July 10th, 2009

We'll be hearing from Palin for a long time

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/07/07/palin.resignation/art.palin.interview.cnn.jpg caption="Sarah Palin's attorney said there is no legal reason that compelled her to resign as governor."]

Matthew Continetti
Special to CNN

"Everything changed on August 29 in politics in Alaska," Sarah Palin told NBC's Andrea Mitchell this week. The reference was to the day last year when John McCain announced that Palin, a 44-year-old mother of five who became Alaska's governor only in December 2006, would be his presidential running mate.

McCain's surprise pick altered the trajectory of the 2008 campaign - for a few weeks, at least - and launched Palin, until then an unknown political neophyte, on the path to global celebrity. But it also set in motion a chain of events that, a little more than 10 months later, would culminate in Palin's surprise announcement that she would leave her office effective July 26.

Before the day she joined the 2008 Republican presidential ticket, Alaskans saw Sarah Palin as a champion of ethics in government who had twice defeated oil interests, governed with Democrats in a bipartisan manner and brought down powerful members of her own party. She enjoyed record approval ratings, and her major initiatives had all been signed into law.

But the good times didn't last. By the following July, Palin's approval numbers had sunk to the mid-50th percentile, the coalition on which she governed had collapsed, and most of her time was spent combating a hostile media and frivolous ethics complaints.

What happened? The campaign.

Read more...

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. ronvan

PLEASE, just go away with McCain & shut up forever.

July 13, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  2. Annie Kate

If the charges and rumors against her are so far-out and baseless and not worthy of response then why does she keep responding? She seems to be the sort that must always have the last word on everything and its my experience its easy to take that sort of person and bait them continuously to where they can never get back on their "game". Even if you take away the lack of experience and knowledge for national office this impulsive have-to-have-the-last-word characteristic is a huge reason to not elect her to the Presidency. We cannot afford to have a person with that kind of temperament in the highest office of our country. It can't be just about HER – it has to be about the country. So far I've yet to see any evidence that she is cognizant of that fact.

July 10, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  3. Susan

I hope she achieves her goals-whatever they are! Power to the smart and beautiful. She can do more for the people without collecting a mere $125K a year. I hope she succeeds! Plenty of ugly, stupid people out there collecting a lot more, not doing much for the world. Give her a chance. She was treated unfairly throughout.

July 10, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  4. Lampe

Lisa: No not all politicians are treated the same. HRC and PRES.. Clinton were called "RACIST" by their own party. Obama told everyone to "Leave his family alone" and guess what they did. But Gov. Palin's family was fair game, and still are. Maybe just maybe what she is doing now is what is right for the people of Alaska. But, most of you on here will never admit to that. For some reasn, you all have so much hate in your hearts for her, and I just don't understand why. I would suggest that you all stop all this, and pay more attention to what is going on in Washington. Biden said " Obama and I misjudged to econmic problem." Maybe that is what you all should be more concerned about, instead of trying to think of some rotten things to say about Gov. Palin. And, someone said they "would leave the country if Gov. Palin was ever elected POTUS.: I wonder how many people felt the same way about Obama?

July 10, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  5. Lisa in CA

Um, don't all politicians – especially those who run for prez and vp – undergo this type of scrutinization? Doesn't it continue long after they have been elected or not? Didn't the GOP and Dems do this same thing to their own during the primaries?

Some understand that it's part and parcel of running for higher office. Others see the need to capitalize on their celebrity immediately. In the case of the latter, it's the American Way. I wish her the best ... but I won't be in line at her book tour.

July 10, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  6. Kalani

ughhhh. nooooo. No more. The young kid, Levi Johnston, said it right, "she ain't cut out for the job no more." Please pray.

July 10, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  7. Jenn

You go Sarah! Do what you need to do, you have a huge supportive base and that will continue to grow, especially as the fears from the left continue to grow!

July 10, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  8. Arachnae

Palin did nothing to deserve the acrimonious venom that has been flung at her non-stop since she first appeared onstage with McCain

Yes, she did. She accepted a nomination to a position she was manifestly unqualified for and then went out and conclusively proved it. But I'm not complaining – she's sinking the GOP with her.

July 10, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  9. BHO - fan

Amen Carrie, Amen! I couldn't have said it better myself. What you just discribed of a Godly Women isn't what I saw in Palin.

She sounds more like a woman that worship the "Family" at C.Street where Colburn, Ensign attend church. Very, very scary stuff!

July 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  10. charmichael

Ugh...every time I see Palin or hear her voice, I just want to stick my head in the oven and set it on "broil."

Palin rising to a position of power in the White House is as inconceivable to me as Bush winning a second term was in 2004–and that's what worries me. If most Americans lacked common sense back then, who's to say they would have it now?

I swear on my father's grave and on a stack of every sacred book from every single religion on Earth that if Palin becomes president, I will, without hesitation, leave this country.

July 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  11. Jason Asselin

At least she has a comic book to her name..

July 10, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  12. Beverly

Palin left so she could make tons of money in the "outside" world. By the way, Cindy – where are you – sticking up for Sarah???

July 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  13. Carol B. in MD

For now it's a *political flatline.* The MEDIA needs to put away it's defibrillators. Also, no matter what party the pundits are affiliated with, she'll soon be a private citizen,so happy trails! Let it GO.

July 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  14. M.W. Johnson

~I just don't understand the "love affair" with Palin and the GOP. People questioned if she had the experience to be VP of the United States...and now that she has "quit" her job as Governor of Alaska...I think it makes her even less qualified and brings into question if she any sense of responsibility. She is a quitter plain and simple. What she really needs to do is stay home with her family, give the time and attention that is necessary for a special needs child. In her spare time she should reconsider her stance on politics, family, being honest and hunting animals from helicopters. She won't do this however...she will write a book which she will call "Poor Me" and will tour making lots of cash, and complain endlessly that she and her family are victims. What a inspiring leader!

July 10, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  15. Ariwan / USA

Her speech when she resigned, was like I was listening to my nice At seventh grade reading her essay about the policy of local gov. Sarah P. why she has all the publicity ?. May be because she is good looking woman. kommom US media I remember when first Maria was on TV show every single person of the media talking about how X is her rear, kommon give a break. I like listening to Sarah P. she is interesting person. and I love to see her beautiful family.Sarah please keep your daughters away from politic you are destroying their innocent lives. I Sarah P. can kick all the fat cats from the house, and make changes and save USA $$$ from hands of all the Senators who dose know how to balance their account in the banks, and never bother to take a course in economy. till then we will be having $$ crisis. we will wait for you to make changes SARAH

July 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  16. Carrie

In my opinion, a "Godly woman" is one who is solely interested in loving God and loving others. I didn't see much of that from Palin on the campaign trail. Granted it was a stressful situation. But if we can't display grace and humilty and extend love toward others in the most stressful of situations, then us "Godly people" should not be on stage. I pray that she has a quiet and private future and is able to positively influence the people in her life. She is not someone whom I would want to continue as a public spokeswoman.

July 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  17. Cheryl

If the press stops showing up everytime she burps, she will soon go away. Enough of Sarah already. Let her do what she does best, point guard???,socker mom or fishermen.

July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  18. Nick Gervay

she is the phony of the phonies and her fans are so desperate to validate her. Isn't it wonderful that her daughter decided to give birth to her illegitimate child. Isn't it wonderful that her son is going into the military when a judge ordered him to do so because of his drug conviction. Where are these amazing family values? Whatever happened to 'just say no'? this adoration of this phony unscrupulous woman by the political right shows how they continue to suffer from their nervous breakdown and lack of vision. ignorance is bliss, I say.

July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  19. Lampe

Michael: you most certainly can ignore her. All you have to do is not listen to anything about her, and don't blog nasty remarks. You know sort of like the people who don't like Obama have been doing for months now. And, really if CNN, and others didn't keep trying to dig up dirt on her, maybe they would be out of a job. And, then that would look bad for Obama, more people unemployed and the unemployment rate would rise higher. And that would really be a shame because Obama, would look like he lied to all of us about The Stimulus Pakage, and we wouldn't want him to look like he's lying now. Would We?

July 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  20. Susan Lewis

America loves beautiful, emptyheaded fools of the female persuasion.

If she were male, she'd be dismissed out of hand, as a lightweight.

Like Dan Quayle.

Instead, she's held up as something to aspire to.

I'd rather be dead, thanks.

I aspire to be like Michelle, and like Hillary. (I'm older than MBam, and younger than Hil)

They have brains, and are not afraid to use them; they have minds of their own. They think for themselves, and make sense when they speak.

They make some men feel threatened, and some women feel inferior.

For this, they are mocked and vilified.

When will my country evolve??

July 10, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  21. May May

Yeah, we will be hearing from her but we won't be listening.

July 10, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  22. Michael C. McHugh

Palin really loves the publicity and the camera, doesn't she?. Most of us on the Left would be happy to ignore her, she she won't let us. She has to get herself in the news every day. I keep wondering when people will finally get tired of this latest instant celebrity fad.

July 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  23. Kimberly

Frivolous ethics complaints brought upon a Godly woman by an unGodly media circus. Thanks to you, CNN, Sarah Palin is now free to go around and be the woman she was intended to be.

The only thing you did to her was give her the world.

July 10, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  24. John Murphy

The environmentalists are sorry she's going. They use her high profile stands on subjects like hunting wolves from helicopters, and delisting species from the endangered species list to highlight their fund raising.

As long as she's in the spotlight, she draws more attention to the issue than would be otherwise possible. For instance, groups like the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund have used Palin's high profile support for aerial wolf hunting to raise awareness of the issue on a national level. the group saw donations roll in at an unprecedented level, but since Palin announced that she'll be resigning her post as governor of Alaska, the group will no longer be able to use attention grabbing headlines like “Help Stop Palin’s Wolf Slaughter: DONATE NOW” on their website to quite the same effect.

July 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  25. Margaret Alderman Ford

Yea! Sara Palin continues to show us how not to be. Those of us with CRS need
    a constant reminder to just read. Besides, Kathleen Parker and Tina Fay always need inspiration.

July 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  26. rthomasboyd

One more thing. A respectful salute to the memory of all the people they're responcible for killing as well.

July 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  27. rthomasboyd

OH and BTW they stole your wallet while they were tieing the poodle to you foot!

July 10, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  28. Joanne Pacicca

I was very impressed with her family. I, too, had had issues and blessings that were similar to her personal affairs and could identify strongly with her. However, she proved to be much more animated, nasty, trash talking and self-absorbed than she initial "looked on paper."

We cannot be rid of her too soon.

July 10, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  29. Dee

I don't think she'll be running for president, that is still up in the air. I do think she will become more involved in the RNC. Which I think is a good thing.

July 10, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  30. rthomasboyd

Please people! Please! Try to live in reality. If someone tries to tie a poodle to your foot and tell you its a new pair of shoes you should'nt just go along with it. Remember what you see is what you get. OPEN YOUR EYES PLEASE! We have to fix the mess caused by these Neo Cons (I have other less attractive, more accurate names I prefer) now and never let it happen again.

July 10, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  31. Hud

This is tortuous.

July 10, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  32. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Oh well we can hope! Not!

Donna Wood