July 6th, 2009

Palin’s Twitter timeline

Eliza Browning
AC360° Associate Producer

Governor Sarah Palin’s announcement that she will resign from office at the end of the month shocked many on all sides of the political spectrum.

Even many of her fellow conservatives were surprised by the move. Karl Rove said the resignation left some Republicans "a little perplexed" and Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa said her announcement was "astounding."

Some analysts believe that Palin is resigning with 18 months left in office so that she can raise funds  and spend time preparing to seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

But Palin said she already knew she would not seek a second term and decided she didn’t want to become a “lame duck governor” for the remainder of her time in office. She also said that too much time and too many taxpayer dollars were going toward fighting ethics investigations and that the mainstream media were continuing with unfair attacks on her and her family.

The most surprising thing about Palin’s announcement is that few people saw it coming. As analysts rush to figure out exactly what prompted her decision, a look at her Twitter feed offers little indication of a planned resignation.

Gov. Palin launched a Twitter account on April 29, 2009. She uses it to tweet about a variety of topics – from trips around Alaska, to D.C. and even to Kosovo.

A close examination at her twitter updates reveals her political idols (Reagan), her favorite causes (energy, national security, Autism, to name a few) and even what appears to be initial signs of inner reflection about her own priorities. After a trip to visit troops abroad, she tweets: “Sacrificial soldiers who fought for freedom put it all in perspective: time/resources wasted on pettiness is futile- ask what really matters.”

She tweets about her family: “Picking up my handsome little man to rtrn to Juneau, Trig got 1st haircut so my little hippie baby's ready for AK sunshine on his shoulders!”

She also extended what appears to be an olive branch to Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski (whose father Palin defeated in the 2006 gubernatorial race) “Great to see Sen. Murkowski in DC @ her Senate event – she's one tough Alaskan, healing up from ski injury, working hard w/Energy Committee.

Palin even takes a jab at CNN “John also met w/CNN reporter while in Emmonak & shared welcomed GOOD NEWS of region…as a result, highly unlikely interview will air:).

The governor also consistently tweets about developments in the ongoing ethics investigations which reports say may have impacted her decision to resign from office. “Great day! Another frivolous ethics complaint against me was dismissed! I won against another false allegation, too! More info to follow...”

And can you guess which politician gets multiple shout-outs in Palin’s twitter feed? Give up? Gov. Mark Sanford.  She periodically tweeted about making a friendly bets with her fellow governor on hockey games. “Aces game is TONIGHT, not Sat (my mistake) Spoke to SC Governor, reminded him AK looks forward to winning the Cup & winning the bet. GO ACES.”

Two days after she announced her resignation, Palin promises to keep her followers updated with the correct information on her choice. She tweets, “Critics are spinning, so hang in there as they feed false info on the right decision made as I enter last yr in office to not run again....”

Here is a sampling of some of her updates over the past two months.

This is my official Twitter feed – from here I’ll provide updates on issues concerning Alaskans. Learn more about AK at http://www.alaska.gov.3:27 PM Apr 29th from web

AP gravely misquoted my staff, saying I 'changed my mind' on the stimulus package. For accurate info, go to http://tinyurl.com/c7v84t.5:13 PM Apr 29th from web

Thanks to all the folks in Haines & Skagway for your warm welcome! I look forward to visiting you again soon! http://tinyurl.com/co2vu45:51 PM Apr 30th from web

Piper, Trig & I just finished March of Dimes walk – what a great event! See how they promote healthy babies at http://tinyurl.com/cpqgso2:52 PM May 2nd from web

Congrats to Anchorage's new mayor – Dan Sullivan! I look forward to partnering w/Dan as a fiscal conservative. This is great news for AKns!1:53 AM May 6th from web

Great day! Another frivolous ethics complaint against me was dismissed! I won against another false allegation, too! More info to follow...9:34 PM May 8th from web

For more info on dismissed ethics complaints go to http://tinyurl.com/o86hds12:28 AM May 9th from web

Mother's Day tomorrow! Gift advice: write your mom an original poem, I guarantee that's what she wants! And clean the house. With a smile:)12:15 PM May 9th from web

Yet ANOTHER ethics complaint filed & dismissed! Unfair to AKns that state dollars are wasted dealing w/these malicious complaints...5:26 PM May 12th from web

In Juneau budget meeting w/Sr. staff. Working to accommodate shortfall due to low oil prices/high energy costs, & prepare for AK's future.4:00 PM May 13th from TwitterBerry

Just met w/Gen. Chandler & Lt. Gen. Campbell, to discuss status of USAF assets in AK, possible 2009 deployments, & value of training in AK.5:32 PM May 18th from web

On my way to Wrangell now to sign HB 151, legislation extending boating safety & education programs in AK. More info to come…2:19 PM May 20th from TwitterBerry

AK Aces vs SC Stingrays tonight. 1st Family & I will be on hand for win – anticipate winning friendly bet w/SC Gov.Sanford, too. Go, Aces!2:55 PM May 22nd from web

At Wasilla Middle School's 8th grade promotion ceremony. Appreciate AK's educators who make such a sound investment in our state's future!3:49 PM May 22nd from TwitterBerry

Picking up my handsome little man to rtrn to Juneau, Trig got 1st haircut so my little hippie baby's ready for AK sunshine on his shoulders!7:02 PM May 25th from mobile web

It's official: 13 ethics complaints against me & my office have now been dismissed by personnel board! Read more @ http://tinyurl.com/o4k6ux7:11 PM May 27th from web

AK leads Pres Fitness Challenge, but not by much, so I challenge you to join healthy competition: walk, run, hike, sweat, enjoy. We can win.1:52 PM May 28th from TwitterBerry

Met w/Education Com. LeDoux to review progress on State Education Plan & to discuss next year's priorities. Appreciate his good work.12:26 PM May 30th from TwitterBerry

I went north towards Glennallen, picked up Willow & Piper from camp. Gorgeous drive, new snow in hills but greenery reminds it's almost June10:38 PM May 30th from web

Met w/President of Natl Sportsman Caucus, Alabama Rep.Michael Pitts; told him YES I'd be honored to join their cause for responsible access12:14 AM Jun 1st from web

We won. Another expensive, time consuming false ethics charge thrown out. Remember the one: I wore my coat w/Arctic Cat logo & was charged?3:13 PM Jun 3rd from TwitterBerry

Aces game is TONIGHT, not Sat (my mistake) Spoke to SC Governor, reminded him AK looks forward to winning the Cup & winning the bet. GO ACES5:31 PM Jun 5th from TwitterBerry

Joined thousands of walkers @ Autism Speaks' "Walk Now For Autism" in Purchase, NY. Honored to partner w/NY'rs in support of great cause.1:12 PM Jun 7th from TwitterBerry

Great to see Sen. Murkowski in DC @ her Senate event – she's one tough Alaskan, healing up from ski injury, working hard w/Energy Committee9:58 PM Jun 8th from TwitterBerry

In volatile world time is NOW to develop AK resources for environment, economy, natl security. AGIA moves pipeline ahead;news in coming days6:45 AM Jun 11th from TwitterBerry

Travel to Kenai Peninsula to enact numerous bills into law tomorrow; talk about resource development; present Cabinet members to great AKns7:01 AM Jun 15th from TwitterBerry

W/deadly Iranian protests let us be thankful for, & supportive of, U.S. Military defending OUR democracy & freedom. God protect the innocent2:46 PM Jun 20th from TwitterBerry

Make that 15… we now have 15 ethics complaints dismissed against me & my staff. More info on latest dismissal @ http://tinyurl.com/kl7urt6:00 PM Jun 23rd from TwitterBerry

Walked Kosovo streets w/ KFOR troops, folks chatted about their interest in U.S. & they knew a lot about Alaska! Taught them Yupik greetings6:46 AM Jun 26th from TwitterBerry

Why U.S. peace missions for freedom? "America is still the abiding alternative to tyranny. That is our purpose in the world." Ronald R ...8:23 AM Jun 26th from TwitterBerry

John also met w/CNN reporter while in Emmonak & shared welcomed GOOD NEWS of region…as a result, highly unlikely interview will air:)2:50 PM Jun 26th from TwitterBerry

Sacrificial soldiers who fought for freedom put it all in perspective: time/resources wasted on pettiness is futile- ask what really matters10:06 PM Jun 27th from TwitterBerry

TN proceedings begin tomorrow re: democrat lawmaker's son's hacking my & my family's personal, private email then broadcasting them on net.5:17 PM Jun 29th from TwitterBerry

Is it ok to hack emails? Go thru someone's mail & broadcast what you stole? Nope, not ok to most Americans.TN proceedings tomorrow to decide5:21 PM Jun 29th from TwitterBerry

I dont support Waxman-Markey bill; I'll work w/AK Senators & others to address concerns, lacks flexibility needed to protect enviro & develp5:53 PM Jun 29th from TwitterBerry

Congratulations to Anchorage Mayor Dan Sullivan as he is sworn in today! I look forward to working with him.12:59 PM Jul 1st from web

Sign me up: LG's office certified Parent Notification initiative. I’m ready to be 1st in line to sign petition supporting AK’s families.6:35 PM Jul 2nd from web

We'll soon attach info on decision to not seek re-election... this is in Alaska's best interest, my family's happy... it is good, stay tuned3:15 PM Jul 3rd from TwitterBerry

To see full text of the letter from my attorney on baseless allegations of past 24hrs check http://tinyurl.com/mmhv4u12:15 AM Jul 5th from web

Critics are spinning, so hang in there as they feed false info on the right decision made as I enter last yr in office to not run again....10:09 AM Jul 5th from TwitterBerry

so I'll make attempt to keep up w/attaching corrected info. I head 2 West AK villages today, look forward to their busy comm fish activity!10:18 AM Jul 5th from TwitterBerry

Find all of Gov. Sarah Palin’s twitter updates here.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. kim

Brenee D: Sarah's smarts and tenacity are something most women hope NEVER to come close to. Go back and watch some videos of her interviews during the campaign and tell us again how smart she is!

July 7, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  2. Kris

I have one question. What experience does Obama have for being President? I am still looking for him to prove himself. I see nothing yet.

July 7, 2009 at 4:01 am |
  3. connie

Hopefully Ms. Palin will soon put the blame for her problems where they belong..on herself instead of lashing out trying to make it stick to someone else. To get the deer in headlights look when asked the simple question "which magazines do you read" and then accuse the media of cheap tricks when she can't come up with the name one magazine. Blame the media.
    David Letterman says stupid things all the time and he certainly owned up for this one. But for " the first dud" Todd to then come all righteous insinuating that for his daughter to get pregnant it would be rape!!. What is he suggesting here about her first pregnancy. Any idiot knew Letterman was referring to older daughter. Blame Letterman.
    And where do these suggestions come from saying that adults are attacking her baby? How come no one else has heard of this. Why would she drag that baby in as an excuse for her.
    From the beginning it was a known fact that she was in way over her head and at best should stay at the small town mayor level.
    She should accept the fact that she is in no way qualified for any higher office.

July 7, 2009 at 2:17 am |
  4. cassandra

This was so ridiclous she justified everything negative about her, do you actually think I would give anyone my VOTE who would just leave office in the manner she did? She showed us just how incompetent she really is her explanation totally off the wall she' a basketcase I can't believe what she did just it was nauseating and lame lacks what it takes to become a leader, make me shame to be a female her statement was off course what in the world she was talking about!

JUST SAD

July 7, 2009 at 2:07 am |
  5. Training Girl

Sarah...
    Keep followin' the rainbow ... it's been brutal but you've past with flying colors! Know that It will all be returned to you...1000 fold and know that we're here for you girl, praying you through ... every step of the way!!!

July 7, 2009 at 1:58 am |
  6. will

I quit,i have had relations with Mark Sanford

July 7, 2009 at 1:41 am |
  7. Peaches

GOOD, BYE! I hope that she goes away and never returns! She loves to be in the Lime Light, and she will do anything to keep herself there. She distorts things and is really the epitome of " Mean Spirted " people. She always calls other people this, but she is the actual meaning of this. I can't believe that there are still people that want for her to run our country. Palin loves to dish out negative things about others but she can't take it! Look what she did to David Letterman, she also dogged Obama, and he didn't retaliate. She always wants to play the victim, yet she is always the guilty party.
    I am glad to see her Go. You will see, she can't stay out of the media's
    eye.

July 7, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  8. Susi

I am still scratching my head that this woman actually was elected Gov. of Alaska in the first place. It looks as if Alaskans have learned their lesson. I still can't believe anyone gives this empty head any credibility at all! Let's stop giving her the attention she so shamelessly
    seeks.

July 6, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  9. Shelly

Wow. It's funny to me to read all of these comments. Palin is awful because... No! Obama stinks because... No! Palin is stupid because... It is easy for us all to sit back and criticize people in office. They are supposed to be to a higher standard than the rest of us... right? Let's not forget that each is human. (stop rolling your eyes)

If you liked her, great. Be happy that she is taking time to be with her family and have a normal life that we all deserve. If you don't like her, great. Be happy that she isn't in office anymore. Move on.

July 6, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  10. erwin b

s palins resignation is very interesting -what is really behind this action ?? we will probably be informed eventually as usual-no speculation as it isonly guessing -nice to hear your analysis AC you are very well informed and knowledgable–thanks

July 6, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  11. Michele

What the hell was she saying anyway? Is it me, or was that the most random, disconnected speech ever???
    I liked her to a degree when she ran for Vice-President, but after that "announcement" I thank God she didn't win!!!
    Imagine

July 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  12. mercedes munoz

Sarah Palin is very smart-and for the right wing,very smart and wise.She is the most honest,genuine,and righteous governor.And as for people disrespecting her decision,that's for the Obama-nation, who chose to conveniently,and maliciously continue to attack her,to talk about.
    Why dont people sum up the real good reasons she's leaving office? Because the media is biased.Thank the Lord she has a twitter page!

July 6, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  13. Stunna

Dear Sarah Palin,
    Thank you for the best gift you could possibly given-quitting as govenor! You have placed a cloud over Alaska and would place the US in GRAVE danger as the backup to an elderly although well meaning McCane. Now that you are in such a giving "frame of mind" PLEASE do us all the biggest favor of all: Just GO AWAY.
    Stunna

July 6, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  14. Rick in Tokyo

Lampe: I (and many other Americans) will always defend your and Sarah Palin's right to express your opinion. But please do not confuse the privilege of free speech and meaningful dialogue with frivolous attempts to direct attention to petty interests fueled by misplaced political ambition, we've already got Kim Jong-Il for that.

July 6, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  15. David Hill

brenee

as far as your comments, obviously your an avid wonam's libber, who is not concerned about letting a flaky, self-serving Alaskan primadonna, try to get the second most powerful job in the world..
    I think there are an incredible number of well qualified, and probably over qualified, women in the country who could do a better job than most of the men vying for the Presidency. Unfortunalely, Sara Palin is DEFINITELY NOT ONE OF THOSE WOMEN!!! She can't even carry out a mandate that the citizens of Alaska have given her. If that call comes in at 3:00 a.m. (like the wonderful pre-election hype asked), would you want to hear "Sorry, she's out hunting Moose with some basketball players"

July 6, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  16. Ron

Half the time I don't think that Sarah Palin knows what she's talking about. One of her Tweets she said "God bless the Jewish Community" after a 'BLACK MAN" was shot and killed at the Holocaust Museum. She didn't even mention anything about the guy who was killed. She has also said too many mindless things that are too numerous to mention.

July 6, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  17. howard

thank you for serving our country sarah.
    I look forward to more of your refreshing honest commentary in the future.
    hhd

July 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  18. David Hill

lampe, I don't hate any1 I don't know sarah palin, I just know that what she has shown the world since being introduced by john mcain, is that she definitely is NOT presidential material. All your other comments I agree completely with, and one can only hope that Pres Obama can achieve some semblance of sanity and hope in the wreckage left behind by 8 years of George Bush and his band of criminal sidekicks!!! But the, when you elect someone with an I.Q. of 72, I guess there's bound to be some problems left behind. One can only hope for better days!

July 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Lorena Campozano

I hope that the republicans agree that this woman was only an oportunist, who thanks God didn't make it. She is absolutely terrible to run this country, it would have been a disaster if she was our Vice President. Let's hope we don't hear about her for a while, and hopefully she concentrates on checking the people who are writing the book for her, because I doubt very seriously that she will be the one who does the writing....................she is a disgrace!

July 6, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Karen

Why, when many defend Sarah Palin, is her appearance mentioned? What on earth does a physical appearance have to do with her position? A can of hair spray and a tube of lipstick bring nothing to the job. This is not a beauty contest.

Shallowness and vanity, not a prerequisite for employment in this field.

July 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Linda

Wonder if Sarah can see Russia from where she's fishing? She might be able to watch a real President work and get some of the things done that Bush wasn't able to do (even though he could "see into Putin's soul").

July 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. sparks24

LOve YOu Sarah

July 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Americana

I'm glad she quit. I'm glad she passed the ball for victory. : )

July 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Lampe

David: I hope at the end of 4 years, we are still able to say we dodged a bulletr with Obama. You all shuld be more worried about the Economy, Obama raising taxes. Biden saying they misunderstood the problems, and when and where these missles are going to hit. Instead all you are concerned about is Gov. Palin. We get it already you Hate her Guts. But, none of you seem to remember Obama, not only said he would not run for POTUS, if he was elected to be a Senator for Chicago, he ran while he was a Senator, and still took a pay for being a Senator. How is that not a problem for all of you? And any man who Jokes about a teenage girl having sex with an older man, not only needs to apologize, he needs to lose his job. CNN: When are you going to get off of the Jackson and Palin bandwagon, and start reporting on the unemployment rate rising, you know the one Obama said would go over 9% if we didn't pass the stimulus bill?

July 6, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  25. Brenee

You go Lampe. You are correct. These are the same people who put the no experienced President Obama in office. Wait until our country is entirely changed for the worse with a depression, socialistic welfare society. And as far as the other comment about Sarah Palin not being in the same league as Clinton, Pelosi,.....thank God for that. We certainly don't need anyone else of that calibur in government.

July 6, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  26. Brenee D

Get a grip. So sorry many women are threatened and intimidated by the attractive intelligent and moral woman named Sarah Palin. Having someone of that integrity would serve our country well.
    Stop putting down a talented and gifted woman because you probably can't even come close to her at any level of looks, smarts, tenacity, and integrity. You go Sarah. Ignore all the jealous women out there who seem to misunderstand what women like you are all about.

July 6, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  27. Nancy Lee

I don't believe that Sarah Palin has her finger on the pulse of the American public. If she can't take the heat of her governor's job how can she possibly consider a higher office? Who knows what's on her mind or what her intentions are......what she's building for herself is an aura of distrust. I'm a woman and vote for women whenever possible....but she just lost my vote.!

July 6, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  28. David Hill

The world dodged a big bullet when the mcain/palin ticket was defeated. I can just see Princess Palin sitting in the White House saying " I don't like this job, I QUIT!" Personally, I think she's a KGB plant, and she would never have survived in Washington, not being able to sit on her deck and see her Beloved Motherland.
    I'm still trying to translate her parting speech though, and have asked for some help from the NBA.
    David Letterman, you had nothing to apologize for, and I hope you will use these recent events as the priceless material that they are.

July 6, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  29. cy

i forgot to add this.

Palin has the guts to talk about Mrs. Clinton. know who is the pitbull and please tell Palin she has single handedly shown us she is not in the CLINTON, RICE, POLOSI'S league.
    palin, making babies does not make us all mothers. my analogy makes more sense that ur fish with the basket ball looking for a hoop.

July 6, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  30. Lampe

Alice in NYC: Do you mean the same way that Obama promised the people in Chicago that he would not run for POTUS is they elected him to the Senate? And really what she said is true. If it is something Obama has done, it's alright with everyone, but, if she does the exact samething she catches HELL. Why is that? Do you people really have that much Hate in your hearts, that you can't see the truth, when it's looking you right in the face? And, incase you all forgot there are still alot more people who think Obama is not presidential material, and by the way things are going it might just get to be more and more. How about doing some reporting on Biden saying him and Obama were WRONG about the stimulis pakage, and what happened to it stopping the unemployment rate from going up?

July 6, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  31. cy

madam Pelin. u have made the governors seat look like a cheerleading practise. so what happened to the pit pull = all bark and no bite. the point guard drives the ball and trying to find the hoop = where the heck are my. the dead fish flowing with the stream = can someone bail me out of this one. the rambling = her i go lieing to them agian.
    now she is going to write a book? Alakans lets go moose hunting and look at russia.

July 6, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  32. Annie Kate

Whatever reason Palin quit for will eventually come out; it always does. I'm just glad she quit; the woman is not Presidential material. I would hope we would be smarter than to elect her but then again we elected Bush, not once but twice.

July 6, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  33. sharon, sydney, ns

Did anyone ever really understand the things she said or did? While her resignation did come as a surprise, I can honestly say, the act itself didn't. Everything that happens to her , right down to and including her speeches seem to come right out of the blue. After shaking my head at the end her resignation speech, I could only wonder what she'll be up to next. At least she knows how to keep people guessing.

July 6, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  34. Alice NYC

Adios Sarre I don't care if she thinks she will run in 2012, only an idiot would vote for a person who promised her constituents that if they vote her into office she would be able to help Alaska. She has abandon Alaska at a time when all of the states are having a very difficult time. She should have finished, unless of course she knew something was coming that would have forced her to rsign. We may never know, because she probably cut a deal. Or she is just money hungry, said HECK to Alaska, and she will chase that money whereever it leads. Either way i tink Alaska is better off without her. Now I hope CNN, and all the other media outlets, stop giving her so much coverage, leave it to PEOPLE, TMZ and the othe gossip rags to repor on her, thats where she belongs. I would love to see TMZ run her down, now that she will be an ordinary celebritty or what ever. Anderson your to good for that, stay focus on the WOrld NEWs.

July 6, 2009 at 5:53 pm |