July 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/09

The memorial service is over, but there are new twists in the investigation surrounding Michael Jackson’s death. There’s also word tonight that the Jackson family tried an intervention to get Michael to stop using drugs. Overseas, President Obama is meeting with the world’s economic powers in Italy for the G8 conference where the global financial crisis is taking center stage. Weigh in on these and other stories.

Want to know we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ayodele Akinola

Sara Palins paradigm is akin to the maxim “quitters don’t win and winners don’t quit”. Alaska and America deserves a winner not Sarah Palin the quitter.

July 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Sabrina In Las Vegas

TIME magazine had a great cover "unfaithfully ever after"

Cheating spouses and the decline of marriage.

What happened to people staying together for life?

I would like to marry again and be with that person until I die...as the original vow says....not just lip service.

July 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. kent

Anytime the critic says "always," as in "Sarah Palin always put herself before the state of Alaska," I have to think there may be some bias. That could be overstated, you think?

July 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Tammy, Houma, LA

Just watching those coffins return home took the breath out of me for a second. It's like reliving my friend's death each time another soldier dies. Not sure this was such a great idea for those who've survived no matter how great the political gains from using them to make a point.

July 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

The McNair story is so tragic!

July 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Wouldn't Dr.Klein be afraid about being sued for making theser statments how does he know he had lupus i never knew he had this .

July 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Greg, Austin Tx

I'm with AC on the a/c .. can't get enough of it. I'd do just fine living in Anchorage. Even then I'd need .. a/c.

July 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Jennifer

Im tired of Sarah Palin,I don't care to here anything else about her, please just let her sail away on her fishing boat.

Jennifer

July 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Judy, I wouldn't trust anything the AEG people say. After hearing Anderson's interview with them, I am convinced that they would have forced Jackson to go on tour no matter how sickly he was to try and squeeze every penny out of the tour.

July 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

Interesting report by Tom Foreman - but could the raising fatalities in Afghanistan be because we took our "eye off the ball" in that country when we entered into war in Iraq - and the lower troop levels allowed the Talliban to regroup, making the country more dangerous? Plus, I think the terrain in Afghanistan makes it a much more dangerous place for combat.

July 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Quitting the game is so easy.

July 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Jacqueline, NY

Personal, I like it hot. 80 degrees is comfortable. Anything below, I start to freeze like right now. The temp in NYC is about 70-74 (I'm guessing), and it to cool for me....

AC, I need Africa heat. May I go with you, please? I promise, you won't even know I'm around. I'll stay out of the way and be as quiet as a mouse. LOL!

July 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Cessy, Chicago

i've seen bits and pieces of the memorial...I particularly liked the part when Brooke Shields spoke. It is, I think one of the honest speech as she really knew who Michael was, unlike the other ones who were in attendance. Some werent even born, some do not have a business of being there.

July 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Cindy PA

Pray for our troops! War is so ...! God bless them and the U.S. in the words of MJ "We are the world...heal the world...if you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change"

July 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Karen (Lincoln NE)

OK, can someone please address how it is Obama's fault that other countries won't come on board with the climate change? And the watered down bill is expressly the fault of the republicans. They are bleating about the stimulus and still they offer NO solutions. I get very frustrated that John Boehner gets to criticize while his party is in complete disarray and they STILL have no ideas to offer.

July 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  16. starr formerly known as vincent

WHO would sell their children to the Taliban to be used and killed.

I know that in some cultures life is cheap, but CHildren?!!

July 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  17. LorenaR

heard around these here parts: "stupid women love sarah palin."
    and, educated, intelligent women are embarrassed by her.

July 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The kids should be home schooled and away from the public eye and other prying people trying to get at them they need a peacful life .

July 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Elaine Kleiner

Hi Anderson. Sarah Palin is trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the country to cover her incompetence. Keep holding her feet to the fire.

July 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Krasi

Let's hope the loss of those lives is not for nothing.

July 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Why didn't he mention that it was when the surge in Iraq started that the casualties dropped? You know, the surge Obama opposed.

July 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I also wondered why Dr. Klein was so "open" about MJ's medical issues. What he said about MJ having Lupus and Vitiligo does coincide with what Dr. Deepak Chopra said.

Makes me wonder why MJ would want to conceive children knowing that they could inherit these autoimmune diseases that created so much pain in his life.

July 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Bob S

Sarah Palin and her reasons for leaving (not quiting) the executive leadership of the State of Alaska, remind me of explanations that my two daughters gave me when they messed up when they were 7-10 years old. They grew up, ............it appears that she hasn't.

July 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Brent (Austin, TX)

Palin's early exit from office is representative of nearly everything she has done while in office as governor and while campaigning with John McCain for the Presidency in 2008: Ill-conceived and poorly explained. Her complete lack of rationality in the decisions she makes is exemplified in her decision to leave office without a valid reason.

July 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Sharon Wright

Hi guys, just caught that Alaskan woman who's challenging Palin....wow "Back at chya" I thought Sarah had her own way of talking. Apparently it's an Alaskan thing. LOL or as we say in Canada eh?

July 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Renee

@ Chris, it's a Boston thing! All my aunts hate the AC when they come to FL. You don't think they want to spend an extra dime on electric, do you?

July 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Philip B, if MJ loved his kids so much why did he chose a course of action that predictably left them alone?

July 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Cessy, Chicago

good evening everyone...I'm back in the states! I missed you guys!

It looks like you've been busy travelling as well, Anderson! 😀

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I am praying for you so hard, I hope you will fly your trip to Africa this week, Good luck Anderson!!!!! I couldn't wait see you interview president really good!

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Jasmine

The Helmand River Valley is such a precious place because of the profitability .....the military should centralize in that area.

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Mark- Kansas

People elect their governors to serve a full term – unless they are appointed to other offices (like our gov was during her second term to be the Secretary of HHS). For Palin to proclaim herself a "lame duck" governor during her first term shows she didn't think she would be re-elected and it shows that she's a quitter.

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Dillon Ancheta -HI

Michael Joseph Jackson moonwalked his way to the top of the charts, and into our hearts...

Even though he is no longer with us physically, he lives on through his music spiritually, and through the huge impact that he has left on this world...An impact in which no one else could have left...

May he forever rest in peace...

-Dillon

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Judy

MJ conflicts: coroner indicated that Michael was white as paper, bald and emaciated. AEG executives and videos indicate otherwise. How can there be such a difference in stories?

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Why does AC like the a/c so cranked up like that i guess he's hot blooded ha!

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Jen

Seriously Alaska,
    She's stepped down doesn't that you leave in the passing lane.
    Jen / Toronto

July 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Grace

i remember seeing the black or white music video for my first time it was the first time seeing Michael Jackson and loving it, but i also feel that the Jackson children should be given pricacy through this tough time especially after seeing Paris' comments yesterday it told me that although we don't see it they are going through alot of pain

July 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson and everyone.

It has been a long time away from live blog. Glad to be back.

Tiffany, I agree with you, Paris was very brave. I did not think I would tear up yesterday, but I did when I heard her. My heart goes out to all of MJ's kids.

July 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Imani G.

Poor Children, they can't even watch tv without there fathers death in there face...

July 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Genevieve M, TX

Erica, at least it's cooler in NYC!! Here in West Texas, it is so hot that an egg can cook to hard boil just by putting it outside for 5 minutes!

Today was hotter than usual, so hot, that a planned outdoor b-day party (for me) was postponed for the weekend when it will be cooler. 🙁

July 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

So let me think about this. Sarah Palin might run against Barrack Obama in 2012. Okay by me. I'm sure it's okay with Obama too.

July 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Stacy

@ Joe. I agree. It's time to move on. I really hope the family is keeping those kids away from all forms of media these days.

July 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Lisa A. - Philadelphia, PA

These Taliban children, is there any hope they can get out of this horrible situation? What can be done?

July 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

@Erica I love ac but it has been over 106%! It is hotter than a pot of collards I like AC too

July 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Jacqueline, NY

@Erica, "the only downside to AC: he loves the a/c!"

Oh, how I feel for you.
    Well, they don't call him AC for nothing. LOL!
    Wait a minute, you can get back at him by sending him LOL's! 🙂

July 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Sarah Palin is not a fighter she is a quitter she is not firfnishing her term and if she was V.P. or Presedient of U.S.A she couldn't quit now could she umm?

July 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Honesty is the best policy...if people lived that way they wouldn't have to remember the backstory they created.

July 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. michael armstrong sr.

When you dont finish what you start it's normally defined as quitting the truth is Sarah couldnt stand the heat so she got out of the kitchen .

July 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Imani G.

Erica Hill: lol i need the a/c on at all times too, but unlik anderson i don't control the temperature at my job

July 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. LorenaR

LOL, do we expect serious philosphical observations from a woman in waders? what are waders anyway? they look funny. lol. but then i have never been fishing.

July 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. starr formerly known as vincent

On Palin:

In all honesty, i get that she has been bombared with criticisms, law suits, etc. But the sign of a real leader is one who can handle more than one thing at a time.

Also, a leader does not abandon their state (who voted her in) and expect to be respected.

Basically, it seems that she wants to get on to business, whatever that will be for her.

July 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |