truly believe this was the beginning of the end! Let's hold them accountable for their actions that likely led Michael to feel the need to escape. What a great loss to the world! I hope the money gained on their part was worth destroying a beloved entertainer's life. May the faces of his children haunt them nightly...maybe they will suffer from a little insomnia now. Maybe someone can pass Dr Murray's bussiness card to them!

20. Zakeya

How can this lady be taken seriously if she doesn't pursue criminal charges against Roethesberger?

21. Nelda

Based on the reports by CNN, Prof Gates probably should not have been arrested, but he was. Had he been a white professor, he likely would not have been arrested. Was there racila profiling? We don"'t know. But, Prof. Gates was clearly guilty of being a black man in Harvard Square. Need I say more?

22. Deborah

I'm sickened by the comments about the lack of participation by parents. The parents want their children to have a great education but they aren't investing in the school system. I think the parents should sign an agreement to volunteer so many hours per school year and if they don't meet the requirements, their children should be withdrawn from the program. It's all about accountability.

23. Herby Head

I'm a Black retired NYC Detective and as soon as I heard of Professor Gates' arrest, I knew in my heart and experience that Mr. Gates immediately accused and insulted the police officer as a "racist cop," initiating heated dialogue between he and the officer. Mr. Gates was not arrested because he is black. He was arrested because of his arrogant, nasty attitude, big mouth and chip on his shoulder. Just because he is a highly regarded scholar does not mean that he is a nice man. I think he is a racist as well. Racism is a two edge sword, all black people and all white cops are not bad.

24. John O.

If a white cop come to my house I will cooperate fully with him and identify myself but will not step an inch out of my own house unless a warrant of arrest is produced, period!

25. LisaL - Canada

heck of a catch! very very impressive!

26. Isabel • Brazil •

The bias exists. That is a fact – unfortunately. He has to be overcome.

27. Sherri

Though, I do feel that the situation with Harvard Professor Gates clearly got out of hand. However, if we truly look at race relations in America with regard to blacks and the police, anybody with a modicum of common sense will know that being black in America has its disproportionate amount of unfair circumstances. Yes, we have a black family in the white house but we still have race relations problems in America.

If you have been through the kinds of horrific things that blacks have had to endure, then it seems understandable that this highly educated man would be irate at being accused of breaking into his own home, after someone in that neighborhood immediately assuming he was a burglar in their neighborhood. Take a step into his world before you have an opinion.

July 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Walt - FL

This was NOT racial profiling in any sense. The police were called to the scene. They did not just happen to be driving by and see a black man on his porch and say " hey let's go pick on this guy."

Furthermore, its not racial profiling, its "criminal" profiling. It what keeps our country safe and secure.

July 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Lauren--NY

My sincerest congratulations to Soledad O'Brien on another poignant and informative installment of the Black in America series. She's a favorite of mind and I'd never miss anything she does, but she really outdid herself by how good Part 2 was. I'm recommending the series to everyone I know. Well done, Soledad O'Brien & CNN.

(Hi, Anderson–didn't forget about you. Good to have you back home safe. 🙂 )

July 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  30. Edwin

In regards to the incident with the Professor and the police officer; it balls down to respecting authority. i believe the professor lost his kool and took it to a level that should not have gone. he should of fully cooperated with the police officer and once the officer would have checked that he was the owner of the house- then he should of appolized to him and the professor should of said" its ok sir, your only doing your job" I don't believe its always a BLACK thing. thanks Anderson- keep up the good work.

Edwin, gaithersburg, MD

31. Vivian

Gates` ego was hurt, so now he`s playing the race card. Nothing more nothing less.

32. Clark

Pleased to see the piece on the food choices in inner cities. I'm a black professional who used to live in Chelsea in Manhattan. I moved to Harlem and found produce in neighborhood grocery stores more expensive than Chelsea and of lesser quality, while the processed foods were cheaper and fast food joints abound! Thus, the obesity dilemma isn't quite so puzzling- it's a systemic problem. Sad.

33. Sherry, GA

I don't think this was about race but more so about an abuse of power. Sgt Crowley arrested Prof Gates because he verbally challenged the officer's motives. Last I heard this was a free country and there's nothing wrong with voicing your objection. None of the statements indicated that he was threatening bodily harm to the officer. Just probably hurt his feelings.

34. Deanna

Listening to Boyce 3-4 officers rush into my home looking for my son with guns drawn no search warrant or anything, when there was evedience that my son was in prison and had been there for over 6months, contacted NAACP they did nothing and didn't fine anything wrong with it there was nothing done to the cops.Sorry Anderson for being so long winded love your show.

35. Diane Haynes

I thought Soledad did an excellent job on Black in America2. I enjoyed both nights. it was 110% better that the first one.

36. khamsing

you know what??? the reason\mr gates is making a big deal is b/c he knows obama on a personal level.

37. Dianne

Re: professor profiled: am I missing something? Everything I've heard and read indicates that Gates was uncooperative , obnoxious and loud. Why didn't he just identify himself and show ID that he was the resident. Regardless of race he was arrested as he should have been for being disoderly and stupid. I don't believe anyone owes him an apology. Obama and everyone else should have all the facts before they comment. Gates was wrong and was treated like eveyone else who acts like he did. Race had nothing to do with it. I'm sick and tired of people playing the race card. I do believe racial profiling does happen, but not in this case. Gates should get over himself and move on. The officer should not apologize. He did nothing wrong. The mayor and police chief should not apologize either.

38. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It was inspiring to see the "shining eyes" of those highlighted in the BIA 2 special. I especially appreciated the focus on the children and the passion to enlightened their experiences. Thanks CNN and AC360 for focusing on this topic! Looking forward to the Latino special that Soledad will be doing....

39. Rithia F. Ford

No one has said, were Maranda Rights read to Dr. Gates?

I am a mother of a son and a daughter. Our son was taught to keep his hands in sight when stopped by a policeman or highway patrolman. In reaching to show the officer his registration, he is to state what he is going to do. It is not unusual for an officer to have a slight bend when asking with right hand near his gun with the left extended to get the registration . We taught our daughter to do the same with the addition, to roll her window down with only enough space to hear and pass the card to the officer especially in an area where there is dim or no lights. At all times they are to look for their name and a badge number. As long as I live, my grandchildren will be taught the same. NAACP is 100 years old. I am 63. My life experiences growing up in Virginia and living in rural North Carolina today dictates we must continue to inform our children. As long as we have civil rights violations, we must continue to nutrure and inform our children of how to live with dignity.

40. Kevin

Micheal Jackson's Doctor is now a suspect. No words can explain the shock I am in.

41. Ben

would he have yelled at a black cop? I don't think so

42. Angee

First in the case of the Professor Skip from Harvard and police officer the bottom line is race, and ego had a lot to do with this situation. When the Professor demanded that he wanted his badge and name, the police officer knew that he was upset. I believe he reacted to the Professor Skip telling him, ” You dont know who you are messing with” and then the police officer actions was to show him by arresting him. Depsite how you may feel about this situation the reality is all in perception. This officer may teach classes on racial profiling but it does not eliminate the fact that he reacted to the situation to show his authority to this black man. I know many people are not going to agree, but you know how often does a police officer approach you because you did something “right”. Why when the situation got heated that he did not allow another officer in to see if there could have been another reaction. See racial profiling deals with stereotypes and perception. Let’s face, we all have done a little profiling ourselves about other races especially African Americans and Latinos

43. MAG-ATL

Show your respect by calling him by his appropriate titile, that is Mr. President, President Obama or Commander-in-Chief.
    Yes, I agree with President Obama regarding the stand that he took on Professor Gates (not Gates, use appropriate titles). If you were black or brown (African or Hispanic) you will know how these groups have been disprportionately arrested and pulled over by the police. Until you are of African or Hispanci descent, you can not answer this question or offer your opinion. Anglos, please live in the life of a black or hispanic person for one day or better yet have a biracial child then you will find out how it feels for someone to be constantly harassed by the police.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Kmoore

Is it fair to blame Michael's recent doctor for his death or years of doctors, prescription drugs and other facts we don't know. And how much the doctor is getting paid is truly irrevelant. If he requested a certain amount and Michael accpeted then who's to say it was outrageous. I miss him 2 and undertsand it's easy to point the blame at one person but lets get the facts first.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  45. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Elliot, if you've been paying attention you'd know Gates was arrested outside his home not inside. The scene inside his home was legal, making the same scene outside was disorderly conduct. that's why he was arrested.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I was really impressed with Steve Perry. He is doing such a wonderful job at his school. He is benefitting not only the black community, but society as a whole.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Lillian

I want to live in Mr. Boyce's neighborhood, I have two boys ages 18 & 19 and I worry from the moment they leave home until the minute they walk back through the door. 90% of my worry is will they get stopped by the wrong police officer!
    I tell them "the police are not out to get you BUT, given the opportunty they will. I hate to say this but I always add "even without cause".
    Racial profilling is alive and very active in 2009.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  48. Larry B, Lake Worth Fla

As an educator myself, Mr. Canada is such an inspiration. It's good that Soledad's show doesn't just report on the negative, but also reports on the solutions. Here in South Fla. we are searching for solutions to close the educational gap for children of color. And Mr. Canada has highlighted an extremely important point- get the community involved.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  49. Lynn

Sounds to me like the officer, who was dispatched to "protect and serve", could not keep his professional bearing. After showing his ID, Gates should have thank the officers for responding to his home and the officer should have left. But seeing that he was being treated still as a suspect, I believe Gates went on the defensive, just like anyone of any race would. So, instead of adding more fuel to the fire the "Peace Keeker" should have been the bigger man, instead of bating him outside to arrest him.

As sad as it is race will alway be a problem in this country, because Americans are out for "self", and that leads to someone getting disrespected somehow.

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  50. stacy

I am so frustrated with the man who's talking about "overweight black kids in Harlem." What about the other races? Isn't overweight children an epidemic in this country – across all races? I didn't see any other races of children in his school. Does he allow them? As for the racial profiling in the Harvard professor, if he teaches about racial profiling, why wouldn't he have known to cooperate with the officers? I didn't hear you mention his statement, "I'll talk to your mama outside." We have an African American president now. We didn't "profile" him in our votes....sorry, not mine, I'm a republican....can't claim that "victory."

July 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |