July 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/02/09

We have information that might shed new light on perhaps the central unanswered question in Michael Jackson's death. Was the "King of Pop" using powerful, potentially deadly, surgical anesthetics to get to sleep? Don't miss our exclusive 360° investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Linda D Ohio

We have lost alot of famous people due to drugs, Elvis Presley, Anna Nicole Smith, Heath Ledger, these were all prescription drugs. It's really sad that it's taking the passing of MJ for the DEA to be called in to investigate this. It should of been done long ago and maybe this wouldn't of happened.

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Christina Nieves

R.I.P The King Of Pop

I feel MJ should be put to rest in Neverland, I grew up with his music he has touched so many people through his music, I think The media needs to stop making him look like some kind of junkie and let him rest. He was a great entertainer and I'm so very thankful that I got the chance to experience him, He was Elvis and the Beetles combined in one of my generation. God Bless Him

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Tammy, Houma, LA

For some reason I just have very little sympathy for Bernie's wife having to leave the fur with the penthouse.

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Michelle

This guy is a police chief. What was he thinking ?

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

The governors wife may be able to forgive him (although so very difficult when it's been more then one) but to forget is a totally different feeling. Trusting after so much infidelity is almost near impossible in your heart and soul and trust is everything in a relationship. Sometimes the only thing that keeps two people together after something like this is not to be 'in love' anymore with the cheater. Sometimes staying is just best for the kids (if there's no arguing) and so the woman (in this case) can get her life together and strong enough to leave at some point in the future.

Just a thought

Have a great July 4th long weekend my U.S. friends, I'll be watching the fire works from the Niagara River over looking the Peace Bridge.

Stay Safe All 🙂

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. An

Hi Anderson.

Hi bloggers.

Good night. And seeing again.

An.

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Krasi

Oh come on! this police officer should be on the Cops show!!!

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

Great report by Nick Robertson!

He's absolutely right. The Taliban have a real prize now..an American soldier and they most certainly will use him for anything they can think of. So, it hopefully follows that he will not be executed anytime in the near futurel This may give his fellow soldiers time to find him.

July 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. German, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

A so called "doctor" reportedly being paid a hefty $150k per month per MJ'S demand, and CPR was not performed properly? I could do that! Where do I sign up?

July 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. palin2012c

AC:
    MJ was a sad tragedy of being surrounded by people who looked after their own interests first without thinking about the well being of Michael. It happens far too often with money and celebrity. The real debate is whether or not anyone including those celebritiies like MJ who brought so much into this world should be given a state type funeral as they are exiting.

July 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Clara

Debbie Rowe had agreed to render her parental righst. Which mother who has carried a child for nearly nine month ever think of wavering her rights. Money played more important role in her life than the children she had given birth. Money bought her more happiness. Michael's wishes in his will should go forthright because he must have had given a lot of thoughts. He is not so crazy as some people think. He is intelligent and I believe he is a phenomenal entertainer and his legacy will live on forever more bigger than Elvis, James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. Your airing tonight is great and more focussed on Michael Jackson. I am so happy to see his rehearsal video clips. There was no doubt in my mind that he would have comeback.

July 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad see Nic Roberston was talking to Anderson that our troops will move in Afghanistan, Please bless our troops to safe there!

July 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have a feeling the Jackson memorial will be nothing more than a big circus.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Kari

If there is ever an example of how parents can impact a child with psychological abuse, this is it....He led a very troubled life and I hope now he is at peace. He is one of the most talented people and will be missed. I hope Michael's wishes are met when it comes to his children and their "mother" does not get custody. Let the children stay where they are comfortable and happy, and will receive the most love.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. susan

Speculation! Amazing.
    collect FACTS, data points. Wait for the completion of the post-mortem examination – the examination of the tissue, the spectroscopy. Then get the FULL report.

Meanwhile: celebrate the person and his life.

Make certain the kids are taken care of "appropriately." (The one thing I do agree with for the Rowe motion, keep Joe Jackson away from the kids as much as possible, or at least not unsupervised. Maybe he's mellowed with age, but you never know.)

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Michelle

I am so over the Sanfords. They really should
    think about what this is doing to their 4 sons.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. LisaL - Canada

it is always so disturbing to hear about someone being captured or disappearing. very disturbing.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. christine fournier

Yes, I am very happy that the rehersals were taped and that there is a possiblity of it going on to a DVD. I most certainly would purchase one. I think Michael looks really good in the clip we saw. A bit thin, and yes maybe not as quick as he usually is, however, let's get real, this is a rehersal and not the real thing. I think that if he had had the opportunity to do the real thing, we would have seen a very alert 110% performance from Michael.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Laurie

i am sure debbie is working out some sort of money pay off as we speak

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Holly

I thought the video of MJ wasgreat! You can see he appears to be in great shape with dancing as he always has done.
    Good job on reporting on MIchael from Anderson and CNN! I have been watching non-stop!
    I truly believe MJ was put under to sleep by the doctor and he didn't wake up. When the 911 call came in and said the doctor was performing CPR on him in bed, that was a clue right there that something isn't right. I am an EMT and you don't perform CPR on a bed.
    I will forever remember what Michael did for us in the world and the memories he brought to my high school years in the 80's!

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Isabel, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

Despite all we know of the fragility of the health of Michael Jackson, within us and to our eyes he was only the brilliant artist and the perfect dancer.

It is difficult to understand; it is difficult to accept (like in every premature death and unexpected)

July 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Tracey

@ Isabel ... when rehearsing most perfomers do not perform all out. Its called marking. You go through the motions and typically run through it but not full. This is normal!

AND, he's a 50 year old man. Of course he won't move like he did at 25. I though he was amazing in that video.

July 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Daniel- Canada

I hope they get the abducted soldier soon and unharmed!

July 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Jules

I wish everyone who thinks the media is ONLY focusing on the negatives of MJ's life would realize that the reason why the public wants to know about the cause of his death, is that we want to know MJ the man and not an attempt to distract everyone from his legacy. Let's stop pretending that celebs don't abuse prescription drugs. Let's acknowledge it and do something about it. Hasn't the world lost enough talent this way?

July 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Michelle

Those were some amazing footage of the military offensive
    underway in Afghanistan. I don't understand the disappearance
    of the soldier.

July 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. kyristal

Michael looks great and we all have to remember he was 50 years old and some people younger than him as a professional entertainer can barely move around on the stage...

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Francine

Hi All,
    If Debbie Rowe sues for 'her' 2 kids – would the LA courts really separate the three kids? They've all lost their father – the only parent they have seemed to know in their lives. They need to stay together. It would seem to me they should be a package deal.

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Mike in Ft Laud

I saw today on CNN that the kids get everything 80% and 20% to charity.
    go figure.. now EVERYONE wants the kids! people will be coming out of the woodwork with claims.

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. bob kaza

After such a trauma-losing your father at a young age how could Debbie Rowe taking 2 of the children away from their youngest sibling be in their best interest? The courts may see she tried to get custody a couple times out of concern, but will the courts also see for the right amount of $ she dropped her concern

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Tammy, Houma, LA

Mike, I wondered that as well since the original story was that the plane broke up mid-air based on injuries of the passengers found. It's a bit of a conflict.

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada

Debbi Rowe, sold her kids for 8.5 million. She is surfacing again for money only. This woman does not know these kids @ all. Talk about a scene out of "Mommy Dearest".

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. erin beidl

I want to Thank You for the coverage on Micheal Jackson! He is one Human being that will truely be missed! I feel soooooooo bad for his mom, and his sibling's! I'm really at a loss for word's. We lost a person that truely tried to make a difference for the one's who allowed him in their heart's! I did , Thank You Micheal Jackson, I wish I could have met you before you lefted us .

