July 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/21/09

President Obama refuses to give up on health care reform. He claims Republicans are playing politics. Meantime, Democrats aren't all on the same page. Stuck in the middle: You and your family. We have the raw politics for you tonight. Plus, the bombshell revelation in the killing of the Florida couple who adopted 13 children with special needs.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening John, master of the magic wall. I agree Suvro; AC 360 is a great show every night.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. William

I have a significant problem with the president continually getting "news conferences" to discuss those issues that he totally supports without equal time to respond by the loyal opposition.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Dana

It's clear to me that a lot of republicans are just postering and want Obama to fail.They are still in election mode.This is not good for the country.They want to break him.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Janine from PA.

Good evening AC 360 and the magic wall.
    Too bad President Obama doesn't have some magic to get this country up and running again. Instead he has to deal with congress who has their own agenda: whats in it for me?
    I say eliminate their health insurance and put them all on hmos and lets see how fast health care is changed in this country.

July 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

When President Obama came in office he said it will not be a easy job for him to make our country be the way it use to be in the 1990's. It took 8 years to make a mess out of our country, it will take another 8 or more to fix it!

July 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Carmella. No one can say if it would be better with McCain or not. All we can say is that one by one Obama's policies are turning out to be failures.

July 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Quentin

This healthcare plan does not cover doctor fees and one must consider the cost saved in your healthcare premium is being added in taxes. If you don't pay taxes to begin with, this plan is great.

July 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Renee

Something smells about these FL killings!

July 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Alex

Mr. King, always enjoy your prespective on the show, glad you're here again tonight.

July 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Cynthia, NC

@ Peter – I agree with you! And I don't feel people should be denied health insurance because of a pre-existing condition either.

July 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Bradrick

I love how the magic wall breaks down the support levels for the president.

July 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Rose, Republicans have proposed over 100 amendments to the legislation. They are not even being invited to the table to talk. That's the Democrats' idea of being bipartisan.

July 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Alex

Rikki, The polls support that Mr. Obama has his plate way to full. Time to priorize that which affects everyone lives the most, the ecomony. Plain and simply. Mr. Obama said he would fix the ecomony, but really there is no real progress. Today, it was reported that so many a going to lose their 26 weeks of unemployment. This will only make things worse.

July 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Isabel • Brazil •

magic wall is amazing and John too!

July 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Carmella

Would we be in any better condition if McCain was President I would say not.

July 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Carri

I find it strange that when a president actually attempts to make change that we say he is taking on too much. Maybe we should have voted for someone who stuck to the status quo.

July 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Annie Kate

I guess its Obama's economy now and most definitely his health care plan and the stimulus along with the growing deficit. I think Obama is trying to do too much too quickly but sometimes you have to try different solutions until you find the right one – too bad they all cost us so much.

July 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Renee

Bennett makes an EXCELLENT point. They know politics but do they know economics? Only time will tell. Let's hope for the best.

July 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This $1.3 trillion deficit for this year alone is squarely Obama's. No way he can increase spending like he has and evade responsibility.

July 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

My brother needs medical attention now, and he doesn't have any medcial insurance.

July 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love John use all most magic wall as bonus go down and had struggle his balance.

July 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi John, good evening!

I think Obama health plan is better then nothing I don't see the Repulicans having any plans.

July 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Suvro AC360°

Obama's press conference is tomorrow...Will it help improve the polls?

July 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

health care seems to be a black cat to everyone...once you cross it, bad stuff looms in your future.

July 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Quentin

Good evening John. Great job. Enough of the president's fear
    tactics in regards to healthcare. I love the dems can blast Bush on the
    defecit, however Obama's presidency is leading this country to longterm bankruptcy.

July 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Peter

I think there is no easy answer to heath care. I think every american should get medical help when they need it regardless.

July 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Alex

Ah yes, the magic wall. What makes is magic, Mr. King???

July 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Lori from IL

@Suvro - glad to see you back on the blog tonight. Enjoy when you join us!

@starr - think it's time we all started contacting our congressmen. If change is going to come, it's going to have to start with us!

July 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Dodie ~ California

I am looking forward to having a variety of choices for health care! Everyone seems very concerned about the cost, but I wonder how much the uninsured ER room visits end up costing us?

July 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  30. sharon, sydney, ns

I think that Obama should push Heath Care even harder. He can't give up. I can't for the life of me see why this is such a problem. So you might pay a little more in taxes, at least no one would have to worry about a doctor or hospital visit anymore. I live in Canada and when I had my daughter my doctor, my obgyn, my hospital stay, all covered. I never had to pay. My mom just had a new knee put in. It didn't cost her anything. She may have had to wait a bit, but she never worried about how much it was going to cost her. How can anyone see that as wrong?

July 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. joji

Nice to see you again in the anchor chair, John. The eye looks much better too!

July 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John King, Randi Kaye, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Tuesday night!

July 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Great point John King. Obama is not demonstrating leadership. It comes from never having been a leader before.

July 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo Suvro AC360°
    I'm glad see you tonight!!!!!!! I love your blog every once!!!! I agree with you!

July 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Isabel • Brazil •

It's normal that President to lose a little of the popularity. A normal wear for a president in a difficult moment, when he needs to make decisions that displease some.

July 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am very much looking forward to the President's press conference tomorrow...somehow it doesn't surprise me that his approval ratings are going down. I fear a lot of people think he's taken on too much and is not able to keep up with it all.

Its good to see John King back at the Magic Wall! 😀

July 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening John & Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

I wrote to both of my Dem. Senators today in support of a realistic healthcare plan. One already supports health care reform, the other one does not even have the issue on his web site.

July 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Dodie ~ California

Thanks John King for the info. You just love your digital board! I like it too due to being very right brained! Thanks

July 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Donna

I feel the President is right. My mother has been sent for 2 MRI's and 1 spinal tap in the past 3 weeks. No results back but they want to do another MRI this week – waste of $$ or what?

July 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. Whoa, that is a lot of cash for the Billings family to have kept in their home. Can't wait to hear the rest of that story.

July 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

oh the magic wall...I miss thee....

July 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Dodie ~ California

Good evening AC 360 staff, John King and other bloggers....

July 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Isabel • Brazil •

Evening John King, Erica, Suvro, David (Indiana) and friends!

July 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Lori from IL

Good evening John King and Fellow Bloggers -

Hope everyone had a good day and Yeah, John King is back in the anchor chair - I like it when you sit in for Anderson - looks like your eye is still a little irritated, John. Good luck with the NY "magic wall!"

Looking forward to the health care debate info - we need health care reform - it's such a complex issue - here's hoping President Obama can get this done!

July 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. eleanor coombs, ga.

Good evening John. Hey to all the staffers and fellow bloggers from good ole Covington , Ga

July 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Kathy from Maryland

Bravo President Obama! Stick to your guns – we are closer to health care reform than ever before. Here's hoping that everyone can come closer to the center and get this thing passed!!!

July 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening John and all! Hope everyone had a great day! John...your eye looks better this evening! 🙂

July 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Hey sweet peeps 😛

Hope yer Tuesday was magnificant! 😀

July 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Suvro AC360°

Hello Everybody! Anderson is out... John King is anchoring tonight! We have a great show coming up...

July 21, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  50. johnkingcnn

hi everyone .... one more night with me in the fill in anchor slot.
    a lot of ground to cover ... we start with a closer look at the political climate shaping the fierce health care debate ... i hope it helps ... if nothing else i get to have a reunion with the new york magic wall!

carville and bennett politely break the politics down ....

we'll also spend some time breaking down the incident in cambridge, mass., near harvard ...an african american professor arrested in his own home - after eyewitnesses saw him breaking in through the front door. we'll try to sort the facts, and better understand the sensitivities.

looking forward to the conversation ......

July 21, 2009 at 9:53 pm |