July 10th, 2009

Anderson tweets from Ghana

Editor's Note: Anderson is in Ghana today where he will meet up with President Obama for an exclusive interview. He is talking to people in Ghana about what they think of the significance of the first African-American president to visit the West African country. And we're also looking into the history of the African slave trade routes. Anderson visited the Cape Coast Castle where many slaves were transferred to ships bound for the Western hemisphere.

The 'door of no return' at the Cape Coast Castle. Slaves would exit this door and board ships bound for the western hemisphere.

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

From ac: just arrived in ghana. A lot of excitement here about Obama's trip. Everyone wants to see him. I'll be tweeting all weekend.

From ac: ghana is cool. Accra, the capitol is bustling with energy. Posters welcoming Obama are everywhere. It's great to be back in africa.

Follow Anderson's twitter updates here @andersoncooper

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Ghana
  1. Loretta in TN

Correction; Keeping them honest!

July 12, 2009 at 12:40 am |
  2. Loretta in TN

So enjoyed Ericia last night! Wish she and Amy Holmes had a program because as of now, I feel they report the NEWS w/out smirk remarks and comments!
    Were you able to ask Obama if he told his daughter's how black rival tribes would capture each other, chain them around the neck and drive them great distance (many dying along the way) to Cape Coast Castle!?
    If everyone told the truth in the beginning, how easy it would be to "keep them straight".
    Looking forward to your program on Monday!

July 12, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  3. Dawn L. Reynolds

Hi Anderson

Glad you recovered from the spider bite and the baby blues are back to normal. What a great journey to be one, the pictures bring tears to my eyes. Can't wait to see the interview with President Obama. It will be a trip his girls will never forget nor will the lovely people of Ghana. Thanks for continuing to bring the story to us, you are the best.

July 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. carla crawford

Anderson, stay well and thanks for the great coverage of our president in the motherland.
    Carla
    Atlanta, Georgia

July 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Deb

Dear A.C. Message from Elsie Fallulah Graves one of the Whiskers & Fur gang cats, she would like a happy B'day from you on facebook/whiskers and purr gang on July 15th, she is your biggest fan. Thank you from a cat lover

July 11, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  6. Kari, Suffern, NY

I'm looking for your pic of the "Rocky" aka "Broderick" eye from the spider bite. Where do I find it?

July 11, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  7. Sabrina in Las Vegas

Glad you got some sleep and that your eye is doing better.

I think that spider is the least of your concerns there...are you up on your travel shots?

Watch out for those worms that I hear burrow into your feet...yuck.

Safe trip home.

July 11, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  8. connie

While many want to see better governance in Africa, it would be good for you to put things in perspective. At just 55 years old, Ghana is the oldest independent country in Africa other than Ethiopia. Those of us who pay any attention to history know that the United States was lawless at 55 years old. These young African countries also have to struggle with historical exploitative relationships with the West that to this day contribute to ethnic divisions, not to mention that too many of the countries are no better than neo-colonial states. That being said, I agree that the future of Africa depends on its ability to develop democratic states without ethnic hostilities, and also to control its rich natural resources.

July 11, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  9. lee

If Black in America would focus more on where they are going as a group and less on the past they might be more productive. Pres obama should explore his white roots too. Arent they the ones that raised him to be what he is today

July 11, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  10. Eric Metzger

africa needs what we ..here in the usa need..good goverment..low corruption. health care free elections

July 11, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  11. Joan from MA

Cooper,

This is my very first tweet ever. So, here goes.

I'd love to see some coverage of the education, culture, and community values of the people of Ghana. I know it's a big deal that the president is there. And, I think it's important that you discuss certain issues with him; but, it would be wonderful to learn something about Ghana as well.

You are a wonderful journalist, so I'm sure you could figure out a way to highlight both.

July 11, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  12. theresa

hello anderson!!, i am looking forward to monday,s interview with obama. you are probably one of the best reporters on television today. you show a compassionate side to everything you report on. i taped the documentaries planet in peril and the battlelines last year, they were so well done.best wishes and a safe trip home.

July 11, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  13. Theressa

Dear Anderson,

I'm glad to see your there in Africa safely!

When you sit with President Obama can you please address the E dumping that is going in Ghana? This is something that really needs to be addressed not only for the envirement but for homeland security.

July 11, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  14. jenny godwins

Hi there,

I am so happy to hear that Obama is in Ghana. I was at the same castle in October 2007 and it was an eye opening experience for me. I just came back from Ghana again after being there for 6 months and witnessed the entire country go through the election process. It was very interesting. Anderson, I hope your trip was amazing as well! I wish you could say hi to my husband for me.

July 11, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  15. Diane N.

Lights on, fly swatter or rolled up newspaper handy and some ice for the swelling, does whiskey help for swelling spider bites? You gotta watch out for those spiders AC!

July 11, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  16. Jackie

I have been listening to as much of your broadcasting as I can catch a glimpse of. I have also submitted two blogs and probably did not do it correctly, because I don't see them. One was not to late when I started typing but probably was when submitted. You are doing a wonderful job and everyone should be in quiet anticipation awaiting Monday night. Constructive criticism is always a good thing, but I for one hate to be pummeled into the ground. One you can learn from the other you can ignore.

July 11, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  17. Lillie

Over 20 million Africans were forced into salvery.
    Your reports are saying hundreds or thousands.

July 11, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  18. Queen Celestial

I was going to give you a hard time about how your thumbs automatically assume their work position even when you don’t have the blackberry in your palms… but now is not the time… Pls keep twitting… we really appreciate the updates!
    I hope you get some sleep otherwise…
    “…pretty young things won’t even notice…”

July 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  19. liz

Hi Anderson – enjoying the twwets from your journey to Ghana. Can't wait to watch interview Monday evening on 360 – Good Luck, safe return.

July 11, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  20. chicagoeyes

Hey Anderson,
    Glad you made it safely to your destination. Can't wait to see Monday's show!!! You go to the most interesting places.Even Obama knows how good of a reporter you are.I hope you really drill him on our economy. Is he ever going to stay put in Washington for awhile? Well can't wait to see the show. Hey Anderson I was wondering if you need a travel companion? I'm available and would love to see the world!!
    Don't forget to pick up something for Erica's B-day. Be safe!! I am a big fan of AC360. Chicagoeyes

July 11, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  21. Dee Stevens

Be careful what you eat Anderson, and use mosquito repellant too.

July 11, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  22. Hans

Hey Anderson
    looking forward to your interview tomorrow
    Hans

July 11, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  23. Dee Stevens

Stay safe in Ghana, Anderson. I will love to watch your interview wih President Barack Obama, this coming Monday night on AC 360 at 10 PM on CNN Cable TV. May God watch over you and have a safe trip to NYC.

July 11, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  24. Ernest, CA

Great Anderson! This is history in the making. Thanking you for doing this, most news don't cover Africa and seeing you going the extra mile to make a trip to Ghana to bring us exciting positive news and photos is magnificent. Keep them coming. I can't wait to see the exclusive interview with President Obama when you return. Will you be interviewing President Mills of Ghana too? I love the pictures from Elmina and Cape Coast Castles – there is a lot to learn about Ghana and about America's past. Good job Anderson.

July 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  25. Susan Lemarie

Thanks for the reports from Ghana. It's been really interesting to learn about that country from the perspective of someone who is currently there. Before, I have only learned about it from immigrants I have worked with that left there a long time ago. I think back on all your reports from Africa and they're the main reason I know anything at all about Africa.

Keep up the good work!