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

Was there a visitation agreement with Debbie Rowe?

I don't know if it's an important question, but at what point in the two hour show is the video from? and how many more rehearsals were there to be before the concerts?

July 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@David, I disagree that coverage has been too negative. If anything it has glossed over some of the really bad aspects of his life.

July 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Linda D Ohio

I think she was forced out of her childrens lives by money and power. If she couldn't have pictures of her own kids in her house, how was she suppusto see them in person.

July 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. starr formerly known as vincent

We are very confused as to why the soldier in Afganistanwas outside of his base, without arms. He had to realize that it was dangerous to do that!

We really hope and pray that by some miracle he will be found /rescued or get away!

37. Nancy/PA

Erica, that is NOT why Blanket is called Blanket! (dangling over the balcony) Michael nicknamed him that as a baby because of the loving connotation of snuggling a baby in a blanket. He explained that in an interview.

38. Krasi

Isabel, yes, he is not as jumpy around, but I am sure he was planning to be for the actual concerts. Plus, he was 50 now so I'm sure that makes some difference.

39. Amy

I hope the Michael Jackson funeral will be televised like James Brown, Coretta Scott King and Princess Diana. That will give closure to the fans from all over the world and they will get to see it.

40. Daniel- Canada

R.I.P. Michael.

His last rehearsal is electrifying! Gone too soon!

41. SeLina, Jersey City, NJ

I agree with the person over his tour...something happened between 12:30 and the morning/afternoon of his death. I hope when authorities find out who is responsible for Michael's death, they stay on them like the media has stayed on Michael all these years!! I hope Michael will finally gets to live the life he has been wanting all his life. He will be deeply missed and no one can ever take his place! MJ forever!

42. kyra sanders

i feel that music will never be the same since the death of michael jackson i belive that the media should stop highlighting all the negitives and foucus on all hes done for the world hes changed it unbaliveably my prayers are with the family rest in peace

43. alice

I am concerned about the intnetions of deb Rowe. A real parent would not choose to split up children. Even though the third child wasn't conceived by her, he is their brother–if she had good intentions–she would want them to be together. I am sure that they deserve to be loved. I can't imagine how they have lived and what they are going through. The kids are old enough, maybe they would like to get to know their boi mom. We should all say a prayer for the kids for them to find peace in all of this:)

44. Elizabeth

Re: Rev. Al – Whenever he gets involved, race becomes an issue. I've been glued to the TV since the story broke and I became a bigger fan of MJ due to stories being reported about him that I never knew. The reason this was not done when Elvis died is because that was 30 years ago and a much different world. We all lost an icon and people want answers!

45. bea

D. Chopra said MJ had lupus. He had vitiligo too. Autoimmune disorders can really affect your sleep. Add stress to the mix and ...

46. Vanda

Hello Bloggers! The last week I can not get enough of this Michael Jackson story. I honestly never knew he had so many video's on the internet and feel guilty for not looking sooner. Every day seems to bring sadder information. He will always be in my heart and forever on my mind! R.I.P Michael Joseph Jackson we will miss you so much.

47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

David, Indiana, Anytime a rich, high-profile celebrity dies there will be a lot of interest in his/her personal life especially when they are secretive about it.

48. Nina

Michael Jackson looked amazing. It's sad to hear how excited he was to perform but never got the chance. And whoever thinks that the Debbie Roe character is going to get custody is out of their minds. Hopefully she'll save herself some time and just let Katherine Jackson receive permanent custody of the kids.

July 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Carrie G

I remember when a 3 year old girl survived a crash in Detroit Michigan encased in her mothers burned arms and body. God Bless you and keep you in his arms the sole survior of Air France Crash. You can now make a difference in the world for god has gave you a second chance.

July 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Danette

Hi Anderson,

I think Michael looked no different than he has in past. He has always been thin. I am concerned if he could have completed 50-date concert, though. But all in all he looked good and normal based on his performance in the video.

July 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |