July 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/23/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. 360's Randi Kaye has uncovered what authorities took from Jackson's doctor's office in Houston. We also have new insight on Jackson's last days.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Susan

Why do we keep hearing about LaToya going to the Jackson mansion to locate his cash and jewerly? Apparently LaToya and the Jackson family were right with their suspicions that someone would take it. Some on did! Who has more of a right to access personal items from a dead person? A bodyguard, caretaker, hangeron? How about the family. The Jackson don't always do things with the right intention but in this case, LaToya did the right thing. And by the way, where are these missing items and is the LAPD lookiing into this? Don't believe that Jackson was in debt. Your only as poor as you want people to believe.

July 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Dreama

Re: MJ... I'm up all night too does that make me weird? It's just my schedule. It's quiet, everyone's asleep, no one bothers me. Maybe that was the only time MJ could get any peace. Also there are tons of people "hooked" on E-Bay that' s not strange either.

Re: this Gates thing... just a shame that's all I can say. How do you justify the actions of that cop? And the fact that he won't apologize shows what an a$$ he is and that he's not sorry at all and probably will do it again.

I think that cop was embarrassed or he was angry that a black man had more than he did or makes more than he does.

BTW... I am a white female, 40 years old.

July 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Jacqueline, NY

I fear that my last landlord and other former landlord have done this to me. I just can't prove it.

July 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Jean

It's very interesting that this incident occured during the same time frame of the airing of Black in America...We may never find out what all was said, but we can use this as a reason to continue to attemp to close the racial gap....

July 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. callie, nashille, tn

I'm black. I can see both sides. Sometimes, both can be right, depending on their perspective. I don't think this is the correct time for them to show their stuborn.

July 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Patrice

It appears that the media is not covering all of the information in police report. We hear Prof. Gates side of the story, but I would like to know what prompted the arrest? What made Sgt. Jim Crowley said I should place him under arrest. That's what I want to know. And telling me that Prof. Gates rants and raves were sufficient is not an option.

July 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Lori

Erica, this is scary. I will never feel safe in a hotel again.

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Duane B., New York, New York

And to those people who say because Gates may have been yelling that was cause to arrest him - People, he was in his own home (the house he paid for, the home he lives in) and being accused of breaking into his own home, he had every right, if he chose, to raise his voice.

Raising your voice with a police officer in your home is not disorderly conduct.

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Terrence

In my opinion the actions of Michael Jackson are similar to other entertainers. Keeping cash in the home and ordering from E-Bay appear to be very normal activities to me.

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Ashley DePaso

I think that what happened with Professor Gates was wrong and could have been handled differently. I also believe that by President Obama reacting to what happened to his friend, was great! It was on the spot and it showed how he really felt about the situation.

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. KC, Nashville, TN

Very true Anderson. They are quite different. I was reading them on Monday..I am wondering why we're really having a big discussion about this now, when it should have taken place on Monday or Tuesday

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Pamela

With all of the mounting circumstances it is difficult not to have a conspiracy theory...this is the epitome of this wonderful performer being worth more dead than alive. It is so very hard to believe he really is gone, but I hope there will eventually be peace for the entire Jackson family-Joe included.

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Allen C.

If the Doctor was with MJ when he died, and got to Jacksons house in his car, why did'nt he leave in his car? and if he left in the ambulance with MJ, then why did he not return to get his car?

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, You might want to get someone to check out your hotel rooms from now on!

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. chantinell

@Toni-I am with you on that one. What is going on here?

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Kristen, MD

This story disgusts me. I feel for Erin Andrews. This is beyond disturbing. Creeps like this need jail time, I hope they find him.

July 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Aj "If the Proffesor was guilty then why where the charges dropped"

Because the black mayor of Cambridge said she wanted to make it go away.

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Minou, New York City

Can't they determine from the camera angle where the camera must have been placed?

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Diane Haynes

the reporter from Rolling Stone did not seem credible. Anyone can say "I had the sense that . . . . " That report just seemed ridiculous!

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. kiera

hello,is Dr.conrad murray going to prison 4 a life sentence???

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Get Real

Gates was out of bounds – Just playing the race card – Now he is looking for a pay day

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Cindy

Cameras are so small now..even with nanny cams..you can tape anyone doing anything. It is scary!!

Cindy..Ga.

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Mozell

If a police person writes a report does that make it true? We witness corruption daily. I realize they have a difficult job, but to be honest I think he is protecting himself, whats wrong with apologizing? Will it kill him? No pride goeth before the fall.

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Pete Faust

Why did it take so long for the cops to raid this doctor's office – giving
    him a month to clean out the place and destroy whatever evidence
    there might have been

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. sall

Personally, the professor's recollection of what had transpired is descridited. Remeber the police Officer can put on his report anything is he wants. So its always two sides to a story.

July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Renee

Oh, please this is borderline ridiculous that the President has gotten involved in a Breaking News story!

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Bsingh

I can't believe you guys are spending so much time on Michael Jackson vs. Health care debate. Media should play an important public role – this just doesn't make sense...

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  28. David

I am interested in knowing what prompted the person to call police on the Professor in Cambridge. And have they ever interacted with each other. I personally do not think the policeman believed he was profiling. But I do believe he reacted the way he did because of what he has been taught through his life. Which is also why the professor reacted in the manner in which he did. He was probably really shocked that he has all of those accomplishments and received that type of treatment.

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Olive

As an African American, I was initially alarmed when I first read the story, but after hearing more of the facts it looks like there was no racial profiling here at all. I think prof. Gates was either just paronoid or wanted to start a fire.

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Jim M

Question: There was an address number "17" on the property where the Gates situation took place. If this is 17 Ware, Cambridge, MA, it is a rental property owned by Harvard and rentable by "faculty, graduate students and employees." The property is surrounded by other Harvard Univertsity facilities and residences.

If this is the location, perhaps this is the reason fro the "911" call indicating a suspicious person on University property.

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Zainab

The police gentleman was wrong in his actions,he shouldnt have arrested Dr Gates.he should have walked away.his arrogant posture now is in bad taste.

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. mark staten

I felt such a wonderful rush of pride looking at Black in America! Great Job CNN ty solodad!! you rock!

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Harriet Dallas, TX via Jackson, MS

Police have the power! And these laws/acts the the govt is initiating will lead to an invasion of all of our rights, privacy, priviledges, etc...

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Here's a thought. If Michael Jackson ordered items regularly on eBay, do you suppose that was a way to be connected to the "outside" world...interacting on-line with sellers and receiving acknowledgement of his existence, of sorts, when he recieved packages?

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

It's pretty clear that Michael Jackson was not a well man physically or mentally. Sounds like he had numerous health problems and addiction problems. I do think Dr. Murray will probably be charged but he is most certainly not the only doctor to have acted in a negligent or even criminal manner with Jackson. This does shed light on a very important issue in our country which may finally get the attention it deserves.

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

Another thing - why is it so bizarre that Michael Jackson liked Ebay? So what? It was his money. I'm glad he spent so much of it. Less money for everyone to fight over right now. The manner by which the media is picking apart every area of Michael's life is repulsive. He couldn't get any peace in life. He's dead now. What more do you want?

July 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. E. Rowe

I have seen young white men stopped by the police, and they literally cussed at the police for stoppiing them and they didn't take them to jail in handcuffs or any other way, they gave them a warning and went on their merry way. If it had been a black young man he probably would have been dragged from his car and beaten by these same police.
    Where is the Justice for all.

38. noella

A police oficer's job is to protect and serve. Many cops unfortunately think they are god and are racists. That is a fact...President Obama responded to the question by the Chicago reporter and he pointed to the study done in Chicago when he was a senator. There have been 3 cases in the news recently where cops have acted overzealously. The Texas case where a footballer was driving his wife to see her dying mom and was threatened with arrest when the driver explained situation; ambulance driver with a heart attack patient in back, again a white cop is seen on tape with his hand under his driver's neck. These made the news, many more do not make news. Could the cop have verified Gates right to be in house by calling harvard and also checking driver's license. He wanted to show his power and this is what happens with many cops. I was involved in an accident in NY a few years ago and the police asked me to recant my story 3 times. I finally realized that he was trying to trip and wrote his badge # and name; people who have'nt experienced negative exchanges with the police will never understand the outrage you feel; I guarantee that if Gates had been a white man the outcome would have difrferent. I am sure of it. Along with guns police need empathy training, and need to understand that all blacks are'nt ignorant . We are not a monolithic group, we are represented in all professions and they never really know who they are encountering. So many stories out there about police.

39. Vanessa TX

Good Evening Anderson, Erica..smartees..& a Happy Birthday to Presley

I agree w/ Anderson, the panelist who was w/ Roland shed some light on the police point of view..I don't think we've gotten the full story..hoping more info comes out of this issue before we start accusing..

40. Bonnie

You know the "Golden Rule" never seems to let you down–too bad Dr. Gates didn't treat the Officer as he would like to be treated. Common courtsey won't let you down–screaming and shouting never ends well.

41. Diana

Anderson,

I feel that both Dr. Gates and Sgt Crowley need to apologize to one another. As a former Police Officer I can tell you that this clearly was a case of who's ego is bigger. Not about the color of skin.

Dr. Gates was offended because he's DR. Gates, Sgt. Crowley was offended because he's SGT. CROWLEY who has ARREST POWERS.

Once Sgt. Crowley ran Dr. Gates information to confirm that he was who he was, and that he had no warrants, he should have vacated Dr. Gates home. But because Sgt. Crowley was being spoken to in a manner in which he did not appreciate, Sgt. Crowley was offended, and decided to show Dr. Gates whose credentials carried more weight.

Dr. Gates should have surrended his identification and had nothing else to say once it had been cleared.

END OF STORY, NOT THE BEGINNING OF MORE SPEECHES ON RACE RELATIONS!

Diana, SC

42. wayne in houston

i think the truth lies truely within those two gentelmen conversation i wish people around the world realize were all the same (human).and how we all could help the world if we came together.Ex.( just as if it was coumminty tragic or what have ).

43. Ray

The media needs to mind their own business as far as the death of Michael Jackson.

44. Danielle

Something needs to be done about police officers conduct on the job. Unions are quick to back the officers talking about they followed procedure wow maybe we need to start looking at procedures.

45. Abby

Are there rules regarding when and where in the home environment a homeowner can be handcuffed and arrested? Is making what is interpreted as a "smart" remark to a policeman reason for arrest? Sounds like Professor Gates had identified himself fully by the time he was handcuffed and arrested.

46. Roland

If a situation should ever arise where you have to break in your home, it should be your right to do so. If you own the property and can produce ID that proves that you live there, then the police should have no cause to arrest you. It would be the same as if someone had to break in there car on the street. If the police saw you breaking in your car they would ask you to prove ownership for the car and then assist you with breaking in your car.

47. Philoan Tran - Houston

As someone who has done multi-cultural and diversity training to police cadets, it was very interesting to learn that some officers have never been around other minority groups and even know that much about the other minority groups. What Cambridge police department needs is a multi-cultural and diversity training for all of their police officers!

48. John

No person in the USA has the right to hide their identity under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the USA... Therefore, if the situation was reversed,.... i.e. (and not in regards to race, gendre , marital status, sexual orientation,or any of the other categories normally considered) How would the officer have the time to responsibly determine if the person he was interviewing was the Intruder to a location that was called in as Suspicious ? or the non suspicious Owner who was resistant ....or gave the officer a difficult time in proving his Voracity/ownership and or / Identitiy at the time of the Reported Intrusion ???? Confusing ? What if the COP let the Intruder go freely and hte houme had been violated ???? Try being a COP for 25 years !

49. Tori

The officer was in Dr. Gates house! Once Dr. Gates provided identification, then the officer should have LEFTED! Case closed! I'm quite sure this wasn't the first time this officer had been yelled at and it will not be the last time either. The officer took an "oath" to protect and serve, not to harass. BTW, look for pictures. Most people have a photograph of themselves.

50. Allan

Could Dr. Gates or Roland S. Martin give us just one example of an arrest of a black citizen by a white officer that could not be considered racial profiling?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15