July 6th, 2009

Morning Buzz: All eyes on LA

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/05/jackson.tickets/art.staples.center.gi.jpg]

Eliza Browning
AC360° Associate Producer

Anderson is anchoring from the Staples Center in Los Angeles tonight, where preparations for Michael Jackson’s memorial service tomorrow are under way. It is shaping up to be a huge international event. Last night, 8,750 tickets were distributed to people who were chosen from a lottery. Can you imagine the logistics involved in getting ready for this service?

Meanwhile, the investigation into Jackson’s death continues – the LAPD has executed at least three search warrants to determine if medication was responsible for his death and at least five doctors are under investigation. We’ll have more on the service and new developments in the investigation tonight.

Why did she do it? Over the weekend many fellow conservatives admitted they were “shocked” by Governor Sarah Palin’s decision to resign. While there is growing speculation as to what prompted the move, one thing is certain – no one knows for sure. The FBI says it’s not investigating Palin on public corruption charges and reports say growing criticism was taking its toll on her.

Have you heard about the nightmare of a situation in South Carolina? In a small town called Gaffney, authorities say five people have been killed in nine days by a suspected serial killer. Residents have been urged to check on loved ones and to be careful; needless to say everyone is on edge. David Mattingly is there and will bring us more tonight.

The political situation in Honduras continues to heat up. Ousted President Jose Manuel Zelaya tried to return to the country yesterday, after being forced into exile last Sunday. But he was denied permission to land at the airport in the country’s capital last night and his plane was diverted to neighboring El Salvador. There was a deadly clash between Zelaya’s supporters and government troops and at least one person was killed after security forces opened fire and used tear gas on several thousand protesters who ringed the airport.

We’re also following developments in Iran. Over the weekend, Iranian clerics disputed the country’s election results. This is a significant strike against Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has sided with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. What will this mean for the protest movement?

And we learned this morning that former U.S. Defense Secretary Robert McNamara has died at age 93. McNamara was a member of Kennedy’s inner circle during the Cuban Missile Crisis and became a key architect of the U.S. war in Vietnam. His management of the war sparked controversy as the U.S. military commitment in Vietnam grew from approximately 1,000 to half a million trips. More on McNamara’s legacy tonight.

Filed under: Eliza Browning • The Buzz
  1. Donna

Oh give me a break! This constant coverage of Jackson is getting very old!

July 7, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  2. carolyn

I believe Michael was a loving soul that wanted the world to love one another and wanted children to be happy.It is sad that people took advantage of his free spirit may his light of love shine on.

July 7, 2009 at 12:11 am |
  3. Carol B

It's still a shock that MJ is gone, inspite of his lifestyle and his choices MJ was still a great entertainer and music icon. A family has lost a brother, father and most importantly a son. My heart goes out to his mother. Inspite of how others feel about him a mother has lost a son that can't be replaced. People need to be sympathic towards the family and allow them to grieve. Ask any mother inspite of your children's choices in life that's still your child and you love them inspite of. My condolences go out to the family.

Carol B
    Little Elm, TX

July 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

I'll be glad when Jackson is buried and the news moves on from him and the whole circus this has become. I can't believe the amount of coverage you are giving this – the assassination of JFK didn't get this much coverage and he was a President. (3 days and it was over yet with MJ it has been a week now).

Looking forward to the stories on everything else – especially Palin and I hope this won't be drug out too.

July 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  5. Em

Death photo’s all over news and in the tabloids, raffling tickets to a memorial, speculating on a childs parentage…has this world lost all sense of decorum. I know your polls say people want to know but isn’t there a responsibility somewhere to draw a line between sordid, tabloid journalism and the real thing. What more can you possibly say about Michael that is not either terribly intrusive or grossly exploitive. I understand some folks have great admiration for Michael and want to show the man respect. I cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, understand how watching the 3-ring circus being played out in the media (yes CNN that means you too!) might fulfill that need. Fame, gossip and inuendo tormented the man throughout his life, can we not allow him even a shred of dignity in his passing?

In the mean time, a soldier has been kidnapped, coups are occuring, North Korea wants to nuke us, the President is in Russia, we are conducting the largest offensive ever against the Taliban in Afghanistan, the economy and future remain uncertain and I still haven’t heard what Roxana had to say. Surely the time has come to move on!

AC, the MJ story is one case in which I think your program could take the higher road. Ratings be damned, don’t let yourself crawl into the hog trough with those who would sensationalize and exploit.

July 6, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  6. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

It's so true that all this should had be done a week ago, yet the Fact reminds that The World Loves Michael Jackson! The Fact is, he is one of the greatest entertainers. To the congressman King, he better Recognize who the real King is, "We the Juniors, find the defendant NOT, not Guilty!" so there, let's put it to rest in peace.

July 6, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  7. terri angelides

Make no mistake about it--you can't cover Michael Jackson enough! Your coverage has been excellent and has NOT been excessive. If I never hear the words Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan or Argentina again it will be too soon. It's so very sad that it took the death of an AMERICAN icon to get me to pay attention to the news and be reminded that I'm an American and a Michael Jackson could only come out of a culture (our culture IS Pop Culture and that's it and damn if that isn't OK with me) like ours. Watching his music videos over and over and over (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough) I feel happy, joyful, proud, thrilled, ALIVE. It reminds one that the news is generally a drag. And like I said, I'm sick of what is happening in other countries and it's sick that our American men and women are dying, kiling and being killed in these places. It's wrong and what about us right here in the US? 500 million hit the Staples website to register for tickets to the Memorial Service. What does that scream out at you? Something so powerful and real is happening and we should try to find out what it is. Michael Jackson as a great performer and a great humanitarian filled a deep, deep need in all of the millions of people mourning his death. Let's try to find out what it is.

July 6, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  8. Laurence

Some people keep saying that MJ was a philanthropist... other than "We are the world", please let me know what he did as a philanthropist?
    Please CNN and AC360 go back to real news, we are still waiting for the Iranian-American journalist interview Anderson did in paris, or did I miss it?

July 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  9. Enough

Well I hope the tax payers of California aren't footing the bill for all the extra police................we can't afford to keep our parks open, we are broke!

July 6, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  10. jmiller

African Americans adore Michael Jackson but he did not adore blacks. I have never seen him date a black, marry one, or even select black scientifically prepared children to raise.
    He was stranger then anyone I've ever seen. He was not normal in any way. Some say "you did not give Elvis such a hard time", but Elvis was not molesting kids with cancer. Just because the jury finds you not guilty does not guarantee you are not guilty. All his music sounded the same. in his last concert rehearsal he looked like a mime with his face painted white. Everything about him was strange, from the captain crunch outfit, bony structure to the girls voice. In death he was as in life, a complete mess. What a loser.

July 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  11. Theresa, Des Moines, IA

As long as you are covering Michael Jackson events, I will switch to another channel or turn the TV off. If you continue to do it long enough, I will probably quit watching altogether. This wall to wall "tabloid" coverage of Michael Jackson is not worthy of CNN or AC 360.

July 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  12. JIM PERIGNY

The MJ coverage is non stop because MJ was more that an average entertainer. He was also a Philantropist. He simply was Americas greatest entertainer of all time.

As a DJ, I personally hope to see all his un-released music will be released. I would like to see more stories on his humanitarian efforts.

Shame on those peddling salacious rating driven opinions of what happened and digging up the child molestation charges. In America, we are not guilty unless convicted by a jury, or did we forget that?

July 6, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  13. faye

it sadden me to have people like you cooper. all the negative talk about Michael you in your entire lifetime will not be able to do a third of what Mcheal has done . you and gupta are the most toxtic pair in broadcasting you bash Michael when he was alive and still doning it
    in death. you have a heart that is colder than ice. you even start on his kids their father is not even layed to rest an there you are about his kids and who is there father shame on you. i would if it was a person that is of your colour you would have been this negative. have you check your closet lately i hope you have no skeltons.i think Michael family should banned you from coming to his memorial service tomorrow , Michael is there father i dose not matter what you tjhink.
    toxic toxic toxie shame on you

July 6, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  14. Babs

Please, please give the reporting on Michael Jackson a rest! There are more important things going on in the world!

July 6, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  15. Triny

FYI, the family is paying for Michael Jackson's funeral, not the city of Los Angeles.

July 6, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  16. Dagmar

Dear Anderson,
    I am so disappointed and tired to hear of all the negative reports of Michael Jackson. Let the man rest in Peace!
    Fact is:
    Michael Jackson was the greatest Entertainer of all times, an Icon to billion of people worldwide.
    He was the greatest Humanitarian! I don't know of anybody who did as much as he did.
    And lets not forget the fact, that he legally was acquitted by "the court of law" of all charges.
    The media needs to stop talking about this and really start celebrating his legacy as what he was: The greatest Entertainer, an Icon and the greatest Humanitarian.
    Tthe medias has the power to stop it! Everyone needs to think about his children for a minute.

I do agree, that the doctor's who gave him all these drugs (if true), should be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law.

July 6, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  17. Tim

FYI: In case you were wondering, we are still at war on two different fronts, our governors are being indicted/quitting with great regularity, North Korea is aiming nuclear-equipped ICBM's at Hawaii, and we're stuck in a deep recession. No wonder Walter Cronkite is ill; if I had devoted my life to quality journalism only to see Jackson become the top story on all of the major media outlets, then I would feel sick too.

July 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  18. Julie

North Korea's threatening to launch rockets towards Hawaii and all we can talk about is Michael Jackson and Sarah Palin?

Do you guys work for Fox?

BTW, did you ever consider the prospect that Ms. Palin is dropping out because it was rumored she got a little "friendly" with her husband's business partner a few years back? Love to see if there's any "Sanford" type e-mails in her past. Maybe she doesn't want to put her family through that mess.

My sense of cynacism says Mitt Romney's taking out all the possible 2012 Republican contenders long before the election begins.

Biden was in Iraq. If Anderson wants us to take him seriously, maybe he'd better start covering real news instead of Michael Jackson.

July 6, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  19. Triny

This has been a really sad week and a half. I keep hoping I'll wake up and this is all a bad dream but as his memorial service nears it's finally sinking in: Michael Jackson is gone.

He made statements, whether personal or political through his music. He made the world more aware of what goes on in it. This man broke racial barriers and world records in both music and humanitarian deeds. There will NEVER be another entertainer like him, never.

Michael Jackson is truly one of a kind and he will be missed. Michael may you rest in pease had have the serenity that you longed for. God bless you, your family and most especially your children.

July 6, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  20. Sharon P

Each time I turn on CNN and see another story about Michael Jackson, I turn to a different network. Who decided that Michael Jackson's death was more important than the rest of the news in the world? Get some broader perspective.

July 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  21. JE

Everyone is complaining about how much MJ's funeral will cost taxpayers.
    Has anyone found out how much MJ paid in taxes over his lifetime ?

July 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  22. Joyce

L.A. is so upset about Michael Jackson's funeral and all the money they need to put out for security and other services, what about all the TOURIST DOLLARS that this event is bringing into the city. No one has mentioned that.

July 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  23. shirley

In my opinion, I think everyone should leave M.J. alone he had a tough life and gave us everything he had, he was the king of Pop.
    He deserves the best send off there every is. One way that CNN could do something nice for his memorial is to run the tape from 1993, Oprah is interviewing Michael Jackson and it was a really nice interview.
    They talked about what a good person Michael Jackson was and how he helped alot of ill children with terminal conditions.

IN THIS LIFE THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.

Not , how many surgeries he had or how much money he owes or
    all of the terrible thing everyone is making up.

Please run that tape, we should be honoring him for what he has given us.

Thanks,
    shirley

July 6, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  24. Martina Ilstad Germany

I am really sorry about Michael Jackson death,but enough is enough.
    Lett him R.I.P.,I dont believe its in Michaels senses,what happen now.
    Will he ever gets peace or selent ,even not in liftime, than maybe now,in his death?
    You will have your show tomorrow,but after, that pleace go back, to worldproblems.There is a world outside,and ther are many problems await you will tell us.

July 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  25. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, Nevada

Now people are selling the memorial tickets that they were given and trying to make big money off of Michaels death, it's so sad that people would do that. Welcome to the world that we've become.

July 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  26. William of Iowa

This is MJN. Hopefully the network has saved enough money to send news teams into Afganistan, Honduras and a variety of locations – maybe Moscow – to report events that have real impact on our lives. I've tuned to the cable news network previouly known and respected as CNN each night for the past five and each hit produced a Michael Jackson piece. Sending Anderson Cooper to the Staples Center for live reporting lends an aura of importance to what is really just the passing of a celebrity who fell victim to fame and fortune.

July 6, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  27. Archana

i am actually very gald that MJ is getting covered. He was a gifted and talented human being. I had the chance to see him perform in LONDON-WEMBLEY when i was only 10yrs old. For me that was amazing...his death is tragic and heartfelt fo rme....i hold a lot of childhood memories with is music. I just wanna say dignity should be given for his coverage. My concern are his kids, what all of a sudden D. Rowe wants them...well i think she gave up any rights for her children when she took the money. after all isnt that what she wants....money? and one final thing.....can anyone find that kid who accused MJ of molestation and ask him if he is happy now that he killed the worlds most loved human being??

July 6, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  28. c, SO ca

I am SOOoooo sick of hearing about Michael Jackson. This Staples thing isn't a tribute to MJ – it's another stunt for people (AEG, etc) to make money off of MJ's popularity. The tickets were "free" – however, we all know they're going to be selling T-shirts, cds, programs, photos, you name it. And, of course, they will film this thing and sell the DVD/CDs of it. Gawd, people are so gullible it drives me crazy.

AND this was not a random drawing. This morning I was driving to work (I live in SoCal) and the local radio stations HAVE tickets that they are giving away in radio contests! We're supposed to believe that the stations just got lucky and won the drawing?

And, as a resident of Cal, I really resent the amount of time and money LA is spending on this. California is laying off teachers left and right. The State is near bankruptsy – however, we can easily spend $2.5 million dollars for police overtime so that AEG (who owns Staples Center BTW) can regain some of the money they lost on the London concerts.

Several commentators have said that Michael Jackson was surrounded by people who used him for their own gain. This Staples thing is a perfect example of that. There are people who will make a fortune off of this. Ridiculous.

July 6, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  29. Isabel

Other apart!

Impressive organization of the Michael Jackson's wake. For those who were not drawn, they received the answer:

"Sorry, we regret to inform you that your registration to attend the Public Memorial Service for Michael Jackson was not selected."

This is an example, nowadays, where many people and institutions do not take the trouble to respond to sender.

July 6, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  30. Enough

CNN – we now know why you won't let the Michael Jackson coverage die with him..............it is the only thing that has given a boost to your ratings. Pretty Ironic, CNN is no longer the News leader, but you have become the Entertainment leader.

July 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  31. Isabel

In time:
    About Honduras, I would like to report more on AC360.

July 6, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  32. Isabel

Good morning! Almost good afternoon!

What madness this history of raffle for the Michael's wake. I read that only one in 183 people was selected. This is more competitive that the entrance to the university. It is a version of real life for the golden tickets to Willy Wonka (from "A fantastic chocolate factory).

Really that each person is entitled to 2 tickets and do have people are selling the second ticket on eBay?
    Good I stay in my home, by watching CNN ... in that case, Anderson, please show me everything in detail, huh!

RIP Michael.

Honduras, that total chaos! The entire international community condemned the coup.
    A problem in Honduras is that there is a figure of impeachment. There is no way to remove the president the power by the Constitution.

See you later

July 6, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  33. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Morning Eliza
    This is sounding like a three ring circus as this memorial service is palnning out .I can't imagine the crowds of people jammed into this venue .The poeple who got tickets and are lucky enough to get in there but still it's caos and i hope there are no problems with the overwhelming number of people i hoipe they have htis under control . Anderson has his hands full being out thier wow!

Thanks for the buzz
    Michelle D.

July 6, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  34. Daniel Edmunds

MJ needs to be laid to rest! This circus type of atmosphere is neither befitting a man of his talent or a Christian.

July 6, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  35. Heather,Ca

I think the coverage of Michael Jackson is over board. I think Michael Jackson was a very talented man, but also a troubled person. Obviously he had a drug problem. He used alias's and went dr shopping like many celebrities do. It sad that someone whom many admired was so lonely. I hope all these doctors are found. I feel terrible for the children he left behind. We will always have his music, but they no longer have a father.
    I have absolutely no clue what Gov Palin was saying. She has a way of just talking that doesn't make any sense. Kinda like she was talking before she was talking to the press and you can't follow it mid conversation. She did seem nervous. But I have no idea what she was even saying. Lots of run one sentences.
    I think the country did the right thing in Hondouras. A president can't change a constitution to stay in power. That is not democracy. Obama's lack of experience by supporting that is disturbing. But not surprising.

July 6, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  36. Eric Sutherland

Anderson,
    I completely agree with Rep. Peter King's comments about Michael Jackson. I think it's completely ridiculous that the media is spending so much time on this story. Despite his aquittal, we all know that MJ had a 'thing' for kids and should not be admired or remembered in any kind of positive light. Anyway, I will not be watching his memorial and will continue to change the channel anytime CNN or any other network talks about this pedophile.
    Eric Sutherland, DPT.
    Valdosta, GA (Canadian citizen).

July 6, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  37. Cindy

I for one will be glad when Jackson is buried and we can get this over and done with. I am tired of all of the non-stop MJ coverage. He was a great singer but enough is enough. You all didn't go on like this when Reagan died and he was one of the best presidents that we ever had. What did Michael do compared to that?

It's a no brainer that drugs killed MJ. Hopefully the docs who gave him all those meds will be prosecuted and lose their license. It's really ridiculous that they will pump someone full of drugs just for the money and not care about the persons well being at all.

I've been following the SC serial killings and I am glad that 360 sees fit to also. It is scary to think that someone is just out there randomly killing people for no reason other than to taunt police. They have a sketch and description out of the man and what he is driving also. Hopefully he'll be caught before he kills anyone else.

I don't see the clerics refuting the Iran election results doing much for the Iranian people unless they can get more of the top brass to join in the effort. About the only way the results will be overturned is a coup and the Iranian people and Mousavi don't have that clout.

Cindy..Ga.