July 14th, 2009

Sotomayor's legacy on the bench

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/07/14/sotomayor.childhood/art.graduation.whitehouse.jpg caption="Sonia Sotomayor, here at her 8th-grade graduation, had to finish homework and chores before she could go out."]
CNN

The following are past key rulings made by Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor, who begins a week long hearing in the senate judiciary committee on Monday.

Keep Reading...

Filed under: 360° Radar • Sonia Sotomayor
  1. Lampe

Adriana: I beg to differ with you, it was more like six times she made those comments. And to just let you know something I am an AA women, who was offended by those remarks. This country has alot of problems dealing with racism,and for a judge to say those kinds of things is terrible. Would you want a White Judge to deal with someone from your family knowing that they had made the comment, "I as a White Judge, feel that I could better judge a Latina, better than a Latina Judge?" And once again I ask the same question, Is this the very first time you have watched a Confirmation Hearing? Because it is you are judging this one not knowing that this goes on everytime someone is picked to be a SCJ. Democrats have done it to Republican picks, as well as Republicans doing it to Democrats. Does it make it right no, but it has been this way for a very long time. Maybe you all should no be so quick to judge something, never having paid attention to it before?

July 14, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  2. Joe Fattal

Like every politician when offer a position after their goof ups, they always say something of that sort" My statement was innapropriate, or that is not exactly what I ment, whatever it takes for them to be appointed they will say it. Judge Sotomayor is not any different. Therefore I do not trust her Her Latina comment wouldn't have changed if she wasn't nominated for the appointment on the supreme court.

July 14, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  3. Shahid Ahmed

I watched some of the Sotomayor hearings on CNN. I am amazed some of the Repulicans who are also lawyers are having difficulty in understanding Sotomayor comments when she says a person with much wider life experience will have better understanding when applying the law to the facts. I do not see why the Republican Senators cannot get this message through their heads. I listened to her comments I didnt get the impression that she uses her race or her personal biases in deciding the cases. Even in real life a person uses his real life experience to judge right from wrong which is a fundamental law for human existence. The other point that Sotomayor was conveying is that when you are passing a law for the citizens of the country, a person or persons who has gone through real life experiences can construct a law that not only is fair and equitable but would apply to real life situation. If the law is fair and equitable and people can understand the intent of the law then they would follow it then if the law is vague. Justice will be better served if we have some lay perons with real life experiences sit with lawyers on the bench to decide the cases.

July 14, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  4. RLWellman

Judge Sotomayor has shown over and over she is biased and discriminates. Is it because she discriminates against white people that makes it okay? Why has 80% of her decisions been overturned by the supreme court if she was right?

She is qualified to get the job, but not to discriminate. Look at her record, not what at she is saying now just to get the job. The left wing extremist would love to get her in place and are the first to cry racist.

If a white male made that comment, he would have been tossed out. So why is it okay for a Latino female to say it, racist is racist, no matter what color your skin is!

July 14, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  5. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

I'm wondering if the Sen. thinks that no one is watching them & how they are coming at Judge Sotomayor, don't get the Latinos started, we're not going to forget who they are, & Latinos are every where now, & we're watching them..

July 14, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  6. Kathy

While glued to the Sotomayor hearings on CNN all day, I was most distressed by the contemptuous attitude displayed by Sen. Lindsey Graham in his grilling of Judge Sotomayor. Obviously someone died and left him God!

July 14, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  7. Adriana

I just want to say I felt compelled to respond to today's attacks on Judge Sotomayor's previous Latina comments. As a Latina myself, I am tired of this inherent notion we have in this country that "white is right." Sotomayor has an extensive background proving her impartiallity, yet one positive comment about Latinas proves too much for right wing extremists. Fox has done nothing but bash Sotomayor in their political play by play today. What is her legacy? Judicial prudence!

July 14, 2009 at 4:34 pm |