July 10th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Out of Africa

[cnn-photo-caption image="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/10/untitled-1.copy.jpg" caption="Anderson explores Ghana and the 'door of no return' tonight on 360º."]

Anna Duning
AC360º Intern

Anderson is in Ghana where President Obama arrived just a couple hours ago. Tomorrow, Anderson will sit down with the President for an exclusive interview. Tonight, we’ll look at why Mr. Obama chose to visit the West African nation. Anderson joins us from the capital city Accra to share the excitement on the streets. And, he’ll take us inside a centuries-old trading post, a dark and eerie place where African slaves were kept before being shipped across the Atlantic.

We also have new developments on the Michael Jackson death investigation. A friend of Michael Jackson for 30 years says the singer was so weak and frail, he shouldn’t have had to prepare for 50 sold-out concerts in London. Concert prompter AEG says Jackson passed a five-hour medical exam. The friend is also sharing new details on what he says was Jackson’s addiction to prescription drugs.

And, we have a 360º follow from Gary Tuchman. He’s traveled to a small town in Mexico where two Americans who were members of polygamist sect have been shot and killed by drug cartels this week. The victims’ families share their emotional story. They talk about how 25 commandoes in camouflage ran up to their house - and the chaos and heartache that followed.

Also tonight, Dr. Sanjay Gupta teams up with activist and lawyer Erin Brockovich for a stunning report out of a small town in Tennessee. In December, one billion gallons of oil mixed with toxic sludge spilled over 300 acres. It’s the largest environmental disaster in U.S. Yes, bigger than the Exxon Valdez disaster. Who’s to blame? And, what’s being done to clean up the mess? We’re keeping them honest.

From Ghana to L.A. to Mexico to Tennessee, we give you a 360º view of the world tonight. See you at 10pm ET!

Filed under: Africa • Michael Jackson • President Barack Obama • The Buzz
  1. Raymond Yankey Blay

I just cannot wait to see your piece on AC 360 on monday. You are one of the best in the cable business, and CNN is the BEST. I am a Ghanaian, and I watch your program faithfully. Erica Hill your co anchor is doing agreat job. In all I am glad to see AC 360, and CNN show Africa, and Ghana specifically in a postive light.
    Thank you !!!

July 12, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  2. Anthony Edet

Thank you Anderson for taking the pains to inform and educate the world on issues taking place around the globe. As you are covering the visit of President Obama to Ghana, I think it is necessary for the world community to come together and put up international body to help African countries conduct free and fair election to bring stability and security to this region. As the world is mount ing presure on Iran and North Korea to stop nuclear proliferation, let the world come together and sign understanding for international body to conduct elections in African countries for twenty years. Thank you.

July 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Steve from Toronto

Hi,

Re: President Obama's visit to Cape Coast Castle

Viewers who are interested in learning more about this wretched historical place might want to get hold of "The Door of No Return: The History of Cape Coast Castle and the Atlantic Slave Trade" by William St. Clair (2006). I read this book a year ago and found it to be a very insightful biography of England's role in the slave trade. I learned, for example, that the money used were coins embedded with "Elephant and Castle" logos, which was the official currency/code of arms of Cape Coast Castle. Worth a read. Steve from Toronto.

July 11, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  4. Mun

Hello Intern,

I want your job.

July 11, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  5. Abigail amoah

thank you cnn .
    my name is Abigail Amoah and originally form Ghana. i know people watching your show from Ghana will let them know where they are from with the vist to the castal . Am really happy the he chose Ghana. enjoy yor vist .
    Abigail Amoah

July 11, 2009 at 6:44 am |
  6. Ben Schneider

This is great moments to its hights about the history of this country Ghana (West Africa) and the U S A, and I Hope it's going to add to the knowledge of many.

July 11, 2009 at 5:04 am |
  7. Kweiki

AC, I've enjoyed the coverage so far. Don't forget that Kofi Anaan – the seventh Secretary General of the United Nations (1997 to 2006) is Ghana's son..

July 11, 2009 at 4:56 am |
  8. Benoni Sowah

As an African( Ghana ) living in America, I am proud to have the sitting president of America is visiting my country for our strong commitment to democracy.
    Anderson i look forward to you usual objective reportage.I love you.

July 11, 2009 at 4:28 am |
  9. Habib Sadid

A question for President Obama

Dear Anderson: Thank you for your excellent AC360 program and for arranging the tomorrow's interview with President Obama. I would like to pose a question for President Obama about "The New Order for the World". With the advent of Internet,, satellite TV, and cell phone, people in developing countries can no longer be kept at dark. The days of US backed monarchies will come to end sooner or later and the Iranian 1979 revolution will spread in the Middle East. With this brief background, my question to President Obama is: Is he going to bring a New Order to the world where US will support people-based governments literally? This would certainly improves US image and support among the people in the Middle Eastern countries significantly; otherwise, US will lose all those countries.

Best,
    HS

July 11, 2009 at 3:57 am |
  10. esther evelyn

Anderson i wolud like to thank you for your effort to travel to Ghana with President Obama and expect to see more from Ghana on monday.But i want to correct you like others before me have commented you need to educate your viewers that you are in Ghana not Africa because it has come my attention that most people here are ignorant they think Africa is a country.Besides this is not the first African country Obama has travelled to remember he went to Egypt.

July 11, 2009 at 3:33 am |
  11. Michael Adjei

Hi Anderson

I am a Ghanaian residing in New Jersey and want to welcome you and CNN to my home away from home. Ghanaian hospitality is second to none in the world and I hope you will come away from your visit in agreeance with this reputation. Have a safe trip and as they say in Twi, "Akwaaba"

Michael Adjei
    Piscataway, NJ

July 11, 2009 at 3:26 am |
  12. kingsley

Anderson, thank you for the reports from Ghana. You made me miss my country .Isn't it an awesome place to see? Well enjoy whilst there, it's a friendly country. I know you are an honest reporter, so you will come back with positive reports. Say hello to the President & his Family.

July 11, 2009 at 3:17 am |
  13. Robert

I just got back to Sacramento, having visited Accra and Cape Coast Castle last week. It is astonishing that in the part of the castle where the powder magazine was located, I still could smell the explosives. Visiting the dungeons reminded me of the conditions I saw at the Terezen concentration camp, only worse.

One question I'd like Anderson to pose to the President is to ask why there is no tax treaty between the United States and Ghana. The absence of a treaty imposes difficulties on businesses to avoid double taxation of income.

July 11, 2009 at 3:11 am |
  14. kingsley

Anderson, than you for the reports from Ghana. You made me miss my country .Isn't it an awesome place to see? Well enjoy whilst there, it's a friendly country. I know you are an honest reporter, so you will come back with positive reports. Say hello to the President & his Family.

July 11, 2009 at 3:06 am |
  15. pistolpete

In looking to the past with Obama's visit to the slave ports in Ghana..let's not forget that today we still have 800k people world wide being trafficked into slavery each year.

While in Africa Obama needs to speak to those Afirca nations that are failing their people and still allowing them to be exploited .

Africa American activist leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson need to need to shift some of their focus from domestic issues and help those from that can't help themselves after all Africa is the home of their forefathers .

Slavery dates as far back as human history and existed in every culture.

African slave traders like Tipo Tip sold millions of slaves for export to the new world via the British, Dutch and Portuguese.

It's somewhat ironic that today the new world is slave free but in some Africa nations slavery still exists.

July 11, 2009 at 3:00 am |
  16. kingsley

AC 360 thank you for your work & all CNN crew. With your honesty reports that i've followed throughout the war, i believe you will give same coverage from Ghana.Iam very happy you are there, hey! Anderson try and ask for resh coconut & orange they are very refreshing. Take care.GOD Bless you.

July 11, 2009 at 2:56 am |
  17. Jacqueline

Question for tomorrow for President Barack Obama

The stories of the people that have visited the door of no return and absorbed the penetrating anguish that seeps throughout their souls with their ancestor’s angst are paralyzing. We must never forget the sacrifice and struggle that these human beings endured, just like every Jewish household teaches their history that is horrifically hollow yet cleansing to caress.

How would you as president of a country that history was formed on the backs of thousands of enslaved African human beings peruse, acknowledge and instill another perspective to their history, our history?

Sincerely,
    Jacqueline S.
    Los Angeles, CA

July 11, 2009 at 2:55 am |
  18. NSM

The commentary by Donna Brazile on her experience in Ghana at the holding place for slaves before they were loaded onto boats was just extroardinarily powerful and brought me to tears.

July 11, 2009 at 2:45 am |
  19. Ama

Hey Anderson, bravo, for going to our peaceful country Ghana. We always watch your show and think you're doing a great job. Hope you enjoy being in Ghana. Love from California.

July 11, 2009 at 2:41 am |
  20. Ekow Arhin

Hi Anderson

I'm praying that we don't see tears coming out from President Obama in the middle of his tour at the Castle. My Dad is from Elmina (Cape Coast) and have been at the castle once, I don't want to see what my Great Grand parents went through again, we have move forward.

Ekow is name the people of Cape Coast gives to any boy born on Thursday, tell me the day of the week you were born and I will tell you your Ghanaian Name

Hope you enjoy your stay

July 11, 2009 at 2:38 am |
  21. Lucinda

I am so glad that the President is there. I wonder how he feels there? Does he feel some kind of connection to that place?

July 11, 2009 at 2:13 am |
  22. Eddie Mabz

Just wanted to correct something i heard on you show last night Anderson, President Obama has been to Africa before in Egypt which is in Africa. Your sit in anchor erroneosly said that President Obama has never visited Africa as a sitting President.

July 11, 2009 at 2:04 am |
  23. wayne peterson

I am glad to see you sit down with the presidentand dicuss the country were I am from

July 11, 2009 at 2:02 am |
  24. bernard rollins

anderson......much respect due to you as you bring it live from the mother land no one could of done it better than cnn......next stop anderson is guyana south america......anderson keep it up your foot steps are changing the way media does its work........much respect anderson and stay strong i salute you from the city of newark.

July 11, 2009 at 2:00 am |
  25. Amadou

Looking forward to the interview.I am just hoping that there will not be no reportage based on negativity but the incredible work that has been done in Ghana and others African countries lately. We want to see more positive things shown from Africa.

For those who want to have a better sense of the impact of the visit of slave castle please refer to Clinton, Powell and Rice visit to Senegal.

thanks

July 11, 2009 at 1:48 am |
  26. Jackie Cole

We have sent missionaries to Ghana for a long time. I communicated with hundreds by mail myself. We helped them in as many ways as possible,by rebuilding, sending supplies, and whatever other needs we could fulfill. I myself have long since gone to other causes such as painting schools in Guatamala and supporting a child so that he could go to school. Then there was the Lakota Indian tribe in Kyle, South Dakota. We helped do some remodeling on a day care and gutted a building so it could be made into a home for abused and homeless children. I was supposed to go to Panama this year to teach them English, but couldn't. Erica is fantastic and you are such a good reporter and do such a good job in whatever part of the globe you are traveling in. It is admirable to report these things to the world, for the world is watching.

July 11, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  27. Bob

Unlike his predecessor who said Africa would not be a priority in his administration, President Obama has already shown in his short time in office that he has the ability to not only improve the relationships with African countries, but also with the rest of the world!

July 11, 2009 at 1:32 am |
  28. Bob

Unlike is predecessor who said Africa would not be a priority in his administration, President Obama as already shown in his short time in office that he has the ability to not only improve the relationship with African countries, but also with the rest of the world!
    Bob

July 11, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  29. Mams C'say

Hey Anderson,
    It is great that you are in Africa and also to have gone to Elmina (slave house) in exposing to the world of the horrors that had transpired in that building which was built by Europeans, and not by Africans. I am a West Afrian in America but was shocked and embarrassed when I saw your visit to Elmina where slaves were held before they were transported to the 'New World' as we called it in high history. Slavery and slave trade, true was one of the biggest crimes against the black people and my purpose of writing this is to provoke atleast an understanding that would greatly help some African-Americans to better understand the truth behind the origin of slavery.

It would be great if you (Anderson) could engage Ghanian universities history professors to sensitize the people how the slave trade was executed. We the black Africans in America are balme sometimes by some African-Americans for being responsible for slave trade and slavery. Yes, some Africans at the time might have engaged in the obnoxious trade of their own people to Europeans, but 99% of the exercise as I was told at high school in Africa were being carried by Europeans using force on villages on the coast which were mostly affected due to their proximity to the Atlantic ocean. African people resisted the raids and the attacks, but they could not withstand the modern weapons of the Europeans while the Africans were using conventional weapons. This was a positive move by Africans at the time, but is not being recognize by slavery critics. According to oral history passed down onto us, most of the villages in the interior of most West African countries did not experience slave raids because they were far from the ocean.

My intention is for some of the African-Americans to understnad the situation of slavey if you (Anderson) engage these intellectuals on this subject as I can feel the frustration of African-Americans against their black African cousins on something that happened hundreds of years ago by some African ancestors, who unfortunately are not alive today to give an accout of the situation during their lifetime. Anderson's intervention in this subject will help mitigate the widely notion of Africans as traitors against their own people, while the relationship between black Africans and African-Americans is kind of a strain type and is not as cordial as it should be. We are cousins, but there is a big barrier between this two groups- one color, different languages separated by slavery.

July 11, 2009 at 12:57 am |
  30. Rachael

Hi anderson, looking forward to your interview with president obama in ghana. I know that it will exceptional.

July 11, 2009 at 12:44 am |
  31. Darryl Batts

Anderson I think you are doing a great job. I would like to speak with you when you get back I belong to a non-profit that does work in Ghana Africa for the past 11 years. We are opening a tele-presence cultural center in newark, NJ. We will allow students across the US to take a virtual tour of the slave castles in Ghana. We will also start a dialouge between African students and American students to dispell the myths. I would love to talk to you about your experience

July 11, 2009 at 12:40 am |
  32. Sonny Hill

The place of the beginning of the black man's holocaust.....

July 11, 2009 at 12:29 am |
  33. Pam Owu

Anderson
    I am an African-American who is married to a Ghanaian. I loved my trip to Ghana last year. The people are so friendly. Africa is beautiful. I went to Cape Coast. The experience was so unbelievable. History at arms length away. Enjoy your trip.

July 11, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  34. de-sekyere

Ghana is democratically the gateway to Africa.Prez Clinton adored our democracy.we love peace and are great people to be around with.Prez Bush belived in our political stability.Past leaders like Nkrumah and Kuffour lead the country with pure love and Obama's visit confirms our Political and democratic maturity in Africa and in the world as well.

De-sekyere
    Newyork

July 11, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  35. ferdie

Anderson, make sure you visit Ann Hooper at fairhill guest house in Cape Coast. She will treat you to the ultimate in Ghanaian Hospitality.
    She is a Ghanaian woman who lived in new Jersey for some 20 years as a nurse, and returned to establish a Ghanaian American guest house. You will absolutely love it there. Tell her love from Ferdie and family.

July 11, 2009 at 12:17 am |
  36. yosef

please raise the issue of Eritrea. This must be spoken about. As an upstanding News Organization CNN should speak about the plight of Eritrea and similar countries. People are being tortured and are emensly suffering. I was a defector who fled because I was apart of an underground democratic movement. You are a great journalist Anderson pplease raise the issue briefly.please.

July 11, 2009 at 12:08 am |