July 16th, 2009

Sotomayor's testimony 'frustrating'

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/07/16/sotomayor.hearing/art.graham.gi.jpg caption="Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor greets Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, Thursday."]

Timothy P. O'Neill
Special to CNN

So what does the U.S. Supreme Court gain and lose by exchanging Justice David Souter for Sonia Sotomayor?

In Souter, it is losing a graduate of both an Ivy League college and law school; someone with law firm practice as a civil litigator as well as experience as a government prosecutor; a person known as a fine trial judge; and someone who came directly to the Supreme Court from a judgeship on the U.S. Court of Appeals. He is unmarried, childless, and known as a tireless worker.

If Sotomayor is confirmed, the Supreme Court will gain a graduate of both an Ivy League college and law school; someone with law firm practice as a civil litigator as well as experience as a government prosecutor; a person known as a fine trial judge; and someone who comes directly to the Supreme Court from a judgeship on the U.S. Court of Appeals. She is unmarried, childless, and known as a tireless worker.

Oh, and their last names both begin with the letter "S."

So will the change make any difference?

Read more...

Filed under: Supreme Court
  1. Mark from Saint Louis

The change will not make a difference in the short-term. In the long run, yes, because she is fairly young. She will be able to legislate from the bench fr a long time to come just as she has in the past.

July 17, 2009 at 12:56 am |
  2. Mark from Saint Louis

Nice how Sotomeyer is lying about what she said and what she meant. You libs can now continue your march to destroying our constitutional-based society. No big deal.

July 17, 2009 at 12:53 am |
  3. rachel

fear is ignorance. too much is simplified in racial slur. reflect and be open minded. humanity's progress is based on the decline in egocentrism. and by the way my European ancestors drawing of inappropriate country boundaries during colonialism can be blamed for the chaos that ensued when they left!

July 16, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

Sotomeyer should be a good judge on the Court. She really doesn't sound much different than Souter except for her ethnic background and sex. Those should help rather than hinder her work – we are a country rich in diversity; our Court should represent that diversity as well.

July 16, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  5. Ronald H., MS

I am a young African American male from the south who just recently completed my undergraduate degree and is presently pursing a graduate degree. For the past four days I have been watching these confirmation hearings in disgust. Judge Sotomayor is a well qualified individual who has been appointed by the President. The hearings have been nothing more than a witch hunt! The "wise latina women" was the fuel behind this, and with a senate committee of mostly white southern republicans, they dug in. Even the the firefighter's case, the fact that white men were the discriminant in the dispute was enough to grill her about it. I felt that she and everybody else should have voted against it. I love the south, but I also know the truth that still exists in the south. The southern senators demonstrated that ever present southern mentality when dealing with ACCOMPLISHED, LEARNED, AND DRIVEN individuals who happen to be minority. Judge Sotomayor has my respect and with pride I pray that she does have a seat on the Justice Supreme Court.

July 16, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  6. Mike in NYC

Yeah, Ruby, non-Whites won't do what Whites did - they'll do far, far worse. Just look at any black-run city. That's what "White flight" is about. Whites know all too well what happens when "they" take over. Crime, corruption, and chaos.

Non-White majorities have a pretty dismal record when it comes to running their own nations. That’s why most Africans would welcome a return to European rule.

BTW, Whites aren't running this nation. If they were, there wouldn't be 30 million illegals here.

July 16, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  7. Royster

Its very shocking that people from Puerto Rico are now calling them self's Latin , Latina and not just Ruerto Ricans anymore. Puerto Rican looks down on every Spanish speaking people, they just can't stand Mexicans. I always ask what are they? Their are 20-30% black born in Puerto but please don't call them black or Mexicans. I have been in the navy for 6 years and had change to be on two ships I can not remember meeting one Puerto Rican ever on board one of my ship or if you have any friends in the navy on board a ship ask them if they know one Puerto Rican serving. I can not say for any other services and am not saying their no Puerto Rican in the Navy but I haven met one.
    So just leave judge Sonia Soto mayor alone because their nothing we all can do to stop the process by next month we will not see or hear her name ever again.
    If your piss at what I say just go to Puerto Rico and call the Latina's
    My point is, in puerto Rico they are a nation by them self no American no Latins. When they are away from home and need something they get a temporary visa to the lain community.
    again if you don't believe me take a trip to Puerto Rico.

July 16, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  8. Lampe

I have never heard such stupid remarks in my life. Michael: Repubs are doing exactly what Dems do everytime a Repub. President nominates someone . Ruby: Are you some sort of mindreader or something? Because you must be to make a comment like yours. We won't do you, how you've done non-whites. Exactly how do you know this for a fact? And Sotomayor, is being asked if she will obey the law, pure and simply. you must not and can not legally let anything ,like race or gender,stop her from doing her job. If she is unable to do that, than she should not be seated, or she should be women enough to step down.

July 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  9. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

I understand why caucasions are scare, or frighten or worried, over the words of Judge Sotomayor, because in part they are true, we are taking over, & our views & judgements are going to come in to play, but all that means is that the White Man will have to share it's Power, & that is not a bad thing, we won't do you how you've done all other non white's, so no need to worry, you just can't blunty down grade anyone, anymore.

July 16, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  10. Michael C. McHugh

These hearings were pretty boring, and strictly pro forma, since we know she'll be confirmed. Obviously, the Republicans are just using all of it to appeal to their Confederate-evengelical base, but they always do that.

July 16, 2009 at 5:52 pm |