July 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/09

The memorial service is over, but there are new twists in the investigation surrounding Michael Jackson’s death. There’s also word tonight that the Jackson family tried an intervention to get Michael to stop using drugs. Overseas, President Obama is meeting with the world’s economic powers in Italy for the G8 conference where the global financial crisis is taking center stage. Weigh in on these and other stories.

Want to know we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Julie - Boston

I am sure MJ was a wonderful parent, very kind and loving. I hope they will live "normal" lives.

July 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

I noticed how loving the kids are with each other. They seem to look out for one another and cherish each other. I'm so glad about that.

July 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Beth from Petaluma

Did I miss something – actually I haven't watched the show yet, but I'm really confused here – was it ever reported or said that Dr. Klein's sperm was used in the pregnancy of Debbie Rowe? I feel so sorry for Michael's kids – if we thought Michael had an identity problem, I can only imagine how his kids will feel. Hopefully the family and friends are going to surround them with love and support and not make a circus out of their lives.

July 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Alex (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

Fatal attraction!! Absolutely scary. Fine line between love and hate exists indeed. I don't believe that purely loving someone can result to killing or hurting them. I think there are more extenuating and aggravating circumstances that lead to it apart from psychological reasons. The mere fact she was planning to move with him (not being a "stalker") and him being shot on her bed tells more. Besides, wasn't she arrested for a DUI a couple of days beforehand?? Rocky relationships including sex always is way off and unstabling for the more emotionally involved. Just, IMHO. 🙂

July 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Nattada, Houston TX

Why is it so hard for some man to be faithful to his wife and kids? The kids in this situation are the ones who take most effect of what happened. Poor kids.

July 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Jacqueline, NY

the memorial yesterday was so sad yesterday. It bought my family and me to tears.

July 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Lisa A. - Philadelphia, PA

@Lori – I feel you. I don't have children, but the thought of anyone trying to take my child from me enrages me, let alone selling him. It seems so tragic to see this story with these children being sold into their tragic deaths up against the Jackson children and their grief. At least the Jackson children have a hope for a bright future, with the right love, compassion and guidance. What do these children being used by the Taliban have?

July 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Tony T

The US should be doing much more than we are to get these ladies back. It makes us look very weak to just let them stay there with no efforts at all being made to secure their freedom.

July 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Children who are raised to reach their top potential and taught proper manners, look and act like these children....it is normal to me.

They are very intelligent and grounded.

July 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Every time I see the clip of Paris' eulogy, I start to cry again. Michael's children are a testament to the love Jackson showed toward both them and the world. My heart goes out to those brave kids.

July 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Tiffany

I wish Michael Jackson's family could mourn in PEACE. it breaks my heart to see Paris Jackson speak.

July 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Jacqueline, NY

I'm sorry, but something doesn't sound right about the explanation for the murder suicide. I'm guessing there is something deeper... On second thought, perhaps not. Did you hear about the teenager here in NY who killed teenage boyfriend over another girl? Teenagers! Too sad. There is too little value placed on life.

July 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Tammy, Houma, LA

Was this McNair murder-suicide a twisted Shakespearean play? Sounds like it. Unfortunately it wasn't on stage but reality.

July 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

To me that was not love, love does not hurt.

July 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Nancy

I'm 71. I can't imagine at age 20 being able to commit murder and suicide. I was so innocent. I guess times have changed.

July 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Bob S - Melbourne

Interesting comments by the professor, but he is someone that professes knowledge, doubt that he ever investigated an actual crime.

July 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

I feel for McNair's wife and kids. It may have been the possibility that she had no idea of the affair up until she heard he was killed by his misstress.

July 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Imani G.

Killed by the other woman...tragic for the family

July 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

Too bad adults having affairs don't stop to think about what it does to their children - my heart goes out to McNair's children in this tragic situation.

July 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I think Anderson was trying to get more to the psychological implications of shooting someone while they are sleeping. Not sure why Prof. Fox didn't seem to be getting it...

July 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Steph Jones - Houston, TX

I'm glad we are still talking about Michael Jackson. His situation brings up issues that we should be discussing like how we define "family" in America and drug addiction. For those that don't want to talk or hear about Michael Jackson, cable offers many fine programming options for your viewing pleasure. Please change your channel.

July 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Isabel, Brazil

@Krasi

Ops... I refer to the G8+5 (the eight known) and the more the emerging economies.

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Jasmine

@Starr, that is a very good question....3 day wait period.....

I think they might have changed that in Texas....

and if you're angry enough..the trigger of a gun can look pretty friendly to where anyone can pull it.

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Chantelle, Atlanta

Hi Anderson,
    My best friend lost a lot of her hair after she had an operation a few years ago, and the doctors told her that it was due to the anesthesia. She was reminded of this when that source claimed that Michael Jackson had no hair left. So, what we've been wondering is if there might be a connection between the alleged Diprivan use and the reported hair loss?
    I'm looking forward to your interview with President Obama next week!

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Lori from IL

@ Starr - who would sell their children – period? I just can't get my head wrapped around selling your child, let alone to be used and killed!

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Tammy, Houma, LA

The murder-suicide of Steve McNair and his girlfriend is so sad. I cannot imagine being his wife trying to wrap herself around her husband's death and an affair. And to explain this to their kids? The betrayal. Jeez.

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to Steve McNair's wife and kids, I found out that last weekend it broke the story Steve McNair found dead. That is so scary news to hear. I don't know why she shot him many times and she killed herself.

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Jennifer Novacek

Palin's statement that she is trying to save AK taxpayers the expense of frivolous ethics compaints is looking pretty thin. David Murrow, spokesperson for the governor, claims the money is budgeted to lawyers in advance and had they not been investigating the ethics complaints, the money would be paid to them anyway. The only hitch is that the lawyers would have been doing other government business rather than following up on ethics violations.

July 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Alex (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

G' Evening, everyone! Different topics as always. Always a great show.

As for MJ, is there such a thing as R.I.P. nowadays?

I agree. The gall of Kim Jong to show publicly is expected sp. for someone trying to outbest his father and prove himself ruthless & brute. Prayers to Ling and Lee.

July 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Julie - Boston

How often do married men leave their wives for the other woman?? Would love to se a statistic on this, I don't think the % is high. She must have been unstable.

July 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Jacqueline, NY

I am sorry for the tragedy, but what kind of excuse is that to cheat?

July 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

When you have a case like this, do the police investigate as thoroughly as they would if the suspect were still alive?

July 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Cynthia, NC

Did any neighbors of Steve McNair hear the gunshots? I find it difficult to believe that no one heard anything, after five shots were fired.

July 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

@ Anderson - hoping that when you show the interview with President Obama next week, you can give us some backgound on Ghana to put this trip in perspective.

(Don't you ever miss sleeping in your own bed!!)

July 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi Anderson,
    Have a safe trip. How about we trade places, I'll go on your trip and you take my place here in Vegas, ha.

July 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. rob

calling him white, bald, and emaciated isn't revealing anything too private about his health

July 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Sarah Palin makes smart wowen look stupid by falling for this excuse .I couldn't make sense of what she said in her speech what is the basketball analogy mean ?

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Debbie Howard

I am turning 50yrs. old this Aug. and feel so very thankful to the Jackson 5 and Michael for all of the years of love and music they gave!!
    My deepest sympathy goes out to all of you and may God help you in this very sad time.
    The memorial couldn't of been any better for all.
    Love,
    A fan

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why did McNair feel the need to "search" for anything in the bed of another woman? He should have stayed home with his wife and kids.

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Heather - Spokane, WA

This story definetly sounds like a fatal attraction case

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Sabrina In Las Vegas

OMG....guns are evil.

let material stuff go. I have had everything but a guy and lost everything...it sucks at times but man to kill yourself or someone else over....get over it.

That is just crazy.

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Shelly

I met Michael Jackson in 2003, I was very fortunate to take a picture with him as well get his autograph. I still have my ticket stub from the 1984 Victory Tour along with the program form the concert. How can fans purchase the offical booklet from his memorial service without getting it from ebay and having greedy money hungrey people profiting off of Michael. I would love to purchase the program from a valid source. Please help the true fans out.

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. starr formerly known as vincent

What happened to the 3 day wait period for a gun?

I guess she got it illegally?

God bless both their souls.

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Jasmine

this McNair story sounds like a Soap Opera. The more we find out, the more questions will be asked.

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Natasha

Anderson, as a Ghanaian I have to say I'm happy that you specifically will be interviewing President Obama on his visit.

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Keisha

Hello Anderson! Is it possible that CNN can post the pictures they used as backgrounds for Michael Jackson's Memorial banners? Those black and white pictures are awesome. I greatly appreciate it!

July 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Joyce

I think someone should ask the right question regarding who is the Biological Father of Michaels' children. I believe Dr. Klein is answering the question as though he was not the "Daddy" - not about BIOLOGICAL, since he wasn't an active parent as far as the children are concerned

July 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Minou, New York City

give the farmers of Helmand a chance of making a decent living by planting crops and the Taliban problem will be eliminated automatically. Afghans are not radical blood-thirsty fanatics. All they want is some stability and to be able to feed and clothes their children.

July 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Lori from IL

@ Erica - I like it on the cool side too (family complains that I'm "freezing them out"), so on this one I would have to vote with AC.

July 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    I agree with you!!!!!! Yeah, I wish I wanted to be reporter on the roof!!! LOL!

July 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |