July 6th, 2009

Evening Buzz: New details on Jackson Memorial

Cate Vojdik
AC360º Writer

Tonight Anderson anchors live from Los Angeles, where the city is bracing for Michael Jackson’s memorial service at the Staples Center. A private funeral and burial will take place tomorrow morning before the memorial. We’ll have the latest details, including the superstar line-up of performers—many of them personal friends of Jackson–scheduled to take part.

We’ll also have the latest on the investigation into Jackson’s death and the battle for control over his estate. A judge today denied Katherine Jackson’s request to remain in temporary control her son’s estate—and instead appointed two longtime advisers of Michael Jackson - an entertainment attorney and a music executive named in a 2002 will - as temporary administrators pending an August hearing.

Another story we’re following closely: the fallout from Sarah Palin’s surprise resignation as governor of Alaska. She dropped the bombshell Friday, heading into the holiday weekend. Since then, the questions have only multiplied. Why is she stepping down with 18 months left in her term? Are there new and unwelcome revelations coming down the pike that forced her to bolt? Or is this just the latest left turn from a self-described “maverick.” We’re digging deeper.

In South Carolina, there’s a potential break in a string of killings that have terrorized a small rural community. Five people were shot to death over six days last week. Tonight, the manhunt for the suspected killer may be over. We’ll have the latest developments as they unfold.

Plus, in Moscow today President Obama kicked off two days of meetings with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev. On Day One, they committed to deeper nuclear cuts and downplayed differences over American missile defense. They’re also expected to focus on nuclear arms control, Afghanistan, and the environment. We’ll talk strategy with David Gergen.

See you at 10 p.m. eastern.

Filed under: Cate Vojdik • The Buzz
  1. Peggy

We will never forget you Michael.

July 7, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  2. Lorna

A Tribute to Micheal Jackson:
    God gave lirfe and he takes it away;
    he is the potter and i am the clay;
    when i veiw the last sunset and crossed over the sea
    i know the sunrise will be waiting for me
    Chrous
    On what a sun rise;
    its going to be
    death willl lose its sting
    and the grave its victory;
    the silence will be broken
    and the storm clouds role away.
    i hear thhe saints if ages singing
    of a new home coming day.
    Verse 2
    Time will come for the last good bye;
    there is a smile no tears to dim the eyes.
    Death will only take us
    to sleep in the arms of
    our savior so sweet.

July 7, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  3. Donna

This constant coverage of Michael Jackson is so utterly ridiculous! There are wars and missiles and other far more important events that should take top billing for at least part of this week that's been spent exclusively on Jackson. I'm sorry for him and his family but come on! CNN, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

July 7, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  4. McKildred

I give my respect to the jackson family.Michale is now in a better place R.I.P. I will keep praying for the family as they heal slowly I was fan of Michael Jackson I love all of his music and his sister's to Janet Jackson.

I just would like to say the media always try to make people look bad when someone dies if MJ did drugs then that was his business they need to stop getting into his personal life what he did in his personal life did not have anything to do with us please let this man Rest In Peace. His ex wife what kind of mother would just give their kids away

July 7, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  5. leslie kandl

I still sit here in amazement at the fact there is still so much coverage on michael jackson. You would hardly know that there is a war in aphganistan where our guys are being killed as a matter of fact 7 were killed today and i heard 2 minutes of it on the news. My son is in afganistan and i fear each day that something may happen to him, but we still talk about michael jackson who most likely died of a drug overdose at his own hand. He was not an icon to everyone. The news is not being fair to those who are newsworthy. Please post this as i am not the only one who feels this way. It is time to put our priorties in order. By the way has anyone reported on the progess of the american reporters in North Korea. This country should be ashamed of itself.

July 7, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  6. Sylvia C.

I am appauled that the news media is still going on asking if any of his friends has noticed any signs of drug use , even on the day we are going to lay him to rest, it is already been suspected can we leave the drug scandal alone for today at least! Can he rest in peace today without all the negativity! Please......give him a break , today at least! MY GOD , this is the kind of stuff that made him a loner in the first place...................

July 7, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  7. Sian

Anderson? Have you changed the format of your web site from news to being a Michael Jackson fan site? This is way too much coverage. Enough is enough!

July 7, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  8. Sarah

Anderson, you are adorable. But please. If you devote yet another show to the maudlin and macabre mass "grief" for Michael Jackson, I swear I will never watch again. There's real news out there. Give us all a break, return some balance and sanity and stand on a different rooftop. Preferably not in LA.

July 7, 2009 at 7:59 am |
  9. RENE

Micheal: Another day has gone
    I am still all alone
    How could this be?
    Jesus, you are not here with me
    They said you were crucified
    You never said good-bye
    Please tell me why
    Did you really have to go?
    And leave my world so cold

Everyday I sit and ask myself
    How did my true love just slip away
    And than Jesus whispers in my ear and says:
    Jesus: "Micheal, you are not alone.
    I am here with you.
    Though you seem far away
    For you I am here to stay
    But you are not alone
    For I am here with you
    Though it seems we are far apart
    Micheal, you are always in my heart
    Indeed Micheal, you are not alone"

Micheal: Jesus just this Wednesday night
    I thought I heard you cry
    Asking me to come
    To hold me in your arms
    I can hear your prayers
    " Micheal, your burdens I will bear
    But first I need your hand
    Then "Forever can begin"

Every day I sit and ask myself
    How did my love slip away
    "Micheal, you are not alone
    For I am here with you
    Though it seems we are far away
    I am here to stay

Angels: "For you all are not alone
    For we are here with you
    Though we seem far apart
    You all are always in our hearts

Jesus: "Micheal you are not alone
    Just reach out for me in the afternoon
    It will be no bother
    I will take you to "The Father"

.....And on 6/25/09, Thursday afternoon at 12:17 p.m, Micheal Joseph Jackson's spirit was indeed accompanied
    by Jesus, The Christ, to our "Father"

Love, Peace and Joy.......Rene (Dr.J)....."God Is"...that is all.

July 7, 2009 at 7:52 am |
  10. Steven

Micheal Jackson was a great entertainer and a charitable human being , let us remember that God controls Life and Death and God does not make any mistake , May God forgive him of any mistakes he has made and grant him the great blessings of paradise.

July 7, 2009 at 6:51 am |