July 23rd, 2009

Documents: Full police report for Harvard scholar Gates Jr.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/07/23/gates.arrest.mayor/art.gates.cnn.jpg
caption="Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. says he and his attorneys are considering further actions."]
Editor's Note: Posted below is the full police report for Harvard University Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. from WCVB TV in Boston. For more on the fallout from his arrest, including what his arresting officer is now saying, and the current state of race relations in this country, tune in to AC360° tonight at 10p ET.

Click here to read the full police report.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Documents
  1. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Thank you Rick Martinez! I agree. I'll certainly think twice before calling the police when and if I see anything suspicious going on at a neighbor's residence. Mr. Gates should be ashamed! The officer was just doing his job. There were obviously other residents around that needed to make sure that all was well. You should be thankful for that neighbor and the officer's quick response.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  2. Brad

@Mike: I have been personally lied to by several police officers on different occasions. I've experienced incorrect procedures and bad information in police reports. I've been accused of doing something wrong when I have not. When I received a note on my car saying, "Your days are numbered, Jackass" the responding officer said it's not a threat because "Everyone's days are numbered" and asked why I was wasting their time.

Do you honestly think the scene went like the report says? It just doesn't make any sense at all! NO ONE acts like that.

July 23, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  3. Ann F (IL)

Greed and 15 minutes of fame- ONLY IN AMERICA!

July 23, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  4. dina

I think the neighbor was a student. The area looks like graduate dorms.

What COULD have happened? Knock Knock – Officer explains situation – Gates explains what happened – shows ID – officer leaves.

Or knock knock – officer explains situation – Gates asks for his credentials – Officer refuses – argument ensues?

That report is a lie, in my opinion.

July 23, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  5. RICK MARTINEZ

ok then..next time i see someone breaking into my neighbors home i will asume it is him, if i am wrong oh well. police officers, next time you go into a house with a report of burglary, give the burglar your ID first...

first thing i would have done is thank my neighbor for their concern and then the officer for his service to my neighborhood.

but thats just me

July 23, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  6. Steven

One of the responsibilities of law enforcement officials is to attempt to disfuse situations before they escalate. This officer made the choice of NOT disfusing the situation with Professor Gates. After verifying Professor Gates was indeed the owner of the residence why did he not make the choice to leave. Let's just called it for what it is. Professor Gates voiced his displeasure over what he believed was police profiling and the officer choose to excert his displeasure over Professor Gates right as an American, not Black American, to question police treatment in his own home. Would this officer have done the same if he came into the home of a grey haired olderly white man, walking with a cane in Cambridge Mass? To the many white commentors, what if the Officer Crowley did the same to you in your home, how would you react? Now let's go one step further what if the officer were a blackman and he acted in the manner of Officer Crowley, how would you have reacted? Be honest. Racism is still alive and well in America.

July 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  7. dina

As the caller I wouldn't wait outside a would-be crime scene. Also, there was no basis to the allegations, they shouldn't have arrested him. The people who stopped did so because of the police commotion and maybe because he's a well know professor. He wasn't disturbing the peace. The Police were. In this day and age between the Professor and the police officers this scene should have been recorded. I'm iffy about the police report but in lieu of no recording, it will be based upon preponderance.

July 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  8. karen

What? Cops are infallible? They can't be questioned? Their version and acts can't be challenged? The folks who are blogging here about Gates deserving arrest for yelling and fussing should think twice about our so-called freedoms. Arrested for being indignant? Police authority must be so protected that they can't be spoken to without threat of arrest? When they come for you idiots, remember – Shush! You dare not speak.

July 23, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  9. turhonne

Just do some type of experiment to find out for yourself that racism still exist.

July 23, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This isn't one officer's word vs. Gates. The police report has a second statement of a second officer who arrived to see and hear the tirade. Gates clearly resisted arrest as well as was disorderly in public. It's a good arrest and the mayor, governor and President should be ashamed of their support of Gates purely on the basis of race.

Did any of you people commenting in favor of gates read the report? Local Boston radio is also reporting that one of the people on the street support the officer's version as well. How many witnesses do you need before you believe the officer?

@Brad, I think you have it wrong. The criminals are the liars, as should be obvious from Gates' lies.

July 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  11. turhonne

some people have Never been approached by an officer so they have no idea.

July 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  12. Tracie Chambers-Johnson

Why wasn't this elderly black man who was on the phone asked if he was alright, what if Mr. Gates had been robbed, and was on the phone trying to call the police. Why didn't dispatched informed the officer who's property it belong too, or did the officer just see the color of the man's skin, and why did it take the black officer to insist that this elederly man, be handcuffed in the front due to his disablity. Just picture yourself entering your home and a concered citizen has the police come to your house, and arrest you......I forgot you are a White person in the USA. So this wouldn't happen to you.

July 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  13. turhonne

the officer was embarrassed, which makes him human not a God who does no wrong. He did not act appropriately when he was informed or Gates residence.

July 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  14. alex lyrics

Thank god Professor Gates take them to court , and make them pay. A good lawyer once told me the only apology you are going to receive is in the form of a dollar sign$ , and that that is what civil law suits are all about making people pay for wrongs.

July 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  15. Tim

Do you think Obama and the Mayor of Cambridge would care if a white professor was arrested by a black officer? Why is Obama even getting involved in this?

To the officer: Do NOT apologize! Don’t let political correctness win!

July 23, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  16. samsart

If Prof. Gates had been white, and the arresting officer black- Gates screaming racial epithets would have resulted in the firestorm that would never die. Why did he refuse to provide ID? Why did he spiral into calling the officer a racist- without proof of such? why? Because he can. Why were the charges dropped? Because the environment of bending over backward to assuage every alleged criminal at the cost of political correctness took over.

It's more than a given that Prof. Gates will hound. persecute, try and convict in the court of public opinion every white officer in the local PD. Strange how he has not yet thrown the same charges to the the officers present- who are black. Prof. Gates is a respected member of the academic community- and what he showed was school yard temper tantrums. He's disgraced his own very hard won reputation.

And you wonder why officers- of any color- can function at all.

July 23, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  17. SandraWI

Mr. Gates showed the offier proof of residency and employment. The officer decided to keep take it to the streets. This should've ended without Mr. Gates arrest. He had every right to get angry for being falsely accused of being a criminal when he's standing in his own home and cooperation with the police. This is a case of ego on the officers side and he should just appoligize to Mr. Gates.

July 23, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  18. turhonne

the pictures should makes it clear what did happen. Gates is at the front door of his house with the handcuffs on, so therefor he was arrested exiting his home. Not in the front yard of his home as reported. police officer are just like you me they are human, they are for planet earth. racial profiling did play at part in this." Acting stupidly" and "Is stupid" is two different things. People need to realize BLACK MEN always get harassed just because they are black.

July 23, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  19. Anderson Cooper

Gates was arrested for “disorderly conduct” the officer did not arrest him for breaking & entering. Gates most likely was mouthing off to the officer & the officer did not want to take it any more. If it was a white guy mouthing off to the officer the same thing would happen.

I see in the picture that there are other officers (1 black officer)- what do they say?

This is why all officers need to have a microphone recorder.

If it was a black officer arresting him this would not be an issue.

July 23, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  20. Jen NY

I'm still not clear on how or why he was arrested inside or technically, just outside, his own home for disorderly conduct. Am interested in knowing if he was "tricked" to leave his home so could be arrested. On the other hand, I don't know how well he was cooperating with police.

If a neighbor I didn't know saw me trying to jimmy my way into my house, I'd want them to call the police. It seems like the situation could easily be cleared-up with some ID being shown.

July 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  21. Linda B., Ga.

My "biggest" problem with this situation is "the neighbor" that called it in......they didn't recognize Prof. Gates? How long have they been neighbors? This whole thing should not have happened. I do understand a call to the police "IF" the person trying to get into a house is not recognized...but pleasssssssssssse......

July 23, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  22. Jaye

I think the police report is bogus and the officer was wrong in arresting Prof Gates.

July 23, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  23. James Ratchford

I just wanted to say no one no how the Officer tread the Prof. Gates in side of his own home only they know.

After he found out that it was the Prof. Gates home he could have offer explaned why he was there, but he probly didn't and disrepected the Prof. Gates responed and the Officer couldn't not take it, and drew him out side while talking and then Prof. Gates was on his terms.

The Offers new what he was doing, because he knew that he couldn't do anything to the Prof. in his home!

Black people are very emotional and when something like this happen we do get excite, and most white people use it againts us, but yet they can act a fool.

July 23, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  24. Angela Savage Austin

My question is did Sgt. Crowley wanted to get Prof. Gates out of his home for his safety and if so after Prof. Gates verified his residency why then did the officer chose to turn and walk away as stated in his report ? Why didn't a search continue for the two men seen entering the home? Who was the person that called 911 or the police about breaking and entering? I would like to hear the tape called in on 911 and an interview with the person that called in....if there is such a person or tape? Again...what happen to the so-called two suspects?

July 23, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  25. Rev. Dr. Melvin L. Rose

We could solve many problems if we focus on right vs. wrong rather white vs. black. Race tends to put people on the defensive and as a result, the true issue is desolved rather than resolved. One begins to defend their concience rather than their actions. The best of us make poor decisions.
    So I guess the question is; should this (man) have been placed under arrest after finding out that he was the owner / occupant of the residence?

July 23, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  26. ATM

I think both parties are wrong. I felt both parties had their testosterone adrinaline working on high. It appears no compassion to communicate logically was not displayed by either parties. I am concerned with the neighbor who call in a possible break in. I am assuming Mr. Gates lived there for sometimes now.(years). The call had to come from an home very near to his house. You would think they would recognized their own neighbor.

I have neighbors who I do not socialize with either. They see me come and go from my house daily and I see them as well. I am black and I live in a black and white community. I live around black and white families. If it was during the day, If I was seen prying open a window to enter my house my neighbors would not call the police.
    Another scenario, my neighbors would call the police if I tried to pry open an window at night because they would not be able to recognized me.

July 23, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  27. Tim

To the officer: Do NOT apologize! Don't let political correctness win!

July 23, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  28. Lois

I wondered how long it would take before white and black problems start. None of us were there in Cambrige – how can you make a decision on who is right or wrong. The President is wrong to have made one comment on this – I voted for the President and have been behind him all the way, (I'm white) – but now I wonder what our President is all about??? This was a community problem and because of Prof. Gates he took full advantage of CNN TV and now it is a world problem. Thank you Prof. Gates.

July 23, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  29. Derekk Milan

Clearly, the officer set Gates up for an arrest.
    He knew he couldn't arrest Gates for being belligerent inside his own home, so he slyly maneuvered him outside, where he could be arrested.

The only reason Gates was disorderly -in a public place- was because he followed the officer's directive to step outside.

I bet it would be interesting to see people's headshots beside their comments.

July 23, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  30. Jeff

This is why all officers need to have a microphone recorder.

If it was a black officer arresting him this would not be an issue.

July 23, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  31. Dwayne James

First off I think, that President Obama have the right to say what he wants like any other american citizen. I do think this was aracist act, Because He had proved it was his house and the officer still had arrested him. For maybe a comment that Gates had said. If it was me i would had to the office to get out of my house when i should he my ID and there is nothing else for he to say.

July 23, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  32. Regina

The police were wrong and they need to apologize. End of story!!

July 23, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  33. June Boci

#1.... Kudo's to Kevin Minor
    # 2.... Chris E. First of all I am whiter than white ( she would need that out of the way) but you've got to be kidding if you think that all black men get pulled over because they were speeding. Do you live in the
    Hamptons...You know black is kinda like well the print on this page...but not exactly....

July 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm |