July 10th, 2009

Anderson tweets from Ghana

Editor's Note: Anderson is in Ghana today where he will meet up with President Obama for an exclusive interview. He is talking to people in Ghana about what they think of the significance of the first African-American president to visit the West African country. And we're also looking into the history of the African slave trade routes. Anderson visited the Cape Coast Castle where many slaves were transferred to ships bound for the Western hemisphere.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/10/art.ghana.cape.castle.door.jpg caption="The 'door of no return' at the Cape Coast Castle. Slaves would exit this door and board ships bound for the western hemisphere."]

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

From ac: just arrived in ghana. A lot of excitement here about Obama's trip. Everyone wants to see him. I'll be tweeting all weekend.

From ac: ghana is cool. Accra, the capitol is bustling with energy. Posters welcoming Obama are everywhere. It's great to be back in africa.

Follow Anderson's twitter updates here @andersoncooper

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Ghana
  1. Anthea H

Thanks for the tweets Anderson, you are sending through some powerful titbits.

July 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  2. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Anderson
    I'm glad you made it to Ghana and will be tweeting your expirences there too .I'm looking forward to your intervirew on Monday Presdient Obama is creating all kinds of excitment there and it 's interesting to see this happening on our times.

Thanks for your great reports
    Stay safe Anderson
    Michelle D.

July 11, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  3. Eddy in Ghana

If ever their is the possibility that you Anderson Cooper get to read this, I'm a big fun. I also need your help to make an impact on my school, Ashesi University. It is currently the best school in Ghana, I believe. I want to single-handedly move it towards a higher purpose and helping the school to change(significantly raise the standards of education) Ghana. "Ashesi" means "the beginning" and coincidentally it is the first Liberal Acts school in Ghana. I enjoy how education is done in my school, and Ii sincerely want it to spread across Ghana. I believe others all over the world can significantly join me achieve this feat.

July 11, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  4. Gilbert Acquah

i thank Cnn for Covering the Visit of Barack Obama in Ghana.I grew up in Cape Coast,and i am thankful that the Rich history of Cape Coast is being known by the world.I believe Every African American should visit Cape Coast,Ghana to learn about this emotional History.

July 11, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  5. Christian Boakye

Thanks Anderson for a great report. Am enjoying every bit of the report. It's actually devoid of the negativities I usually see associated to an African country. I hope you are enjoying the warm Ghanaian hospitality. Safe trip back to the States.

July 11, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  6. Dennis

Jubilee Field is the largest oil discovery in Africa during the past 10 years and is located off the coast of Ghana. I work for the company that discovered the field and we are in the process of selling our interest. It has become apparent that the bidding is going to be intense for these large reserves; 1-3 Billion Barrels of oil. Google Jubilee Field or Kosmos Energy and you will see all interested parties including the Chinese and Exxon-Mobil. It is interesting to watch how the new Ghanaian gov't is handling the huge potential in added petrodollars to their economy!! It is interesting thta President Obama chose Ghana to visit!!

July 11, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  7. Patrick Martin

Have a productive, but good time in Ghana. It looks to be kind of an exotic land, from what I could tell. And give Obama some tough questions during your interview.
    Hey, think about doing a five-year follow-up on the Sago mine disaster story in 2011. I still remember that startling moment when the mother and her son ran out of the church and told you the stunning news that all but one of the miners were deceased. Dramatic moment in TV history.

July 11, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  8. Lisa A. Fanning

Hi Anderson – I feel a sense of pride watching the Obamas in Ghana today. I am a descendent of and carry the mitochondrial DNA of one woman from the GA ethnic group in Ghana who may have been held at the dungeon the Obamas toured (there are more than one). I pay hommage to this woman whose name I may never know, but who survived the horrors of slavery in America to produce a line of daughters who keep her spirit alive.

July 11, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  9. ANN W.

A huge THANK YOU to CNN for your coverage of President Obama's Ghana visit. It makes me feel hopeful about the world and its future. I've been glued to the TV all morning. Americans' perspective on Ghana and Africa will be shaped, changed, and influenced by your coverage of this event. I wish I was there. CNN showed the "slave forts" in depth and I am so proud because many people feel this part of history is a myth. Thanks to Anderson Cooper–my FAV–for being the best! Thanks again! It's the best television I've seen this year.

July 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  10. Cindy

Anderson please forward to ur colleagues at CNN
    Africa is not a country.Please specify the country in ur commentaries.

Ghana isn't President Obama 1st official african trip. He was in Egypt earlier.
    please correct this and let the rest of everyone know this. Thanks

July 11, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  11. Mike

Hi Anderson- Happy to see reporting from Ghana and of course enjoying like many others the Accra. Just wondering why President Obama didn't make the King of Morocco his first choice to visit an African Nation since Kingdom of Morocco was one of the first Nations to recognize the US upon our formation of our Nation?? Thanks have a nice trip.

July 11, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  12. Monica A

Have fun Anderson! You and Obama will get along splendidly. We miss your smile on our screen, so hurry back!

July 11, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  13. Lori

Stay safe Anderson.

July 11, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  14. Sharon,Daniel Island, South Carolina

Charleston is one of the ports that many landed in. We have the largest africian american population that can trace there heritage back to african coast.

July 11, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  15. Catherine

I has reading the tweets last night. Thanks for your insight on Africa and the problems and successes of the continent, Anderson.

Of the 50 countries in Africa, Ghana has a special connection to Blacks because it was a gateway for the slave ships.

Also, I was happy to hear some good news about an African country that works. A stable democracy is how the countries will became strong and prosper.

Usually when I hear, Africa, I think AIDS, famine, hunger, violence and corruption. It's very refreshing to hear about a country that embraces a fairly elected government.

Don't worry about the story being titled Anderson in Africa. Anderson in Ghana doesn't have the same je ne se quios.

Stay safe and relax.

July 11, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  16. SpicaSeven

CNN -Anderson, Thank you so very much for bringing this story the light, my God we need to our past if we want to know where we are going in the future. The pictures are amazing to see and to hear the words used to describe what you are feeling and smelling, overwhelms me greatly.

Peace be with you, travel safe. SS

July 11, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  17. Cherry B

See, Anderson, tweeting's not so bad...we're just glad you're sharing with us. Hope you will continue with the pics, as well. Great to get a first hand view of this historic occasion. Thanks!

July 11, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  18. meinsananto

Did You get chills when you walked thru the place? It is unimaginable to me how cruel we as humans can be, but you are there in that place where this inhumane tragedy occured as proof that evil truely excist. I will put You and the Obamas in prayer. Please cross yourself before leaving that place so that no evil will follow you. God Bless You and your crew

July 11, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  19. GLORIA BLUEDELL

What time is l'interview with obama ????

July 11, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  20. Ingrid

I am sure you are used to African food by now; be careful with hot pepper there though! You don't want to be sweating during your interview.
    Have fun!

July 11, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  21. Patricia0117

I am sooooooooo excited about your trip with the President to Ghana. I am looking forward to your news report of the journey. When I want accurate and objective information about any story around the world, I tune in to CNN rather than the other news outlets. Great job sir!!....I have also enjoyed your twitter and facebook updates.

July 11, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  22. Dena

After visiting both Elmina and British Slave Castles in 1994, it became clear to me that the story needs to be told. It is important to know our history in the transatlantic slave trade and its relevance to American commerce development during the 17th to 19th centuries. We need to be more centered in the truth as a country. Although a haunting experience for me as African American female, I prayed that the story would be told on a broader American level. Thank you, CNN.

July 11, 2009 at 7:50 am |
  23. Ebenezer ODame

Hello Anderson, hope you have fun in Ghana. Donna Brazzile gave a very good description of the slave castles especially that at Cape Coast but she missed one important fact. They were built in such a way that no one could escape no matter how strong or clever you are. Once you are thrown in there you are discouraged from making any attempt to escape due to the thick walls, dark dungeons with no windows, tunnels leading to nowhere but into the slave ships. There were no toilet facilities for the slaves. The only favor done to them is that they come to pick up the dead among them and throw them out into the ocean thereby creating room to bring in more slaves. Very Horrifying to see.

July 11, 2009 at 4:50 am |
  24. kenny, L.A.

Looking forward to your interview with Prez. Obama. Make sure you have youself the local "palm wine". Enjoy Cape Coast and dip your feet in the Gulf of Guinea. The Cape Coast Castle will have more impact on Michelle. She is the one with the ancestral link.

July 11, 2009 at 4:47 am |
  25. divine n j

AC,it's good to be in ghana, am from ghana and i can tell you you are very safe in that country. trust me ghana ismuch safer than the U S A .we don;t slain human beings like the do here in the u s a we believe in GODand worship him greatly.ghana is one of the greatest countries on earth. our hospitality is second to none

July 11, 2009 at 4:14 am |
  26. Tee from Philly

To Michelle Johnson, you can't go to Ghana for the first time and not visit the Elmina castles. It's a major tourist attraction. Get over it and most importantly, get over yourself! If you are Black, then you are really an embarassment.

July 11, 2009 at 4:07 am |
  27. Tee from Philly

To BHO, what will slow you down is your ignorance. It doesn't help to be blissfully ignorant; THAT is what will keep you from moving forward.

July 11, 2009 at 4:00 am |
  28. Tee from Philly

To Kene and anyone else who doesn't get it. Let Obama identify himself the way he wishes. It's not the media that first called Obama an African American. HE CALLS HIMSELF AN AFRICAN AMERICAN mostly because that's the community that embraced him when he came to the mainland from Hawaii and also because that's the community that he helped as a community organizer. IF THE MAN WANTS TO BE AN AFRICAN AMERICAN, LET HIM BE! and get over yourselves please!

July 11, 2009 at 3:55 am |
  29. Michael "Omowale" Haggerty

Please address our ancestors as enslaved Africans, not slaves , they were people, some of them among the best Africa had to offer

July 11, 2009 at 3:04 am |
  30. Godwin

Can you Anderson ask the president, what is his immgration plans for those of us who are here legally and it takes long time to be united with families?
    Anderson please hold my wife hand bring her along with you. I am a citizen of this great country, United Of States American and yet, hmm.

July 11, 2009 at 2:58 am |
  31. maame esi, hawaii

am proud of president obama for his trip to "gold coast" also none Ghana now, where everything started, i have pictures of elmina castle on my facebook page before the prez went to Ghana, i hope all of us as human will come together as one and stop racisim in the world , lets all come together as one thanks.

July 11, 2009 at 2:49 am |
  32. Michael "Omowale" Haggerty

Greetings, Mr. Cooper

I have a few questions as a concerned descendant of formerly enslaved Africans , which I hope you will consider during your interview tomorrow if you receive this.

1. Most of us who are descended from formerly enslaved ancestors
    who had roots in west Africa. Much discussion has been put forth on "dual citizenship" and land setasides for tthis group. What are the President's comments if any on this subject?
    2. Some media reports say that the real purpose of this trip is to solicit a future base for Africom , which has the purpose of protecting the U.S. 's national security interests related to resources on the continent among them being "oil" Can the President confirm or debunk this?

3. Knowing that the U.S. did have a role in the enslavement of the anscestors of some African Americans, including the destruction of family ties and identity, one potential repair that the U.S. can do is assistance with genetic tests, and other means to help African Americans with a reconnection of sorts, Is the President at all interested in this, understanding that a groups connection to its history , culture and family can have a serious impact on how the group thrives.

July 11, 2009 at 2:34 am |
  33. Ms. B.

Happy to hear about your safe arrival to Ghana.
    I agree wholeheartedly with Kene's comment (8:59PM) about citizens of the USA having a tendency to view Africa as one county. However I do think that referring to Obama as an African-American is correct in the broader sense. Whether he's the US's first black president is another question, however, given his biracial heritage.
    When you say "Ghana is cool" are you talking about the weather? I thought this was the dry season and it would be relatively hot.
    Best wishes on your trip. I think that it has great potential to inform people about a continent that is often marginalized and ignorantly represented both by the media and in non-native accounts.

July 11, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  34. Kip Mibey

Hi Anderson – Good job you're doing over there in Ghana. When you interview The President, would you please, ask him to give priority to the means of indusrialization to Africa as a form of aid? That should include fair trade and openining market in the west for african products such as textile and other manufactured goods. Extensive training on skill development in rural areas and other forms of education. Relief aid or "band aid" assistance with all the good intentions has never really done much to alliveate the status quo in Africa after all these years, but rather have created a sort of dependency on foreign aid. Southeast Asia, with good governance of course, was able to advance tremendously in terms of economic development partly due to a well tailored Marshall Plan from the west. Can the same be done for those promising african democracies?
    Kip Mibey, Indianapolis, IN (born and raised in Africa)

July 11, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  35. Alex

Obama should stop by in Ethiopia and really asses the situation that Ethiopians face. Anderson, if you care any for other human beings ask President Obama why Ethiopia is not in his plan of countries to visit in Africa? He will see the tears of many who suffer from life, through famine, losing loved once to unquestionable punishments, and how democracy does not apply if your not someone who agrees with how much life is a punishment under a dictatorship.

I feel sorry to exist in this lifetime. The real story happens where others fail to look or seek to fix.

July 11, 2009 at 2:16 am |
  36. Nana Kofi

Anderson, for over 4 years under George Bush, the US military has been trying to establish bases on African soil against the will of Africans, so as to re-enslave Africans, and control their resources. When you sit down with President Obama, ask him if, after his trip to the slave castle, and witnessing the injustices and cruelty meted to the African continent in general, and probably to the ancestors of Malia, Sasha, and Michelle, he will still be a part of this diabolical plan to rape Africa all over again, and be able to look at himself and family every day.

July 11, 2009 at 2:10 am |
  37. Rhonda Garcia

All I wanted to say Anderson, is that I think your a very intelligent and very handsome man, I wish I could of have met someone like you. And you are not bias about issues, I think that is very very awesome I just think you deserve a hand for the kind of man you are. You should run for president. I would vote for you.

July 11, 2009 at 2:07 am |
  38. Tommy

Obama should visit Ethiopia..... It should be along with the other planned countries in Africa.

July 11, 2009 at 2:06 am |
  39. johnny

Anderson,

The Obama administration believes Ghana is the first place to visit, I have no problem with that. I can understand that President Obama is travelling to home land Africa. But, his trip should include certain part of the continent because other countries in the region needs his fully undivided attention. He has to be able to convince the people of certain countries democracy really exists everywhere. Its a shame that only certain countries have the attention of public figures. Ethiopia is one country that where there is no democracy nor a government which works. I can't believe how other parts of the world are considered a country and officials leave the once who need protected left alone. I can undrestand Ethiopia might not mean anything to the world, but it is still a country full of life and humanity. The government should be questioned just like other world officials. If you really care about peoples' blogs written on your show, Anderson, please make sure you ask the president what about Ethiopia and the people who are abused, tortured, and killed for choosing democracy over persecution. The world will have a different view of an African American president.

July 11, 2009 at 2:03 am |
  40. ROBERT

why is our president not visiting Kenya where his family is.
    If he wants to visit the slave forts why not visit Fort Jesus in Mombasa Kenya.

July 11, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  41. Kwasi Darko

hey Anderson am a Ghanaian living in houston Texas ..i went to school a couple of blocks away from the cape coast castle (adisadel college) i used to go there all time.

Anyways what do u think think about Ghana so far?

July 11, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  42. Herb Singleton

Hi Anderson,

Please clear up the continued confusion regarding Egypt 's place in the world. Egypt is part of the African continent. It then stands to reason that the first African – American president has already made a visit to Africa with his trip to Egypt in June.

Take care

July 11, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  43. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I am almost envious at the amount of traveling you get to do. Have fun and stay safe!

July 11, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  44. Emmanuel Antwi

Anderson, please you are misimforming us. The President has already been to AFRICA and GHANA is not the first Africa country he visited you know when he went to Egypt was the first may be you do not know Egypt is in A FRICA the world is listern and looking please don't misimform this is CNN YOU KNOW

July 11, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  45. e darko

hi anderson i m from ghana. god bles

July 11, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  46. Sandra Arthur

dear anderson, i commend you of the great job you do. My family watches CNN all evening and night long. I am a naturalized American citizen, originally from Ghana who attended secondary school in Saltpond. However, in 1999 i had the oppurtunity to visit Cape Coast Castle. It was an emmotional moving experience, which gave me a good sence of my heritage. Today ten years later, your coverage in Ghana only brings closer to mind the chock, disbelief, anger, and pain i felt. the stench of blood in the castle, for all these years was unbelievable. Again i thank you and CNN for the great job done, educating the world daily. AKWABA If this is not your first time visiting the country, I am sure you are experincing a natural warmth and hospitality from he people of ghana. Mr. President Obama, and family would have a life lesson exprience in Ghana. Please also tour the nice beaches and try some Kelewele (fried plantain) at night.

July 11, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  47. akos

I agree with you Kene, this is in fact Pres. Obama's second visit to the continent of Africa and I'm not surprised people missed that. How come all of a sudden Egypt is not in Africa?. If it's not in Africa, then where is it? Australia ?. I'm starting to think its not about ignorance. Maybe its about some Americans insisting on viewing Africa through the same lens and the only thing they see is a dark continent. And since Egypt is not as dark it shouldn't be in Africa. And one more thing, we are tired of seeing just a one sided view, the slums in most African countries, so while in Ghana, please show as the down-town even if there are no buildings scraping the sky. We know its no where near American standard but there are always two sides to every story. Just like the US, there's the ghetto and then there's the down-town so we want to see both sides. And by the way, have a nice time in Ghana Anderson, and bring some souveniers with you back home.

July 11, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  48. Emmanuel

I would really appreciate if Pres Obama will ask the Leaders of Africa one question.Why? Why can't they elevate themselves and compete with the rest of the would but instead prefer to beg, full of greed, power drunk, commit genocide......etc Why? They should be embarrassed! They should be ASHAMED of themselves. They are a reproach not only to me but to the President.

July 11, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  49. olan

Hi,Anderson.....enjoy yourself in Ghana, and make sure you explore all the the great culture Africans has to offer...we are people of great culture and light hearted spirit....Moreover,we Africans living in the states are tired of all negative pictures been painted about Africans, as if there is no interesting things in Africa only hungry people;that is not fair.Do me a favor ask president Obama why he stub Nigeria...the largest country in Africa and the third largest supplier of oil to the US.

July 11, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  50. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

Hello Anderson, Miss getting my daily weekday dose of you, looking forward to Monday to get a bigger glimpse into your time in Africa with President Obama. Get some rest I'm sure the jet lag is catching up. I love learning about history, I know many feel they'd rather not hear of it but I feel all people in history should be remembered for what they gave up and make sure nothing like it happens again.

Wish you could have packed me into your suitcase 🙂

Have an exciting weekend, looking forward to your tweets

July 11, 2009 at 12:04 am |