July 13th, 2009

Photo gallery: Anderson in Ghana

Program Note: The first African-American President visited Ghana this past week and Anderson Cooper tagged along for the journey. Here are a few snapshots from the trip. For more on the President's historic visit, tune in to AC360° tonight 10p ET.

AC360°

Anderson shooting a segment in Ghana.

President Obama and Anderson talk during their sit-down interview.

Anderson talks with Mrs. Imahkus Okofo, who used to live in the United States, at a former Slave Fortress on the Cape Coast of Ghana ahead of President Obama's visit to Ghana.

Anderson bends down to look at a poster welcoming President Obama to Ghana.

Anderson shoots a segment on the Cape Coast of Ghana.

Anderson and President Obama talk on the grounds of the Cape Coast Castle in Ghana.

Anderson walks by a parade celebrating the appointment of a new official on the Cape Coast of Ghana.

1. Ruth Fitzpatrick, Montclair, CA

Anderson always looks happier when he is out in the field reporting. I didn't think his eye looked like anything was wrong. He is a handsome man with huge arms

July 14, 2009 at 2:52 am |
  2. Vivian opoku

I was born in ghana, but i never thoght there was a place like that in ghana. thank you for showing all these nice pictures.

July 14, 2009 at 2:24 am |
  3. Fuyuko

Particularly like the picture showing Anderson on the Cape Coast of Ghana. Hopefully this Ghana-trip opens you up to another milestone in your career, Anderson.

July 14, 2009 at 2:09 am |
  4. Nana

Good Job! Thanks Anderson...long live 360, Long live Ghana

July 14, 2009 at 2:00 am |
  5. Olane

I'm impressed to see u in a more realistic situation rather than on the screen! more impressed to see Pdt Obama visiting Africa, it's great as for the world history! Hope to see both of u in my country (Madagascar) one day! by the way, my country need to learn a lot about your democracy.

July 14, 2009 at 1:57 am |
  6. Paul Kwame Kuewor - Montreal, Canada

Anderson!,

You 've done it again and not only do I appreciate your coverage on Obama but some of your wonderful works as well in the deep jungle of Congo and other parts of Africa would always remain a creative art of journalism. Keep up the good work and don't forget to bring DON LEMON to the African hood on your next visit to Africa. Be blessed.

July 14, 2009 at 1:55 am |
  7. osa

Great pictureas Anderson. Keep up the good work.
    always look to you for objective reporting on Africa that isn't all bad news.

July 14, 2009 at 1:49 am |
  8. martha bond

Hey Anderson....Great Job.
    Love the pictures

July 14, 2009 at 1:40 am |
  9. Robert in Atlanta

When ever I see this president dong the fantastic job he is dong. I think of this poem by Langston Hughes:

I, Too, Sing America

I am the darker brother,
    They send me to eat in the kitchen
    When company comes.
    But I laugh,
    And eat well,
    And grow strong.
    They’ll see how beautiful I am
    And be ashamed-
    I, too, am American

.We love America in spite of her cruelty to us in the past and now. I am speaking of the negative comments made about the Obama children

July 14, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  10. riza

nice pics with president obama. .. .nice job

July 14, 2009 at 12:33 am |
  11. mohammed abu

It nice to see Anderson and the president in ghana,am very proud because am i was born in america by ghanian parents and grew up in kumasi Ghana, i completed my elementary and secondary education in Ghana.While i enjoy the pictures i would also like to see all the fine buildings,good roads and some of the good things not just poverty.As we say in Ghana"AYEKOO"good job well done.

July 14, 2009 at 12:20 am |
  12. YAA OBRUNI

CORRECTION: I know the lady in the picture and it has been years since I’ve seen her… so thank you again for helping me RELIVE (was relieve)those beautiful days I spent in Ghana.

O' PLEASE eat the fufu and soup with your fingers it definitely gives it a better taste. I mean the food is delicious but there is SOMETHING about eating it with the fingers.

July 14, 2009 at 12:19 am |
  13. Prince Edudzi

ps. I meant the wonderful WORK!! 🙂

July 14, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  14. Prince Edudzi

Anderson, I watched your interview tonight, it was blissful. Just to echo my fellow Ghanaians, we are all very proud to be citizens of our lovely Gold Coast (Ghana). With it's rich cultures and traditions, I was not surprised President Obama choose Ghana as for his first African visit as a President. As you saw, Ghanaians are a bunch of happy people and we love life. I am however surprised no succeeded in dressing you in a traditional Ghanaian outfit. If they did, please share those pics. 🙂 Thanks for sharing Ghana with the world. Keep up the wonderful world.

July 14, 2009 at 12:12 am |
  15. Cynthia

Anderson,

Wow....look @ those pipes you sport?!?!...err i mean biceps. U could be the next Lance Armstrong....no pun intended!

Best

July 14, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  16. adjoa agyapomaa aning

Thank you Mr Anderson for sheding a positive light on my proud country,Ghana for been a peaceful and democractic in Africa.Hopefully next time u will show some of the beautiful places and not the degrading site.
    Akwaaba ,Nyame nhyira wo(means welcome,and God bless u)
    God bless Ghana and God bless America.

July 13, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  17. YAA OBRUNI

that was breath takingly nice. I ADVISE EVERYONE who can find a way to go to GHANA ...TO GO TO GHANA. The hospitality is unbelievable and don't leave until you have had some palm wine under the palm tree or some STAR beer.

July 13, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  18. J Warford

Anderson thank you so much for the exceptional reporting in Africa. I hope and pray that one day I can visit. I love all your reporting especially in the field.

July 13, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  19. Walter Mitty

But the eye!! Where's the crazy spider-bitten eye?? Come on, you could have thrown us a few shots of your distorted face, just for a laugh. 🙂 Thanks for the pix and all the tweets – Glad to see you are keeping up with Lance Armstrong on "TPM" ( tweets per minute).

July 13, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  20. VJP

Anderson, first of all-been working out,right ? You look great. Thank You for the interview with our President,it is so touching and informative.

July 13, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  21. alice

Why "ayekoo" to AC? Did I miss something? Yes he showed more of Obama's visit than any of the networks, but for once I was hoping that for a change we will not see only the market place and those who do dot have water, but some emphasis on the life of an average person, the culture, entertainment (which is 24/7), the rich, the export and import, and the rich natural resources including gold and coco which is exported to other countries. What about the 5,4,3.. star hotels?Yes is not as developed as the western world, and the huge inequality gap does not help, but what is always seen on TV dose not speak of an average person in Ghana. I can't wait for the day a reporter will show both sides of an African country.

July 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  22. nana adwoa

Welcome back Anderson....now to Olajide Ogundipe, Jr...President Obama made a great choice.you and i will agree that nigeria is really corrupt(you can even google to prove my point)....He chose Ghana over nigeria despite all the oil and stability of your economy because ghana is peaceful and ghanaians are open and friendly to all...I wouldn't have being suprised if Obama came to nigeria and his kids were kidnapped and blackmailed in exchange for America..LOL...even Anderson is very excited to be in Ghana..please be excited too beacuse Obama came to ghana but this visit was for every country in Africa..Even if it's Nigeria ooo,Ghana oo,Kenya ooo they are all in AFRICA!!!! You should know he can't visit every country on the continent. God bless AFRICA & AMERICA and the people in the world.

July 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  23. julliet

great job as always and nice pictures. would you like to go back to Ghana?

July 13, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  24. Yaw Adoo

Anderson;
    Great job in keeping it honest with your reporting. Milkions of Africans watched your report closely and I am personally pleased with your twist on the African project. I hope that this type of reporting will serve as a pace setter for other reporters and journalists who have huge ratings on their cable networks to showcase the powerful influence of African engagement in business, tourism, and culture.

I am glad that Ghana is serving as a model for my other dear African countries, peoples and cultures. Long live Africa; long live AC360.

Ayekoo.

July 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  25. massa Corneh

As an American citizen and an African (Liberian), I command you for a job well done in Ghana! Thank you for the coverage. I hope your next trip will be Liberia.

July 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  26. Georgina

Anderson, Akwaaba! Thank you for such a brilliant report, and pictures from your show and CNN. It throws a positive light on Ghana, and let the world enjoy Obama's visit to Ghana. The reporting was very educational to my family and all that watched, even though we are from Ghana. Thank you CNN, and Anderson for a great job done.

July 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  27. Felicia

Hi Andersen

My mother is from Elmina and my father from Cape Coast. I recently took my two boys to Ghana for their first visit and visited both Elmina and Cape Coast Castles and they were both changes. The people are poor but my boys realized how lucky they are here in the US(PA) and started getting As when they got back. My poor Elmina and Cape Coast is in the picture because of you so thank you so much.

Thanks Andersen.

July 13, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  28. Mohammed Umar

Anderson, I am a native of Cape Coast in Ghana now residing in Jacksonville, Fl. I am disappointed with the coverage so far that is airing tonight, with the type of advertisement that CNN put up highlighting ur coverage and interview with the President in Ghana, i was hoping for you to show a background of the city and the people instead of the still photos, tell the american audience a little history and social living of the people.Do you know that the first seat of govt in ghana is that same castle in cape coast? and that the first elementary school in the country also started in the castle in 1776? that Cape Coast still has the best schools in Ghana? I on behalf of all Ghanaians are grateful to the President and CNN for the exposure but we need more; more of the positives. Thank you

July 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  29. Sharon (Bahamas)

Brings back so many memories of my emotional visits to the castles at Elmina and Cape Coast. They were forced through the "Door of No Return" I was fortunate to walk back through it. Sankofa!

As a member of the African Diaspora, I know that I stand on the shoulders of Elders who had to endure so much. They suffered and /or died that we might have a better life.

I pour libation to the Elders and hope that we honor their struggle by living our best lives.

Thanks Anderson for sharing this with the world.

July 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  30. hetty

good job .i am from Ghana but i now reside in canada.there are so many negative views of africa from americans .i am glad that you were the one who got to go see for yourself that even though things are not that good ghanaians are always happy .hope u cam post more pictures.i miss home so much.it is the best place on earth

July 13, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  31. andrews agyekum

African countries need to be on the same page as USA and Ghana and make room for democracy. long liveth Ghana and America, democracy and Anderson Cooper.

July 13, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  32. Amaakaa

Great Job AC I wish the rest of the African Countries will learn from Ghana, and I thank Barack for going there too. If this does not open the their eyes even if Jesus Christ comes down there is not going to be peace.

July 13, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  33. Claudette

Anderson, you have nice arms. Congratulations!!

July 13, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  34. ZAINAB

NICE PICTURES. WE CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU. HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR TRIP TO THE MOTHERLAND. AKWAABA, KUSHE,

July 13, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  35. Peggy

Mr. AC, good work on your work with the President visit to Ghana. But must say, good work getting out of the suit here and now while in the field. Who would've thought such a nice body accommpanies your ahem, not unfortunate at all face. Nice total package AC, nice.

Cheers...

July 13, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  36. Claudette

Anderson, you have nice arms. Wowwwww!!!!

July 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  37. Jean

Olajide Ogundipe, Jr.

lets not get into the pros and cons of Nigeria, you know Ghana is much safer and less corrupt than Nigeria. President Obama knows that and now the whole world will know how peaceful and loving Ghana is.

More pictures of my homeland an Anderson Cooper. These were lovely.

July 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Stephen, Maine

Great pictures. It brought back memories of visiting the castle, and also Ghana

July 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Wanna

I just watched your interview with Pres. Oboma. It amazes me how rested both you and the Pres. look. It was nice to get a glimpse of Michelle, the girls and their grandmother. What an experience this has been for all of them and you. I always watching you on AC360. My husband and I are both 77 we enjoyed a trip to South Africa and Namibia a few years ago. The trip to Namibia was truly life changing for both of us.
    Thanks,
    Wanna

July 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Latif and Anita

Outstanding coverage of Ghana. You did look relaxed and always do a great job in what you do. Hope you go back and visit again. What is your personal opinion about Ghana and how much more do you think they have to go? Keep up the great job!

July 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Daisy

Good job Anderson! But there's one thing that saddens me.the fact that u by-passed all the beautiful modern buildings and beautiful landscape and showed pictures of remote poverty stricken villagers.im in Ghana watching ac360 now and its sad.its like a reporter going to the States and only taking pics of trailer parks and ghettos.I admire u but i was hoping you would change the stereotype

July 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Byron Worsham

Excellent job Anderson!!! You always do such a wonderful job on your reports on or from Africa. I also enjoyed you greatly in New Orleans in 2005. Thanks for all of your efforts getting news and communicating with us all. Take care of yourself and pamper yourself as much as possible. If you don't, no one else will. All that travel is tough on the body. Welcome home dear brotha!!!

July 13, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  43. kofi abena

Anderson, this looks great but we missed the good site, food etc you had. Did you take pictures of the corporate buildings in Ghana? I hear the American Embassy is like a fortress!!! We didnt see the good streets in Ghana and all the recent development in Ghana. Accra Mall, the nice hotels you stayed, the good food and all that.
    We want more Anderson!!!!

July 13, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Amanda Sage

Great photos, Anderson (and photogs!) I hope you loved Cape Coast as much as I do! Did you enjoy the food and the people and the music?

July 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. osei tutu

Anderson,
    I love and appreciate your work but you should have also taken pictures of the nice places, these are akways the images that portray Africa. Not all places of Ghana are like this.

July 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Nana Kwame

Anderson....the pictures are very nice, am glade you went with the Prez. what do u think about Ghana since someone forgot that Ghana is the gateway to Africa...

July 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  47. K.Twum,NJ

Great job Anderson.However give us a little more in your subsequent editions.And also let people like Sarah Palin know that Ghana is a small country on the continent of Africa.

July 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Courtney

I enjoyed what i have seen thus far in Anderson's interview with Obama; I look forward to more of the interview tomorrow night!

July 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Stanley Ford

Anderson,
    Me-da-wa-se (thank you) as they say in Ghana.

Stanley

July 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Natasha

Great Job Anderson. I hope you enjoyed Ghana! And on a lighter note I hope you enjoyed our amazing food. And as all of us Ghanaians are saying, Ayekoo!

July 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm |