July 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/21/09

President Obama refuses to give up on health care reform. He claims Republicans are playing politics. Meantime, Democrats aren't all on the same page. Stuck in the middle: You and your family. We have the raw politics for you tonight. Plus, the bombshell revelation in the killing of the Florida couple who adopted 13 children with special needs.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Tim

The cop shouldn't apologize, GATES should apologize!

July 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. bea

I think the Gates discussion misses the point by focusing on sensitivity. The point is after the id was shown the cop should have left. It may be wrong to be rude to an officer in your own home but it is not illegal. First amendment. That officer should be disciplined but I suspect a good lawsuit is coming.

July 21, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Sensitivity isn't the issue. If there's a potential crime in progress you need to respond. There WAS a break in. Even Gates lawyer admits Gates used strong language. The only injustice was that charges were dropped.

July 21, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Dodie ~ California

Wonderful interview John! Great questions

July 21, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Tim

Maybe the professor was just being arrogant. Did anyone think of that? if he just had cooperated nothing would have happened. If a cop asks me for ID, I give it to him WITHOUT an attitude. What would he have said if a BLACK officer did the SAME thing?

July 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. pebbles, manila philippines

Hi Erica, welcome back! We all missed you. I just want to wish you a belated Happy Birthday. Hope you had a great day yesterday.

July 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. johnkingcnn

how about this for a small world moment: i was in california earlier this month and passed chief davis - on the show tonight about racial profiling and the cambridge incident - in the oakland airport.

July 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Vickie_AR

I think the spokesperson's description was correct. Two hotheads that clashed, and it got out of hand. No profiling occurred, because the officer was responding to a burglary call.

July 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  9. sharon, sydney, ns

Wendy Ontario, Canada
    I totally agree with you. The man needs time.

July 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Here in San Bernardino, Calif we have the same problems, with raicalism.

July 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Isabel • Brazil •

@ David, Indiana

I hope you are right!... the American health system is quite complicated for me to understand, but any health is something that all people must have access. I hope the problems are solved.

I felt lack of debate yesterday. My son was sick and could not be here.

July 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Erica!!!
    You're welcome!!! I am glad you had blast time last night for your birthday! yay!

July 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I believe the cop not gates. If Gates is supposed to be a scholar his brain was evidently on sabbatical. You always follow directions of the police and you never give them lip.

July 21, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. starr formerly known as vincent

We (friends & family) are pretty upset about the situation with Prof. Gates.

He was in is own home! The officer knew that if he got him outside, he could arrest him.

We don't think this was just a misunderstanding.

July 21, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Trish Gorham, Oakland

Absolutely no one should question the illegitimacy of the arrest. Neither version justifies this abuse. Joe Johns does another fine job of reporting the facts without fanning the fire.

July 21, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. don

The incident with Dr. Gates was clearly profiling. Once he acknowledged ownership&id an apology was necessary.

July 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

I can't get over what has happened to the Billings. All over some money in a safe? Sherriff sounds like he is in the middle of a completely serious investigation.

July 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  18. starr formerly known as vincent

David, Indiana,

Thank you for your optimism, i really hope you are right about just a stall for the healthcare bill.

You are also right, it is a very important issue "with long term impact"!

There's no question that with 60% of Bankrupcies being a result of medical problems.

July 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  19. LorenaR

@rose from muscoy CA , agree with you. health care reform or health care action is important, we can't sit around and do nothing. so many bankruptcies have resulted from high health care costs.

July 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Wendy Ontario, Canada

Wow, I can't believe how quickly people are complaining about Obama! He has only been President for 6 months, has likely faced more difficult issues then any President in history! The economy can't be fixed over night, health care has been a problem for years & he is dealing with wars on top of all that. People need to sit back & give the man a chance.

July 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. ericacnn

Thanks for the Bday wishes (yes, it was yesterday) and a HUGE thanks to Kevin for saving me with some water during that news hit! A tickle hit my throat out of nowhere just as John tossed to me... ugh.

July 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Carolyn, VA

Just like old times. Big money, Insurance companys keeping the status quote. If Obama loses this fight on health reform then so do we...once again. Tell it like it is and expose those who are really keeping us from getting health care passed. Do your Job and report the wealthy CEO's ....follow the money. Speak the truth.

July 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Lori from IL

John King - enjoying you in the anchor chair tonight - and I agree, the Florida murder case seems to get more interesting every day - I had a feeling there was a large sum of money (or drugs) involved for that many people to be involved in a home robbery - will be interesting to see all that comes out duuring the trail.....

July 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. alice

Everyone is talking about taxes paying for health care insurance but no one is talking about the premiums going towards health care plan.

July 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Donald

Ditto to Janine from PA. As soon as the politicians (and I guess the federal employees) are on the same plan as us regular people, I might listen!

July 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Em. Utah

Erica hope you had a great birthday, we sent you a peice of cake...

July 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I agree, John, the story is crazy and it doesn't seem to get any less crazy the more we hear about it and the more that is uncovered....I'm really impressed and glad that CNN has gotten so much air time with the Sheriff...

July 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

Evening John King, Erica? Isabel, everyone.

I don’t think hopes are fading for health care, I think the plan is stalled or now being worked on as the President and Congress get down to serious work. This won’t go through like the stimulus. This is important legislation with long term impact. It’s worth taking the time to do it right.

July 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  29. sharon, sydney, ns

Man, that Billing's case is messed up. I don't get why none of the suspects has talked yet. How can the motive be that hard to figure out? I know the police are doing everything they can, but .... well, like i said, this whole thing is messed up.

July 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi, Erica, lovely as ever!

July 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica! Was it your birthday yesterday, and if so, did you have a lot of fun?

July 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Sabrina In Las Vegas

IT is very sad that these people didn't even know their own neighbor.

In my area and around my mom's house especially, EVERYONE watches everything that happens.

Or, maybe they were and didn't recognize him and wanted to protect him and his property...it could go either way.

July 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Lori from IL

Hello Erica,

Welcome back and a belated Happy Birthday to you!!

July 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  34. johnkingcnn

the billings case seems to get more bizarre by the day .....have to tell you the sheriff is one cool customer ... says what he wants to say and not a word more!

July 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Roberta

I hope thePresident will stand strong because every American should have health care Thank you Mr President.

July 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Steve - southern Illinois

People in America who don't have health insurance better wake up and start making some noise.

And listening to republicans blame Obama for the mess created by the Bush Administration they voted for is sickening.

July 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Jay

Our new insurance plan has us submitting faxed receipts for medical coverage to a clearing house for cost checking / approval...

Tell me the medical system is not going nuts.........

July 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

@Alex - health care reform is tied to the economy - employers are having trouble covering health care costs of their employees directly affecting the employment issue...

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow! Not good day I heard they might have second safety all the cash their home, YIKES! I like say thank you sheriff David Morgan for information for us.

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Hazel from Cupertino, CA

People expected too much from Obama when they voted for him. They now realize that he can create no miracle in these particular circumstances, with the recession and all.

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica, welcome back! Did you have a fabulous birthday?

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Did the cameras in the house help collect all of the suspects?

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

@Suvro AC360, The upcoming press conference gives President Obama the forum to make his case, to respond to the public's concerns and rebut arguments from congressional opponents. I think that will help him gain support for continuing to work on health care and that will help in the polls.

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Sabrina In Las Vegas

That is what they were doing when the neighbor saw them practicing.

I bet they do have a second "safe" that the money is in and they took the wrong one that had the meds and documents, and they dumped it.

I am sure that when they finish the investigation, it will all come out in the wash and we will be shocked at how the pieces fit.

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  45. ericacnn

hi, bloggers

July 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

The Sheriff really likes to instigate speculation... :/

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. S Davidson

I feel it is bad enough the insurance companies telling us what and how to deal with our health, muchless have now the government infolved. Maybe there should be a salary cap exaple anyone above 30K yearly will be able to get government healthcare at a minimum price. Anyone above that salary should have an option. I am happy with my docotor and insurance, so least I want to be told who to see for my health care.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Stacy

@Carri: Good point regarding the status quo.

@Alex: Health care and the economy are linked. You can't fix the economy without tackling health care.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Mark

You want Government Health Care? You think Medicare, Social Security, The DMV & the Post office work well. Give me a break. I hope Obama, Pelosi & Harry Reed Crash & Burn on this plan. Ask your representative if they will be covered by this program. The answer is "NO". It is a bad deal.

MM

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. robert

I am just wondering why the Usa doesn't have the health care like we do in canada? You would think with all the money you guys have that you could do the same kind of Health care we have here that everyone is covered and can go and have surgery or whatever when we have to. This really puzzles me. I remember before we got our new hhealth cards which we have to have with our pictures on it that lots of people from the states were coming here and getting the use of our free health care.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |