July 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/09

The memorial service is over, but there are new twists in the investigation surrounding Michael Jackson’s death. There’s also word tonight that the Jackson family tried an intervention to get Michael to stop using drugs. Overseas, President Obama is meeting with the world’s economic powers in Italy for the G8 conference where the global financial crisis is taking center stage. Weigh in on these and other stories.

Want to know we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon

I strongly feel that Pain is hiding something and it is about to come out and that is the real reason why she is stepping down.

July 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Jasmine

Palin used cronyism? Doesn't everyone use cronies to get what they want?

July 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Tiffany

Michael Jackson was a wonderful man, a great musician, talented dancer, and a inspiring humanitarian. The day he passed he took a piece of the world with him. I thank God for blessing the world with his wonderful creation. There's nothing anyone can say that can make me think or feel differently of him. His legacy he left behind will always remain. Hopefully now he can rest in peace, and he will always be embedded in our hearts.

July 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Erica I agree with you it's great to have Anderson not on the roof of the Cnn bulding @Anderson why don't they put you in a studio when you are in L.A?

July 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. eleanor coombs, ga.

I think Palin was ill advised

July 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Nate

God, when will this country see that Sarah Palin stop these chronic babbling diatribes. She's a mindless woman that can not run her own family, own state, own mind. Anderson... please, please stop giving this trainwreck fee air time. I'm a 50 yo Republican that just can't take this mindless human being another moment.

July 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Philip B in Houston

Hello Anderson.So Good to see you..Please the media should leave Michael's Children paternity issue alone, i feel so sory for the kids that instead of mourning their fathers death they will be dealing with the issues circulating all over the media about who their real dad is....The important thing is that michael loved the kids as a father/dad

July 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

In Brazil, there is a request of the Attorney General's Office to the Supreme Court requires the recognition of civil union between homosexuals.

Here too there are signs of progress. 🙂

July 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  9. tomi

michael was a loving man let his family be..... why are they getting attacked?

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Erica – I always get in trouble for freezing people out of the house, car, etc. What is it with you anti-air people? 😛

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Susan R. From Maine, USA

Palin, what a joke! There is a smelly fish somewhere in her pocket.
    I wouldn't vote for her if she was the only candidate running for any position.

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Anderson i am looking forward to your interview with the Presdident on Monday safe travel and i hope you ask about the economy and jobs here back home too .

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Jacqueline, NY

@Sabrina "can’t believe that they are using children for suicide missions now…yikes."

This is not just starting, unfortunately.

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Joe

The media was all over MJ when he was alive and they are still at it when he's dead, they will never let him rest. They don't know when to stop. He's gone, let him rest peacefully.

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Crystal

I think Micheal Jackson is resting in peace. He was a beautiful spirit. I'm glad that I was around to witness him grace the world with his presence. He probaly was taking the sleeping medication to get some good rest for his upcoming tour in London. One thing is for sure: There will never be another like MJ. All hail the king.

July 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. ericacnn

hi, everyone. it's good to have AC back in the studio... before he jets off again!

the only downside to AC: he loves the a/c! 🙂

July 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Dominick

Michael and McNair, let's try to remember the good things they both did. We all have made some sort of mistakes.

July 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

Since Sarah Palin says that she is not a quitter and that she is a fighter, what does she call someone quitting an elected office position? That doesnt sound like a fighter to me.

July 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

Anderson - Looking forward to your interview with President Obama in Ghana. Wishing you safe travels.

July 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. deb

Michael Jacson was a wonderful performer, and the memorial service
    was beautiful, but the coverage was far more extravagant than most political figures. The amount of money that went into security and taking away officers from their daily duties was excessive. Why can't the Jackson's help foot the bill that the city has to pay. Aren't we cutting
    the budget for education and other important issues?

July 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Krasi

Isabel, isn't China the 8 in G8? It used to be G7 some time ago and then China joined in.

July 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Cindy PA

how can you not call Palin a quitter? She quit!!! WOW what's next a don't call a person who robs a bank a bank robber? HUH!!??!

July 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Rose

I am really wondering what the doctor meant when he was questioned about the paternity of the kids.

July 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

thanks for reporting on Sarah Palin. I need a good belt out laugh!

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Minou, New York City

Kim Jong IL looks a lot older than 67...I wonder if they lie about his age.

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. LorenaR

@starr vincent i agree with you. why is the stim money moving at such a slow pace? they said even shovel-ready projects would take months to actually start

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Krasi

Ethnic violence, religious violence, gender violence – so sad that's the world we live in.

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Imani G.

Patience people !! we Americans are used to fast paced action and reaction but everything is not going to work that way...

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Evelyn Jester

How does visiting a doctor get to involve the donation of sperm and the involvement of a nurse as a surrogate mother? Isn't this a bit strange?

Dr. Klein got way too involved in the personal affairs of a patient and so did his office. He went way over the line.

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  30. lorraine

the inabiliy to intervene in an addicts life is frightening. the best and brightest in the land need to develop prevention. intervention and law enforcement in this country,,,,otherwise, what is the point? tolerance becomes negligence....

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  31. steve

M J is in heaven dancing with the angels.

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Back in New York...getting ready to make the hop to Africa over the weekend. Have a safe trip.

Glad to see Lisa Ling got to speak to her sister. I hope they get released soon.

I can't believe that they are using children for suicide missions now...yikes.

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Jacqueline, NY

Anderson,

Oh how I would love to go to Africa with you to interview the president.

July 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Hunny

Leave Mj alone already and let him rest in peace! For that he was ..he was still a great humanitarian!

July 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Alexa

MJ will be remembered in history and already is. He's such a preformer and an inspiration. I love how you could see the happiness. His smile just makes you smile. Let Michael R.I.P. We love you and will think of you always Michael:)
    -Alexa

July 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Isabel, Brazil

Correction:
    The china is not in the G8 (the guest)

July 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Randy

What I dont get is why is everyone hiding the facts about michaels death just say the truth already

July 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

I haven't really heard much from the Obama administration about a second stimulus bill being needed - seems to be other pundits and commentators floating this idea. Did I miss something?

July 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Michele

I think that if they want donations they should give a Michael Jackson Memorial Boolklet for everyone that sends in a donation. Instead of letting these people sell them on e-bay and make so much money of of them. Not even a hour after the Memorial they were selling them on e-bay for 4 and 5 hundred dollars.

July 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Renee

Aren't there fines that need to be paid if healthcare folks violate HIPPA either monetarily or criminally?

July 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Jacqueline, NY

Good evening all!

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. An

Hi Anderson.

Hi bloggers.

Hi Anderson, It is good to see your blog's writing. And wish you are having a safe show tonight. Honestly I am scared of your show's safety because it it trully much hard so sorry!

An.

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. LorenaR

thank you Mr David Gergen for your comments. I am really hoping that VP Joe Biden can overcome his early reputation of an "irrepressible" jokester. He has a distinguished record in national and world affairs; and the Obama administration does not need a court jester.

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. khamsing

hi anderson where erica tonight?????

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  45. eleanor coombs, ga

Darn it, I missed Gergen. I sure have been missing you guys. I need a new lap top for the trips. How's everyone doing?

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Krasi

Honestly, the world and the US are facing so many serious issues nowadays, I have no idea how those in charge sleep at night. It just shows us that despite the ease of connecting with and learning about other cultures thanks to technology, there is still so much that separates all nations. I truly hope a common ground is discovered for the good of every nation not just certain ones.

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Jasmine

Hey bloggers....

President in Italy....hopefully he can have a warmer welcome there rather than in Moscow.

Sarah Palin? She still has flown over the cuckoo's nest.

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Kim

I did an experiment and you would not believe how easy it is to get diprivan. I talked to online customer service and they told me it was legal for me to get it. At first they said oh you need a prescription and I said well, I don't have one. They told me to just fill out the online form and they would sent it to me. So if I can get it, of course MJ can get it.

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. vanessa

good night Anderson, In my opinion Michael Jackson three children life should not be upset any more than it already is. I feel they should continue their life as it was with their "daddy" without him. I also thought the children should have had on hats or sunglasses like their Aunts & Uncles because Blanket was uncomfortable on stage. Pain is subjective and one have to experience it in order to understand it.

July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Sumera-Maryland

Hello Anderson,

It is nice to hear that Michael Jackson's family had tried to help him. Any help from his close friends?

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |