July 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/20/09

Tonight, Joe Jackson is speaking out about his son's death. Does he believe Michal is a victim of foul play? We'll have the latest. Plus, Pres. Obama's health care battle. Is he asking for too much? We'll have the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

Evening John King, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Sorry I'm a bit late, a lot of running around here.

Happy Birthday Erica!

Hope you get better soon from that allergic reaction John, I've gotten that kind of swelling many times from poison ivy, and bug bites...

Is the President's Health Care proposal in trouble or just beginning to deal with the pressure coming from opponents worried about cost and those whose main concern is seeing to coverage is extended to people who for one reason or another do not have access to health insurance.

July 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Kim CL Illinois

Whoa, John, keeping it real by going on tv despite having a swollen eye. Good for you. Hope you get better soon. Good to have you standing in for Anderson. Appreciate David & Sanja input on health care.

July 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Kim

Is it possible that another reason that doctors order so many unnecessary tests is to cover their behinds so they don't get sued for malpractice?

July 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. michelle

There is an assumption that having health care coverage is going to make us healthier and lower overall cost. Where is the data to support that? I see patients with insurance every day that are obese, continue to smoke, continue to drink, and make unhealthy choices.

July 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Crystal B., Houston, TX

I just think that it is so sad that those children lost their parents.

July 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. starr formerly known as vincent

John King – I agree with othe bloggers – we Like to "be stuck" with you.

And, we certainly agree that Anderson deserves time off!

Anderson's special this weekend was facinating and informative. (we watched it twice).

July 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

my heart goes out to Ashley and her family...I completely agree with everything that she said!

July 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Lori from IL

Health care needs to be reformed - if you think the uninsered aren't costing us anything, you are not very well informed. I just had an overnight stay in the hospital/minor surgery and the cost of everything is sky high - hospitals have to treat people who show up at the ER without insurance and they have to cover their costs, thus those with insurance are paying. As a result, my co-payments, monthly premium, etc. are rising -

July 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

It's a myth that this program will give the same benefits as Congress gets. Let's see Congress set an example by giving up their plan for this one. If they do that maybe I'll believe it will work.

July 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. barb

president obama should look to canada about a health care.

July 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. LaToya Damita

Joe Jackson seems to have unresolved issues that he isn't willing to face. Perhaps, he'll come to grips with the reality of what's going on around him. His advanced years have probably caused him to have "some"timers disease- he believes what he says sometimes.

He seems pretty much convinced that the reports of abuse at his hands his children have given are false.

What was he going on about on Larry King?

Will MJ ever rest in peace??

July 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Jim B

Wake up you guys! Congress & the Senate have health care at the best possible locations for life. Can anyone say "Conflict of Interest"? You people are impossible. Try "keeping them honest" with our boys and girls in WDC. I dare you to post this!

July 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Jon

Government healthcare is not the answer! Just look at Canada. care is delayed or denied. The answer is getting costs under control. Think about it.

July 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Dodie ~ California

I thought this health care would be affordable health care... in other words, people would pay a premium! If it does Not involve for profit insurance companies, it would be less expensive.

That ad uses 'fear' to scare Americans away from getting rid of the insurance companies

Capitalism should not be involved when people are ill or dieing!

July 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Betsy

I was concerned about your eye. Glad to hear that David gergen didn't punch you.

July 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Janine from PA.

What an exciting day for a birthday Ms. Hill with the 40th anniversary of the moon landing.

July 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Victor El Paso TX

I cant tell your face is puffy John.....dont worry dude you look fine

July 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@John, I wouldn't say we are stuck with you...I would say we are lucky to have you! 🙂 And take a Benadryl for your eye! And put some ice on it!

I do think that all Americans deserve health care coverage. I'm lucky enough to have a job that offers excellent benefits, but of course not everyone is that lucky and we need to do something to make health care available to everyone. Obama needs to step up to the plate and get something done.

July 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Happy Birthday Erica!! Have a great day! I hope you have a blast your birthday! Yay!

July 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

Is today your Birthday Miss Erica? I hope you have a great day!

July 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Janine from PA.

We are never "stuck" with Mr. King.

July 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Carmella

I think alot of Doctors are afraid of being sued, so they order the defensive test.

July 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Minou, New York City

@ John- what happened to our eye?

July 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If it adds to the deficit, 'affordable' health care isn't affordable.

July 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  25. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi John, thank you for blogging with us. What are you allergic to??

July 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John K.
    I know I am stuck with you!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!! I agree with you!!!
    I am surprise congrees and Senators have to change our healthcare, I don't have healthcare, can't afford bill what I have paid for healthcare without insurance.

July 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Dodie ~ California

lol Minou from NYC

My thoughts exactly

July 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This is a pure numbers game. Prove the savings first, then expand benefits.

July 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Janine from PA.

Good Evening AC 360
    If Bush and his cohorts hadn't put us in this budget breaking never ending war we would have all the money we need to start up universal health care. I'd like to see a special industry run it, and it needs to be highly scrutinized. Congress is too corrupt and too incompetent to run this system properly.

July 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Lori from IL

Hello, John King and Fellow Bloggers –

John — Good to see you in the anchor chair tongiht –

Fellow Bloggers — Hope everyone had a good weekend –

and I hope Anderson is getting some much deserved rest after his busy trip to Ghana a week ago — thought the weekend special was great.

July 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Dodie ~ California

John King....

How you are feeling better.

July 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Afrikiti

The Fact that AEG makes a statement, does not make it truth.
    Like Mr. Rowe said, Where is the signed contract?
    If they sent letters of such importance, they should have been sent Certified, Return Receipt for proof!

July 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

@ John – we like to be stuck with you.. 🙂

July 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Brandy

I think that the President is trying his best to get affordable Health Care for the people of America. I have never seen any president working this hard to help us with medical. I have seen them work more harder for the war not for the people.

July 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

I don't know about everyone else, but i am getting pretty frustrated over this health care issue.

I can see why many senators and & citizens are concerned about the cost and the rush, on the other hand, if we don't do something, the political schedule will push this issue aside for another 2 years.

I Know that Special Interests are against this ( especially insurance companys) and it is apparent by Sen. DeMint;s statement today, Republicans are playing politics again!

July 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Dodie ~ California

John King!

You are Awesome! Glad to see you tonight!

July 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  37. amber

Hi, i think John King's eye is swollen.

July 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  38. Minou, New York City

One of the reasons for why I still work where I work is my health insurance. I will lose it when I leave. I want to leave, tho! This needs to change!

July 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Dodie ~ California

“for profit” insurance companies are using 'fear' tactics by calling a social health care socialistic! Good Grief~

July 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  40. eleanor coombs, ga.

C'mon , I guess the GOP expects miracles from the President in such a short time. Pressure cooking him.

July 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. LorenaR

looking forward to the program tonight. don't often get to watch it in its entirety because we are in southern CA, it's still seven o clock, and many of us are out doing things!

July 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  42. johnkingcnn

Hi everyone …. Anderson has a well deserved few days off .. so you are stuck with me.
    If you were watching larry king .. you saw some strong allegations made against the promoters of Michael jackson’s planned concert tour. We’re following those new developments tonight.

And on a story much more familiar to me: a big week in the health care reform debate. It is the president’s signature domestic initiative – and it is in a bit of trouble because of internal democratic disagreements over how to pay for it and rising public concerns about whether the country can afford it right now ………

One footnote: hard to miss some swelling around my right eye. no worries; some sort of allergic reaction.

July 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Dodie ~ California

Medicare is social health care not socialistic. I am looking forward to it! I am sick and tired of the “for profit” insurance companies charging billions of dollars to sick and ill people for their medical coverage and costs.

July 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Minou, New York City

HI John, Erica and all..
    reg MJ: since there was so much money involved in getting the concert on the road, I am leaning toward believing that AEG put the pressure on MJ to perform more often...they could (and I say could) have possibly paid to get MJ to pass the physicals..

July 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  45. LorenaR

so tired of anti-Obama-ites talking about socialism. what are Medicare, social security, and unemployment insurance? would they deny these benefits to themselves?

July 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  46. An

Hi Anderson.

Hi Bloggers.

Hi Anderson, It is monday, your first on live of the week so It is so primary for the works! I wish you are safe and ok so please be careful! I would like to wish you have safety for the works! It must be so difficult with the special program last weekend! Please have safety fairly time of works!

An

July 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello John K. & Randi-Kaye.

Hello fellow bloggers.

Looks like a busy night for news.

July 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  48. LorenaR

i was at the Michael Jackson home in Beverly Hills over the weekend, and yes,although locked up, there were still tourists and visitors there. there were two christmas wreaths on his gate, unexplained.

July 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening John and everyone! Hope everyone had a great day! 🙂 Happy Birthday Erica Hill! Hope you had a great day!

July 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John King, Erica, Ed Henry, (Anderson) David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!

July 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm |