July 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/21/09

President Obama refuses to give up on health care reform. He claims Republicans are playing politics. Meantime, Democrats aren't all on the same page. Stuck in the middle: You and your family. We have the raw politics for you tonight. Plus, the bombshell revelation in the killing of the Florida couple who adopted 13 children with special needs.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Trish Gorham, Oakland

@Mike- I know what the trumped up charge was, but how is the charge justified? Being rude on your front porch? What impending danger to society did he pose? Having the authority should is not license to abuse authority.

July 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Steve - southern Illinois

Good night all. NIce show and blog!

July 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Eugenia - San Francisco

yeah John, it looks like a bakery!

July 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

okay sweet peeps, I'm off to the twittersphere! 😛

Have a wonderful nite and a swell Wednesday

July 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Cynthia, NC

The story about Erin Andrews is unbelievable! I hope the sick person who set-up that camera is caught and punished, along with those who posted the video on-line.

July 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Eugenia - San Francisco

In my opinion Troy Davis is innocent. The eyes, I'm telling you look at the pictures of Troy prior to the arrest and in the courtroom, they remain the same, calm. The other guy you can see in his head, that he is thinking: I'm I gonna get away with this. The views of the wife are understandable, she lost her husband, father to her babies.

July 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Ashley H, Canada

Ugh, can we NOT legalize pot? So what? You get more income, but it pollutes the air, and those people smoking it are slowly killing themselves, not to mention if someone's high and let's say they go to school, or work, or even drive while impaired. I think the bad out weighs the good.

July 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. sharon, sydney, ns

I am not a prude, but I don't think it should be legalized. There are already so many problems with drunk drivers etc. I know people drive high, but won't the problem escalate if the gov't says it's ok to use it? A lot of people won't compare it to getting drunk, they'll compare it to having a smoke. I may be way off, but like the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

July 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Sandra Robertson, GA

I pray Troy Davis will be vindicated someday and the actual murderer of Officer MacPhail be brought to justice. People who were there at the scene are not talking but they need to, for Davis' sake.

July 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. audrey

I don't care what the Health Care Bill costs! It's time to spend our hard earned tax dollars on something that will help the American public instead of everyone else. I support Obama on this bill. I am an independent voter, white and a senior citizen and I'm really tired of trying to pay my medical bills even with my medicare and partial ins.

July 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Dodie ~ California

If we legalize cannabis, that should impact the drug lords to some extent. Why give the drug lords the money instead of the state of Calif.

Alcohol is far more dangerous than Cannabis

July 21, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Pot should only be legalized in California....I already have to deal with hearing about Meth busts in my town, I don't want any more pot related accidents....

July 21, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Roy, Anniston, Alabama

I think they both should both come to an amicable solution.

I'm sure if you are questioned on your own property you would become irate also. Why didn't the officer ask neighbors in the community if they could identify the man.

On the other hand, if you are cop and receive a report as this one, how are you to know if its the property owner or burgular.

So in my opinion the other should give the other – the benefit of the doubt. We'll never move forward as a "human race" when something as trivial as this (and as you look at it and examine it, it is trivial) blown out of proportion

July 21, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Trish, the legitimate reason was disorderly conduct. Once Gates left his home and continued to be abusive that constitutes disorderly conduct. Police have a tough job and deal with the dredges of society. I give them the benefit of doubt in a he said/he said case.

July 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. johnkingcnn

great report there from gary tuchman .... fascinating questions ....

and cant say i have every seen a medical marijuana dispensary before ... a bit jarring to see it ... another interesting question.

July 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. audrey

The Troy Davis story – why does the district attorney's in cases like these refuse to reinvestigate? We all know they make mistakes and I sincerely believe they are trying to kill an innocent man simply because they refust to admit they made a mistake.

July 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. sharon, sydney, ns

I don't know how it works. Are other prescription drugs taxed in America?

July 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Hi John, you look great., a tax on pot would be the answer to a lot of money issues., it could help pay for health care, at the same time keeping all the republicans calm..

July 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Are we really still talking about legalizing pot? Can we just legalize it and move on with life?

July 21, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Suvro AC360°

Can America afford to make pot legal? We have a 360° special Friday night at 10p...dont miss it...

July 21, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Robert, San Diego Ca

Some things will never change no matter even if your a professor at a Ivy lead school. Im still waiting for the world to change.

July 21, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Dodie ~ California

Also, California and the Counties need to stop wasting millions of dollars.

July 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I live in California think that we are so in need of money, that the California's Govenor Arnold is thinking about this issue.

July 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Steve

i am almost sure that Mr. Gates looked like a robber. The police went way overboard, like they mostly do in these type of cases. Mr. Gates is lucky the officer did not used deadly force like an officer did in Indianapolis.

July 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Cristal from San Antonio, Texas

I want to see the police report!

July 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I would be very happy if my neighbors called the police if they saw anything suspicious at my home.I think the police were only doing their job.Mr.Gates should feel safer in his home knowing that people were looking out for him.He should relax.....

July 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Stacy

Great piece from Gary, as always.

July 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Marisa

Gates is lucky the cop, black or white, even let him prove he lived there instead of immediately arresting him and figuring it out later. And if cops hadn't responded to the call and it was a legitimate break in-then he would have said it was because he was black. Its a lose – lose situation.

July 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

there has to be some way to get this case opened in a different state so other people can see with blind eyes the facts to either free him or send him to death row....

July 21, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. starr formerly known as vincent

Survo AC360

We are looking forward to Solidad Obrien's new special.

In fact, we are looking forward to the whole line up tomorrow night.

@Bea, really grounded remarks that make sense.

July 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Police harrassments, to the witnesses. Interfering with the courts!

July 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Paula/Texas

Hang in there Obama...we need help on health care NOW, not later.

July 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Michael

I am a white male. I was arrested on a college campus and charged with disorderly conduct. My crime, blocking the flow of traffic on a street with no traffic. I was ultimately charged with disorderly conduct.

The black guy who was arrested in his house is outrageous. But is it about race? I was arrested and charged by a white officer. If you read the police report. I was definitely guilty. However it was all made up. I 'm sure the same thing happened here.

There are lots of great police officers. I've met them. But unfortunately, there are some ones that get out of line too like this one.

July 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Trish Gorham, Oakland

Arrogance is not illegal. Attitude is not illegal. Giving lip is not illegal. Strong language is not illegal. There was NO LEGITIMATE reason to arrest him.

July 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. ericacnn

Fascinating and disturbing story from Gary.

July 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. sharon, sydney, ns

Suvro AC360
    This story about Prof Gates is surely proof that shows like Black in America need to exist. As a white female, I am looking forward to seeing it. The first one was great. I expect the same from this one.

July 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Tam

I have seen both black and white cops treat black men as criminals. Many black officers are no longer black while in uniform, rather they are BLUE and they follow the rules, procedures and culture of the men of Blue. I believe that cops are there to serve and protect and they do and they are awesome to risk they're lives but some take there power over others too far.

July 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Cases like Troy Davis' reminds me why people sit on death row for so long. Kinda sad his time is running out.

July 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

What happened to "Equal Justice under Law"?

July 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Gary Tuchman, always has a great report! This story is an example as to why I don't agree with capital punishment. It may not happen that often but it does happen....sometimes you get the wrong person and I'd hate to think what happens when its too late to correct the mistake.

July 21, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  41. bea

Once it was clear he owned the property, Gates could have told him now get the heck off my property. We don't live in the Soviet Union. A person's house is their castle. If a person could get arrested for shooting off your mouth.half this blog woudl be in jail.

July 21, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Suvro AC360°

Black in America 2 airs tomorrow night at 9p ET. Who's excited???

July 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Willie O Endsley Sr

John the officer is out of line once he saw Bates drivers license and was inside the house he should have apolojized and left since it appears Bates was cooperative enough to show the officer the driver's license

July 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Tam

The police officers should go home and be arrested. That would be justice.

July 21, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Dodie ~ California

Good question John! Since I am from the Broke State... And would prefer not to have my property taxes raised anymore, I would agree with Taxing and Legalizing Cannabis!

My vote is a Yes!

July 21, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. James Lewis

Nobody has yet mentioned something very obvious: One of the cops is African American. Do you think he is going to just shut up and look the other way if this is really about race? Gimme me a break. Jim

July 21, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Tim, great point. I bet Gates' attitude would have been 180 degrees different with a black cop.

July 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Theresa, Des Moines

I appreciate the discussion on health care reform. The current system is in a sad state. Not sure what the exact solution is. Hopefully, our elected officials can legislate something that works better and helps more people.

July 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Steve - southern Illinois

In that Gates thing it sounds like both sides could have handled themself better. Where's a video camera when you need one?

July 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Isabel • Brazil •

If professor Henry Louis Gates were a white man, the police have acted differently? Who knows!

July 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |