July 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/23/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the Michael Jackson death investigation. 360's Randi Kaye has uncovered what authorities took from Jackson's doctor's office in Houston. We also have new insight on Jackson's last days.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jon

Why is it that everytime something happens too or within the black community that it does not like it turns into a racist act or situation? I am young white american that has friends of all races or ethnic backgrounds and I have personally felt in numerous situations that other ethnic groups have commited racist comments or acts towards me or to my family, and towards other white families, but you dont see white people running to the media to start something over a normal thing that happens in todays society. All (Ethnic Groups) , White, Black, Asian, Spanish, Mexican, Latino, etc. experience some form of racist act towards themselves but they dont have to be advertised through the media to point fingers at a certain race as in the wrong. It takes two to tango, It takes two people to argue, It takes two peoples difference to make a wrong. Please STOP the non-since, there are many wealthy high level, political, and executive african americans, so slavery days are far from over, So why do we all have to still pay for something that was out of our controll today.

July 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"It always seem to me; somebody is watching me", comes to mind.

July 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Ashley

Conrad Murray can't go to work because of the media....this seems unreal, he is so concerned with seeing patients now, but if you think about it if MJ was alive he would be overseas currently so he would not be seeing patients either way

July 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. vernon

small historical fact 1(not maming it) drug + 3 more cause deadly shock but fade away before autopsy

sadly i think that is what happened

July 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. charles lipsey

Prof VS Cop: U know if the prof & neighbors knew each other & came over to verify each other this would have never happen. Right. Its funny that people ,now, dont even know who lives besides them, infront or behind their houses. IF this would have happened then this could have been solved qujickly.

July 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Marcia

I believe president Obama should have known all the facts before making a comment.

July 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Martina Ilstad Germany

I am so sorry for Micheal J.What happened with him?

July 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Vivian

I think racial profiling and racism is such a sensitive issue for african americans that under the circumstances in which the arrest of Gates were made, a lot of people can automatically jump to assumptions.

July 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Jayvon

Im very skeptical about everyone who was around MJ. At the same time i wonder why no one ever told him to seek professional therapy. BTW, Anderson have you ever tried to moonwalk?

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Gennifer

Jackson may have been paranoid; but the people definately did not have his best interest at heart,,,

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  11. RONALD L. WASHINGTON

I am a retired attorney at law. During the years I sued poiice officer for violations of rights and I also defended them when accuse. We must look at the facts carefully before deciding he was wrong. It certainly looks bad since Gates was clearly in his own home. If he got belligerent, which is likely the case, it would generally not justify his arrest in his own home.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  12. chantinell

@Mike, Syr.-the man was IN his home he was arrested on his porch following Crowly out asking for his badge number. That's a big difference then just saying he was outside.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Antoine

The arrest of someone in their own home for disorderly conduct is absurd. Who was being disturbed by Mr. Gates? The officer and the arrestee could have avoided the whole incident by exercising restraint, and common courtesy.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Concerned citizen

This is to Boyce Watkins: I totally disagree with your statement that beause the Police Union supports the cop who arrested Dr. Gates, his report is accurate. You should know better if you claim that you fight against racial profiling of blacks. It's well documented the police cover up for one another. It's rarel that they will snitch on each other. You have no facts to backup your arguement when your appeared on AC360 tonight . Maybe you just wanted publicity.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. CHELLE

why is gates not upset with the reporting party that stated he was breaking into the house, if it was a neighbor and he is so famous shouldn't they have known who gates was and never called the police reporting a felony crime in progress???

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Darrell Stewart

In america we glorify the death of celebrities to the point of no return, instead of directing the attention to the tragedy of the circumstance. Why not open the publics eyes on ways to get out from under the mental and physical abuses of drugs. We as a people have to stop making the death of celebrities acceptable.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Heinz J.

Yes the officer was during his job, but from what i learned as a resident of MA, you have the right to ask an officer for his badge number. Dr. Gates was just being a citizen that knew his rights.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Lori, IL

@Anderson - I'm not surprised the two reports show very different perspectives. Considering the age of Prof. Gates and the years of racial descimination in this country that are part of his history, I'm not surprised he would see the situation differently than a white police officer - we all bring our past experiences (it's what makes us who we are) to current situations.

July 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Christine

I understand "racial profiling" is a real issue, however, I don't care if Prof. Gates is White, Yellow, or Black or Brown – Once he showed the officer proof of address, what reason could there possibly be to arrest a man in his own home. Was the officer pushing his power & weight around in an effort to say "I'll show you who's boss & in control here"??

20. Ingrid B

Michael was a Virgo they are perfectionist and very competitive...he was a consumate performer . Entertainers usaul have Dual Personalities

21. Michelle

I agree with Joe. No one would like being arrested in thier own home . Boyce stated that he spoke to other police officers and because of possible restraining orders police need to use caution. If that was the officer's concern he could have easliy checked.

22. donna

TIm-the president is a human being first.

23. Fred Akahomen

Hi Everyone,

On this issue with Pofessor Gates and the Police Let us give peace a chance.

Thanks and may God bless you all.

24. Nicole S. -- North Carolina

AEG is ridiculous, and now they want to be copied on all court filings regarding Michael's estate. Why is that? Plain and simple - for some reason they felt they owned him.

25. Connie Mitchell

Thanks for reporting both sides of this unfortunate story. I choose to believe it was not race related, but the police responding to a suspect who was not behaving submissive enough...

26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Serena, if there is a crime in progress police don't need a warrant. The WAS a break-in. Crowley had to verify the situation. No one is claiming he entered illegally.

27. coco

Hi I am a 24 yr. old female I agree on both ends that the police have certain procedures they must follow ,but on the other hand black people in america still face racial issues today. one of the problems is that policeman talk to you how they want with no respect not all but most of them. I have witnessed it my self with others and my husband just had a incident last week where we live where race was a factor

28. prophert B. L. Sherman

what the hell do the man have to show to allow the police to know that you not in trouble with the law. i thought your driver license was the way that the police could find out what they want.

29. Kim

Prof Gates did not give his ID right away, according to reports, and became very belligerent outside his home, which is corroborated by witness statements. I, for one, would be grateful for the quick response by the police if my home were being broken into. If this had been an African American police officer arresting a white professor, would there be this much outrage? Would that also be construed as racist by that officer? I think not.

30. Bill

I read that the Harvard professor was renting the house he was at from Harvard. Therefore, any ID that he had, might not have had the correct address on it. Maybe this was a source of confusion..

31. Kathleen from WV

I am a 70 year old black female retired teacher. I have personally had it happen to me and have witnessed it happen to other blacks; police filing reports to make it appear they followed the law and we had not! I have seen white suspects treated with respect in similar situations where black were assumed guilty! How much would it have taken to call the neighbor who made the phone call to verify Gates position?

32. andrea

This situation about the professor's arrest is very unfortunate, however the remark "we should not use this as the poster for racial profiling" is a bit absurd. The fact is that if it had not been someone like the professor it would not have received the coverage. Would you really be having this debate for me? I don't think so.

33. mickey

does Harvard own the house because then Gates does have some explaining–not advancing a platform–he has given too many interviews and if the police have that incident on tape–it mught not look good

34. Addie Cleveland ohio

The police officer taught a class but did he understand it. You cann't understand being black in american unless you are black in american. President Obama is a black american he gets it.

35. Duane B., New York, New York

Anderson,

Roland made an excellent point. Just because there is a police report does not mean that the report is accurate. I have the greatest respect for police officers and the difficult job they have, but I also know they make mistakes and a police report is not fact just because its a police report.

36. Minou, New York City

Maybe LaToya was sent by the family to find those bags? Let's not judger her before the truth is known.

37. Hector

Ok, I am a bit tired of hearing about racial profiling. How about the best part of this incident, a neighbor saw something out of the ordinary and called 911, police responded. Crowley should feel thankful that he has such kind neighbors to be watching out for his house and maybe get involved more with his community in order for his neighbors to recognize him in front of his own home.

38. Shelly

Do me a favor and think about the person you love the absolute most in this world. How would you REALLY feel if they were ARRESTED in their home? Would you react “calmly” and”objectively”? Would your loved one deserve an apology???

39. Desmond

Although we are unware of what truly took place inside of the house, what we do know is that Prof. Gates felt violated and was, perhaps justifiably, visibly unsettled. Additionally, we also know that a police officer failed to relinquish his badge number which he is obligated to provide upon request. It seem to me that both men overreacted. The question now is this -Who defines disorderly conduct and what are the parameters?-

40. Leslie

The officer in teaching his cultural diversity classes should have included the ability to take the high road and apologize.

41. Heather - Spokane, WA

From the sound of Michael Jackson's paranoia, I think he may have been on something stronger than his regular drugs......

42. Cheryl

Anderson,
    Perfect last question to your guest. Once it was determined that
    Prof. Gates was in his home and no crime had been committed...why didn't the police leave? I find it ironic that your police expert guest had no answers for a real common sense question?

43. Daramola O

Hello Anderson, As much as I will like to appreciate the officer for responding to the call, I would have imagine that having ascertained that the Professor was the rightful owner of the house, reason would have prevailed on his part irrespective of provocation. Cops are trained to tolerate and protect the citizenry and not to harass them, the action of the officer in arresting the Professor was not too good

44. Del

I think that Dr. Gates should be indignant that his occurred. But I believe that there is a bigger issue at hand. Invasion of privacy. Now ALL of Dr. Gates's most privately held form of identification ( his fingerprints) are now in a police database as a suspect. I am sure that up until his arrest by the Cambridge police Dr. Gates was impressed with the fact that as a "Black" American male he did not exist in this deatabase. Most "Black" American men can say this... It may be a conspiracy to get the black male population in this database ....

45. Freda

if the prof's actions were so outlandish then why did the officer wait until the prof stepped out of his home to arrest him? id was produced, as asked by the officer, then the officer should have left the home. seems like the officer had the hot head

46. Tim Davidson

@ Cindy and Mike, He was still on "his" property...:-(

47. Cindy

Can we PLEASE move on from this MJ stuff? PLEASE! Leave this to TMZ!!

Cindy..Ga.

48. Denise Rivera

When is this going to stop !!! when we have a race war .Why is it that now in NYC to qualify to become a ploice officer you need collage credits? At one time all you had to have was a high school education and back then you and less killing by the police.

49. R.Ferguson

Anderson, I too see your point....however, logically speaking, what was Gates purpose of repeatedly yelling at the officer. This is an intelligent, well respected, highly popular man, of whom I'm sure rationally could have handled this is situation respectfully and with a much better demeanor, had his tone been more controlled.
    As Charlie Brown would say...... Aaaaaugh!!!

50. shaundra, savannah ga

I watched both parts of black in america, and it really discouraged me as a black woman. Yes, we can shine a light on some of the issues facing black men, and the black family, but when are we going to get to the point of being "outraged" by the barriers that prevent them from being able to gain access to the same America that whites, indians, and asians enjoy daily. We need to find solutions...we know the problems.

July 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |