July 13th, 2009

Photo gallery: Anderson in Ghana

Program Note: The first African-American President visited Ghana this past week and Anderson Cooper tagged along for the journey. Here are a few snapshots from the trip. For more on the President's historic visit, tune in to AC360° tonight 10p ET.

AC360°

Anderson shooting a segment in Ghana.

President Obama and Anderson talk during their sit-down interview.

Anderson talks with Mrs. Imahkus Okofo, who used to live in the United States, at a former Slave Fortress on the Cape Coast of Ghana ahead of President Obama's visit to Ghana.

Anderson bends down to look at a poster welcoming President Obama to Ghana.

Anderson shoots a segment on the Cape Coast of Ghana.

Anderson and President Obama talk on the grounds of the Cape Coast Castle in Ghana.

Anderson walks by a parade celebrating the appointment of a new official on the Cape Coast of Ghana.

1. AC360 why?

AC360...Now I know why you work for CNN and the so-called western media. No one denies that Africa has her problems, to name a few, poverty, high child-mortality, relatively low life expectancy rate...etc. However, there are other good things that come out of Africa. There are the good, the bad and the ugly in every country in the world. Why do you not show also the nicer places in Ghana. You only show people who are struggling. Yes, it exists...no doubt but some are also doing well enough. Ghana has high-ways, nice residential areas, banking and commercial areas like any western or developed countries around the world....be fair...I lived in Texas and trust me if I had to show some parts of Texas to the world, I'm sure your so-called media will deny that. We see that in the movies when they visit Mexico and show the desert and ugly places but the moment they enter the US, they show the high-rises. Be fair and that's all I ask......

July 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. mc charna

Hey ac I see you went to my country what did you think og the people in ghana .... I am going to visit in aug 20 and how is the eye

July 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Ebenezer ODame

Anderson...! Welcome back home. Hope you had great fun. Ghana thanks you and your CNN crew that helped to make the coverage Obama's African trip a reality. You have helped shed a light positively on this small country [Ghana] and Africa as a whole. Not only does it educate the rest of the world in many ways, it most importantly bridges the gap between Africa and the rest of the world.
    As they will say in Ghana "AYEKOO" meaning Good Job.

July 13, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

Great photographs. I think my favorite are the ones of Anderson and Obama in the castle. I did wonder though in one of the last pictures what the white t-shirts with the blue on the front said that some of the men were wearing. Seemed to be a lot of them.

July 13, 2009 at 9:24 pm |
  5. Cheryl - Fonthill, Ontario CAN

Great photos! I'm looking forward to the interviews and segments regarding Ghana.
    For our honeymoon my husband and I took a month and backpacked through Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia – it was a dream come true!
    I absolutely love Africa and hope to take our boys there someday – backpacking of course.
    It's great to see CNN showing the human side of the African continent – I believe most of Canada & the US often have a negative impression of the countries of Africa instead of its beautiful scenery and people.

Great job all around AC360

July 13, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  6. Jennifer C (Atlanta, GA)

Indeed, you do look so happy to be out on assignment again. I am reading your book now, "Dispatches From The Edge." I know...where have I been, but nevertheless, it is truly a work of art. I love how raw yet full of soul and emotion your accounts are. I absolutely tune in to ac360 each night, but I must say that we are missing out when you are behind that desk! You should show off your arms more often!! 🙂

July 13, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  7. Linda

I was in Ghana two years ago and seeing the pictures brought back not only tears but a heartache to go back agian if possible. The Cape Coast castle reminded me of how much time has changed and yet how much stays the same.
    There is a quote I picked up while in Ghana and now see coming to pass.
    "No one knows when the hour of Africa's redemption cometh; It is in the wind, it is coming. One day like a storm it will be here. When that day comes Africa will stand together." Marcus G.
    For me I knew that my short stay would make a small impact on this country, yet now how quickly that can change with the President's visit and your insight.
    Mama Linda

July 13, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  8. itro

good pictures, and keep working out...

July 13, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  9. Melissa

Great pics Anderson. I never knew how big your guns were. You keep hiding then in a suit jacket!

July 13, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  10. Annie, Beijing, China

Good pics, Anderson. I love them.
    It seems that you really like Africa.
    I can't wait to watch your program.

July 13, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  11. Martin Kasigiri

These pictures bring back memories worth keeping. Memories good and bad imprinted in the back of my mind. The good life in Ghana. where you don't have much to worry about. And the bad of merciless and senseless trading of God's children. I love the pictures. Thank you cooper. Waiting for the interview.

July 13, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  12. Diane N.

Anderson, these photo's are fantastic. I really get the sentiment and sense of excitement buzzing from the festivities of pres. Obama's visit and as tired as you must have been you are beaming, literally glowing along with everyone else, what a successful journey indeed.

July 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  13. Sandy Hughes

What outstanding pictures. You always do such an outstanding job on all your journalistic tours. I love to watch you and I don't miss a day of watching CNN news and all my other favorites. It is great to be retired so you don't miss a thing on CNN news. ha ha God Bless

Sandy
    Guntersville, Alabama

July 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  14. Tracy Walstra

Anderson,

You look so calm and relaxed in your pictures, maybe thats just what you needed (a get-a-way from the USA). I am looking forward to the broadcast of your interview and hearing more about your trip. I am very proud of the work you do, the places you take us, and the exceptional journalism you provide. Keep up the great work, I can't wait for the next "trip" you take me on.
    With kindest regards,
    Tracy
    Alberta, Canada

July 13, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  15. Danielle

You have a great talent of appropriately representing cultures in in your repoting and for that I applaud you.
    Seeing how excited the folks in Ghana were to see him, how was the President taking it all in? WHat was his disposition like (in your opinion).
    Congratulations on you fine work.

Best Wishes ~ Danielle

July 13, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  16. Noel Anthony Haughey

Great Work Anderson Cooper, CNN up close and personal (photos and interviews) the way it should be broadcasted gathering important news and facts from around the World....thank you.

July 13, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  17. Beelab

Looking forward to watching the video from Barcelona, Spain!

Keep up your good work, Anderson!

July 13, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  18. alice

Nigeria may be a better place economically but Ghana is socially stable ( Peace between many different ethnics), solid democraty with three or more succesfull elections and a strong and growing economy. Good Choice for the president because it will send a message to other countries in Africa with so many wars and dictators.

July 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  19. Carleen

Welcome Back Anderson....look forward to AC 360 tonite. Catch ya then 🙂

July 13, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  20. ghenwa

i am eager to see your program tonight on CNN and after seeing these photos i cant wait anymore! common CNN , air AC 360 pls!
    Anderson, im sure you had an amazing experience in Ghana. i think Ghana deserves to be in the spotlight at long last. It is undoubtedly a country not only with a very rich historical background but a vibrant culture and numerous natural resources. i hope the people of Ghana benefit first and foremost from the recent discovery of oil, as they have not benefited much from all the other abundant resources their land is blessed with.

July 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  21. Maren in Oregon

No words. Oh, wait..there IS one. Ow!

July 13, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  22. Jennifer - Michigan

Very nice pics.

July 13, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  23. Isabel • Brazil •

Wow! Nice pictures!

July 13, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  24. daniel opoku acheampong

Olajide Ogundipe jr wat are u implicating here. Mr Obama chose Ghana for a better reason being the country has a nice democratic background unlike Nigeria and other countries in Africa.AC thanks for the comprehensive report you made about this trip and my country Ghana.Am really proud to be a Ghanaian.Long live Ghana and Africa as a whole and America.God bless us all.

July 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  25. Pilar Carreon

Love your pics. What is your experience like as a journalist
    in Ghana?

Pilar

July 13, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  26. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Wonderful pictures! So glad we can get a glimpse of what was seen. If someone could just create a 3D video, audio with smell-a-vision for those of us who will never be fortunate enough to travel like this.

And nice arms, woo!!

July 13, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  27. Abitola2

Great job Anderson. You are always out there covering the issues from all angles. I am happy you did concentrate your coverage only to Accra, the capital but also other towns and villages where poverty is ravaging. I am dieing for you to be named a development ambassdor to these places. Ayekoo...well done.

July 13, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  28. Adrienne

Great pics! will watch tonight. Thanks again!

July 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  29. Cathleigh

Anderson,
    I am looking forward to your interview with President Obama. I know you covered the events in Ghana with a fair and unbiased view. As a fellow journalist, you always make me proud!
    I am sorry to hear about your eye! I hope it feels better.
    Keep up the great work!

July 13, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  30. Stacy L

This is finally airing tonight! I'm looking forward to it. Great pics 🙂

July 13, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  31. Tina Johnson - Calgary, Alberta

Thanks for the insight into your trip to Ghana – I definitely enjoy to see you reporting "on the scene" international stories perodically. The pics with the President are delightful, you both look so relaxed.

July 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  32. Bob

I remember when Anderson was a journalist. Can he be THAY guy again?

July 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  33. Burgos, Stephanie

its great that Anderson looks so happy to be there and interacting with the locals. For this reason is why i believe Anderson is such great reporter

July 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  34. Shilpee Shrestha

Very nice pictures! I am wondering what the laugh was about in the "Welcome" poster 🙂

Welcome back!

Shilpee

July 13, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  35. SpicaSeven

Welcome back, Mr. Cooper and thanks for the great pics! I hope all is well with you, dear....take care, see ya later, peace!

July 13, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  36. Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada

Anderson what did you think of the living conditions of most kenians?

July 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  37. Deeznia

You've got to love Anderson! Good job

July 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  38. Carissa

Nice pictures. It looks like you had a good & interesting time there. I can't wait to watch AC 360 tonight! By the way, Welcome Back!!

Brampton, ON
    Canada

July 13, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  39. Fernando

I'm looking forward for the interview tonight.

I was reading on spider.com, in a blog a comment mention a spider that bite a US reporter... was that you? 🙂

July 13, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  40. wali

It is refreshing to see you out in the world again and yes I am going to say it outside of Michael Jackson, life moves on.......i notice lots of side shots was it because of the eye injury you twittered about?

July 13, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  41. Devin

Those are very nice pictures, and the cape looks beautiful. I can't wait to see the interview!

p.s. Your eye looks fine, despite the fact that you were attacked by a raging spider (or whatever it was) in your sleep =)

July 13, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  42. Samantha

aww! anderson. i love how happy you are!

July 13, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  43. Simon

good for you. You are one of the folks there at CNN who should NEVER be behind a desk! Not because you aren't good in a studio, but you seem so comfortable in the field...

July 13, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  44. ERIC ABOAGYE

Dear Anderson Cooper, I like the way you are passionate for Africans
    and the needy but I will like you also to show the beauty of Africa such as creative and some beautiful buildings in Africa , mostly in Ghana
    because it seems we are always under rate by only poverty and nothing good is in Africa . I always see only Places which seems very
    very shambles and unclean sight always shown to people in United States but the good and fine buildings and places are always
    exempted. So the tourists and people including Black Americans
    think that when they go back to Africa they will sleep on trees and even
    there is no Electricity in Africa.
    Show good things in Africa for them to know that not only Malaria,
    they could find overthere but also good things.
    MAY GOD BLESS CNN AND 360.

July 13, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  45. Isabel • Brazil •

Wow! Nice pictures!

Ghana seems to have a great atmosphere! A mix of joy, warmth and life ... I'm Brazilian and that kind of thing I really love it!

Anderson,
    you should always be outside the studio. Your physiognomy is another. You look more beautiful, young, happy! It's great!

July 13, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  46. bbbbbbbbb

Nice pics. did u try playing any football (soccer) w/ the kids? I bet they could take u down. 🙂

July 13, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  47. amoesiwa sharp

Mr. Cooper you make me proud to be Ghanaian. Job well done on showcasing Ghana. And, you seem to fit right in with the culture. Thank you and look forward to the full interview with President Obama.
    Also, I will be happy to break down any aspect(s) of the culture you still might have questions about.
    Ayekoo, Anderson!

July 13, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  48. Olajide Ogundipe, Jr.

Do you think Barack Obama will ever visit Nigeria, a better place economically than Ghana (in my opinion). Polictians like Bill Clinton and Susan Rice have paid visits to Nigeria to make one of the best country in the continent even better. The start of a African reform starts in Nigeria!

July 13, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  49. Jerelyne Williams

Anderson,
    Looking forward to the interview. Visited the same site in1992, or 1993, finding it very emotional. The historical affirmations unfolding at the sight each day with the Obamas reign supremly. It is means so much to have been there and feel the presence. And I am certain there were emotional moments for them, That being said, I posted a poem or what someone tagged as a ballad, about my emotional experiences of time visited the same site in either '92 or 93' Thanks so much for the visual revisit. I also have photos similar.

July 13, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  50. Lilibeth

I love these pictures! Anderson, you look so happy when you're out there reporting. Good for you! Welcome back.

Lilibeth