July 7th, 2009

The secret children: Secret no more

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/07/michael.jackson.wrap/art.daughter.aeglive.jpg caption="Paris Katherine Jackson, 11, said goodbye to her father at the close of the memorial service."]

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Judging from the Twitterfall, a lot of fans were reduced to weeping puddles by the words of Paris Jackson. As that young girl stood at the microphone and tried to speak of her love for her father, she was a stark reminder of the simple fact that in the end the King of Pop was also a human being. I watched as the family swept her away from the microphone and hugged her, and heard the audience applaud with praise and sympathy for her courage in a terrible time.

But sadly, there is a legacy of that moment I can not ignore: For the first time, I know exactly what she looks like. I have heard her voice. And millions more…maybe hundreds of millions…did too.

Jackson was certainly not a typical father, and he did some things that defied defense: that horrific baby dangling episode, for example. In addition, there are all those troubling questions about his private conduct that will forever circle his biography like vultures.

But for as long as he was alive he did a pretty good job keeping his children’s faces hidden from the public at large. The masks seemed strange to the point of disconcerting, to be sure, but the alternative could have been worse. So there were the odd snapshots that showed up now and then, but not many, and almost never in the mainstream media.

And now? He has not even been put to rest, and already the hidden children have been paraded before the world. I have no idea whose idea that was, or if it was simply an oversight. I have no idea if Michael Jackson would have objected, although his behavior only a few weeks ago suggests he would have.

What I do know is this: Any hope of them going out for an ice cream cone, or a bike ride, or a visit to an amusement park was complicated before today; but now it is virtually impossible. They will now be met at every corner by fans with cellphone cameras, paparazzi, and curious gazes. In our celebrity crazed culture, the lives of those children just grew immensely more complex and problematic.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Michael Jackson • Tom Foreman
  1. Lilly

Did Jordan Chandler – The accuser of Michael Jackson – really admit to lying?
    I've seen on a few websites that Jordan Chandler admitted that he and his father lied about the accusations made in '93 about Michael Jackson molesting him.
    But I havent seen it on the news.
    Anyone can interview him and make him confess?

July 7, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  2. Dawn Deen

wow Anderson you hit that right on the nose..You are good..WOW is all I can say about this Blog.

July 7, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  3. Raquel

The news has said that the children are not Michaels. I think this kind of reporting is not what we should call news. That is a private matter between Micheals children and the family. After watching the Memorial it is my opinion that Blanket looks like Michaels.

July 7, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  4. Bev /Greensboro

The memorial service was very well done. Although I was surprised that Sir Paul McCartney or Sir Elton John were not there to perform. I also thought it was interesting the family requested John Mayor since he didn't even know Michael. Still, all in all, very well done. I think even though Michael might not have wanted his children to be seen, in truth, in most any other family, celebrity or not, the children would be present at a funeral for a parent, at least the 2 older children. I thought Prince actually looked bored the couple times the camera panned by. And I dont' know if anyone else wondered, but I almost thought Paris was "acting" when she choked up. I will re-watch that segment. I had not seen the kids before and was shocked at how much Blanket seemed to look like his dad. The other two...not much at all. It was also interesting that after Usher sang, all the brothers hugged each other and when Joe tried to get into the hug, he was ignored. So, these horrible 2 weeks are over. But finding the truth about why he died....that is still to come.....or may never be known. Peace to all

July 7, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  5. Katherine Davoust

I watched part of the Michael Jackson Memorial Service, it was a beautiful service. The most touching and heartbreaking part when his beautiful daughter Paris said a few words about her father, she really loves her father and she is going miss him. I miss you Michael Jackson you were great singer and dancer. Rest In Peace Michael Jackson.

July 7, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  6. Adel

If individuals have every experienced grief and loss they will think through on their comments.

It is important to deal with issues in death early than late, if not those suppressed feelings can resurface e.g Post Traumatic Stress disorders. So I feel it is beneficial for the children to express their feelings. It will allow them to be able to express those feelings gradually and be confident to do so than be afraid.

July 7, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  7. Laura L. Bourne

My heart and prayers go out to The Jackson Family, especially to his children, Paris, Prince and Blanket. I got the oppuntuntity to serve and take care of Michael Jackson as one of his Butler's in a hotel in Las Vegas. He was very polite and always pleasant, giving and kind and Michael was highly respected by all the Butlers. I remember the time I ran into him in the hallway and he was with his children and he was talking and laughing with them having a great time . The were all so happy. The other time when his nutrionalist would always make his meal and leave it for us to delivered to him, but he would call us and request KFC instead . I am glad I got the chance to meet him in person, he was a pleasure to serve and take care of him and his children. Michael will e greatly missed!!

I

July 7, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  8. moonmaiden

The childern need to stay with the Jackson Family.
    It is the their family with deep love for each other Family.
    The Jackson's are NOT exploiting the childern or Michael's fame and fortune. I can't begin to imagine how it would be if they had to live with mother who gave them up for a cash settlement.
    God is watching and HE will not allow that to happen.
    My heart and Love go out to all the Jacksons and to Micheal.
    This has been the saddest 2 wks and I'm still crying.
    God Bless you All

July 7, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  9. Vermeil

I couldn't stop crying when I saw the memorial, because it showed me that this is real, that this is really happening. I always loved Michael and I always will. Some people didn't understand him, because they didn't know about him. For example the "horrific baby dangling" you mentioned. He loved his children he held his baby tight. Never would he have hurt someone. He was so good-hearted, so pure and had a smile of an angel. He changed my life and when I felt sad he made me happy again and gave me hope. My condolences to his family and friends, but especially his children, he will always be there for you. God bless you Michael!

July 7, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  10. marilyn

Addressing this to Boo: I hope my comment I wrote prior to this will be entered so you can read it. As I wrote my comments, I was asking myself "am I doing right"..but it seems you pretty much felt what I did.
    I "cringed" also, Boo.....

July 7, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  11. Christopher Walls

To bad the media doesn't get it, Anchors like Anderson Cooper, Campbell Brown are despicable. Talking about Molestation charges, Oxycontin, & suspected drug use they keep saying it Breaking News on a day of mourning. Campbell Brown call the memorial STRANGE today, no wonder no one watches her terrible show.

July 7, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

It's ironic that someone being idolized for his humanitarianism and love of his children would have ultimately orphaned those children by choosing to abuse drugs. Drug users care about their next fix, and nothing else. Had MJ chosen family over himself those kids would have a father today.

July 7, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  13. Eileen

I never thought i could watch a Memorial on t.v and Cry. I Felt so touched by it as if he were a member of my family. I never met MJ and i sure dont know all his songs but i send out my blessings to his family, especially his 3 kids. i could only imagine how they must feel. What Paris did at the close of the memorial was far more touching and amazing than anything, and billions of people must feel the same way.

R.I.P Michael.. You will never be forgotten.

July 7, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  14. billyjean

I always thought he was the one.

July 7, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  15. Yang

I am still sad about MJ's passing. I would have said "untimely", but I am a firm believer in God. As such, although sometimes we find it hard to understand or even accept, in the end, I find consolation in my faith in God that everything happens in God's time. I feel sad for the selfish reason that he is no longer here with us. But at last, Michael Jackson is free. In life, I feel that Michael Jackson has been judged unfairly. I believe that Michael Jackson was, perhaps, the only grown-up in this world who exuded with child-like innocence. I believe that he was a very innocent, trusting and naive human being... to a fault. I empathize with MJ's children for I, too have gone through the loss of a father. I can just be grateful to God for giving me 33 quality years with my father. But even to this day, I still feel that 33 years with my father was still not enough. There are still a lot of things that I want to do with him, show him and share with him. I believe that no daughter or son ever recovers from the loss of a parent. I know because I feel that I do not want to. So, to Michael's three beautiful gifts from God, my deepest condolences and prayers. Just trust and live by the values that your father have taught you and you will be okay. Finally, to Michael's children, I leave you with two of my favorite daddy quotes that I always remember whenever I think of my father and I share them with you: "Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad." - Proverb, and "My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." - Clarence B. Kelland
    I know that nothing can assuage the grief that you feel for your loss, but my prayers are with you. Just keep the faith and keep the love, just like your dad. God bless Michael Jackson (I know he is) and his children (I know they are).

July 7, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  16. MC

I hope that the media will leave these children alone and give them a chance at a somewhat normal life. I hope that Katherine Jackson is able to protect them and keep them safe physically and emotionally (something she may not have done well with Michael).

July 7, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  17. SDA

For all the bull the media have put these kids and thier father through I was surprised she spoke. He raised them to be strong, dignified, confident people. I HOPE to god they stay with MJ's family. Michael may have had his problems but it seems none that transferred to his children.

I bet he died of Aneurysm, even if all the drugs the media say were found 10 to 1 it's much simpler then all are trying to make it.

All those who loved MJ brace yourselves for tomorrow starts the media and all the people trying to get thier 5 minutes of fame at the expense of a dead man no matter what. The vultures will begin tearing the man apart to get attention, and he can no longer fight back....I HOPE HOPE HOPE his children get to remember thier father as the dad he was and not what the media and vultures will try to make him out to be.....rest in peace MJ, you will be missed 🙂

July 7, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  18. Jeannette

Mr. Foreman,

The children were not "paraded" before the world. They were a part of their father's funeral ceremony, loved and supported by their family.

Ice cream? They can get that at home. Bike rides? Amusement park visits? Have you heard of Neverland Ranch?

July 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  19. gwen, georgia

God's will is love. Michael Jackson was this IN ALL aspects of his entire life. God bless him and his family.

July 7, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. christine

For Michael Jackson
    I dedicated this to you.
    If tears can build a stairway, and memories a lane.
    I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home to Paris, Prince and Blanket again.
    I'll always love and miss you forever.
    May god always protect you michael and your beautiful children as well. Your gone but never EVER forgotten.
    RIP Michael Jackson

July 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Javier M. 1972

Paris, your genuiune love and passion had the greatest impact today, you obviously got this from your father. Continue to carry your dad's legendary authenticity of spirit with your whole heart and soul in anything you do in your life. By doing this, you affirm his deepest wishes of what being human means. Don't worry, your dad will always be by your side at all times, today and tomorrow.

July 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Karina Bufulin (Brazil)

Paris, you told these words from the bottom of your heart, and that was the most beautiful and unquestionable speech to an amazing person like Michael, the world needed to know about his honor as father.

God bless you and your brothers.

Our heart is broken, but your dad will live forever in our hearts.

Karina.

July 7, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Kristen

When Paris spoke I got chills down my spine and I got teary eyed. My heart goes out to those 3 children and what they are now dealing with. Say what you want about their father, but at the end of the day he was still a loving father to those children and those children loved him back. I really hope the media backs off as his two oldest begin to approach their teen years and so all three can have somewhat of a normal life. I pray that Michael's family gets custody of those children and continues to raise them well. God bless those children.

July 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  24. Ruth

Did you see those aunts and uncles pawing all over Paris when she tried to express her grief at the loss of her father? I'm afraid this portends the way the family will be clawing their way into his estate.

July 7, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. christine

I loved and lost you michael
    you were my inspiration personally,emotionally,mentally and now spirtually. When you died a felt a part of my heart and soul go with you. I miss you like crazy. The pain is overwhelming but i know it's because the world and I have lost the greatest man/father/son/brother/friend/entertainer ever. I know deep down in my heart that you are gone in body only but NEVER EVER EVER,NEVER EVER forgotten. you will always live in my heart as well as everyone that knew who you really were. I cried my eyes out when paris spoke about what kind of father you were but it was also healing as well. I always knew that you were the best father ever but paris just re confirmed it today. Thank you so much for inspiring me the way that you have, I am a better person for having known you even if our relationship was you on tv and me watching but i always listened to every single word you said. I feel truly blessed for knowing the man that you are. Thank you for having the most amazing family ever, your children are so amazing and lovable just like their father. May god bless you always

July 7, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. vanessa

"MJ's" services today was a homegoing fit for a KING. The family and AEG family did an excellent job putting this remeberance together that Michael Jackson the King of Pop would have approved of himself. The media even did a good job with the coverage and was respectful of the 21/2 hours and kept their negative remarks to a very low rate. Finally you guys did something right. By no means am I putting CNN down this is the only news channel I watch for complete coverage of truth, but at times some of you guys go beyond. Paris Michael Katherina Jackson was totally in love with her "daddy" and she wanted to share that with the world & for that we should be grateful and proud. These are children that haven't had contact with the public until now and for this 11 year old to want to show "the fans & the world" her love for her "daddy" that was priceless. Blanket was hiding between his Aunts and Uncles and that showed me how uncomfortable he is being outside with cover (something they are use to) I think these kids are special and unique and will need more time to adjust then regular children that end up losing their only parent. May God bless the Princes Michael l, Paris Michael, and Blanket and I hope they can overcome the pain of their father's death but with the help of their Grandmother, Aunts and Uncles they will plus the Lord has them in his hands.

July 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Kate

Not only did that moment humanize Michael but it humanized his children. And like thousands of children around us, their lives are forever changed by the enormous loss of a parent so early in their lives. I'm sure measures will be taken to protect them and they will be afforded great opportunity in their lives, but as a person who too lost my mom at the age of 12, my hope is that they will not feel they are alone. Grief is a powerful, dynamic experience, but one that can be met with hope and happiness if surrounded by care and love at our most vulnerable hours. Healing hugs to Paris, Prince, and Blanket.

July 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Angelique Blanchard

Paris made the day! I started crying as soon I saw the casket getting out from the cemetery and kept on crying with the whole memorial service... I could've stop crying and get better when it ended until Paris opened her mouth and talked... That just killed me right there! I could feel her pain in her words and how much she love her daddy.

And I just gotta say to her: "Beautiful Paris, we love your father very much and he will always be remembered and missed. My entire heart its with you and your brothers. Smile baby girl, keep on smiling cause I know that's what MJ would've want you to do always!"

July 7, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Kari

I refuse to believe that Michael's children are now destined to be hounded by the press for the rest of their lives. It is possible for them to have relatively quiet, normal lives, but it is up to the fans who love and respect their father as well as the responsible and respectable mainstream media to create and sustain an environment that respects their right to privacy. If we the public refuse to support those who would exploit these beautiful children, we will effectively destroy their reason to persist in preying upon them.

July 7, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Merlyn

The MJ Memorial Service was beautiful, and fit for the King of Pop. May he Rest in Peace. His critics be damned because this is not a time for his troubles but for celebrating his life gone too soon. Michael Jackson belong to the Human Race with his music and life. I can not imagine a life without him right now. I can not believe he is gone, but never forgoten. All that love and supporters, and family and friends too, and including a daughter who loved her Dad very much, because her father loved her and her brothers. No one can deny, this was a hard day. Only God knows how this family is so strong, and may God help them during this time. I love you Michael Jackson, you will always be my favorite singers. Even though Michael is singing among the heavens. Thank you for the music, which makes me think of my childhood, and thank you for your legacy. May his children stay with only family they know, as we saw today, with the Jacksons. Please donate to the memorial. Gotta go, I am crying again.

July 7, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. rachel

MJ is and will always be the King of Pop, the man that gave the world the most amazing music! God Bless his children, keep them from all danger. Paris you are a precious little girl , very brave...the world is proud of you! We love you, your brothers and your daddy. Michael Jackson is forever!

July 7, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Lisa

A larger fear would be to let Joe Jackson get hold of or influence the children... it was hard to watch Michael's son sitting next to Joe, both similar in facial expressions. But you could see the love between Michael's siblings and the children. That is a good thing. I dont think the family will allow anything bad to happen to those children. They are Michaels' childrien, a piece of him still here. Hopefully the family, the media, etc will do the right thing for them.

July 7, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Marianne Gamble

Watched the Memorial today with my daughters and we cried and held hands and prayed together. So sad we had to wait till he died to honor such a talented entertainer. To his beautiful children are prayiers are with you. And know alot of hearts are deeply sadden at the lost of your daddy. We will never forget your father. RIP Micheal. Lots of Love from your fans in Canada.

July 7, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Rose

I watched the services today from beginning to end, in the comfort of my home. The service was incredible, and very beautiful. I only hope that the Jackson family can find peace, and that the children's home is with them. They all have been through so much...

July 7, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Stephanie

Sweet Paris, You're so very lucky to have a Daddy who was paternal, protective, tender and affectionate. Peace to you in the days ahead.
    I know you'll keep him close to you. He'll be with you always.
    Stephanie

July 7, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. donna

It was a beautiful memorial but, how DISRESPECTFUL to allow the faces of his children to be seen worldwide. From what I have read, the KING of POP would have been very saddened to see his children's privacy and identity would be be exposed at his memorial. What was his family thinking????

July 7, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Shigeko

*Paris needed to say goodbye and actively participate in the memorial for herself and her brothers. Like Anderson Cooper and Michael's children, I also lost my parent when I was a child. Kids can be resilient but the loss of a parent is very traumatic and if not dealt with carefully, it can take years to recover.
    The loss is always there. Imagine not having your mom or dad around for graduation, your first kiss, dating advice, daily living, having a baby. I hope the media and public would be sensitive to this in future media coverage of Michael Jackson. There is so much more important news items . . . and if the past needs to be rehashed, go through the justice system.
    Finally, for Michael's legacy – I hope Oprah, Obama and other people in power could reach out to the world's orphans and children who don't have their parents or strong families due to death, divorce or illness. If we can think about the children, act like the mature and responsible role models for them – maybe the world would indeed be a better place for all of us.

July 7, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Ethiopia

I just want to tell for Michael's kids that whatever the -ve thing the media has to say about their father they always have to remember the kind of he was to them, the kind of icon he was to the artists around the world, the kind of humanitarian and the kind of gifted person he was.The world loved him and changed because of him. You were blessed because you were his kids and the world was blessed because of his contributions. I know how you feel now because I was in the same situation you are now before 2 years ago.May God be with you to give you comfort and strength for the rest of your life. Michael will live through you, through his kids. My prayers are with you.

July 7, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. May

When Paris spoke I just broke down in tears. It was such an emotional moment and she was talking about how great her father was to her. It was great to hear her voice and see the emotions and how this affects her a great deal. RIP Michael Jackson!!!! You are forever loved and missed and will live on forever in my heart and that of all the people who love you. Thank you for your contribution to the world.

July 7, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. erin

When Paris spoke, I just happened to see it at work on my break. Being a mother of 2 young girls, it broke my heart and began sobbing in my place of work. What courage that must have took for her to get up there. My heart aches for the children, and I'm so afraid of what futures will now hold w/out their Daddy and no Mom to fall back on. 🙁

July 7, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Brt

My impression was that Paris wanted to speak, and bravely she did. There is so much about color being spoken about-I believe the children are because their eye structure resemble his. And as an artist, MJ evolved with his art form to a point where the ordinary person could not venture. His creative evolution might not have had anything to do with color–and I hardly believe that he was in any denial of his African American heritage . His image seems to have evolved towards and resembles an alabaster image of King Tut. Check it out.

July 7, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Angelia

Michael kept these babies together and gave them love and a family. God had a reason for Michael to join him in heaven and now I hope that the demons don't separate these children and the family that they have always known and loved. These 3 children need each other now more then anything.

Paris you are a brave little girl and I cried with you when you let the world know that you loved your daddy. I recently lost my daddy too, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him, just remember that as time goes you will not mourn but laugh at the times and wonderful memories you had. You and your brothers will meet your daddy again he will be waiting for you by the big tree next to the fountain of youth.

July 7, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Kate

I feel for Jackson Family except for Joe Jackson and for sure NOT Michael Jackson.

July 7, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Misty

This is to Don and everyone else who thinks these kids are not Michael's~just because they have white skin, does not mean they are not his. I am the mother to 3 bi-racial children, one of whom is completely white with green eyes just like Paris's. That shows how ignorant some people still are-learn biology people! Michael Jr. looks just like Michael when he was younger and so does Prince. Paris looks like her mother. Even if the possibility stands that they are not his biologically, they are his legally because his name is on their birth certificates and he raised them BY HIMSELF-without the help of a mother who pretty much washed her hands of them! The man has passed, let him rest with his passing like a lot of you did not allow him in life!!!!!

July 7, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Duc

even in the midle of the forest in Africa they are crying you MJ,
    Kappo Ponton.

July 7, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Cora Jean

I'm a little surprised by those who think it was not a good decision for the kids to be shown. How long are they supposed to 'cover up'? Michael had some very strange habits and no one will deny it. The children did as he wanted. Actually they all looked quite comfortable in 'public' today to me. Probably glad they can finally have a face like everyone else. Let's face it, if Michael had lived on, what would have eventually happened to the kids? How long would they be hiding behind masks? Just remember, everything happens for a reason, and in the right time. I'm just hoping bad news does not surface about the children with their strange upbringing. I'm sure there was lots of good, but none of us are perfect, especially parents. The same as we never saw their faces, we know nothing about their lives and how they lived. I think Michael was one of the most gifted people musically and I sincerely wish the family peace and stability.

July 7, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Joy

I don't think that Paris was not forced to speak, it looked as if Janet was ready to speak next, and the baby asked her Aunt Janet if she could say something. Janet asked her to speak up because from the stage it seemed she couldn't be heard unless she got closer to the mic. May those beautiful children be raised by the family and people and even the nanny that they've always known. They need that stability at this time. My heart goes out to them.

July 7, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Hamidea

Has DNA been done to make sure the paternity of these children. Jackson's children have no black in them. This is a SCIENTIFIC fact.

July 7, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. christine

kimnslfdmi i completely agree with you.
    I have a poem for michael Jackson

~ HEAVEN ~

I took a trip to heaven
    But only in my mind
    I wanted to know what it's like...
    To leave all your love behind.
    So I closed my eyes, and started to see
    Just how beautiful heaven can be.

I could see the pearly gates of white
    and behind them was the most radiant light.
    I saw an angel named Micheal Jackson passing me by
    so incredibly beautiful that a tear fell from my eye.
    Everyone looked perfect and with the angels they did sing
    There are no earthly words to describe the beauty of their wings.

As I sat on a bench in the most incredible garden
    I asked God for all of my sins to be pardoned
    I took one last look at all of the beauty around
    And when I opened my eyes, it was peace that I found.

July 7, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. tabatha

I hope we all can remember Michael for the kind sole that he was. One without judgement as so many judged him. Let us all remember Michael and learn from him and his love.
    Let's respect his children, lets stop all the gossip and speculations and let Michael Jackson rest in peace and let his loved ones heal and continue on with happy productive lives without us building them up just to tear them down.
    Let's all learn and live and love.
    T. Koziarz