July 10th, 2009

Anderson tweets from Ghana

Editor's Note: Anderson is in Ghana today where he will meet up with President Obama for an exclusive interview. He is talking to people in Ghana about what they think of the significance of the first African-American president to visit the West African country. And we're also looking into the history of the African slave trade routes. Anderson visited the Cape Coast Castle where many slaves were transferred to ships bound for the Western hemisphere.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/10/art.ghana.cape.castle.door.jpg caption="The 'door of no return' at the Cape Coast Castle. Slaves would exit this door and board ships bound for the western hemisphere."]

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

From ac: just arrived in ghana. A lot of excitement here about Obama's trip. Everyone wants to see him. I'll be tweeting all weekend.

From ac: ghana is cool. Accra, the capitol is bustling with energy. Posters welcoming Obama are everywhere. It's great to be back in africa.

Follow Anderson's twitter updates here @andersoncooper

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Ghana
  1. mark

Hey Anderson.. i hope you ask prez Obama why he picked Ghana rather than his native country kenya

July 11, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  2. mark

July 11, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  3. mishan

so, is it true that the door of no return has been renamed "door of return" – as your beautiful shots subtly showed tonight?

July 10, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  4. Chioma

am looking forward to watching the interview, should be quite interesting. It would be nice to know what the Obama Administration thinks the African Continent as to offer especially since at least 2 of the world’s emerging Economies (Nigeria and Egypt) are in the Continent.
    Have fun Anderson! I miss my home…its amazing!

July 10, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  5. Chioma

I am looking forward to watching the interview, should be quite interesting. It would be nice to know what the Obama Administration thinks the African Continent as to offer especially since at least 2 of the world's Economies (Nigeria and Egypt) are in the Continent.
    Have fun Anderson! I miss my home...its amazing!

July 10, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  6. cathy from Barbados

Hello Mr. Copper, this historic trip of the President's brings me right back to the re-enactment of the Amistad America when it took its transAtlantic voyage just over a year ago; President Obama was a primary candidate then. I was revited by the time factor, 200 years ago the events of today would have seemed an impossibility.

July 10, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  7. georgina codjoe

hi.well i am happy that you are in Ghana and arrived safely. been a Ghanaian myself who live in Atlanta GA. always finds it difficult to tell pple how wonderful my country is and its rich in culture especially the castle, really chilling hmmmmmmmm! . do represent us well wish you all the best. please try and say something about university of cape coast as i studied there. all the best and stay safe.

July 10, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  8. Valena - Racine,WI

Hello Anderson,

Glad you made it to Ghana. It is a wonderful place if you get a chance go to the market in Accra, and also the central market in Kumasi . You are in a wonderful country and I can't wait till I have another chance to go.

July 10, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  9. Marguerite (Toronto)

Thanks Anderson for referring to the captured people in the Castles as 'enslaved' people. Slavery was/is not a natural or chosen condition.
    I also agree that it is important to recognize that this is President Obama's second official visit to the continent as Egypt is a part of Africa and we need to acknowledge that each country in Africa is unique.

July 10, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  10. kofi kar

thanks anderson for reporting president Obama's visit to ghana, africa. I love ghana is the most democratic country in africa and hope
    you'll report most exciting things the make ghana unique of all other africa countries.

July 10, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  11. Barbara

Anderson
    I am a 74 year old white lady with a husband with dementia. I watch a lot of TV. I watch CNN most all the time. I really do enjoy seeing 360 each night. Keep up the good work, and do keep safe while away. Looking forward to your interview with our President. I really like him. i get so tired of all the complaints,We should all be praying for him. Thanks Barbara

July 10, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Isabel Jimenez, Miami, FL

Hey, Anderson, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck w/the Obama interview. Please don't be afraid to ask the tough questions–they do need to be asked. Take as many pictures & video footage as you possibly can, stay safe, & may you & President Obama have a safe trip home.

July 10, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  13. Lori from IL

Hi, Anderson - Glad you made it safely to Ghana and are enjoying Accra. Love the fact that you are "tweeting"!

Watched President Obama and family land earlier today. Seems like the people of Ghana are excited about their visit. Sounds like an exciting place to be right now. Just caught your breakout on Campbell Brown - and the Cape Coast Castle sounds like it's full of history - looking forward to your tour with the first family and your interview with President Obama tomorrow. Sounds like Monday night's AC360 will be "must see TV!'

Godspeed on your journey.

July 10, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  14. Kene

Anderson, I am really shocked about your reporting because I see you as an intelligent journalist. But from the look of it, you are infected with the American ignorance of geography, calling Obama visit to Africa.
    First, Obama is visiting Ghana, not Africa. Get it right. This is a classic example of how the media perpertuates American ignorance of geography especially the Continent of Africa. You lump the continent as one country. There are more than 40 countries in Africa. The countries and cultures are so different from one another. The people are so different that inter racial marriage would have a different meaning.
    Second, Obama is not an African American, he is a Kenyan American. Why all this ignorant reporting from you and the media? Please explain to all of us.
    Talking about Obama first visit to the continent of Africa, if he visited Egypt several weeks ago, doesn't that make this his second visit to the continent?? Please explain again!

July 10, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  15. Taunya

Hi Anderson,

Glad to hear you made it there safely.

Thanks for sharing the amazing pictures and your stories. It's so
    neat to hear the excitement in your words as you talk about being there. Have a great time on this trip and look forward to your interview on Monday.

Taunya – Hershey, PA

July 10, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  16. Annie Kate

Looking forward to your interview and other reports from Ghana. Any plans for other stories from over there? Thanks for tweeting; have you ever been to Ghana before??

July 10, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  17. vivian in north carolina

Anderson,love you so much! ur alway's in my prayers where ever u go.
    this is my first tweet, n it's to u.

July 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  18. Sandra Robertson, GA

Hi Anderson. I look forward to your interview with President Obama.

I remember Roland Martin's report on the Ghanaian slave castles and how heartbreaking it was to know that such torture took place and so many tears were shed. The beauty of the coastline, looking out over the Atlantic, made the heart even more heavy knowing what took place there.

July 10, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  19. BHO - fan

OMG! . . . I'm an African American and proud of it. I don't want to know more about slavery than I already know. Please lets move forward without keep looking back. It only slows you down.

Be safe Anderson,Obama and hurry back!

July 10, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  20. Isabel (Montreal)

Glad you made it safely. Looking forward to your interview on Monday!
    God bless you!

July 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  21. Carol B. in MD

Hmm... What is the research that smiley face blogs get read more often ? 🙂 🙂 🙂 Pretty damn silly, bloggers.

July 10, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  22. Karen

Anderson!

waiting, waiting, waiting . . . slavery still – when will it end . . . everywhere – especially in the USA 🙁

Mr. & Mrs. President are not out to punish people – to serve justice, and to make the world a better place – yes.

Have fun in Africa – good to hear your happy to be back.

Thank you.

Karen 🙂

July 10, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  23. Theresa, Des Moines

Looking forward to this interview. Appreciate the background history/geography/culture about Ghana also.

July 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  24. becky jake

Thanks CNN for the little history/geography lesson. It's good to hear that in Ghana, a democracy thrives; and corruption is held at bay. To raise awareness of these things might inspire others to follow suit. Be sure and congratulate POTUS for choosing Ghana for his visit.

July 10, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  25. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

Anderson, I was thinking last night, I didn't get a chance to tell A.C. to be safe & take care, then I thought; oh yea tweets! Anderson, I'm looking forward to your interview, does President Obama know that you're #1 from all the networks? Americas finest in Africa, thanks for representing. Talk to you later.

July 10, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  26. Rebekah

Hey Anderson,
    i can't wait to see the interview with President Obama. loved the first interview you did with him and this one in Africa is going to be awesome, i just know it!
    Africa may have been a place to be forgotten in (N.B.) but all of our eyes are on you and the President right now. =]
    -Rebekah... MI

July 10, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  27. Andrea

Hi there. I really am looking forward to your interview with President Obama. I really hope you had a safe trip to Ghana and a very safe trip home.

July 10, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  28. Ellie B

Hi Anderson,
    Just got a new laptop,so i am looking forward to your tweets this weekend. Stay safe.

July 10, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  29. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    I am happy you arrived in Ghana,what means you have to across the atlantic saftly.I will cross the atlantic on sunday,Never was that scarry before.
    So enjoy your tripp to Africa,i know you like that continent .I try to watch you on twitter,but i am going from Germany to N.Y.on sunday.
    Dont know you will back next week in N.Y?Would be good reason to watch your show life in N.Y.and not in midnight time from Germany.
    All the best for you and your team,honest do you ever sleep?
    The wold needs people like you,to tell us the truth,and whats going on in the world.

July 10, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  30. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, it’s exciting that you’ll be in Ghana and from the looks of it, your purpose is multi-fold, to interview the president and give us a glimpse of the country’s history. Ghana is seen as a model of democracy for other African nations and has made good strides in providing health care and education to its people. Like other countries, the financial crisis has hit them hard, but poorer countries like Ghana bear the brunt of the crisis. Despite its challenges, we can’t ignore the positive aspects that are happening there and it is important that we report objectively, and that means providing an accurate picture, good or bad. I hope this is a sign of things to come, that we can potentially see more reporting on international countries, poor and rich, so we can understand their history, culture, and politics. The more we learn about them and the more globally-oriented we are in our thinking, the better off we are. What happens to them affects us here in the U.S., not just politically, but economically as well. When one country does well, we do well too. For example, a stable and thriving country has more resources to buy our goods (exports), and that means more money into the U.S. and a more prosperous U.S. Remember in PIP I and II, when you said, “We are all connected?” Now more than ever, that still applies. Safe travels and I look forward to your reports.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

July 10, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  31. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi there,
    Very cool pictures! So glad you're enjoying your time there. Thanks for all that you do. It's been one of my long time dreams to see Africa one day in person. It will happen eventually. So nice that all those great pictures can be posted for us to get a glimpse. Thanks, and take care.

July 10, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  32. Carol B. in MD

This should be a very interesting interview w/ Pres. Obama. Will you be asking him questions about Ghana's Pres. Mills? Good luck mining the news from the Gold and Ivory Coasts. Maybe you'll also find some colorful textiles and/or ornate wood art before the trip home.

July 10, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  33. Nancy

Hate Tweets, but love Ghana. Thanks for drawing attention to this great country. Will read the blog, but hope the tweets are encompassed in the interview. The tour of the Cape Castle is so worth it. It is the best tour I've ever been on – and I generally like to skip the tours because they are too cheesy.

July 10, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  34. princess

Enjoy! Take a loooootttttt of pics... and keep using those "magical thumbs"...:) Just remember people back here are suffering... 🙂 just kidding...

July 10, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  35. Jennifer (Atlanta, GA)

So glad you are "tweeting" while in Ghana. Looking foward to hearing more of your experience there.

July 10, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not surprised that Obama is giving Anderson an "exclusive'" interview. After all no one has gone easier on the Obama administration than Anderson.

July 10, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  37. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

From the comments, some are excited about this trip, and it's good for the people of Ghana for President Obama to recognize them. I wish I had more positive feelings, but it appears from the editor's note that Anderson will focus on Obama's ancestry and slavery. As a person of color, I view this looking backward and focus on the president's ethnicity as negative and exclusionary to all the diverse people in the U.S. he is supposedly representing. My question to you, Anderson, is: I know you always have the best and only good intentions, buy why are you focusing on these subjects?

July 10, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  38. Dee Stevens

In a land that grows cocoa, coffee, tobacco and spices. There is alot of history in the Kumbi-Kumbi. This is a historical interview for you Anderson. Have a safe journey home.

July 10, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  39. Julie

"Ghana is cool."

Glad you get to travel on the CNN dime. Now "tweet" us "news" that I couldn't get from my 6 year old niece.

July 10, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  40. Isabel

@andersoncooper TO AC: When you can, continue twitering with us! Now let's work! lol ... 🙂

July 10, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  41. Cherisa

It must be exciting to see what's going well in the country. It's great to see updates from the field again. Hope I can keep up over the weekend; headed to a family reunion in a state park that thankfully has wireless Internet access.

July 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  42. tammy, houma

how cool to be there. thinking of maya angelou's story. be safe.

July 10, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  43. Sarah, Canterbury - UK

Hey, tweeting with the kids huh !!!

Ghana sounds like it is a very vibrant country, have you been there before?

The photos look absolutely stunning, do keep them coming, if you get time it would be lovely to see a "home video" of the sights and sounds of Ghana.

Have a great trip

July 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    I'm glad you arrived safely in Africa. I look forward to your insights and interview with Pres. Obama.

July 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  45. Dave S, Tinley Park, IL

Looking forward (as always) to seeing your report-stay safe!

July 10, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  46. Isabel

@andersoncooper TO AC: I'm waiting for your reports on Africa. Cool to know that Ghana is excited w/ the Potus! Good work & Happy Friday! 🙂

July 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  47. Cindy

Yeah I saw these tweets but how about a blog post from there Cooper!? LOL

Cindy..Ga.

July 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  48. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

You're "tweeting"? About time! 🙂

Thanks for the updates.

July 10, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  49. Janine from PA.

Have a nice interview, Mr. Cooper, and come back safe and sound.

July 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  50. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Great so far Anderson! Keep it coming please! And to think the journey's only just begun. I'm sure there will be more pictures, right?

Donna Wood