July 10th, 2009

Too much Michael?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/09/jackson.investigation/art.jackson.2005.gi.jpg]

Bruce Weinstein, Ph.D.
Ethics Columnist for BusinessWeek Online

It’s not a shame that the news media are devoting so much attention to the Michael Jackson story.

It’s unethical.

Here’s why.

Democracy is possible only with a truly free press, not one hijacked by a gossip-hungry public. Yes, Michael Jackson was a phenomenally talented human being, and the fact that his art deeply affected millions of people around the world deserves respect. But news organizations are a public trust, and their obsession now with all things Jackson betrays this trust.

Every Jackson story takes up precious airtime that could be devoted to issues that have a more direct bearing on our future: an economy that’s still in shambles, a health care system in desperate need of repair, the G8 summit—aren’t these stories at least as important as speculating about who will get custody of Jackson’s children?

Here’s another serious problem with Jackson mania: physicians who discuss their treatment of Jackson violate doctor-patient confidentiality, and all media (not just news organizations) ought not to enable this. A person does not give up the moral right to privacy after he or she dies.

If you’re as fed up with this abdication of journalistic ethics as I am, you can express your feelings in the most powerful way possible in our TV-crazed culture.

You can simply change the channel.

Or, better yet, turn it off.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Bruce Weinstein • Michael Jackson
  1. pehi

"I hope MJ'S mother raise those kids" because they are a loving family".

July 10, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  2. Nancy

YES, every channel. Give us non-MJs a break!

July 10, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  3. ron johnson

How could god take MJ and leave all these evil news people here. Hope your closet is clean. Its a dog eat dog world. Sad

July 10, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  4. Carla

Agreed~

I hope that prescription drug abuse may be reported on and assist in inacting change when light is shed on the subject.

But frankly – it is none of my business who the childrens biological father is, what plays out in the custody battle, what is debt to income ratio was, or what his eating habits were.....

Stick to the news that can inform us of important issues and help us to know the issues so we can inact change and I will turn the TV back on.

July 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  5. Kendra

As a journalist, the amount of MJ coverage is insulting to my profession. The worst part of it is, there's never anything new. They just continue to recycle what's known to make up for the fact that there's still so much unanswered! I think, wait to report more until more is known!

There is too much going on in this world and too many people in this world to completely obsess over one man.

Yes, he was talented. But he was also only a person. Not a larger-than-life god. Now he's gone, and as far as I can see it's not the end of the world. It's time to lay him to rest with the respect he deserves, and not to dwell on it any further. He would have wanted that anyway.

July 10, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  6. diane

I wish everyone would let Michael go now . Everything that is now being brough up about him is just going to hurt the children now. Michael is gone . And about him being bury at Neverland is wrong. He left there because he did not fell like home any more. He left that life behind so why bring him back when he walked away from there.

July 10, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  7. Carissa

I don't thinks it's too much. It's part of being reporter and working with a news station. Because it's not just anyone's death, it's Michael Jackson's death, there is so much surrounding his death, and once things unravel and settle down you will get more stuff from around the world. There's always news about this and that, but I think everyone should respect that this is a death of a person that gave a lot to the world.

In a case like this, no one is worried about doctor-patient confidentiality. It's a death investigation, and the LAPD need to know about the relationship with the doctors and Jackson. Like I said before, part of being a journalist/reporter, is you REPORT things.

Like you said in your article, if you don't like all the coverage, don't watch it. It gets as simple as that. I don't know why people are making such a big deal about this. If you're interested, watch it, if not, don't!

July 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  8. Claudia

It´s really incredible the media dont live alone the issue, now they want to make news about those kids. the media dont have any respect for nothing, i just change the channel because we can not give opportunity to this people. and i will keep doing it leave MJ alone and his family.

July 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  9. Kiru

I am a HUGE MJ fan and I agree.

The memorial is over.

If there are ANY real facts, or real NEWS to come out, cover that..

Otherwise, let his family mourn in peace and stop the mind numbing speculation on TV

July 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  10. Beverly

To Melissa: Princess Diana died in a car accident (chased by the ever-present paprazzi). She did much more for mankind than MJ ever did. Elvis?? He is the King.....Sadly, it will turn out that MJ's death was probably self-inflicted because of his (well known) drug addiction. It's also said that ANY criticism of MJ is greeted with yowls of outrage – . . it was be funny if not so sad. I've been saying for 2 weeks – enough coverage of MJ. You listening Larry King????

July 10, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  11. johnallantateiii

i agree that there has been too much
    mjackson coverage, but disagree with
    mr. weinstein on the idea that dea people
    have any right.

let there be lie detectors everywhere.

the truth will set us free.

July 10, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  12. *Beenie*

Can't unring the bell. The air coverage, which brought those stations HUGE viewership and sponor exposure, has come and gone. Coverage of Michael's passing became an addiction, satisfied the hunger for information, sent clear messages about drug dependency and abuse and love for family and children, and provided emotional closure for all his fans. I think the news stations did a phenomenal job balancing coverage, insight, and emotional healing. For those viewers who felt the coverage was excessive and over the top, they could have simply changed the channel and moved on.

July 10, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  13. pat w

Too much Michael?? Never. more than an icon. more than a distant celebrity. Yes he was in the eye of the lens and at the non-mercy of the gossip hounds. "they wont go where you go" michael. judge me for my punctuation, for my non-complete sentences. I don't care. I don't have to be perfect anymore. studied journalism in school, learned to write to express emotion, but found that I didn't want to lose my soul to "the business of what sells" -keep your ratings, keep your publicity, -I don't care, I can write, I can simply write, and this is a gift given from allah, god, jesus, buddha, take your pick... what suits you is what you will believe in, in the end... and I thank the spirits for giving back to me simply this – the ability to express self in words – I may be pennilous and no one may ever purchase a word of mine. I don't care. I'll write it on a stone for a snail to read and laugh and roll over and feel the sun and the rain and believe. This is how michael lived, that though They may take him down, the spirits raised him up, and I say, michael you shine on you fancy diamond. Yes there are people dying in battle, there are docs getting rich from others pains, tabs exploiting heresay and innuendo for the almighty dollar, -and MJ voiced them and danced and showed us OUR world through music. I am more because he lived. Strike me down, judge me, funnel your lies, and still I will honor Michael because he Loved a simple kind of love, one which was often misunderstood in the camera's eye, it's so easy to pick apart a life of another- isn't it- how about before you condemn michael yet again- or scream at me with your fingertips yet again, how about looking into the mirror and seeing what you yourself may need to get humble about -what you yourself may need to get to your knees and pray about- we all have pain, we all have rugs we hide under.... if anything MJ's death has made me examine my own, and given me much to have grattitude for today, .... Love You MORE, michael. pat.

July 10, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  14. shelby

leave it alone stop dragin up history and dont jump to conclusions bout him eaither . ok. he was the greatist man alive thats all people need to know

July 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  15. Holly

MJ was an icon, a living legend/ No matter how people felt about him-there are those that admired him and have felt sorry for him
    We might be able to learn from his early demise. Money and fame is as wonderful as some people believe!
    I think stories covering Michael Jackson should dominate every news station until both of the boys who accused him of molestation come forward and tell the real truth. This is a hugh part of the pain that caused his addiction that eventually killed him. That along with the help of unethical doctors who did not heed the “First, to do no harm” oath they took. I think everyone involved who aided his addiction should be charged for killing him. This is a life that will live on forever in our hearts and is gone to soon!

The public is grieving & remembering him for what he is known most for, being an innovative highly creative cat. it’s part of the grieving process

July 10, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  16. Kristine

Amen, Dr. Weinstein.

July 10, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  17. Karen H

I thought the coverage reached a particularly low point when Randy King shared the gory details (I will not repeat them) of Michael Jackson's physical appearance after his death. That was simply too much, particuarly on the day of his memorial service. Everyone, even Michael Jackson, deserves some privacy after death, and Randy's reporting, was nothing short of tacky. It was a low moment for CNN, which seemed more like the Enquirer, and this information added nothing to the discussion about how/why Mr. Jackson died.

July 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  18. Geline

Yes, maybe there's too much of this Michael Jackson story. Maybe the information regarding the investigation about the cause of his death should be limited to family members for now.
    Important issues, if i may add, include what's happening in Iran, and North Korea. These should be given focus too.

July 10, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  19. William

Off Topic Sorry Big problem with Obama's Geisingers model! Appt taking and triage do not communicate. I am in that system, I got FIRED FROM THIS SYSTEM? I Will need ER by Monday. I want my family doctor back.

July 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  20. Michelle McDonald

I like many others felt devastated by MJ's untimely death. I am 34 and this man has been around my whole life. Regardless bad or good news about Micheal he was there. His music was so outstanding that My boyfriend and I often downloaded and still listened to it on our trips and driving. The music jus has such great meaning and sound. I was taking in everything Micheal Jackson after he died. The media's job is to cover whats the latest news and events that we the people are interested in and alot of us are interested in Micheal Jackson and want to hear about his kids and whats the latest in the aftertmath of his death. If u dont like it keep your remote control closer to you so u can get up and change the dial like everyone else who doesnt want to see a channel.

July 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  21. Snoop12

After the memorial service, the media gave reason why Michael's children had to veiled and almost imprisioned in their own home. The media has done and said everything they could to smear and degrade these three beautiful and intelligent children. HLN has been terrible, especially Nancy Grace. People should be very careful (especially when you have chilren of your own) of how they attack children especially those who have a guardian Angel. Everyone of those in the media who has attached these precious ones should read Matthew, Chapter 18 verses 5 & 6. Nancy Grace has children of her own and should know better. Michael Jackson deserve to rest in peace and all who prevent this from happening has put a curse on their own lives. ..SELAH

July 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  22. carol

to much michael??..well i know he is big news but enough already,,let him go and bury him,,,and lets get on with life,,

July 10, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  23. Jennifer

Well, I wonder why CNN is covering so much of Michael Jackson. Is it up to the reporters?
    I agree with Marilyn May – there is not much to be extensively said on our failing economy, on America's health system in need of repairing. Do any of you think that you could sit through a two-hour news program on the economy? From previous experience, it would be repetitive. We all understand what's wrong with the economy, we all understand that SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE. It's not breaking news, is what I'm saying. With MJ, it's breaking news. There are more investigations and more details coming up by the day, and this is why the public wants to know about MJ. He was a person who actually had the respect of billions around the world, somebody who directly influenced people all over the world, not some politician who really doesn't make a difference in our lives if he lives or dies. Politicians are politicians. But MJ made a real difference in our lives, he influenced HISTORY and POP CULTURE and the record books and the lives of children and the impoverished all over the globe, and that is why I'd rather be devoted to MJ than the G8 summit or the health care system.
    I'm not being disrespectful to all those other worthy stories out there that need mentioning, but I'm just saying this coverage makes sense.
    However, I can't help thinking if MJ would have really wanted all this coverage... when I think about what he would have wanted or what he is probably thinking right now, I get a little sad inside. Maybe the media should focus on the positive. I wish that Larry King or Anderson Cooper would dedicate a whole show purely to MJ's music and career...showing old clips, his awards, etc. That would be something interesting and nostalgic for all of us to watch.

July 10, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  24. Krasi

Completely agree! It's not that what happened wasn't a shock and the loss is great, but at this point we should leave the family alone. I believe that because MJ was trying to be so private when alive, now following his passing, the media is trying to invade that well-kept privacy. It is true, though, that if there were no people to watch this news, it wouldn't be on every single day.

July 10, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  25. Maria Isabel

It isn't excessive, the coverage on Michael Jackson!

Not every day that someone as he appears!
    Not every day that someone revolutionizes the music, dance, art!
    Not every day that a person with a move so paradoxical world!
    Not every day that we lose someone like him!

MIchael Jackson deserves!

Anderson,
    Please, continue your reporting about Michael! lol ...

July 10, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  26. Beth

While I have watched much of the Michael news because I was afftected by his passing.

I do agree that he needs to be left alone now.

His doctors should not be telling his business just because he is gone. It becomes gossip and not news when we are seeing the doctors , "friends" and others talk about his problems. They were his problems. We all have them.

I also agree that Elvis and Diana got lots of press as well. Why is everyone so anoyed with the coverage.

Michael touched many lives and those who are grieving just need a way to make sense of a loss. Like it or not the media and internet bring people together and help to give some sense of community on a larger level.

We all need closure. sometimes that comes from talking and sharing.

July 10, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  27. Maria Isabel

SHOT’s tip:
    Studio Brussel, aiming to pay tribute to Michael Jackson, has created a tribute-site where many people send their home videos doing the Moonwalk.

People from all over the world are contributing to the page. It has all kinds of Moonwalk. That’s incredible!

ETERNAL MOONWALKER is very fun and is all with AC360!

July 10, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  28. ERIC MEYERS

Well CNN i WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR POSTING MY REPLY ABOUT M.J. REAL CLASS C.N.N AGAIN THGANKS ALOT. E.M

July 10, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  29. Solid

We live in a world that is so fast that people think if something like Michael pass on, we should put it in a 5 minute commercial and be done with it. Sorry, stupid. The world needs time to grief. We wish we know some of these people so when they pass away , we should only through them in a ditch and be done with them. May be they all think they are immortal, they will not pass on. Listen, the G-8, economy, health care were there when we were born and it still will be there when we are all gone. No one is going to fix it. They will only patch it up and leave it to bleed in another era. That is what politics is all about. So deal with it. We loose someone special in our lives and we are going to let the grieving process take its course. So if you are a manican like Pelosi, short up and think what if someone you love so much, suddenly pass away after you saw them the day before with perfect health. Wouldn't you want to grief? What are we? I also see that Cafferty of all people who is not young himself in CNN, the day of Michael's funeral, he told Wolff who was trying to cover Michael’s funeral, "could we move on?" And Wolff (a smart man) said to Caferty, there is always tomorrow, we can do it tomorrow. Such people think that death is for only one person that they are immortal. Guess what? Unless, they know something we all do not know, we are all going the same route. My question to these people is, would you not want someone to take their time and recognize your existence and tell everyone to remember you were here? So it would be okay if people do it for you but it is not okay for people to honor others. You know, you are going to live with it or check out. Go to the forest and hide because there is no place in the world that you are going to go that Micheal's death is not known. Even in the forest, I guarantee you, even the trees and the animals will remind you of Michael. He was a nature lover. You know about it with his animals, his charities, etc. Unless you know someone that did more for others and who deserve this kind of griefing process, shut up and deal with it. HIS LEGACY IS HERE TO STAY, SO DEAL WITH IT.

July 10, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  30. Justin

You would be deluded to think that the media is just going to up and stop talking about Michael Jackson. His story, from the cause of his death, estate battle, to the custody of his children will make for national news. News at its most basic definition is current events. The MJ spectacle will diminish over time, meanwhile, I'd much rather hear about the accolades and music of an American artist then the depressing coverage of an oversees war. Give the American people a break.

July 10, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  31. Michelle

After reading some of the comments i can see i and the others here in St Augustine are not alone. CNN has seriously damaged reputation to the point that people only turn it on for brief moments to check to see if MJ is still on it. Many of us have just stopped watching it till the whole MJ insanity stops. The state of florida is so the cliche' melting pot of immigrants from mexico, honduras haiti, urkraine, iran india, europe jamacia. People were and are still so disgusted. We could only think this gave a local boost to the newspapers because it was the only place we could get the news. A few american Hondurans in jacksonville were so disgusted they set up a live stream with their families back home in order to find out what was going on. We are not saying CNN was the only one but they are the only one that is still continuing it 24/7

July 10, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  32. nancy patton

Yes, too much Michael. He was a fabulous entertainer and clearly made significant changes to the world of music and dance. He did not stop world hunger, or wars or make any significant changes to society. Enough! I love the moon walk as much as the next person, but I have to wonder what kind of celebration we will have for the man that actually walked on the moon?

July 10, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  33. Cheryl Williams

I am thrilled at the coverage of Michael Jackson's untimely death. The coverage is no more than is given to any great person. How long has Elvis been dead and the media continues to unearth "new details" or unreleased music; Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Martin Luther King, Princess Diana, just to name a few? These were all great individuals who left remarkable impressions on the world.
    Considering Michael's childhood, fame, allegations of child molesting, "wierdness", it is absolutely incredible that he was still able to write music, plan an amazing comeback tour, and perform.
    I am thankful for the positive press he's receiving- he has certainly had more than his share of negative.

July 10, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  34. Vickey

Need to do report if someone is abusing drugs and body what do you do? Do you call police and report it or while they are asleep call ambulance and send them to hospital? What can a family or friend do if michael would not commit himself to rehab?

July 10, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  35. Stephen Bolger

Since the death of Michael Jackson all media have talked or written about Michael Jackson because he is a topic of conversation that so many are interested in, and to many the only thing. That being said, there has been far too much time spent talking about Michael Jackson since he died. He was an entertainment legend, and deserves the respect of so much attention but it went too far and still is. It is also a big shame that so much positive attention has only come when is life is over. Media enabling the public discussion with physicians about Michael Jackson's health is completely unnecessary. I do not think the public needs to hear about every part of a celebrities life dead or alive. The entertainment media especially tries to drive the notion into peoples minds that the stories they have to tell, have to be heard and they will chase any story and forget moral right or privacy because without a story there would be no show, and no show means no money. I would at least expect the news media to understand that there are bigger issues than Michael Jackson, he is the past, the bigger issues are about our future. I think there should be a balance, but because so many want to hear about Michael Jackson, the news media will follow. It is a shame.

July 10, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  36. no one

I think this everyday thing about michael jackson is getting a little much. What about Farrah Facett nobody heard anything about her for days like they are on the jacksons. I do realize that he is the king of pop but elvis presley was the king of rock and i think he is more of an icon than jackson. And for changing the channel on the tv you cant cause he is on almost every channel enough is enough i pay to watch my shows on tv not jackson every day.

July 10, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  37. Shilpee Shrestha

I am not amongst these ppl! I never complained!

P.S. – I love your show!!!

Austin, TX

July 10, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  38. Gretel

I could not agree more. My TV has been turned off for a week. Thankfully, we have online news where we're able to select REAL news stories.

July 10, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  39. Rina

Yes, please leave Michael alone already... let him rest in peace!

July 10, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  40. Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada

I side w/ the rest of the world, ENOUGH M.J.

July 10, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  41. Isabel

Completely agree.

July 10, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  42. Stacy

Yes, yes, and yes! People in news often separate themselves from their profession. CNN, and AC360 specifically, are fond of letting the viewer come to their own conclusion. That's fine and dandy. The news shouldn't be telling viewers what to think.

However, whether they like it or not, they are telling viewers what to think about and there's an unbelievable responsibility that comes with that. Unfortunately, the media seems to be failing in this regard in a most shameful fashion. CNN has made it more than clear that they give priority to the tabloid aspects of a pop singer's life over the lives of our troops or any other number of more important stories out there. Unethical.

Dr. Weinstein also makes a great point regarding doctor-patient confidentiality. I'll go one further and say, please, no more Dr. Drew. I'll admit to missing his spots on the show due to my boycott of all Jackson media coverage, but I've seen him on for similar situations. I have nothing against the man personally, but the fact of the matter is you can't have on someone like him and not have the majority of the segment be speculation. Unless of course he treated Michael, which brings us back to doctor-patient confidentiality.

I think Michael Jackson was an amazing entertainer. My disgust with the media coverage has nothing to do with the man and everything to do with what Dr. Weinstein has outlined. I have already taken his advice of changing the channel. I guess nothing is more important than ratings.

To those people at 360 who hate this coverage as much as I do, but have no power: I feel for you and hope CNN finds their integrity soon.

July 10, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  43. Vickey

I am retired nurse and saw the consumption of Xanax and that much would cause overdose or organ damage. What was he thinking?if all this is true sounds like he was suicidal

July 10, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  44. Joel Weinberg

Right on!!
    Dr. Weinstein hit the mark. I hope every journalist and the management of news organizations around the United States read this article.

"Professional" journalists are taught in college to define "what is news". You don't just give the audience what they want.

The sad part is that these so called "news channels" have a wonderful opportunity to deliver "the news" in-depth to the public. The only place to go for "the news" is the one-hour "News Hour" on PBS. It's about "the news" on that program not "the ratings".

July 10, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  45. Dyanna Pappalardo

Anderson...I totally agree with your article. I just can't understand why Michaels personal life is more important in the media than the real issues that are affecting americans everyday. These doctors want their fifteen minutes of fame off of Michael, just to make the media even more hungry on mystery of his death. The family should sue every doctor but if they do its millions of more dollars wasted and even more media time, which is what news want. Just honor the family by finally leaving Michael Jackson alone PLEASE have they no heart... They will reap what they sow. Trust!

Dyanna Pappalardo ( Staten Island NY)

July 10, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  46. symran

Just when I was about to take you off my following for Twitter. I follow 14 people by choice. I was wondering if what has been said about you was an untruth – mainly that you, Anderson Cooper, keep to the facts. I was beginning to wonder about that when the this article came through you. The mood of the memorial sevice for Michael Jackson should have remained which was about Micheal's art helping to "make the world a better place"; with the mood of the memorial giving hope for humanity coming together. Since then, I have definitely gone back to realizing that it is journalism, tv news, coverage, etc. that definitely is the negative cause in the world that should be spiritual, truth, honesty, full of virtue. Interesting who the culprit is; also, of interest is of the doctors, who are so unethical, breaching confidentiality, etc. Yes, they should lose their licenses, if they even have credentials. Interesting too is that humanity would shift from wanting sensationalism if it was not there. And who provides that, again? However, if journalism turned to virtue, the world would again shift to be a better place. It takes only one to take the first step. Please note, I do not watch news, and TV rarely by choice. I love Twitter and have chosen CNN and NY Times to read highlights and you Anderson Cooper.

July 10, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  47. marybeth

I have been without TV for the last 2 wks. and I'm glad. I could not agree with you more. Privacy is the right of all human beings &the media's obsession with destroying that privilege is simply wrong

July 10, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  48. Scout

I am only tired of hearing lies about MJ' drug use. Doctor Murray says he didn't know what MJ was taking. MJ must have been given a physical for the O2 concerts to have taken place. Why was he given a clean bill of health if he was so full of drugs? A blood test would have revealed these problems months ago. I believe his case should be a homicide. No rational person would take a drug to stop your heart just to cure simple insomnia (which lots of people have). If anything MJ would probably not be able to sleep because he was so excited about the concerts and someone finally willing to take a chane on him again. I believe they had to admit diprivan was in his system after the family want a 2nd autopsie. This might have to do with his ATV catalog

July 10, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  49. maria

MJ was an icon....no matter how people felt about him... many admired him and felt sorry for him....either way, maybe something can be learned from his early demise.. Money and fame is not everything as some people believe...We can learn from these sad situations.

July 10, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  50. Emma

I read and watched nearly every article concerning his art, talent, his blackness, his relationship with his father etc
    But none on his children, drug intake, blabla,bla, this is none of my business, I have never read them when he was alive and will certainly not now that he is dead.
    He has not been murdered so let him rest in peace now.
    I am one year younger than Michael Jackson, I was more than happy to be able to watch all the oldies but I am not clicking on articles on what I consider his private life.

July 10, 2009 at 10:49 am |