July 16th, 2009

Photo Gallery: Returning to Ghana

Editor's Note: African Americans moving back to Africa choose to relocated to Ghana more than any other country on the continent. Tonight on AC360°, we talk with African Americans who have moved back to Ghana to hear their stories.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Africa • Ghana • Pres. Obama African Journey
  1. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

These are some really nice pictures, my favorite its the 1st one... So full of emotions and love the lighting... I gotta tell you that this is one of the stories I've always wanted to know more about and you did an amazing job! I really want to thank you for it! And also I want to congratulate you for all the hard work you do!

By the way... Do you know what the woman in the 2nd picture is selling? It kinda looks like cookies, BIG cookies!

July 17, 2009 at 12:46 am |
  2. Yvonne

Hello Andersen.

Quite interesting coverage, and what a surprise to see the woman in
    the white dress that grew up in the Bronx, NY had relocated to Ghana.

July 17, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  3. Sabrina In Las Vegas

These pictures are fascinating, very candid and artistic/informative.

Anderson has a nice physique...slow down on the upper arms though...you got very big cannons man.

July 17, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  4. C Layne

Like Sonia, I was teary eye because the interview brought back painful memories of my visit to the Slave House of Goree – Island ,Senegal West Africa. It too has the small holding rooms and a door of no return. I enjoyed the interview and the pictures. I hope to visit Ghana someday and I know that I will enjoy myself there like I did in Senegal. when I was growing up all we saw on TV was Tarzen and Jane, forest and wild animals. Believe me Africa is more than that.
    Thank you AC.

July 16, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  5. Tamela

These photos are simply gorgeous Anderson. Thank you for such outstanding reporting.

July 16, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  6. Deborah

Fantastic pics. The entire coverage of this story has been moving and informative. Thank you for this 360 view! Re: the woman in white...few of us ever get clarity of our "soul" purpose or we don't hear it. I "get" her feeling of a calling and I applaud her for taking this life changing leap.

July 16, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  7. Sumera- Maryland

Love your pictures!

July 16, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  8. Scotch Indian

Interesting to hear about the slave trade in Ghana way back when. Wasn't this about the same time (generally) that -

*Shaka was slaughtering other black tribes to form the Zulu nation in Natal?
    *Mzilikazi, one of Shaka's Generals, left the Zulu nation with his troops, swept up to what is now Zimbabwe slaughtering every (black) man, woman and child as he pushed the Shona out of Southern Zimbabwe?
    *Black tribal chiefs in Ghana & Western Africa were directly involved in capturing other black people and selling them to Arab traders and European slavers.
    *The Barbary Pirates (dark skinned Muslims) captured and enslaved thousands of American and European sailors.

Yes, the Europeans and American were involved in the slave trade, and no one is defending that. But, please, let's have a little perspective! The Brits used their Navy to halt most of the slave trade in the early 1800's; the American's fought a Civil War which ended slavery in which 600,000 mostly white Americans died.

July 16, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  9. Edmund

Slavery is WRONG! Hopwever since biblical times it has been around. We did not do right enslaving Arficans. However, who brought the Africians to these holding facilities\? Did 50 or so white men give trinkets to 400 or so Africians to take a boat ride? Not hardly. Africians entrapped Africans, spoils of war, ner do wells, and other unfortunates. Again what we did was wrong. But let's give credit where credit is due as to how the Africians got enslaved initially.

July 16, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  10. micky

those pictures were breath taking,good job. And what what a friendly atmosphere they have around them.

July 16, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  11. Joan Jacob

CNN makes me proud of their balance in reporting their news, the President visit to Ghana and Mr Cooper'sinterview took my breath
    away...Ghana I love you .

July 16, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  12. Ebenezer ODame

Good Job Anderson but it seems you are holding up on us. Is this a trick to keep us glued to CNN and yearn for more reports on the African trip?

July 16, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  13. Carolyn

Wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You were excellent. Thank you!

July 16, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  14. Solomon

I commend you for the depth and importance you have given to Obama's visit to Ghana. You have done a brilliant job!

I would only have loved that you showed the nicer areas of Ghana too! All too often the foreign media sends really "horrible" pictures of Africa. While shanty areas are quite common to Africa, it is not exclusively an African thing; it's global. So any opportunity then to show Africa, I would wish you (foreign press) show the nicer areas that reflect the life we lead.

I agree with Paula though that your coverage was very informative and educational.

Great Coverage! Great Job!

July 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  15. Kwaku Addo-Twum

Anderson!Thanks for this special documentary.This is the first time I have seen the good,the bad and the ugly kind of reportage.

July 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  16. eric amoah

Hey good job Anderson. but please show the good side of Ghana in your pictures next time. the clubs, hotels,parks and others for tourism. every bit helps

July 16, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  17. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

How on earth do they balance those baskets on their heads? That's incredible!

July 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Nana Osei

Anna Barnett-this stuff on their heads never fall off,they balance it so carefully and you should see them running up and down with then in traffic (not holding them).You should see our mother carrying their babies on their back in cloth and they do it so carefully and they never fall off..so many things to see and learn here in this beautiful country of mine..and I am so grateful Obama came here!!any questions about my country add me on facebook (Percy Mutombo).Anderson.hope you enjoyed your stay here in Ghana!!

July 16, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. JR

Love the attention you've given to Ghana and the slave trade! It must have been a once-in-a-lifetime reporting experience. Just one thing: You've made it sound as though all blacks in America have a direct line to Africa. Truth is, I embrace my African, Native American and European ancestry (all resulting from slavery), which in some form or fashion is what most blacks in America have.

July 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Lori

There is Anderson in his element. I love the last picture. You look great.

July 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Such beautiful shots. Hats off to the photographer. I was mesmerized by the story. That was Anderson. Bravo!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Derick Prempeh

Great pics, AC. Good work as always.

July 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. jamal

i was just watching ur program and it made me cry i am from the caribbean country of antigua

July 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. rose

Great job ac and Great pics. You have got to be the best correspondent EVER!!! Keep it up.

July 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. jamal

i am from the caribbean coumtry and as a former breeding ground for slave and from a slave generation it hurts so much what these people had to go through

July 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  26. PJ

Good job in Africa, Anderson!
    Great reporting!

July 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Paula

I thoroughly enjoyed the guided tour Anderson gave of the
    facilities at Ghana. The tour was informative and educational.
    I previously knew nothing about those facilities nor slavery
    from the African 'point of view'.

July 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. garyprinz

Why so worried about Ghana or Haiti when 40% of all students do not get out of highschool in the United States. The bottom line is that this is the number one problem in the United States. As long as this continues than all other problems will continue toadvance. Obesity, drug use, drug dealing, crime, gang violence and gang membership. You had better fix the real problem or things will only get worse.

July 16, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  29. Dwan Bailey

This photo looks like a New Orleans secondline. Thanks for the great shots.

July 16, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  30. lynne

I wish there were captions under them. I'd like to know what is going on in the streets. Where you are in Ghana? Why is that man being carried in what looks like a painted, hollowed out tree? Someone has an umbrella over him. Im guessing to protect him from the sun or somehting like that. Is a leader of some sort?
    In the second picture, what is the box on the womens head?

July 16, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  31. Kathrina

I love the third picture also. It's very artistic.

July 16, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  32. Rou-Jhen Su

I love all your photos!!
    I love Anderson

July 16, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  33. Heather

Hi Anderson...I have to tell you, I became a CNN addict with Michael Jacksons death..from watching Campbell and larry to catching AC360...Im hooked. You all truly have the best, most truthful reporting. Your trip to Ghana with the president was awe inspiring. I would love to know more about these slave fortress's! How horrific! Keep up the great stuff!

July 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  34. riza

ghana looks so alive. .everybody seems busy. . .but more than anything. . anderson distracts me.. .in a good way. . .ha. .ha. . looking happy and handsome as usual. .

July 16, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  35. Annie Kate

Wonderful pictures. I love seeing the different fabrics and colors the native women wear. Its always like a rainbow effect. And of course the pictures with Anderson are always good and these are no exception. Thanks for posting these!!

July 16, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  36. Dede Borle

Did u ask what the girl was selling? Hope u tried som of our local dishes.

July 16, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  37. Dede Borle

U r always welcome mr cooper...id luv 2show u round ma country,Ghana.

July 16, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  38. Stin. NYC

Thanks for visiting...

July 16, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  39. Stin

Anderson is so hot, look at those gun's

wink wink

July 16, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  40. Sarita from Algeria

Hey Anderson !!

I traveled to Ghana two years ago and I was fascinated with the beauty of this country, there is definitely something special about it...Your pics look great !!

July 16, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  41. Glenda

I agree, these pictures are captivating. I will definitely be watching tonight, Mr. AC 360. 🙂

July 16, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  42. Josiah

nice piece u did about Ghana, why dont you become a special correspondent for Africa, you realise we have great stories to be told

July 16, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  43. bgs

Good pics. I like the 4th one from the top. What do you think the kid's thinking?
    "....what do i have to do to get biceps like that? hmmm...nail biting is not so bad after all..."

July 16, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  44. Dr. Arndt Meisel

mr cooper knows about appereance and certain care for common interests. i adore him.

July 16, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  45. Anna Barnett

great photos...does the stuff on their heads ever fall off???

July 16, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  46. Sonia

When she (lady in white) started to cry doing Anderson's interview, I just lost it, I could feel her pain. So, my tears were tears of joy and sadness. Thanks to CNN and Anderson Cooper, job well done.

July 16, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  47. MeMe

The pic of AC by himself facing camera should be a Beat 360 ! We could have lots of fun with that one!!

July 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  48. Isabel • Brazil •

The third picture is great and is the best!
    Congratulations to the photographer!

July 16, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  49. Isabel • Brazil •

Hey, Mr. Cooper!
    Nice pictures! Ghana looks pretty cool!

July 16, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  50. Sabrina in Las Vegas

Fascinating pictures.

I love the candidness of them.

July 16, 2009 at 6:51 pm |