July 6th, 2009
  1. Viviannia Fleming

I have been very disappointed, not only in the Obama administrations lack of homework done in response to the Honduran situation, but also the news media's huge errors in their coverage. They have captioned their pictures completely the opposite of the actual event. I would hope that Anderson Cooper, who has done phenomenal reporting in the past, would rise to the challenge, and do some digging for the true story taking place in Honduras. It is too close to the US border to ignore and too poor to be able to withstand the sanctions. Please help !!

July 7, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  2. C. D. Zelaya

Honduras is fighting for democracy. Ex-President Zelaya wants to change the constitution and perpetuate his time in power. His alliance with Hugo Chávez says it all. The United Nations, the Organization of American States and other international institutions are condemning us. There is hope in Honduras and for the first time we feel our judicial system, military, human-rights interests, churches and businesses are all working for a better Honduras. Mr. Zelaya is manipulating the international opinion against our country. CNN reporter Karl Penhaul has been biased by reporting/interviewing only Zelaya´s supporters.

July 7, 2009 at 3:37 am |
  3. Lilian Bahr

Re: Honduras
    I am so sorry the news are in favor of Zelaya, a highly corrupted leader, you are right,, coups should not be permitted, but the United States doesn't see, that the conquer of Venezuelas president Hugo Chavez is to acummulate as more people as possible against the USA, and the only way to do it, is brain washing with the offer of cheap oil....specially when it is offered to poor countries.....and look at Chavez trying to became an allied of the Irannians, the Cubans, the Russians, countries in history against the USA ideals...but unfortunatelly American doesn't see it. Anyhow it sounds Zelaya violated the constitution by trying to have an election to change the constitution to have the president reelected for as many periods as possible (called dictariorship). Please get the right information about this situation

July 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Heather Frankle

I have been involved with humanitarian service projects in Honduras for the past 6 years and have made many friends in the capital city, Tegucigalpa. I was most recently there in April of this year and was able to talk to many middle class residents about what was then the upcoming referendum. The emails that I have gotten from them on a daily basis refelct the concern that they have that their point of view is not receiving any media coverage. Knowing that Karl Penhaul is on assignment in Tegus, as the residents call their city, I asked permission to try to reach him through this blog. I have heard back that they would welcome the opportunity to speak with any CNN representative, either in person or by email, to discuss the reasons why they feel their government acted legally, within the Honduran constitution, and why the ouster of ex-President Zelaya was not a coup but rather a legal mandate. If you are interested, please respond to my comment so that CNN has access to many more interesting stories and different points of view. Thanks for your interest.

July 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

I hope the people of Honduras get the type of government and country they want. Freedom isn't easy to get and its pretty rough keeping it; hope they have the dedication for the long haul because it is worth it.

July 6, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  6. heather kuhn

I have lived in guatemala all my life and i am tired of all the presidents who are elected, who think they can violate all the laws they want to. The congress of Honduras has given an example by destituying this president who does not obey the laws of his country.

The international community do not know what it means to live under such goberments and are eager to critizes and demand. People like Hugo Chaves, Evo Morales, Rafael Correa, have manipulated democracy so they can stay endlesly in power "in a democratic way", and the international community does not say anything.

I admire the hondurans for not wanting to be another Venezuela. If Honduras is a lot like Guatemala, I am sure that the poor peasants that you see in the video where brought in by, to demonstrate, not knowing exactly what are they demonstrating for.

July 6, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  7. Tammy, Houma, LA

Three cheers for the people of Honduras who are brave enough to fight for what is right for their nation regardless of the world's bullies (including the Obama administration) trying to manhandle them right now. The people of Honduras are no less deserving of a government of their choosing than any other citizens on the planet. Freedom isn't free. My prayers are with them as they battle for the nation they choose.

July 6, 2009 at 5:49 pm |