July 7th, 2009

Documents: Michael Jackson's death certificate

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/07/michael.jackson.wrap/art.mj.mem.family.cnn.jpg caption="Jackson's family embrace each other on stage during the close of the emotional service."]

Editor's Note: Below is Michael Jackson's death certificate from the County of Los Angeles Department of Health Services. For the latest on the King of Pop's death, tune in to AC360° tonight 10p ET.

Click here to see Michael Jackson's death certificate.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Documents
  1. puggles

Only a Coroner or Medical Examiner is allowed to "defer" cause of death.
    (Cardiopulmonary Arrest is not allowed – not sufficient)

The redacted portions are for privacy – SSN of Jackson and DOB, address of informant.

Likely was pulled because someone wanted to see what Coroner put as Cause of Death.

(Why does LA have a Coroner, an elected official, as opposed to a Medical Examiner, an appointed medically qualified professional?

July 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  2. ralph

is he really in the casket or did they bury him days ago ? or cremate him ?

July 7, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  3. laticia brown

Be affected by his life and choose to promote his legacy by giving the best of yourself to your family, friends, work, and God. I say thank you to Michael for affecting me and inspiring me to be a better person. Michael Jackson gave millions of dollars to aids research and to hunger relief and was a great person. For everyone who wants to talk down upon the man when he is gone please look at yourself before you decide to make an ignorant statement.

July 7, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  4. laticia brown

Be affected by his life and choose to promote his legacy by giving the best of yourself to your family, friends, work, and God. I say thank you to Michael for affecting me and inspiring me to be a better person. Michael Jackson gave millions of dollars to aids research and to hunger relief and was a great person. For everyone who wants to talk down upon the man when he is done please look at yourself before you decide to make an ignorant statement.

July 7, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  5. Theresa

I was 8 when JFK was assasinated. Hatred.
    I was 12 when both Martin Luther King Jr and Robert Kennedy were assasinated. Hatred.
    I was a teenager when we lost Janice Joplin, Jimmi Hendrix, Lead singer of the Doors, and others Drugs
    I was in my twentys when we lost Elvis to Drugs
    Since Elvis we have lost many great people. Each great in thier own way and with thier god given talents. Frank Sinatra and the rest.
    On June 25 we lost another great. Micheal Jackson Possibly to Drugs

Hatred and Drugs are killing our gifted stars who choose to share thier lives with us, and we, as a society continue to riducule, judge, hate and
    do not appreciate the sacrifice they have given.
    Will we ever learn to let the gifted live.

I pray for the Jackson Family. I will miss all of the great gifts Micheal has given to us, and I worry, who will be the next victim in the world of the gifted to die of hatred or drugs. Make a change make it stop.
    Lets honor those who share their lives with us.
    God Bless us as a people, and forgive us this sin, for we know not what we do. Sticks and stones helped bring Micheal down. I cry for him, I hurt for us and I become fearful for others.

July 7, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  6. Alicia

I'm very sad causeI grew up listening to Michael Jackson and I love his music I know there will never be another king of pop. I just wished he could have lived a less chaotic life. I just think that he was misunderstood and that he didn't know how to express he's feelings but I know he meant well, you all need to remember he was only human and nobody is pertfect only God is perfect, so give him the credit he deserves cause he did contribute to alot of charities. The acccusations against him were just insane, It was the parents of those kids who saw an easy way to get money its just awful. Michael just wanted to live the childhood that he didn't have which I personally think is very sad. I just wish he's family could have been closer to him and they or his mother should have intervene when they saw how ill he was maybe that could have saved his life and we wouldn't be mourning today. REST IN PEACE MICHAEL JACKSON THE BEST EVER!!!!!

July 7, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  7. BRIDGET

I really wish that if some people don't have anything good to say to please keep their comments to themselves. This was someone's son, father, and he was truly adored by many.

July 7, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  8. diana demerson

The memorial service was a tribute to a person that changed this world. It was said throughout the service that God put us all here for a time and purpose and when that is done, then He calls us home. much Love to the family. Remember God makes no mistakes.

July 7, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  9. Paula of Atlanta

Now I see some of what Mike went through ignorance, jealousy, envy and just plain cruelty are bliss in here and best believe what goes around comes around....so you better check yourself in the mirror before you judge others YOU DON'T KNOW and NEVER KNEW...you are truly pitiful people and YOU know who I mean.

Now for the good things...Michael you will be forever missed you were an Icon, musical genius, humanitarian and a realist...a person who befriended the most true... I don't think anyone can fathom what you went through as they were not there. I know though that GOD has taken you and you are finally at peace and are probably still looking over and helping people who need it good and bad. I will always love you for the things you did for others and your music. Best believe these feelings I have are world wide.... GOD BLESS YOU and I am so sorry for your loss Jackson family...

July 7, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  10. Mark Johnson

Now that MJ has been laid to rest...it's time to find all of the doctors who perscribed all of the drugs...there needs to be an investigation and jail time for anyone who commited a crime.

July 7, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  11. John T Rhode Island

Rest in Peace Michael. We will all miss you.

July 7, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  12. luis

Michael,
    MayGod bless you and your family, and Thank you for helping people around the world.Only if the world had more people like you...
    We Love YOu 4 ever..

Luis Garcia
    Anaheim

July 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  13. John T Rhode Island

R.I.P Michael Jackson. The muc world will miss you.

July 7, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  14. joyce momin

I am a 38yr old mother of 2 daughter's ages 19 and 16 and I'm saying this because I am so sick and tired of the media say that Micheal Jackson was a bad person for sleeping with young boy's, he was not "sleeping" with then he was sleeping them and what I mean by that is is just that, they were going to sleep. I have let my 2 daughters sleep with me even at the age that their at at this time, I have a niece and nephews that I have let sleep in my bed, does that make me a bad mother or a bad aunt, no I don't think so, and Micheal Jackson letting children sleep in his bed did NOT make him a bad person , just a loving person. So get off it, you people make me sick to my stomach with this mess, you had nothing else to talk about Micheal but trash, it was you the media and people that were jelous of him and nothing else to talk about when it came to the King of Pop that's what took this GREAT MAN to an early grave. Micheal Jackson is gone and "YOU" still won't leave "HIM" alone, let him rest in peace, cause "YOU" can't hurt "HIM" anymore!!!

July 7, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  15. valerie

To those who are posting that they are tired of CNN covering the death of Michael Jackson, I say turn the channel. Funny thing though, you will see that all the other news stations are airing the same thing. This man deserves the coverage that he's getting.

we were blessed to have him during our generation. The rest of the world realizes it, it's so sad that some idiots that live here right in the U.S.A don't realize that. I thought that the Jackson Family did a wonderful job at putting this together. He went out just as a KING should. R.I.P. Michael. We will never forget you.

July 7, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  16. Janine from PA.

It would be nice if Mr. Jackson's death could unite the world in peace something he tried to do during his life.

July 7, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  17. Robert Charles

After attending the memorial service today I was left with a feeling of finality but viewing the death certificate leaves me feeling more sorrow than I knew I felt.

July 7, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  18. Amanda

"I applaud his God-given musical and dancing abilities but he didn’t spend endless days fighting for our country and sacrificing his life. He didn’t ....spend his time serving food ...He didn’t give millions of dollars to save cancer victims lives ...He lived a glorious life filled with overindulgences in every sense of the word."

If anything should be said at a time that respect should be paid, I'm sure it should be on the lines of condolence and comfort to those who can truly say were his loved ones. And I'm sure that the 39 charities that he actively supported and his fight for more aid and research for HIV/AIDS sufferers all count as a fight that came from his heart. He's done more for this world than any other artist and you still have the audacity to point fingers... honestly, I think this man has done more for this world than any of us can plan on in our lifetime and yet you still sit there and find the ignorance in yourself to type away all the negativities you can think of and not take the time to think that you don't know this man, you don't know his life, you don't know his family, you don't know what his tribulations have been. You just simply don't know anything to run around saying this kind of stuff... I think the ceremony was exactly what it should've been in every aspect.

I thank all the media for all the coverage up to this point, but now that we've had the goodbye, I think we all should get on with things and maybe even try to change ourselves for the better.. for each other.. for ourselves.. for whatever you deem as pure and deserving of a better world!

RIP MJ, I wish the Jackson family the best of regards, and to the 3 kids.. I know there's nothing that can comfort you right now, but I hope you all grow up to do great things as your father would've liked!!

May God Bless!

July 7, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  19. Rita K

Michael Jackson, may your soul rest in peace. You're at peace now.
    The world has lost an icon; no one will ever come close. Simply the greatest entertainer that ever lived.

July 7, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  20. carol

i am so sick to my stomach that the media is so probing into who the father of mj's kids. who cares who the father is, the man raised these kids since birth.you don't have to be blood to be a father.everyone can see how this man loves his kids.we say we cares about his kids,if we do why are we saying all the nasty things his kids can hear.it could be bevastated to a child to hear bad things about their parents.

July 7, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  21. Bruce

Paris Jackson is a beautiful girl. She looks like a young Grace Kelly.

July 7, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  22. Marcia L

I am saddened & sickened by all the people leaving comments that are negative towards Michael Jackson . I am truly heart broken by his untimely death but confirmed the the Lord's wishes... I only have this to say, to all you dark-hearted mean-spirited , evil judgemental people out there... When your time comes to face your Maker... I hope He has mercy on you, because He will ask you what have you done for others in this world to make it better... And remember , only God can judge you!! M.J WILL 4EVER LIVE N MY HEART!

July 7, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  23. Maria

So sick of the MJ coverage! I can't believe this man's death had more press coverage than the Pope's or Mother Teresa's deaths. Ronald Reagan's death received almost as much coverage, and deservedly so. I just have to ask, what is wrong with this picture? I'm sick of the media treating his so-called dark side as a mere footnote. There are people out there who are dying for their right to vote. What happened to their press coverage?

July 7, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  24. Jacques

I don't even think Michael knew how important he was not just to America, but to the world. President Obama, took the air wave from TV. to radio to news paper all over t he world the day of his election, but once again Michael beat that record today. No matter where you are around the world, when Michael is on TV. whether to perform or to proclaim his innocence you have got to stop and watch. Michael Jackson was a true legend.

July 7, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  25. Griff

See Jeri, that's where you are wrong Michael's philanthropy was so great that he made the Guinness Book of World Records for most charitable pop star ever. He has done more for the world than you or any other famous public figure has done in our modern generations. This is NEWS and this is significant. i think you fail to see how epic this person is. perhaps if it was one of your favorite conservative figures that receive this kind of coverage you wouldn't complain. Or perhaps it is envy that the people who complain about the MJ coverage will NEVER be loved and missed the way Michael is.

July 7, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  26. Joyce

Where was Grace during MJ's memorial? Was she dismissed to the second/third row? Grace should get guardianship of the children as only GRACE knows them the best, can keep them stabilized until age 18 and the kids wouldn't have to be separated. Visitation should be permitted to Debbie Roe and the Jackson Family. If Katherine were to pass away within the next 6 years, the kids would be subjected to another unsettling relocation, court procedures & bonding with a new family. With Katherine/Joe Jackson filing for Chapter 7 in 1999 for $24 million in debts, there are major concerns allowing Katherine guardian of the childrens estate. Will Katherine ever tell why she didn't protect her own children from Joe's abuse i.e., move out, divorce, call police, etc.??????

July 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  27. Angela Watson

In my estimation, CNN has surprised me this time by coming the closest to class of any network on television in their handling of this tragic event. I was not going to post a comment at first, but then it occurred to me that those of us who have something positive to say should do so, if only to counter the mean- spirited climate that unfortunatly so permeates our society today. Love is the answer- to peace, to suffering, to unity. Thank you, & please let this be the start of something new & good.

July 7, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  28. Dharma

For all the people "sick of Michael Jackson" don't spend time writing about him. I personally think that CNN is reacting to public demand. As to the death certificate, where was the cause of death?
    Seeing his daughter up there today was truly heartbreaking. The man DID do a lot of good things and left money to charity so give credit where it is due. If anyone makes money off of today it wasn't MJ's idea. Let us agree to disagree - I found that every station had a significant amount of coverage of this event and his death....they all can't be wrong.

July 7, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  29. Bernie - New Orleans

I thought ya'lls coverage was great. You stayed with it all the way through, just like AC did with Katrina.

Other networks, not worth mentioning who happened to just sensationalize the controversial aspect of MJ's life, dropped off as soon as they could.

Thanks for the taking the high road in your coverage.

July 7, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  30. Wynoma Hollis

We will see Michael Jackson again in the resurrection. John 5:28-29. Watch video on Utube: nomywyn. Michael made a Paradise out of Neverland. He will live in the real paradise in the resurrection, and in the abundance of peace: Psalms 37:10-11.

Wynoma

July 7, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  31. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

You got that right Cookie! She seems like a very hateful individual. I certainly hope Kathrine Jackson will be able to keep her grandchildren. That really seems like the best place for them.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

July 7, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  32. Sybil

After God and Jesus, the next most popular name is Micheal Jackson. People in the U.S may not understand this, but around the world it is the truth. Elvis Presley can't even begin to compare to this man in terms of popularity.
    May he rest in perfect peace. Amen.

July 7, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  33. Artem Golovin

> Jeri Whitten, Michael Jackson's death happens to be the news of the world right now.

-London

-Berlin

-Moscow

They all had memorials today.

July 7, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  34. Christine Farace

After reading many comments about Michael, I feel that the Negative comments are Cruel and Selfish. Greed is not respected by me nor kicking someone when they are Gone. Slander is not recommended; so be kind to the departed. TY

July 7, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  35. cookie3658

the service was beautiful.. if debbie rowe tries to take michaels children she will be the most hated person in the world

July 7, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  36. michelle

I saw the cert. but see no cause of death. why is so much blacked out too?

July 7, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  37. lisa

This was one of the moments from the memorial service that i was crying

July 7, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  38. Sherry

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson!

July 7, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  39. Annie Kate

I didn't realize Michael's mom was from Alabama. I was surprised to see that the informant for his death certificate was LaToya – I thought she just got back in town and that the information for this certificate would have already been gathered.

July 7, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  40. Dave C

Finally, I hear someone who feels the same way I do. To Jeri Whitten, you are right on the money! Enough of this overplayed story!! There is so much more important news happening around the world, this story is a waste of time for CNN viewers. If we wanted to watch this gossip we could tune into E! News or TMZ. We dont watch CNN for this garbage. CNN, you are better than this. PLEASE STOP with this trash-TV and send your reporters out of LA to find some real news.

I am SICK of Michael Jackson.

July 7, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  41. Tera

As sad as I am for a family that lost a son and children that lost a father, I am at complete loss of why our country and world at large is mourning this man as if he was a hero. I applaud his God-given musical and dancing abilities but he didn't spend endless days fighting for our country and sacrificing his life. He didn't give up vacations to build homes for the poor or spend his time serving food to those that are less fortunate in soup kitchens. He didn't give millions of dollars to save cancer victims lives and he didn't give millions to change the effects of global warming. He lived a glorious life filled with overindulgences in every sense of the word. He created scenarios where his lifestyle and relationships with children were inappropriate. He became a target of molestation questions because of his inappropriateness. Michael Jackson created his own drama.

I'm saddened that even in death he manages to ridcule the hardworking folks of this community. While over $4 million is spent on his public funeral, paid by the wonderful tax payers of LA County, people are facing layoffs and forced un-paid vacation days because of budget woes. But apparently there is enough money for our fire and police services to be at attention for Michael Jackson even in death. Folks day in and day out, work tirelessly for their community giving of what little they have whether money, resources or time and they're the unsung heroes, not someone who lived a lifestyle of excess and poor boundaries.

July 7, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  42. BCJ

Please, Anderson, don't forget that today is the anniversary of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London. This is an event that truly deserves commemorating and should be mentioned on someone's news show at some point today.

July 7, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  43. Ellie, MD

WHY on earth would you display this man death certificate?

This is truly despicable beyond words. The man is DEAD. There's a certain line that has been crossed when you start showing his birth certificate. This man is someone's FATHER, BROTHER and SON.

CNN has truly stooped to an all time LOWER than LOW.

I find this to be in bad taste, especially for a news network. It just proves how low the media would go for ratings.

Unbelievable.

July 7, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  44. ekta

Still hard to believe...

July 7, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  45. YESENIA MART_SAN

I am so heart broken... If there was any doubt of his death, looking at the hearse and his children and family on stage... it clears ALL doubts. he is dead! RIP MJ, king of pop!

July 7, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  46. bryana

The michael jackson memorial was very touching&i would like 2 watch it again!.

July 7, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  47. Cindy

I have read on twitter that one of MJ accusers have recanted. Could you please research this. I don't believe that he ever had the ability to do what he was accused of. He was of pure heart and soul. Childlike. Nieve and hounded. Please check on the 2 accusers and their parents. I would think this would be new. There are few people in the world that truly love, pure of heart, and I really believe we have lost a beautiful soul.

July 7, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  48. Lorena

I think it is tragic that his death is what it took to unite the world if only for a couple of hours.

Michael while we always did not understand you were the Kng of Pop and lets not forget a dad.

July 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  49. Carol Danto

I wonder who asked to see Michael Jackson's death certificate?
    I don't recall the media ever before so anxious to prove someone is really dead.
    If he is dead, he is dead. I don't need anymore "visibility" on the subject.
    If he isn't dead and was part of a scheme to gather funds for the failing California economy,
    then all the better. We will surely see future videos of the "ghost of pop music!"

July 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  50. Jeri Whitten

I'm glad Michael Jackson is finally buried –maybe CNN will get on with news of the world.

July 7, 2009 at 6:40 pm |