July 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/09

The memorial service is over, but there are new twists in the investigation surrounding Michael Jackson’s death. There’s also word tonight that the Jackson family tried an intervention to get Michael to stop using drugs. Overseas, President Obama is meeting with the world’s economic powers in Italy for the G8 conference where the global financial crisis is taking center stage. Weigh in on these and other stories.

Want to know we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cindy S., Valparaiso, Indiana

David Gergen is insightful and reassuring. I think he's right about Joe Biden: he says what he thinks even if he shouldn't.

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Cindy PA

WOW! Steve McNair situation is really sad. I feel for his wife this man was truly living a double life!

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Imani G.

I agree with Wendy...if some in your family died...would you want all this speculation and accusation made public.

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Lisa

No matter how one feels about Michael Jackson, his legacy will always be his music, his generosity, his heart and his children.

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Isabel, Brazil

@Anderson @ David Gergen

The china is in the G8 (as guest). Some members of the G20 are as guests, but has no active voice.

Do you think there will be agreements and progress in this meeting?

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Tiffany

Good evening. I've heard many people say that Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris, should not have spoke out at her father's funeral. I just wanted to say that it was more than appropriate. She was paying her respects to her late and great father, and expressing herself. She was very brave.

July 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. starr formerly known as vincent

I f i remember correctly, Pres. Obama did say it would take a long time and would cure everything.

It does seem that the stim money is moving at a very slow pace.

Thanks Anderson & David G. good discussion

July 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

That was heartbreaking of Micheal's daughter Paris breaking down and telling everyone how much she missed and loved her father .I cried along with her .

July 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

States desperately need the stimulus money. Pennsylvania is facing a $3 billion deficit this year and is in the middle of very painful budget negotiation for next year (already overdue). Without the stimulus, things would be much worse and I'm not sure what the state would do.

July 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Jennifer

Michael Jacksons daughter touched my heart yesterday. I think the children say alot about the parent, and it appears that Michael Jackson must of been exaclty what his little girl said, the best father anyone could ever imagine.It still brings tears to my eyes to think about it.

July 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    My heart goes to Paris Jackson...... I love Michael Jackson Memorial service, it touch my heart........ Thank you for coverage for Michael Jackson Memorial service, Thank you Anderson....

July 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Tammy, Houma, LA

Medical privacy laws do extend past death. When I was working as a counselor in a inpatient treatment facility and a former patient would die, we were not allowed to discuss the case outside of staffing. It's a violation of federal law. These people are up for lawsuits (and should be).

July 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

It's so sad that even his famliy couldn't stop him from using drugs .They loved him so much but he couldn't let them in to help .

July 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! What a night, all ready?

July 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Sharon Hastings

Good point Janine. I'm suspicious of all these people. Why do they even agree to come on TV? The doctor complained about the need for privacy for the family and the children and yet he comes on national television to blab away.

July 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  16. mark from united kingdom

good morning anderson and the team would love 2 say that i have loved all the news u have been doing on michael jackson it is def worth staying up till 3am for u go in 2 so much detail keep up the good work

July 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Margaret Woosnam

Though Michael Jackson is a major public figure, he is entitled to SOME privacy. Discussing the removal of parts of his brain and whether he is the biological father of the children can only be extremely upsetting to his family and, I think, to his fans at this time. Please let us remember the Michael we enjoyed and leave the rest alone.

July 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  18. Wendy Armstrong

I am praying that the Judge honor MJ will, and the media leave the children alone. My heart goes out to the children.

July 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

Caught part of Dr. Klein's interview with Larry King - seemed to be very free with Michael's medical information, but when it came to a paternity question of MJ's two oldest children, he was pretty evasive.

July 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Evening Anderson

The cause of Micheal's death should not be made public he had enough of spotlight on him let him rest in peace.No one has the right to expoit him like this .

July 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Imani G.

Hello World!! ...its been a long time since i blogged..cant wait to jump in 🙂

July 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Krasi

Countries that are used to power really do not like others telling them what to do.

July 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. barb wallace, ab canada

why would a dematologist be giving patients demerol injections?

July 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think it is a surprise to anyone that Michael Jackson was a drug addict, but it is surprising that more was not done to help him.

Frankly, I didn't believe a word Dr. Klein said.

July 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening, everyone. Looking forward to the show tonight. Wish my Tivo wasn't stuck. At least I can see the show.

July 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Lee

The lives and tragedies of MJ and McNair remind us of the importance of focusing on the priorities and values of our life... before it's too late.

July 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Cynthia, NC

Great investigation work by Drew Griffin with the info that Jackson family members were attempting an intervention to help Michael. I wish they had been successful two years ago.

July 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Christa Maloney

This is so sad. I still can't believe MJ is gone.

July 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Jaime

It is impossible to articulate the profound impact that Michael Jackson had on not only the world as a whole, but it's people as individuals. The joy he brought and the unity he inspired through his incredible music, his selfless generosity, his kind heart, his brilliant mind and his gentle soul were his gifts to us. And for those of us who's lives he touched, he will always be loved, cherished, appreciated, respected, remembered and revered. My heart, like the hearts of so many, aches with the loss and smiles with the love of Michael Jackson.

July 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Minou, New York City

hi all...thought the blog was down..

very nice of the Jackson sisters to address the fans.
    I saw the LK interview with the doctor. Very interesting, although I am always suspicious of people who seek out the cameras to "speak out". He seemed nice, let's hope he didn't contribute to MJs addiction.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Jules

It's sad to hear that the family tried to intervene but weren't successful. I wonder if there is a way to "force" someone to be committed to a treatment facility based on family concerns. How else can a similar situation be averted?

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and bloggers.

Troubling news regarding the extent of Jackson's drug dependency. A sad reminder of the dangers of abuse. I was aware of Janet and Michael's distance as of late, but was unaware that his drug dependency was the issue at hand.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Cathy Pollock-Grieve

Michael Jackson has been referred to by many, many people over the years as, “Michael”, “The King of Pop”, “Man in the Mirror”, “The Gloved One”, (the list of cool and not so cool names go on and on and on) . But It was for the first time yesterday on CNN that I (and most likely most of the general public) heard a child, his child, refer to him as “Daddy” in her heart-wrenching speech and all of a sudden it dawned on me…he was also someone’s daddy. My heart goes out to the family.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you back from the rooftop.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wish CNN and 360 would leave Michael Jackson's kids alone. It is not important to talk about them. Stop exploiting them and leave them in peace. Michael would not have wanted this for them.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Tammy, Houma, LA

Hi everyone,

Michael Jackson's story gets more sad every day. Addiction is a pretty strong disease. Family doesn't matter, especially when that family is trying to help.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  37. andersoncnn

Good question Janine, as far as i know medical privacy laws extend pass death.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Kathy

What are we going to learn from this doctor? Michael had surgery, Michael had medical issues..Real question..how did Michael Jackson die.

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Teresa

Shouldn't the investigators look at the insurance physical? How could pass that and been using drugs and been so cachetic?!

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Mary Eberhard

We will never forget you Michael, try to RIP....mary

July 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  41. Cindy S., Valparaiso, Indiana

I agree with Mike. Enough about MJ...

July 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

It's good to see you back in NYC, and not on the roof anymore 🙂

July 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica, and Fellow Bloggers -

Good to see Anderson back in the NY studio -

No Webcam tonight or is it just my computer?

July 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone

July 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

ahem, I thought you guys got tired of us there for a minute! Good evening 360 team and tweets and friends.
    I predict this MJ thing is going to get creepier and creepier~

July 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and 360 team, all bloggers. The doctor's interview was very interesting but I felt like alot of it was double talk. Maybe it was just the way he talked. We are never going to get this whole story.

July 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  47. andersoncnn

evening everyone.. thanks for joining us tonite.

July 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hi Anderson. I'm hoping this won't be another hour of MJ.

July 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Janine from PA.

I'd like to know why Dr. Klein is talking about all this private stuff about Mr. Jackson? Aren't there privacy laws? Did someone give him permission or is it ok to discuss your dead patients?

July 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

Evening, Anderson... you delayed today! 🙂
    Evening, 360 team, David (Indiana) and friends!

July 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |