July 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/09/09

We have new information on the investigation into Michael Jackson's death. Will it become a criminal investigation? Maybe even homicide? We also have stunning new details on Jackson's suspected drug addiction.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kathy, Chicago

MJ suffered from that crazy life of fame and fortune. I don't really get into Hollywood and all of that stuff because it's not real.

July 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Carolyn MacLennan

I wonder where his true friends were, Why didn't his family come together and help Janet. God Bless her. And these drs that hands out those types of drugs like candy, can they be held accountable .Why was his addiction kept such a secret? His true fans would have been there for him.

July 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Danielle,Gary Indiana

I just wish the media & everyone else would let Michael Jackson rest in peace. It is becoming nerve wrecking.

July 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Janice Jemison

Listenting to all the comments about Michael Jackson's drug usage and how he was addicted to drugs. Not condoning overuse of any drugs, but no one is addressing the issue, why he got addicted to the drugs in the first place...... Apparently he was in a lot of pain...... I myself know what that is like. To be in so much pain that you want to die....... no one knows what a person has to deal with being in that kind of pain unless you been there....... I have...... So stop judgeing Michael until you been where we have....... Janice

July 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Calli watson

I understand but now there is questions on who his kids belong do are they mikos? that is just sad what if his kids are watching this, ill tell you i am twenty two years old and i am watching.

July 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. sharon

I'm not sure Michael's former security guards are being completely honest in their descriptions of obtaining prescription drugs. Could they have been disgruntled former employees, or had some other reason ? Their stories should be verified.

July 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. laurie

I think the person or persons for this dr shopping should be brought to justice, it makes me sad that this is going on around the world A haul over of this problem needs to occur world wide.

July 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Wendy

Hi Erica,nice to have you on,finally I think full attention will be paid to the use of prescription drugs,sorry it had to take the death of MJ to get that done.

July 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Shuktika

Love the insight that Dr. Sanjay Gupta has on the medical troubles plaguing Michael Jackson.

July 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. susan

When I had a sudden and very traumatic death in my family, my doctor prescribed xanax. I took it for nearly five years, and at one point I was taking up to 15 pills a night. It took me about a year to wean myself , and completely stop taking it. My doctor never questioned why I needed so much, and I did not "doctor shop". I have been free of it for over two years now, and when I get upset, I think I would love to have a xanex or two or three.

July 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. julie

i think that we should leave michael jackson alone he is not here to defend himself now

July 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Krasi

It is true MJ made the choice to take drugs (whatever the reasons), but the doctors as such have the responsibility to help the patient and not assist in the deterioration of his condition. I agree with Dr Gupta that better regulations are necessary.

13. Vicky

All these drugs they say that Michael was taking, would play a huge role on his liver. The autopsy obviously would show damage done to the liver from all the toxins. I hope they find out for sure why he died so young. Its a shame for sure.

14. susan

My prayers to the family. Tthe aftermath and what is unfolding is tragic. How is it that Dr. Klein can reveal details about his patient , what about HIPPA??

15. LSM

Interesting show tonight. As an RN, I believe there should definitely be a national database for the medicines doctors prescribe. As for the employees of Michael Jackson, shame on them for not getting him the help he needed. The people close to Michael Jackson that do not want to talk about this are perhaps guilty too. Sadly, It's all about the money. Hopefully something good will come out of this sad story and help people who are addicted to drugs.

16. Michelle

I am a Canadian and have been listening to the information on Michael's doctors who were so obviously taking advantage of him. It is so frustrating to hear that this can happen in the American Health Care system. In Canada, no health care practitioner is allowed to have any kind of personal relationship with a patient.

17. Annie

Erica, nice to see you in charge. You are doing as good as AC!!

18. Carol

Where were his kids when this was happening? And it must have happened a lot.

19. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Micheal 's demons played havoc with him his whole life and it caused him not to love himself it's so sad he was a beautiful person and it's a shame he couldn't see that .

20. Stephanie

I want to know why the media isn't discussing the fact that Michael Jackson had lupus. My cousin had lupus and she was on many different medications just to function. It could have been the same for him.

21. shawn

someone should have got michael some help sooner than never

22. Nikki

Hi, the man that you were just talking to said that Dermiol was a pain killer. I thought you've been saying it's a setitive.

23. denise

Wasn't there someway the Jackson Family or Friends could've had the police involved to get Michael Jackson committed to a hospital for help with his suspected drug addiction?

24. Emma

I'm very saddened to hear this news about the quantity of drugs Michael Jackson was using. I'm a 56-year old school teacher working to detox off Xanax as we speak. The situation of involuntary dependency on prescribed meds is worthy of national attention. It is very easy to go from "chemical dependence" to full-blown addict behaviors. God bless MJ and family!

25. Lori from IL

Always enjoy Dr. Sanjay Gupta's insight and sharing of information.

Had minor surgery last Thursday - was given Propofol (Dirprivan) as my anesthesia (in a hospital by a board certified anesthesiologist) - was surprised at how fast I was asleep and how fast I woke up. None of the groggy, gradual waking up - just wide awake. (no side effects) Had a very good and funny conversation with my anesthesiologist (who was standing at the foot of the bed watching me) when I woke up - thanks to the info I learned from Dr. Gupta on AC360!!

26. jarod hampton

Mike is gone so why don't we let him rest in peace. The world has done enough to him

27. Devna AC360°

@Vivieen – A truly tragic story indeed. As we reported last night, the Jackson family tried, unsuccessfully, to host an intervention with Michael. Particularly, Janet Jackson was very concerned but Michael would keep anyone away who would try to speak with him regarding this concern.

28. Joel G

hello erika i have a question
    if some doctors new that jackson will take lots of pills heavy doses why would ent they say something /??????

29. Ann Marie

If law enforcement knew all about Jackson's drug use and these doctors in 2004 WHY didn't they do anything about it. IMO they are just as responsible for his death for doing nothing.

30. Lou

It is NOT the doctor's responsibility to check if someone is "doctor shopping". It is the patient's responsibility NOT to do it! When will people take responsibility for their own actions!

31. Tammie

Did Michael Jackson have a form of Lupus? My husband just passed away, heart attack/lupus complications. I've heard the medications and it's all to familar to what my husband had for pain management. I also feel the children need to be left alone with his family according to his wishes. Thank you

32. Jeanne

I understand the concern about MJ drughabitt, but I think we should make it known, that MJ had this habitt because of illnesses and excruciating pain, not just a habitt, but a outcry for help to be painfree.

33. Lindsay

@Jules - Makes me wonder how credible these "sources" are

34. Diane

I've heard Michael had lupus. If he had lupus, that condition could explain a lot about his pain and need for medication. What about looking at symptoms and treatment for lupus?

35. wolfie_pack

His last years were so much like Elvis-sad

36. Olivia Comer

Hi Erica....glad to listen to you tonight.

37. Darryl

Remarkable how far this is all going Michael Jackson death possible homicide charges. The plot thickens what's next.? Lets hope Michael is remembered for what he did and not for what was done to him???

38. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Erica and Devena

Great to have you on blog and welcome to the 360 club !

39. Maria Isabel

@ Devna AC360°
    It's very good having a very good producer blogging with us!

40. mona

Celebrities will ask for the drugs/prescriptions..but the doctors need to learn to say NO..Don't they take oaths for these things??? Even if Michael Jackson got down on his hands and knees and begged for Diprivan, the answer should have been a resounding No.

41. Barbara

All these allegations about Michael's alleged drug use. Why don't we all just wait for the toxicology report instead of speculating about what killed him. Afterall, the man is not here to defend himself.

42. rmcreates

It is deeply disheartening to hear all the exploitation over Michael's drug use. It is amazing to realize how deep his emotional and physical pain ran. The same pain that brought us this pop genius is the same pain that killed him. Let's talk about the pain and his response to life with drugs.

43. Julie

It is probably the media that makes these celebrities want to take the drugs to escape. Who really knows what happened behind closed doors. Lets just leave it alone not going to bring MJ back.

44. Steve

Michael your music will live forever!

45. christina

i think all these people that are speaking up now should have opened their mouths a little sooner. what good does it do now?

46. Dani

The abuse of these drugs by others makes it harder for us who require these drugs to obtain them.

47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Carmella, I'm sure every addict can come up with a 'good' reason for their addiction, but ultimately it's their own choice. He was offered help and refused it.

48. GW

It is a shame that the death of Michael jackson is what is needed to bring this drug concern to light....I am sure this type of thing has been going on all over the country for years...if an individual has the cash...he will be able to find doctors that will over-prescribe.....as the old saying goes..."Money talks"

July 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. ekta

wow is this for real?

July 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Devna AC360°

@Jo Ann – Interesting point. As Dr. Gupta explained, if you start with a small dosage of a drug, you develop a tolerance. Think of something as simple as caffeine and the individual and lifetime effect it can have.

July 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |