July 8th, 2009

Dermatologist says 'to best of my knowledge' he's not Jackson kids' dad

Debbie Rowe, seen here in 2005, is the mother of two of Jackson's children, but it is not clear who the biological father is.

Alan Duke
CNN

Michael Jackson's dermatologist did not rule out that he may be the biological father of Jackson's children, and Dr. Arnold Klein denied that he ever gave Jackson dangerous drugs.

Klein, in an interview Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America," denied he was on the list of doctors being investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department.

When he saw that someone gave Jackson a dangerous drug he was the one "who limited everything, who stopped everything," Klein said.

Jackson danced around Klein's Beverly Hills office just three days before his death and was "not in terrible pain," Klein said.

Debbie Rowe, who was briefly married to Jackson and gave birth to his two oldest children, worked for 23 years in Klein's office, he said. The doctor refused to say if he thought Rowe should get custody of them, instead of Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson.

"I can't make those answers, because should have and will are two different things," he said.

Klein's response when Diane Sawyer asked if he was the biological father of Jackson's children left open the possibility that he was.

"Not to the best of my knowledge," Klein said. "All I can tell you is, best of my knowledge, I am not the father of these children. But I am telling you, if push comes to shove, I can't say anything about."

Klein said he "can't answer it in any other way because, you know what, I don't want to feed any of this insanity that is going around."

Katherine Jackson was given temporary guardianship of the children by a judge several days after her son's death. Rowe was considering if she will seek custody or visitation of the two born to her, her lawyer said last week.

The Los Angeles County coroner is waiting for toxicology test results - not due for at least another week - before determining what killed Jackson last month. The death certificate listed the cause of death as "deferred."

Sources told CNN Tuesday that when Jackson collapsed his arms were riddled with marks and their veins had collapsed - both characteristics found in intravenous drug users. The revelations add to the growing speculation that prescription drugs played a part in Jackson's death.

Klein said when Jackson came to his office the week of his death, there were no indications anything was wrong - no "problems of slurred speech, shorten movement or anything."

"I saw nothing at that point that would make me worry whatsoever," he said. "But I was always concerned about him, because I was always worried about other doctors."

He said "the problem with Michael" was that because he was rich "no matter what he wanted, someone would give it to him."

Klein said he once convinced Jackson not to take Dilantin, a drug he was "10 times stronger than morphine."

"I said, 'You can't take that. It's poison. Throw that in the trash,'" he said. "And I got him to throw it in the toilet. But I can't be there every minute."

Klein said LAPD investigators have not contacted him and he is "not one of the doctors" being questioned about Jackson's drug use.

"I have given him medication, yes." he said. "He could take all the medication I have given him in a year and nothing would happen to him."

Klein said he has "sedated him in the past" when he "put him through very painful procedures.

"There was nothing wrong with the manner I treated Michael, because what I had to do is restructure for an individual who had lupus, who had terrible acne scarring his face," he said.

Klein was scheduled to talk to CNN's Larry King about Michael Jackson Wednesday night.

Filed under: 360º Follow • Michael Jackson
  1. Frank Donadio

I am friends with M. Jackson's doctor Arnold Klien and I know he is a kind person and is innocent of any charges connected with M. Jackson. I met him back in January and attended a party with him presented by Penny Marshall and we spent the whole weekend together, including front row seats to the Cher concert in Las Vegas. I only have fond memories of him. I recall him stating just with M. Jackson 2 weeks ago.

Frank Donadio

July 9, 2009 at 1:04 am |
  2. Erick Chacon

The drug that Michael Jackson supposedly had is Dilaudid (not Dilantin which an anti-epileptic drug). Taken orally, it is about two to three times more powerful than morphine. Taken intravenously, it is eight to ten times as strong as morphine. Unless Michael had excruciating pain (such as that found in poor cancer victims), there is no reason for him to have Dilaudid. Sadly, Michael was a narcotic addict. He then moved on to anesthetic drugs (Diprivan/Propofol). This drug is deadly unless administered by an anesthesiologist in an operating room setting. If any doctors provided him with Diprivan/Propofol for his insomnia, they should be charged with manslaughter (money and greed was probably involved). Michael Jackson is only the tip of the iceberg in Hollywood, where many doctors are willing to prescribe anything for a price. It is sad that Micheal had to die to bring this to the surface.

July 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Sara A-R

Reading this I was taken back. DNA does not make you the parent of a child – I mean okay it's part of it- but beig there taking care of them - stepping up makes you a parent. Therefore MJ's daughter said it best. " ...he was the beat daddy.." and made us all shed tears to hear it. So let's stop speculating about who the father/mother is of these kids. MJ was clearly a great father his kids say so, and that's the only opinion that matters. RIP Micheal Jackson.

July 8, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  4. Mona Andres

it is appalling to interview this "teasing" dermatologist. Imagine the pain these children are experiencing . . . let us not keep scurrying around looking for anyone (no matter their credibility) who may have a tidbit that can be sensationalized.
    I am beginning to understand why Michael wanted them protected . .
    If they have access to television, I hope they don't have to think for a nono second that this man may be their father. This is too much and it is none of our business.
    And to hear the news (not verifiable) that his body was "as white as a sheet and he was bald" is beyond the pale. As Nancy Kerrigan once said: "WHY? WHY? WHY? Disgraceful.

July 8, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  5. Cynthia in Washington

What would be the point of even going down this path. The children has lost their father, it does not matter if he was the biological father or not. It was the father that raised and loved them.
    In any case it is none of the publics business.
    Let those children start on the jounrey of healing.

July 8, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  6. Biniam

Thanks Joseph! I've been thinking about that quote by Anderson, "A fatherless child thinks all things are possible and nothing is safe". Because it reminds me of all the kids I've been mentoring who don't have father's in their lives.

July 8, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  7. Kristin

Well did he "donate" or not? Is there a chance he's the father? Do they comment on their relationship past employer/employee? She says her & MJ used insemination-who's sperm was used? There must be records somewhere that insemination even took place even if the "donor" was kept secret. I think all of these questions have been over looked or gone unanswered, but at least say they were asked & not commented on.

July 8, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  8. Lisa

Okay, you guys got the story wrong about the drug that Dr. Klein says is trash and garbage. He said "Dilaudid", which is a powerful opioid analgesic (pain medication). Dilaudid is 10x as strong as Morphine. He did not say Dilantin, which is an anticonvulsant used for those with seizure disorder. Come on, CNN, I consider you guys to be a reliable source, so let's get it straight so we don't perpetuate any more of the nonsense that is already out there about MJ.

Lisa, RN

July 8, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

How much speculation! Oh, Gosh!

Why does spending so much energy to know if the dermatologist is the biological father or not?

The three children bury their father yesterday and are orphaned. This is what account, alas!

July 8, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  10. De Lacey

as an entertainer he was perfect, as a daddy his love was perfect, as a son he strived to be perfect, as a brother his love again was perfect. M.J displayed the love + forgiveness of Christ, what a crying shame society cant afford this LEGEND, the same. I pray M.J is left to rest in peace. one thing deatth cant erase is the memories, his beautiful children will always have.. De

July 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  11. Heather,ca

Does it really matter. Is it any of our business. The man is dead and the children are without a dad. You would have to be blind and deaf not to see that Michael Jackson loved his children in the say way any parent does. This story which was reportedly told to a tabloid outside the u.s by Debbie Rowe is trash. Michael Jackson may have been strange in public. But it appears he was a wonderful parent in private and that is all that matters. I think this whole story is about gossip, essentially nothing.

July 8, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  12. Jennifer

What is it that worries u? That a black man has white kids? I am black, want to c my kids? They're white! Lots of mixed couples have white and/or black kids. Shud all mixed kids or others who cant mind their business go get a dna test? These are MJ's kids, arent they already suffering enough? They just lost their daddy. Leave the man and his kids alone. Who are u to play god. U didnt raise Michael or his kids. Mind ur own business and have some respect. He isnt here to defend himself and he shudnt have to defend himself. Leave the kids alone. STOP IT.

July 8, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  13. Frank

A doctor saying dilantin is trash and garbage. Hopefully not too many people who take the drug take his words to heart. I am not a medical doctor but take the drug...and I wouldn't want to risk missing too many doses.

July 8, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  14. John Hobarth

Think of those beautiful, heart broken children seeing these comments. They have suffered enough. Leave them alone. Let them be in peace now! All of the Jackson's deserve peace!!!

July 8, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  15. Nadia

Dear Anderson,

I am an American student in medical school in the Caribbean. I watch your television show religiously. I've had the most respect for CNN, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, and yourself. I know that you are all responsible for reporting the news but I think it has just gone to far. I am extremely disappointed with the comprehensive coverage of this story. I am in Dominica, West Indies and on the day of Michael Jackson's death and yesterday every radio station in this country paid tribute by playing his music all day. There was silence in streets and at every little shack that had a television. People were in a trance as they came to grips with the death of the best entertainer that ever lived and one of the most genuine humanitarians that ever lived. In the middle of reporting the great moments of his life and the touching moments of the memorial service what did it matter that someone told CNN his skin was powder white. We are not blind we could see his skin. What is the significance of this information? I am one of his fans but I am also a realist. I know he wasn't perfect but none of us are. I just want to remember his music, his dancing, his smile, and his giving heart. I want him to be at peace so that I can stop crying because I haven't been able to from the day he passed away. If I had something to say to him I would say "Dear Michael, why did you leave us?" But based on this media coverage the last week I can honestly say I understand why.

I miss you MJ! I pray you find rest, peace, and happiness.

Love always

Nadia

July 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  16. Donna

A blood/sperm connection does NOT a parent make. Jackson is/was those children's father. Don't pursue this. These children's biological heritage has not been requested by these children and could be hurtful to them at their young and fragile age/state. When they are grown, then that is the time for them to explore, if they choose to. It is not your place, only theirs. This hits home with me. I AM my daughter's mother, though I am not biologically connected. I got her when she was 6 weeks old, devoted my entire life to her, love her, would give my life for her.... ASK her who her mother is. She is now grown, and if she chooses to search for her birth mother, then I am behind her 100 percent. I would hug this woman for giving her life. We need to realize that it is love, devotion, ties, and memories that made/make this family. Don't destroy that. Don't take their father away from these kids. Don't minimize his role in their lives. Be ashamed. Keep in mind that these comments are from someone who is NOT a Jackson groupie; I'm just a human being. Are you?

July 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  17. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

Angela, here is the quote you asked about.

"A fatherless child thinks all things are possible and nothing is safe."

July 8, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  18. Janice from Boston

None of this is really anyone's business anyway. Why does the media have to go on and on. I am not going to watch CNN for a long time, especially Anderson Cooper who is sensationalizing this death for ratings. I am also boycotting all the tabloids and tabloid TV shows. I am so tired of the hurtful things being said about others that merely use their talent to entertain us. I am tired of hearing about who is fat, who is on drugs, who is dating whom, and I am particularly sick of hearing about Jon and Kate, who the hell are they anyway and why does anyone really care? This is madness.

Young men are dying every day in Iraq. Kids in America go hungry on a daily basis. People die needless deaths in America every day because they lack heathcare. Report on that for awhile. And let poor Michael Jackson rest in peace and leave his children alone. Enough already. Can't you see they are just children. How would you like someone to do that to your children? They are not celebrities. Leave them alone.

Report on some real news for once. And if there is no real news to report about, just shut up. Please. Yes, simply shut up. The world does not need to know all of the worst private details of everyone's life.If you need to talk about MJ, talk about his philanthropy. Focus on something good for once.

Where is the outrage from the public? Why are we acting like lemmings? If we stop watching this nonsense and quit purchasing tabloid gossip rags, we will all be better for it. Instead of spending money on a tabloid, donate the money to a charity. Think how much better that will make you feel.

July 8, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  19. J Kelly

They should do the DNA testing and get it over with. 20 years from now those children deserve the right to know who their biological parents were. I sure would want to know just out of curiosity. If I was adopted I would still consider the folks that raised me my parents, but I'd like to know my background heritige and genetics also. I know to some people it's no big deal, but to some it is. That's my opinion.

July 8, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  20. Rob

What a nasty bit of work here. I am no Jackson fan, but to use this dermatologist's quote in such a suggestive manner is rather ugly. There is not a shard of proof for the suggestion that the man may be the father of the Jackson kids. Do your journalistic work and find proof before you print something like this.
    Or better still – go find an important story and leave these kids alone.

July 8, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  21. Cynthia Wiliams

Please, please, please.....leave these poor kids alone. The reality is Andeson DNA does not make a father, "LOVE" does it is apparent by the way his daughter spoke about her "DADDY" that Michael loved his children unconditionaly. Would it be too much to ask for the press to let Michael Jackson rest in peace and give his family time to heal....how would you feel if the shoe were on the other foot?

July 8, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  22. Sally marsh

He died of lupus. His heart went as it was attacked byspasm

July 8, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  23. candee

I agree with Bri.

Let's let Michael Jackson rest for the first time in a long time.

He's gone through so much.

July 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  24. Valerie Emerson

I think for the kids sake, & only their sake, in the future. Some one needs to put forth the facts of their births and genetic back grounds. & have it available to them and only them if & when they request it. For the rest of the world it is none of your bizz....Yes I agree people are curious but remains a NONE OF YOUR BIZZ TOPIC. If Michael wanted this info known, it would be available. My slant. The kids have a right to know their genetics. & it seems so sad that all the greats seem to some how get mixed up with some form of drug. Leaving one to ask ones self, where the heck where their friends? People who had some influence in that great persons life. Who may have and should have said, Please seek help we love you and dont want to loose you.

July 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  25. Christine

For all the discussions over the cause of Michael's death, the countless hours spent talking about the alleged drug use, I think it's poor journalism that not one news outlet has even discussed the fact that he had Lupus. If you're really investigating his cause of death you'd think you'd at least explore the idea the maybe he passed away from Lupus as most of this disease sufferers die in their 40s and 50s. Lupus and Vitiligo also explains a lot of Michael's behavior from the masks to his skin. Since we pay so much attention to how he looked, at least be fair and explain the other side thoroughly.

July 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  26. Larry

All the doctor has to do is get a paternity test for himself and the 2 boys. They may as well do one on Michael's DNA while they are at it, unless the Jackson family is afraid for some reason.

July 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  27. Fiona

Here's a thought – let's stop talking about it, reading about it, and showing it on tv.

The man is dead, let him rest in peace instead of focusing on this three ring circus that surrounds him and his family. Who cares who the biological father was, because to the children, that was him. Leave it in peace.

And, here's a thought, could we actually get the more reliable current event/news programs (hint hint Anderson) to focus less on the passing of MJ and more on the nation and the world. Thanks!

July 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  28. Deb

"Not to the best of my knowledge" is the answer... Well either he had sex with Debbie Rowe or he donated sperm. I would think he would know for a fact whether he had done either of these. There are childrens lives at stake here, what the heck is he thinking.

July 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  29. Maria

I think it's really disgusting to be discussing the paternity of his children. It's a non-issue just sensationalism. These are kids who lost their father and I'm sure these rumors are hurtful to them and wouldn't qualify as news in my book.

July 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  30. Roxanne St.Rose

Please these kids are hurting enough... they know there dad was Michael what are we doing, stop enough....

July 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  31. Enough

Key words are always – "Too the best of my Knowledge"

July 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  32. Angela Comperry

Could someone please give me that quote again that A.C. made to Larry King last night something about "A fatherless child is ... but never... something to that effect. I loved it.

July 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  33. Melissa

I'm with Bri on this one. Stop trying to villify his memory.

July 8, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  34. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Yep! Everyone's in denial now!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  35. Bri

As I search the internet it hurts to see all the negative comments of Michael jackson. All of you people who are hating and trying ( key word trying) to destroy the image of a musical genius need to check within yourselves. There is a reason why you all hate him soo much and you need to figure out why so you can heal your soul. Jesus is love and you all need Jesus so that you can feel the love that MJ showed to all of us even those of you bashing him. He did nothing to you and you act like he killed your mom or something. Just like the lady said, "You are innocent until proven guilty." That message is for all those people who cant let go the fact that MJ is innocent and will live forever. It must be killing you that He is my hero and many of others and will never be forgotten and always be missed.
    I hope you guys find peace within yourselves and open your eyes to what God and Micheal Jackson has been trying to tell you over the past 5 decades, which is Peace and Love.

July 8, 2009 at 2:20 pm |